Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
H
I used to work in SpEd, where we talked about IEPs, MDTs, SATs, WISC-IV, WJ-IV, and I even started out on the S-B:L/M.

If you have children, you might have heard some of these acronyms. Anyone have a guess on what they mean?

Many persons who are very interested in ponds will soldier through and figure out how to navigate this site, what most of the acronyms mean, post pictures here, and so on. They won't be "driven away". But IMHO many will find it easier to check out Utube, FB . . . and then stay there. And someone who is currently only superficially interested in ponds may develop into a pond expert in the future . . . to be found on Utube, FB . . . in this competitive online environment.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I would say that the suggestion on acronym use was given in good faith and I think some of us took it that way and will try to reduce their use.

K
K
I didn't think that the comment was in "bad faith." In thinking about why people are not staying involved or why new people aren't joining, I just had a hard time picturing this being a factor and disagreed.

The acronym thing is a fair criticism and I thought it was a little over the top when I joined, though I'm not a huge fan of acronyms in general. "BOW" is a particularly silly one in my view, we are talking about ponds on PondBoss, right? wink. My response was simply from the perspective that it didn't - to me - appear to be relevant to the "slow around here" topic. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Kris

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Makes sense. I have been reading and learning from this community for a while now and really appreciate this forum. I just get frustrated sometimes by all the acronyms thrown at us these days, but am guilty of using them as well.

J
J
The recent discussion around acronyms has me smiling. Acronyms are always awkward around anyone who hasn't learned them. I rarely use them except for here ... even when I text. I only use acronyms when I have first defined them or in a community where it is typical for most or all to understand the acronym. Which brings me back to here.

Were it not for the prevalent use of acronyms, I probably wouldn't do it. But early on, it seemed appropriate to learn them and to use them when participating in the forum. I'm smiling wide because I have taken the time to shorten many of my posts through edits applying acronyms. Even so, I also often deliberately omit an acronym when in response to post where they are omitted. IMHO, acronyms have a place here and are very useful in saving space and keystrokes. I've got an 11 year old and a 9 year old. I can tell you that acronyms do not deter them in the least and that they have their own repertoire of them and are learning new ones.

I tend to agree with those who described the archives as being complete enough to answer common questions. Many prefer to glean from this resource and find it sufficient. There are a lot of ponds out there for sure ... but most are not managed intensively and most owners of these pond don't find any fault in them. They accept them for what they are and enjoy them anyway.

Last edited by jpsdad; 12/09/19 05:46 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

G
G
Lmao, some acronyms are a little more standard, or at least to me, I don't mind most and sometimes a new one can be kinda fun to decipher, but sometimes it takes me a second to figure out some of the fish species acronyms, fwiw, I enjoy the site very much and check on it nearly every day, I mostly have my struggles with posting pictures, for some reason I have a hard time getting my pics to the required size to be able to post, but I may have that almost figured out, been able to post a few. jm2c now Im gonna go fry up some CC that I caught on the river this weekend!

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
R
R
Gehajake ur my kinda smartass. You hardly ever use them. That post gave me the honest to god chuckles. My wife even looked over at me n said WTF you laughing bout. It's takes me longer to figure out how to write them in my head than it does to just spell it out. But I'm good with whatever. I find myself sometimes using short words like prolly, bout, kinda.

Last edited by RStringer; 12/27/19 08:27 PM.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
I would think the simplest way to handle acronyms would be for the the OP(original poster) to add the full description in parentheses after the acronym.

So if BCP(black crappie) or APW(American pond weed) was referenced, then there wouldn't be a need to hunt down the acronyms page.

Just a thought.

AL

J
jgr Offline
J
I keep a five page list of commonly used acronyms on my desk at all times. It was posted by Theo Gallus on 7/30/06 #92442. It has helped me a lot.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I try to minimize acronyms in scientific publications even though all but the most common acronyms (e.g. DNA) must be defined on first use. I do this because I want to respect the readers time (having to go back and find the first use). We are all inundated with alphabet soup these days, so I try to do my part not to add to the confusion. But as mentioned earlier, I also sometimes use the most common fish acronyms here. And I am a poor typist.

A
A
A running joke where I work is that we have too many TLAs and FLAs.

(TLA = three letter acronym FLA = four letter acronym)

L
OP Offline
L
I used to have to write hobby kit assembly instructions "back in the day", and I have barely gotten over it all these years later. I still write like my audience is in 6th grade. I cannot help it!
So I have to actively search and replace long strings with applicable acronyms to seemly sound like I know what I am talking about.

Well, that's my excuse and I am sticking with it.

My favorite is RTFM (Read the manual).

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
I would think the simplest way to handle acronyms would be for the the OP(original poster) to add the full description in parentheses after the acronym.

So if BCP(black crappie) or APW(American pond weed) was referenced, then there wouldn't be a need to hunt down the acronyms page.

Just a thought.

Have you ever been asked to keep your thoughts to yourself??

Asking for a friend.....

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
R
Sunil as a moderator it seems you should be a little nicer than that. Isn't that what a forum is (thoughts and questions with answers).

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
RStringer, they say you always hurt the one you love. It's been 5-6 years since Sunil and I were on a road trip together, so I'm thinking his separation anxiety was too painful to keep bottled up inside.

Here's a pic of me carrying Sunil's water bottle for him on our last trip. Good times.

Attached Images
XOXOXO.jpg
Last edited by FireIsHot; 12/13/19 07:52 PM.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
And I took that picture!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
S
Originally Posted By: RStringer
Sunil as a moderator it seems you should be a little nicer than that. Isn't that what a forum is (thoughts and questions with answers).

I think there is some history there that goes back a ways. Kind of an inside joke all in fun, that those outside the loop do not recognize.

I learned early on in this forum that Sunil likes to pull chains, but only on those he is close to. grin

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I was just kidding!

FireIsHot (aka Dreamboat Annie) make such a nice target...especially around the holidays.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
R
Glad to hear you fellas know each other then. Dont get me wrong I love a good smartass I happen to be 1 of them myself. I was thinking you was just being rude. That pictures looks like the Rock and Danny Devito lol.

Attached Images
Screenshot_20191214-093250_Gallery.jpg

Originally Posted By: RStringer
Glad to hear you fellas know each other then. Dont get me wrong I love a good smartass I happen to be 1 of them myself. I was thinking you was just being rude. That pictures looks like the Rock and Danny Devito lol.

Usually one of the two us will lob a cannon ball across the bow of the other when we're bored. In all honestly, I consider Sunil a lifelong, forever, trusted, moderately adequate friend.

AL

R
R
Did you 2 know each other before the forum? I have been wondering how many people have actually meet up. Snrub is the only one I know of that is close 2 me.

No we didn't. In my old life, I worked every third day, and I could take days off when I wanted them. I actually first met Sunil years ago at Richmond Mills on a fishing trip. I've driven to several member's get togethers in Nebraska, Illinois, and Brian's(Highfyler) place here in TX, and met quite a few "distant" forum members, and have continued to PM and see them on a semi-regular basis. In fact, Scott(Esshup) comes down from Indiana every year or two and helps me with pond related projects that are 2 big for me to handle by myself. John's(Snrub) place is on my list next time he has one. I first met John when he and his wife drove down here for one of Highflyer's deals in TX.

All playing aside, I've really learned a lot by visiting other guys/gals ponds, and not only got to put a name and face with a username, but learned tons. A perfect example of that was my trip to TJ's place in Nebraska. I obviously knew about fish cages, but I'd never seen them utilized in a pond in such a positive manner. Now I have fish in them almost daily, and several sitting around if needed.

RStringer, sometimes you gotta fill that gas tank up and hit the road. It really can be a lot of fun, and a great learning experience as well. I need to do a get together myself.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 12/14/19 03:20 PM.

AL

R
R
Very well wrote I'm pretty new to this whole pond stuff. I do like learning about them. Never would a thought there so much to them sides water and fish. I find all of it very interesting to read about. I had just started really getting into bout the time of snrubs last deal.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
FireIsHot paid a visit when we were building our cabins.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

R
R
Log cabins are pretty damn sweet. If that's a hole for a window I'm gunna need to see some after shots. I'm a sucker for a good story.

Last edited by RStringer; 12/14/19 07:35 PM. Reason: Spelling sucks

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??