Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 78 of 183 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 182 183
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
anthropic - Great story - did you get any pictures of your trout fishing adventure?? If yes please contact Bob Lusk about your story and it will make a GREAT article for Pond Boss magazine. Lusk will write the story you just provide him some details and pictures. I suggest the article be published September-October 2020 which will be a good time to be stocking trout in ponds for winter spring anglers.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/30/20 07:23 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
A
Online Content
A
Hey, Bill, I'm sorry to say no pics this time, our hands were freezing. We'll try again and hopefully get some good ones. Never stocked them before, but really enjoyed them. Gorgeous fish, great fighters.

Last edited by anthropic; 01/31/20 12:43 AM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

T
T
Frank, what were you using for bait to catch the trout, hsb and lmb?

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
After a solid week of absolutely miserable weather, the last two days have turned to bluebird skies and high 60s. Decided to try my luck with at trying to catch something in the shallows. First cast with a yellow beetle spin resulted in me getting my line broke. Just a glimpse of the fish told me it was one of my two sow LMB. I switched to a 1/4oz terminator spinnerbait and started paralleling the shore line. About 15 casts later I landed this one.
Finally got the app updated, and remembered how to use it. Sorry the best I can get is a link.
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/eEPseiuJ2SUsSp5L9[/img]

I think after this years LMB spawn, I'll be trying to catch my two big females and turn them loose or transfer to a different pond somewhere. They're getting big enough to put a hurt on my bigger bluegill.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 02/02/20 06:24 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
P
P
Actually saw a 12” tilapia today basking in the shallow.... hmmm maybe they won croak this year

T
T
Yesterday I was checking the feed at one feeding station when I looked into the 3' water when this fish come out from under some bushy pondweed. I thought WHAT THE HECK IS THAT FISH? My first thought was it was the largest live cnbg I have ever seen and must have weighed two lbs. It looked like a big crappie because it was so big. I don't have crappie! Then I thought, was it a big RES? Pat, now you have me wondering if it was a big Tp even though I thought they were all dead at this time?

Here is a question to you guys. What bait and how would you fish this time of year for big one I saw? It's in tight cover with sunken trees and vegetation so it would have to be dropped in so to speak.

Last edited by TGW1; 02/03/20 08:53 AM.

Tracy
S
S
If it is a RES..............

Shorty had an old thread dedicated to fishing methods of catching RES. I thought I had it in my watch list but it is not there. It should be somewhere in this list though.

RES information and links to old RES threads

Crickets as I recall on a small hook or jig head. He also makes some small jigs out of plastic worm material that is about the size of a cricket.

I have always had best luck fishing for them just before dusk into dusk. They seem to come out in the subdued light to feed just before dark.

I doubt if a tilapia would pass up a cricket either.

A casting bubble (also thanks to shorty for the idea) can work to cast into an open hole in weeds yet let the hook drop to close to the bottom.

Last edited by snrub; 02/03/20 08:45 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
T
T
Thanks snrub, I tend to think of crickets during the spring and summer fishing. It maybe a good bait for the winter also. Another thing is res like low light and this fish I saw was in bright sunlight conditions with the unusual 70 degree weather we had yesterday. So, not so sure it was an res?

Last edited by TGW1; 02/03/20 08:58 AM.

Tracy
P
P
Tracy if you buy grey crickets don’t let any in the house..... noisy little critters

S
S
I will see them in bright sunlight when they are nesting. Otherwise I never see them.

Could a warm spell got it out to check nesting sites?

I'm not a good enough angler to think about seasonal baits. But what you say makes sense.

I have caught a lot of them in my confined tiny forage pond (back when I had RES in it) on the tiny Gulp Chartruse Waxies and the fake Gulp worms. Most were small ones though and there were no other fish to speak of to take the bait first.

In my main pond the BG are so voratious, a RES would have a hard time racing them to the bait. I have found the RES a lot of times to be very gentle biters. Like a slight tug, tug, then once they decide it is actually something to eat they take the bait. Not always, but often.

Last edited by snrub; 02/03/20 07:27 PM.

John

P
P
]Tracy if you buy grey crickets don’t let any in the house..... noisy little critters

C
C
I fished the pond for about an hour this morning between 9 and 10. I caught 10 perch along with 2 hybrid bluegills. The perch were 9 to 13 inches, and the hybrids were both about 8. All were released. It was nice seeing the average on the perch has gone up about 3 inches from last year. I may have to cull a few meals after they finish spawning this spring.

Spikes and 1 lb test and wolfram tungsten jig.

I noticed a couple of black grubs on the anal fin of this one.
None of the others had any. All looked healthy, which is great because last spring was a bad one for fish losses,mostly HB, but that is another story for a different thread.

Last edited by corgi; 02/04/20 08:05 AM.
S
S
It's not what was done today but what I didn't expect to happen.
My land was abused and left for dead over the last 100yrs.
Oil production pipe (water, gas, oil) was left for dead. I have been dragging it to piles for 2yrs. Scrappers hauled off 90% of it this weekend! 600+ft!! There's more I can't drag but I never expected that crap to be hauled off for free!!!
12 brush piles burned, lilies planted today next to the outhouse and the pond expansion clean up all add up to a really sweet start to the year!!!
The 100 CC will be big enough to start harvesting this year as well!
I'm very excited about this year and what's to come.

How are you going to know unless you try!

NW TX 2ac main pond fed from 1100ac watershed going through 2 2+ac sediment ponds. 1st filled 10/2018
900BG, 200RES, 200HBG, 100CC and 23# FHM...."Free" BH, GSF GSH, LMB & ??? 75LMB 3/2020
I subscribe!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: corgi

None of the others had any. All looked healthy, which is great because last spring was a bad one for fish losses, but that is another story for a different thread.

Corgi, depending where you are, add Redear Sunfish or Pumpkinseed Sunfish to your pond. They will eat the snails which is allowing the black spot to flourish.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
S
Really nice looking perch corgi.

Shortcut there is something about getting out and doing physical work to a place and improving it that is especially rewarding.

Last edited by snrub; 02/04/20 06:14 AM.

John

C
C
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: corgi

None of the others had any. All looked healthy, which is great because last spring was a bad one for fish losses, but that is another story for a different thread.

Corgi, depending where you are, add Redear Sunfish or Pumpkinseed Sunfish to your pond. They will eat the snails which is allowing the black spot to flourish.

Thanks for that info Essheup. I will research this with Dave, the biologist I deal with at Stoney Creek hatchery. Even though they are not on their list of available species, he may be able to get me some.

Last edited by corgi; 02/04/20 08:18 AM.
C
OP Offline
C
Corgi, awesome perch!! quite impressive.
Where abouts are you in MI again? I'm envious that you have ice safe enough to ice fish on. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving dry roads and no snow shoveling, but our ice is pretty slushy with temps barely getting below 30 at night and day times in mid 30s. We hit 50 something on Sunday, a beautiful day in SW GR.

Did your perch come from Stoney Creek? They are great people. I wonder where they get the perch from? I wonder what the genetics are from? I was told my perch came from original Lake Erie stock.

I agree, it would be awesome to see if you can get RES and see if they survive. I stocked about 25 and need fish traps or an underwater camera to see if any survived since I can't catch them. But they are very hard to catch and my kids do the fishing, they use corn and worms and usually target the shiners, goldfish and perch which are more aggressive. They are not fishing slow on the bottom which is what the RES need.

I haven't found a pumpkinseed source. Let me know if stoneycreek can order some, I'm interested. I do know of lakes where they can be caught and not sure how effective it will be to try to move them.

Interesting to hear you had a fish kill? If you have time start a thread and fill us in!

C
C
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Corgi, awesome perch!! quite impressive.
Where abouts are you in MI again? I'm envious that you have ice safe enough to ice fish on. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving dry roads and no snow shoveling, but our ice is pretty slushy with temps barely getting below 30 at night and day times in mid 30s. We hit 50 something on Sunday, a beautiful day in SW GR.

Did your perch come from Stoney Creek? They are great people. I wonder where they get the perch from? I wonder what the genetics are from? I was told my perch came from original Lake Erie stock.

I agree, it would be awesome to see if you can get RES and see if they survive. I stocked about 25 and need fish traps or an underwater camera to see if any survived since I can't catch them. But they are very hard to catch and my kids do the fishing, they use corn and worms and usually target the shiners, goldfish and perch which are more aggressive. They are not fishing slow on the bottom which is what the RES need.

I haven't found a pumpkinseed source. Let me know if stoneycreek can order some, I'm interested. I do know of lakes where they can be caught and not sure how effective it will be to try to move them.

Interesting to hear you had a fish kill? If you have time start a thread and fill us in!

Thanks. We're in Mecosta county. Stoney Creek Fisheries & Equipment is correct.

Dave LaBomascus is the biologist there and he has been very helpful.

I would not want to try any from local lakes as that may introduce something other than the fish.

Where did you get your RES?

When we fished muddy bay in Houghten Lake a few years ago,
SW corner of the lake , we use to use tip ups with 2 lb test, very small hooks, with one very small shot, half the size of a bb, with mayfly larva, "wigglers". We would then slide a piece of cardboard that had a slit for the line over the hole covering it. This kept the light from giving it away as
these fish are smart. We were also only fishing in about 4 feet of water.

We use to regularly catch RES in the 12 to 13 inch size. We would only catch a few any given outing, but they were dandy's. They're still there and just as hard to catch, but "wigglers" are the bait worked best for us ice fishing, and there are always the YP. We caught more of them than we
did the RES but nothing wrong with that.

The ice on Chippewa lake a few miles away is around 10/11 inches. I have a good 8 to 9 where I drilled in the pond, and I checked a few spots. Everywhere except where the diffusers are keeping the pond open.

Unlike the turkeys that like to walk to the edge to get a drink, break through, and then fly off in embarrassment, I stay away from the edge where I know it's not safe.

I've tried fishing the open water from shore in the pond with the same small jig and a bobber/spinning rod
set at about the same depth, and can hardly buy a bite, and yet I drilled 3 holes through the ice the other day and
all of them were producing. Go figure. Might of been the time of day, the hat I was wearing, or the way I was holding my mouth.

Long short story on the fish kill is the adjacent swamp flooded out the pond when the road commission busted up the ice dam at the culvert on the road. Swamp flooded and overflowed into pond.

Lost 117 HB, 15 YP, and 3 LMB. All had red soars or gray fungus. The stressors were the spike in phosphates and ammonia. Some of the HB were over a foot long. The pain is still with me.

The cure is about 1K for the excavator who dug the pond 20 years ago, and lives close, to bring in about 35 yards of clay/dirt and build up the area separating the swamp from the pond, as well as dredging out the drain that empties the swamp and skirts the pond.

Also I have been taking an ice spud when I walk down the road to check the culvert myself. Just to make sure an ice dam doesn't form again. When THEY open it, it is already a problem. I get the run off when they fix it. This winter I'm trying to keep it open myself. It's been a mild winter so I've not seen it backing up and only used the spud once to see how thick the ice was. About 4 inches. No problem yet. However winter in Michigan can be fickle. I hoping to have him do the landscaping next summer as the ground was too wet this last fall to get started.

Last edited by corgi; 02/04/20 05:26 PM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
For those interested in the fish in northern Michigan, I think the "RES" that corgi referenced in Houghton Lake are Pumpkinseeds not redear sunfish. I did a little home work and found this pretty reliable information. If the PS were truly 12"-13" long, they were trophy category fish, state records for MI which is PS = 12.6". So pumpkinseed sunfish can get 12"+. RES see below
https://www.aa-fishing.com/mi/mi-fishing-lake-houghton.html

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/f/fishery/aag2862.1471.001?rgn=main;view=fulltext
From the MDNR fish sampling report. Table 1. Catch by trap nets at Houghton Lake during 133 net-days, May 17 to June 18, 1955 Species Number caught Bluegill 2,070, Pumpkinseed 1,263, Rock bass 1,316, Black crappie 417, Yellow perch 28, Walleye 1,111, Largemouth bass 167, Northern pike 107, Smallmouth bass 100, Brown bullhead 1,341, Bowfin 72, White sucker 59, Gar 39, Yellow bullhead 11, Carp 3, Catfish 2, Redhorse 2.

The state record RES of Michigan was 12.6" long and caught in Lyon Lake a small, natural lake in Fredonia Township, Calhoun County, Michigan. The lake is part of a small cluster of lakes 6 mi south of the village of Marshall, Michigan. The latitude of the lake and annual winter climate is similar to Battle Creek and Ann Arbor MI.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/04/20 08:18 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the excellent research Bill. I was also wondering if in a shallow lake that far north that he might be catching pumpkinseeds and not redears. Big PS are in a lot of the lakes in that area and also in newaygo county. Pretty fish!

Corgi, you lost 117 HB, are those hybrid bluegill? Wow that is a lot of HBG to lose. I don't follow exactly how the swamp threatens your pond, but it sounds like overflow somehow goes away from your pond, but when ice dams up the overflow then it goes towards your pond?

I can see where a big surge of stagnant marsh water in the pond all at once would not be good.

What is the restocking plan? Many on this forum would be happy to have less HBG since balance between HGB, GSF, and LMB is a tough one to balance out.

The YP seem to do great in MI ponds. I wish the biologists in MI would give stocking advice around lots of time building forage, then use pellet trained YP as the middle of the food chain (fun to catch, great to eat, tolerant even in warmer water and shallowerlakes, and relatively easy to control numbers through removal of egg strands) and then encourage pond meisters to experiment with different apex predators (rather than LMB and CC) Once LMB are in the mix you almost have to have BG, or HBG and then the balance act begins to avoid stunting.

Sounds like you have a good plan, come good weather to fix things!

A
Online Content
A
3 inch pink plastic shad and brown 4 inch plastic worm. Bass on worm, trout and HSB on shad

Last edited by anthropic; 02/05/20 06:26 AM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

C
C
Thank you as well Bill and CC.

When I said a few years ago, I should have said early 90's. We drove from Lansing to Houghton lake just to target these fish, which we thought were redear.

We caught 6 one day, with about twice as many perch and a few nice gills, but the size of the pumpkin seeds, if that's what they were, as their color was much darker, and we thought they were RES, and much larger as well, and no small ones were caught. All were 10 to 13. On our last trip for them, in 95 or 96, we caught perch and bluegills, but none of the troph size PS. If these were PS and they are established in the lake, the same technique would work today. I believe the cardboard over the hole makes this technique work as tip- ups set in a hole with out the cardboard covering it would not catch any of them. Perch and bluegill would bite the wigglers, but not the PS. Cover the augered hole, and leave a slit in the cardboard with a small hole in the middle for the line to go through, was what made the difference.

I spent some time looking at pics of both pumpkin seed and redears and thought I could ID a pumpkin seed by the bright orange and yellow coloration, but the larger ones get darker, just as the ones we caught were.

Also, looking at the RES pics, I noticed a more pronounced red on the outside of the flap of the larger ones than on similar sized
pumpkin seeds. As I remember, the flaps had red on them but the larger ones had less than the smaller ones.

There are no records of RES being stocked in the lake by the DNR, or as near as I can tell, the lake association. This lake has extensive data that has been collected over the years from
net surveys, creel surveys, etc, and not one mention of, or pic of a RES could I find. So I will concede that these were probably PS, but troph sized ones.

I lost touch with Scott when he moved years ago, and I believe our last fishing trip was in the late 90s.

I thought that he had one mounted and a pic is worth a thousand words. If not, I know he would have some pics. I'm going to try the my wife/his wife face book thing, and see if I can get some pics.

Now I'm on a mission to catch one at a private lake my sister lives on. Locals on the lake planted 500 of them and I caught 4 or 5 last winter while fishing for gills/perch. The largest was about 9 inches.
I'll have my camera with me for the next few trips ice fishing there. I still have a few weeks of good ice.

As far as the pond loss of HBG, I'm going to put a thread together with satellite pics showing the pond, the adjacent swamp, culvert, creek, and try to explain what I believed happened. Too much off topic for this thread.

Last edited by corgi; 02/05/20 05:28 AM.
C
OP Offline
C
Corgi, you are on a mission to catch one at a private lake.. You mean RES? Locals planted 500 RES? that is interesting since if that lake is as far north as you live it would be interesting to see if RES can survive that far north.

I found some good pictures of some big Pumpkinseed or probably pumpkinseed/NBG hybrids that I had posted a while back. These were caught in a lake called 'Pine Lake' which is actually a series of a bout 5 lakes about an hour south of Grand Rapids.

You can see they don't necessarily have the bright yellow/orange belly and they don't have the brightest ear tab, but these may be hybrids as well. These were caught on the spawning beds sometime in May I believe.

In this link you scroll down about half way and you will see my post and some pictures including closeups.

Pumpkinseed/Hybrid PS?

C
C
Thanks CC.

The lake she lives on is little bass lake in the 6 lakes area just north of M-46 (Edwards)off M-66. After showing her a couple I caught last year, she told me of a gent on the lake that had put in 500 of them. They have made it at least two winters, and maybe 3 if I can catch another in the coming weeks. Last winter the larger one was about 9 inches. I love that lake for the easy limits of pan fish. Multi species from the same hole. Love it.

Bingo on the pics. The hybrid pumpkinseed/bluegill pics you referenced are it. These fish had the darker coloration typical of older male BG, and yet had some red on the ear flap, although not as much red as I've seen on the recent pics of RES I looked at. The females had the same, but a deep burnt darkened yellow coloration common with females
in the breast area. Thanks for that CC. It still doesn't explain the creel studies and trap nets that have not shown them, or lack of other anglers pics showing them. How many people fish Tip-up town every winter? A bunch, and yet I could not find any pics. Houghton gets tons of pressure year round by anglers so the lack of pics surprised me, although my google search was for RES, and PS, not hybrid PS/BG.

Still, thank you for researching this. Much appreciated.

C
OP Offline
C
With PS hybridizing easily, I'm surprised there are very many pure PS with their beautiful natural colors left in these lakes. But if you can get PS hybrids or PS from local lakes and get them in your pond that would be cool. A lake we like to fish in in newaygo county about an hour north has very nice PS, not very many of good size though.

I'd love to know how the gentleman at little bass lake got ahold of 500 RES (if they were RES) I know of no fish farms in MI that will sell them. I can't imagine he ordered them online and had them shipped in and did he transport himself from Ohio or Indiana?

Would be a good piece of information to know (not trying to get anyone in trouble though)

Page 78 of 183 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??