Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,071
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (Shorthose, Justin W, Requa, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing), 770 guests, and 184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 71 of 183 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 182 183
R
R
Supervised youngest son and his fiance cutting hedge (osage orange) to make a line of brushy cover along bank in new pond. Went well but ran out of daylight before we got it all tamped down and fully positioned.

S
S
Pulled the pontoon paddle boat out of the water for the winter yesterday as well as the fish cleaning table and plumbing. We went from 60 and pretty nice day Sunday and predicting mid teens for the temperature by sun up. 25 mph winds and sleet today. Brrrr. Drove past the pond a couple times while bringing up wood to split. That is as close as I got to doing anything with the pond today. Lots of wind and waves.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Got 6+ inches of snow last night and today. Had about 20 ducks on my little puddle enjoying the open water before the temp drops to 5 tonight. I expect we will have skim ice or hard water by morning. Those ducks better make a move tonight or I just might be pulling them out of the ice in the morning and inviting them to Thanksgiving dinner! grin

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
snrub...We basically went straight from summer to winter with a few nice Fall days...it will be in the mid-twenties tonight in Dallas...but normally these kind of low temps wont last here. I bet the tilapia will die earlier this year...I didn't see any dead this weekend, but it's got to be close.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It went lickety split from 70's to low 20's here, In the teens further North where my property is. It's hunting season but, so far, no reason to go. I was there 3 days on opening weekend and saw nothing. Didn't hear a shot and I can usually hear them from 5 miles away. Grandson and his girl friend went last weekend. They saw nothing and only heard 2 shots around the area. I'm crediting that to a huge acorn drop. Corn is piling up under the 6 feeders. Even the hogs aren't messing with it. The high winds will bring down more acorns.

I'll probably go there in a couple of days just to get my butt out of the DFW area.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Originally Posted By: Zep
snrub...We basically went straight from summer to winter with a few nice Fall days...

That ain't no joke for sure.

Mark, I like to feed my CNBG heavily when the water's in that 60-85 degree range. It only lasted a few weeks before I had to reset the feeders for more limited winter throws.

Just a random thought, but I wonder if you could install an external waterproof switch on feeders that would cut the power to the slinger/auger, and keep it from spinning on cold fronts like this one? It doesn't matter if the blower keeps spinning on the regular cycle, but stopping the slinger/auger would sure keep a lot of wasted food out of the water without losing all your feeder settings by disconnecting the battery.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 11/12/19 07:40 AM.

AL

S
S
Cormorants on the pond this morning.

Uggg.

John

Woke up to 3 degrees and hard water this morning. A few ducks flew in early, ice skated for a couple minutes and left.

Nice thing about hard water is no need to worry about cormorants, GBH, etc! smile

It might make it interesting for Keystone to stock my fish on Thursday though!

[Linked Image]
J
J
A little bit of ice around the pond edges this morning.

R
R
To cold to do anything on the pond. Good thing I got something to keep me busy.

Attached Images
Screenshot_20191112-095942_Gallery.jpg

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
T
T
A walk around the pond, scouting for cormorants, showed me that I most likely have an otter or two at the pond again. I keep a close eye out for scatt (Poop that has a large amount of fish scales in it) and for excess fish scales in piles around the bank. No slides along the waters edge were detected at this time so I am pretty sure I have found the otters early. The WAR BEGINS once again. DAM OTTERS!

Last edited by TGW1; 11/16/19 08:01 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
S
S
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Originally Posted By: Zep
snrub...We basically went straight from summer to winter with a few nice Fall days...

That ain't no joke for sure.

Mark, I like to feed my CNBG heavily when the water's in that 60-85 degree range. It only lasted a few weeks before I had to reset the feeders for more limited winter throws.

Just a random thought, but I wonder if you could install an external waterproof switch on feeders that would cut the power to the slinger/auger, and keep it from spinning on cold fronts like this one? It doesn't matter if the blower keeps spinning on the regular cycle, but stopping the slinger/auger would sure keep a lot of wasted food out of the water without losing all your feeder settings by disconnecting the battery.

Bingo Al! This is my first year with the TH feeder and I was wishing there was a simple toggle switch to switch off the feed for a few days at a time. My fish went from gorging themselves to not a trace of interest after a 15 degree night. So I had to go set the two feedings of 5 seconds I had reduced to to zero seconds. I'm pretty sure with some warming weather I will feed some more (fed up to about the first of December the last few years). How convenient it would have been just to toggle a switch off then turn it back on when the weather warmed. Not that the timer is that hard to set, but a simple on-off for all the settings would be a welcome addition. I'm sure I could put a switch in line and do the trick, just surprised the company has not already figured that out.

Last edited by snrub; 11/16/19 09:27 AM.

John

I wonder if you could take it one step further and wire in a thermostat and/or maybe a barometer?

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/16/19 10:10 PM.

[Linked Image]
B
B
It has probably been over 3 weeks since I've seen a BG feed, and very few were feeding for the last few weeks that I did see them. I still had a few FHM feeding until the pond froze over Tuesday. It is still about .95% iced over. I don't remember when it iced over for the first time last year, but I know it wasn't this early.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Did nothing on the pond. Spent a day messing with water well. Bottom line is that the Yankeefied temps in the mid teens froze my water pump and the pump burnt up. I had a heater in there but lost electric power on that breaker. Will either buy a new pump tomorrow or bite the bullet and just call a well service pro and make the problem go away.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
T
I sat in the shoreline duck blind hoping some ducks or otters would show up at dusk. But did not see any ducks or otters. I did see some TFS action and maybe some GSH action. I've ben told the GSH looks like raindrops and the TFS look like nervous water or ripples. I saw a little of both but not sure if there two different types of fish. I did see a little surface action from something feeding on them along with a Kingfisher that seemed to get all he wanted.

Tracy
G
G
Hearing all you guys from Texas talk about the cold and freezing weather is putting a damper on my ambitions, after a month or so of this cold weather here in Mo I have visions of cranking up the RV and head south toward south Texas till it warms up a little but now I am having to rethink that,, I do realize Texas is big and there may be some huge temperature variations in localities.
I have a friend here who has a house in FL, he heads outta here after Christmas and tells me to let him know when the crappie start spawning and the morel mushrooms start popping,, he'll head back. I love that theory.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Had a long time friend out to the ranch this past weekend and he brought his two girls. It's fun watching kids enjoy the outdoors and get away from the big city, get away from video games, and enjoy nature. The youngest caught her first fish. She probably reeled in 5 fish. The older one really got hooked on fishing. By the end of the weekend she was baiting her own hook, removing hooks from fish. They both had a blast playing with the worms and minnows too. Their Dad shot a hog, and they got to see him clean it hanging from a tree. Of course their Mom back it Dallas said she worried it would traumatize the girls seeing the dead hog, but I guess it's not traumatizing watching the trash on TV or the internet all day?...lol. So the girls fished, saw a wild hog, boated, cooked out, had their first trip to a feed store...the youngest started holding her nose in the feed store, and we finished off the day with a Sat night bonfire. Those kids wanna come back soon and they are gonna tell their Mom that too!

Very cool Mark.

AL

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Thanks AL...no sign of any dead Tilapia at my place...how 'bout you?

R
R
Very cool of ya zep. I wish there was more like us out there. They will remember those times forever and so will you.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
S
S
Originally Posted By: Bobbss
It has probably been over 3 weeks since I've seen a BG feed, and very few were feeding for the last few weeks that I did see them. I still had a few FHM feeding until the pond froze over Tuesday. It is still about .95% iced over. I don't remember when it iced over for the first time last year, but I know it wasn't this early.

Mine were not feeding a couple days ago so I shut off the feeder. Went out today just before lunch and did a test throw for just three seconds. Lots of BG and CC going after it. So I did a longer test throw with the same reaction and turned the feeder back on with 3 feedings of 5 seconds each. Warming trend seemed to help the feeding activity.

John

B
B
Snrub, it warmed up enough over the last few days for the ice to melt off so I threw a few handfuls out and some FHM came up to feed, but no BG. It is supposed to be warmer this week than it's been for a while, so maybe some will feed later in the week.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
T
T
Zep, how COOL is that? Sounds like a great time and the girls will most likely remember it the rest of their lives.

Tracy
T
T
Hand feeding with Purina LMB for the first time in about a week. Been to cold for me. My first feeding took place at the pier and near one of the feeders. The fish were fairly slow to react. The lmb and hsb did feed but it took about 10 to 15 min for them to eat all that was thrown out. About 250 cubes. The second place was at the feeder located in the deeper water where I saw about 30 hsb gathered up along with a few lmb. Tossing out another 250+ cubes they were very aggressive. Food was gone just about a min after each cup was tossed out. These fish were different sizes but most were in the 3 to 4 lb range. It may be time to toss a bait and do a little fishing smile A side note is I have seen a couple of dead floating 10" Tp.

Last edited by TGW1; 11/19/19 09:34 AM.

Tracy
Page 71 of 183 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails