Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dave Davidson1, Groundhog7, TropicalKoi), 709 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I was thinking I would be close to state record size on my perch this year out of my warmwater pond, and as I indicated in a previous post I did get one that was 2 lbs. 1/2 oz and 15 1/4 inches. (State Record is 2 lbs. 8 oz)

Well tonight I got one that shattered the state record at 2.81 lbs (2 lbs. 13 oz) and 16 1/4 inches on a board. It was fun as fishing was slow this evening, and I had two friends over that witnessed it caught. We were just getting the average one pounders and I was hoping to pull in one of the bigger ones to show them how awesome they were.

I do feed fish in this pond (mostly largemouths), and I do sell fish caught out of my ponds to taxidermists, but according to my state as long as the fish was taken angling with legal means and I do not charge to fish it's legit. For the most part the bass don't allow the perch and bluegills to feed on the pellets but maybe some of them do on the outskirts or after the bass have finished.

One possible snafu is I hadn't purchased a fishing license yet as I don't need one in my state to fish in a private pond on my own property. I did purchase one online right after I caught the fish. If they disqualify the entry for that reason -- so be it. It's the personal accomplishment that counts.

I will have a site for you all to go to see pics. This thing looks like a yellow carp with stripes!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Cecil, congratulations!

I can't wait to see some pics.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Go Cecil! What did you do with it?

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bob,

After all the weighing and everything I have frozen the fish. I may thaw it out tomorrow and take pics of in on the ice to get a better more artistic picture as it was too dark to take outside pics after it was caught. I freeze all my fish on a flat plastic nonstick surface not wrapped at all, and then the next day I freeze wet paper towel over each fin. Once that freezes up enough to protect the fragile frozen brittle fins, I vacuum seal them in foodsaver material.

This one is not going into the deep fryer if that's what you mean! \:D

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, you dog... :p

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Oh my goodness!!! :-)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Can't wait to see the pics!!
Somehow I knew you were going to do that!
I'll bet it won't be the last record that comes out of your ponds either!

There's got to be a sense of acomplishment there!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cecil, I've been following your quest to raise larger fish for some time. One giant of any species can be a freak and lucky catch. However, you are doing it consistently on various varieties. You mentioned the brook trout and now the yellow perch. Congratulations!

But how are you doing it? We are taught that it takes the right genes, the right environment and a plentiful food supply to grow giants of any species. Oh yeah, that specific fish with the right genes had to somehow be one of the very, very few fry that didn't get eaten or die of illness or(?). Thats usually luck. Wildlife breeders work very hard and keep careful, detailed records in their quest to grow big deer, bass, elk, etc. I even heard of one guy that is using selective breeding to grow the ultimate fighting chicken. Had you done it only once I would say you got lucky. But, a larger one may be in your ponds. You aren't a breeder or the fish wouldn't have gone on ice. Therefore you are doing the right things with food and/or environment. When you come back down to Earth would you please take a moment to reflect and tell us how you are doing what we can't do?

Again, Congratulations!

Dave

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Davidson:
Cecil, I've been following your quest to raise larger fish for some time. One giant of any species can be a freak and lucky catch. However, you are doing it consistently on various varieties. You mentioned the brook trout and now the yellow perch. Congratulations!

But how are you doing it? We are taught that it takes the right genes, the right environment and a plentiful food supply to grow giants of any species. Oh yeah, that specific fish with the right genes had to somehow be one of the very, very few fry that didn't get eaten or die of illness or(?). Thats usually luck. Wildlife breeders work very hard and keep careful, detailed records in their quest to grow big deer, bass, elk, etc. I even heard of one guy that is using selective breeding to grow the ultimate fighting chicken. Had you done it only once I would say you got lucky. But, a larger one may be in your ponds. You aren't a breeder or the fish wouldn't have gone on ice. Therefore you are doing the right things with food and/or environment. When you come back down to Earth would you please take a moment to reflect and tell us how you are doing what we can't do?

Again, Congratulations!

Dave
Dave,

Here are some factors that could be instrumental in the large size and apparently fast growth of these yellow perch in the pond. Please be aware I am in no way an expert, but I am learning and having fun in the process. These are my educated guesses.

1.) The fish planted are primarily females, therefore there is very limited reproduction that leads to intraspecies competition for a food source. With an extremely large bass population in the pond of feed trained bass( I harvested over 100 bass over 2 pounds up to 4 pounds last year from this .62 acre pond and i planted 300 8 to 10 inch bass this fall),and whatever bass offspring that survive that are not feed trained, whatever reproduction there is of yellow perch, is for the most part consumed. I'm sure the perch eat their fare share of whatever young are produced too. I do know my feed trained bass will eat live fish if given the chance although they are quite lazy. (Welfare cases \:D )

2.) Female fish grow faster and reach a ultimate larger size than males, and this is not entirely due to their egg mass which can be up to 20 percent of their body weight. However, this egg mass that develops in winter and peaks in weight just before spawning is obviously a factor in the ultimate weight of these large fish.

3.)The fish that I purchase already have an accelerated growth rate due to intensive feeding in an earthen pond. Fish I purchase now in spring are 8.5 to 9.5 inches in length at 2 years of age which is several years ahead of any of their wild counterparts. So these fish have a head start on growth which is something Bill Cody believes is important for the ultimate maximum size potential of a fish in it's life span. However, there could be a downside to this. The fish could have a shorter life span.

4.) This pond is quite fertile due to the feeding of my largemouth bass, and an overflow of nutrient rich water from my trout pond that typically has the equivilent of 5000 pounds per acre of trout upon harvest time (hook and line too). Seechi dish phytoplankton reading in summer is around 12 to 18 inches at times.

5.) This pond probably doesn't get as warm as it could in summer due to the overflow from the trout pond, which may be more conducive to growth of a coolwater fish such as a yellow perch. In the past I was under the impression that the cooling is insignificant but I'm not so sure now. Before the trout pond overflow I had ponds temps in the upper 80's briefly during really hot weather. I'm thinking ponds temps now peak in the upper 70's.

6.) I don't get a lot of survival of the YOY largemouths and bluegill due to a lack of structure and weedgrowth for them to hide in and some of these fish could be being cropped off by the perch.

7.) I think these perch may be occupying a niche that the other fish aren't utilizing as in the deepest water of the pond near bottom.

8.) I aerate and mix the pond well with four diffusers, two at equidistances in the center of the pond that producer a very good boil and two between four floating cages next to my 70 foot pier that send moving water through the cages but also help to mix the water column.I believe the entire water column is being utilized by fish as I have caught fish near bottom in the peak of the summer. One interesting quirk of this pond I believe due to a lack of structure is I have capture YOY perch and bluegills in the deepest water near bottom where there is some occasional Chara. This could obviously contribute to the diet of these bottom dwelling perch. On the other hand maybe the primarily pellet trained bass are not utilizing fish that much which leaves them to the perch?

9.) The strain of yellow perch that I plant are a Lake Erie strain which is a big lake perch that may have a propensity to reach large size.

10.) I am only now keeping perch that I harvest and have left them unexploited in the past.

11.) I have had a incredibly prolific amount of snails in the pond in the past although they seemed to have disappeared from shallow water this late summer. I do think the perch are utilizing the snails as the 2 lb. 1/2 ounce perch I caught recently passed a snail shell. I do recall the new world record redear from the canal that joins Santee Cooper reservoir may have gotten that big according to authorities by eating some kind of snail.

As far as growing big trout that's a no brainer compared to other species. As long as you can keep the environmental conditions optimal and you feed them what they want you can grow them to a larger size. and my trout are not in moving water so they expend less energy.

Also the brook trout I have now that I have no doubt will break the state record this fall, will do so because the state record is so small. A natural feed trout typicall can't compete with a hand fed trout. I have the added benefit in that the particular strain I have holds the world record and they have a longer lifespan then typical eastern brook trout.

Not sure if I can break the brown and rainbow state record though as I am competing with well fed Great Lakes fish although the world record out of the Red River in Arkansas has me wondering.

One more comment; I don't see many perch feeding on pellets when I feed my bass. The bass are very dominant and push any other fish out of the way. However there could be perch feeding on the outskirts and after the bass have had their fill.

B
B
Come on Cecil tell us the truth. You got one of them there 169.00 fish shockers didn't you! Anyways congrats on the fish. I have only had one time that I could have been close back in 73 I caught a crappie that was as big as a dinner plate and sure it was at least Virginia citation size if not a new record lost it right at the waters edge broke a 13 years olds heart.

Bob

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Koerber:
Come on Cecil tell us the truth. You got one of them there 169.00 fish shockers didn't you! Anyways congrats on the fish. I have only had one time that I could have been close back in 73 I caught a crappie that was as big as a dinner plate and sure it was at least Virginia citation size if not a new record lost it right at the waters edge broke a 13 years olds heart.

Bob
Uh Huh. Only problem is if that was the case how did I get it up through the 8 inches of ice and seven to nine feet of water? :p

If I could only get the ice shanty out from my storage shed I could probably see these fish down there as the water is crystal clear right now. The ground got satuarated in front of the door of the storage shed and expanded when it froze, and since the door opens out, I can't get it open. I may work on it. On the other hand seeing a fish like this coming up to my bait could cause "Buck Fever" and I could set the hook too early. \:D

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Nice job Cecil!

Brad B.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Cecil, thanks for those pictures. They are wild.

Have you looked in the stomach of any of these perch to see what they've been eating?

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sunil,

I won't know until I mount the biggest one and open her up. Just cutting the belly open would ruin the mount.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Cecil, please post when you find out, because it's interesting about how your LMB may have been keeping the perch away from the feed.
Thanks.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hokie Dokie. I will empty the stomach and intestines into a glass jar filled with water and shake and analyize the contents. I do know the next biggest one at just over 2 lbs. passed a snail shell.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM