Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (jpsdad, Shorthose, Layne, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 623 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
All,

These discussions are the reason I would like this forum to host all of the pictures I post here. I believe the ability exists, and I know the pictures I post here will remain here.

I would love to know if Bob and Mike have any plans to upgrade the site. Add a secure connection (TLS), and the ability to host all of the posted pictures. Just to name a few upgrades that are available.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
For me the value of the site is the knowledgeable and friendly folks here. I do not expect anything will last forever. Its fun to see pictures, but I personally do not sweat losing access to posted pictures at some point. I do care that my sentimental personal photos are backed up in multiple places.

Last edited by RAH; 10/27/19 11:36 AM.
Originally Posted By: highflyer
All,

These discussions are the reason I would like this forum to host all of the pictures I post here. I believe the ability exists, and I know the pictures I post here will remain here.

I would love to know if Bob and Mike have any plans to upgrade the site. Add a secure connection (TLS), and the ability to host all of the posted pictures. Just to name a few upgrades that are available.

I agree that would be great Brian! Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen as I recall several posts in the past from Sunil stating that the forum is a big money loser for Bob and Mike. I would expect it is more likely the forum just goes away. I could be wrong as they may consider the forum as a valuable marketing tool to get new subscribers to the magazine. I don't mean to be a doomsayer. It just seems to me, if the forum is important to them, we would see Bob and Mike participating more.

...just my 1 cent

P.S. ...and yes, I donate every year to the forum. I still think that button should say "invest" instead of "donate." I have saved a lot of coins as a result of the advice from the forum!...what the heck, I think I will click that button for a second time this year!

Last edited by Bill D.; 10/27/19 08:44 PM. Reason: clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
R
I’m always trilled to see the forum owners post, but I feel the moderators do a fantastic job of keeping the machine humming. I personally don’t come here for absolutes, but rather opinions and different perspectives so I can make an informed decision. Some decisions work out, some don’t, but they are mine. There is a forum on the “Book”, but guess where they send people with hard questions? Good ole Pond Boss, the owners reputation in the industry make this the go to place for reliable information. Well done everyone!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Bill D., you bring up an important aspect which is the financial viability of the Pond Boss Forum.

We have heard in years past from some who felt that the forum's goal was not to make money in and of itself, but more so to drive business to the magazine, Bob's consulting/fisheries business, and Otto's dirt moving business. And as such, forum users should not have to lend any financial support to the forum; they certainly have a point.

Assuredly, the first purpose of the Pond Boss Website, as it is with most all businesses' websites, is/was to drive business to the companies.

Then the forum came along, and it took on a life of it's own, as it grew and morphed into something more (note the get togethers, regional and national, etc. The internet friendships and those that developed into physical friendships, the camaraderie, etc.) The forum also gave numerous people the confidence to start their own businesses (Nate Herman, Esshup/Scott, Rainman/Rex, Blaine Hession, etc.)

Now, as we sit here today, Pond Boss could have a website that still drives business to their companies...and they could have that without the Forum.

If Lusk and Otto decided that they no longer wanted the expense of keeping the forum up, every single one of us here would be incredibly sad. We would all have a major hole in our lives. We no longer come here to drive business to Pond Boss as we are already customers of either the magazine or Lusk/Otto's businesses. We come here for each other, warts and all. And we honestly all love it.

It is that realization that more of us must come to. If we love this place so much, then imagine if it was gone. That alone is reason enough to support it financially.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
R
SUNIL very well said. I just made my donation. It was only 10 bucks that I did but what if 10,000 of the 16,000+ memebers do that ever year. That's a $100,000 a year. That should help pay for some upgrades every now and then. I would be very sad if this went away. If your reading this jump up to the top right side of the page and click donate. Who on here cant give 10 bucks. Now that I think of it I should have did $20 maybe next time.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I haven't read through much of this thread, but I've gotta admit one of the reasons I don't ask more questions and participate more is due to the fact that 90% of the most valuable and commonly sought out information is archived. Going through the Common Q&A section or doing a proper google pondboss.com search almost always gets the answer I'm looking for. I find myself frequently bumping old threads to ask additional questions. This forum could stop all posting today and I'd still be searching the archives several times a week. It's an incredible resource. I wonder how many others like myself spend more time reading old threads than partaking in newer ones. Just my 2 cents.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
R
R
I do both. I always look at the recent posts then I go thru old post. Yes the new post could stop and still be a wonderful resource but its also nice to see all the improvements of ponds.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
A
A
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I'll ask the obvious question...what keeps the other, currently free, sites from following Photobucket's "Bait and Switch" scheme sometime in the future? Especially, if Photobucket is successful with this strategy.

Nothing keeps it from happening, or maybe they just shut the doors like tinypic.

If you have images that you care about a free service is not a good place to put them.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Augie....because of you I am giving Photobucket another chance. I had not signed into my Photobucket account in forever. It was fun looking at all my old pics. However they immediately notified me I was over my limit for storage, so I paid up and we'll see how it goes. It doesn't seem as slow as it was when I departed, so maybe they have cleaned up their act. We'll see...

Fishing has never been about the fish....

L
OP Offline
L
It probably sped up since they must have shed quite a few accounts when it became a paid service.

One problem I have is how images are served up on a lot of sites, they don't have an extension so php wont embed them.

Here is a view from my roof:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nV8Myx9nF5AgSPfbA

Kind of a nice spot.

It is kind of rotten that it is money-loosing for Pond Boss, especially since traffic is obviously quite low on these forums.

A
A
Originally Posted By: Zep
Augie....because of you I am giving Photobucket another chance.

I hope that you don't wind up regretting that.

I tried every trick I could think of to use my DropBox site. It worked for linking pics, but no matter what I could not make it work with UBB for embedding pics. I spent a couple hours conversing with DropBox tech support and they couldn't figure it out either. I could embed pics on other sites, but not here, and there was no mechanism for the automagical resizing that happens with Photobucket.

If I can figure out how to get Photobucket to do a couple of the automagical things that DropBox does, I will drop the DropBox subscription and be money ahead.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Augie...it's certainly worth a try. I used Photobucket for years. They had an edit function that was great and very user friendly. The new version may not be perfect for me...we'll see...but it could still serve a purpose as a place to store images and do some minor edits.

BTW....I really like this site for editing images:

https://ipiccy.com/

Fishing has never been about the fish....

L
OP Offline
L
Well, there is always WordPress. *shudder* as much as I dislike it, it is a viable alternative to ubb, and allows flowing articles on the front page with comments, etc. It does need a lot of customization to make it relevant to a particular site.

https://wordpress.com/

May be worth looking into as it would allow integration of the main site with the BB, making it a little easier to manage with interactive articles. It would also allow Blogs, which for the pros here, could be valuable to gaining customers and supporting them.

Bringing over the archive of this data may be the trick. Not sure how that would be done.

B
B
MODERATORS please feel free to PM me direct if more appropriate?

I don't understand why we're unable to host pictures on this site and keep them contained herein. I have fun a few forums for years and never found hosting plans to be expensive. And by that I mean less than $100/month provided massive storage space and great bandwidth. So $1200 per year should get PondBoss Forum everything it needs to have pictures and disk space and bandwidth. MAYBE if we get a concrete number members will donate to subsidize the cost?

Does anyone know who hosts this forum and what the monthly (or yearly) rate is, and what is included? Often large disk space is included but the money is made on the network bandwith (and high quality photos can chew through bandwidth). Can we get real numbers to learn if we (forum members) might be able to assist in sourcing a better host / plan so that pictures could be uploaded and contained here and not linked?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I asked Lusk to chime in here, so let's see what he wants to do.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Hey Guys,
Just read the entire thread. Great input! Loved seeing Sparkie chime in as well.

Here are my first thoughts...when we started the first forum, in 1998 (yes, 21 years ago), it took a few years to outgrow the software. With help from the founder of the Texas Fishing Forum, JP Greeson, we went with UBB and have stayed with them since 2002. Yes, we can upgrade, if we want to spend the money. When we started the forum, we basically had two goals. First was for information and idea exchange. Second was to drive business to the website so people would subscribe to the magazine to help fuel the business for profit.

That's not what happened. The forum became a family and I was amazed at the strength of the friendships that formed. To this day, I'm still amazed at the friendships and relationships and what this forum has done, not only for pond owners, but for all the people who have been involved in it, even those that show up for a short time. It's truly humbling.

Just today, a man who found this forum years ago, called me. He's fishing near where I live and wanted to come by for a few minutes. We talked about what Pond Boss has meant to him, how information from here has helped him help his neighbors, his ponds, and his life in general. He lives in Illinois and has attended a couple of the Pond Boss conferences as well. He made my day.

I didn't expect the forum to take on its own life, but it did. Today, with all the different types of social media choices, it does make sense that this forum slows down.

Frankly, the value this forum brings has nothing to do with Pond Boss's bottom line. I wish it did. Actually, it should. It's greatest value, to me, is the people who participate and share their knowledge and experience. The archives are a fringe benefit. The dollars it brings are not.

Yes, the forum does lose money. We spend about $400 each month on the host, and advertising revenue doesn't come close to supporting it. Few advertisers wish to support the forum, but quite a few are happy to have banner ads as part of their bundled advertising package with the magazine.

If the members want to ante' up and contribute to upgrading the UBB software, we'd welcome that. As a businessman, part of my mindset does believe in "pay to play", especially when there's so much value here. One of the hard sells/obstacles I've seen over the years is people not truly understanding what information they get here actually saves them by not making fundamental mistakes. I've gotten many emails and notes from people telling me that the magazine and forum have saved them time and money by figuring some things out before writing a check. At the same time, I've heard comments time to time from contributors stating that what they tell people has value, and therefore that's their contribution, rather than dollars. I appreciate that point of view as well.

Here's what I'll do next week...I'll get with our staff and have them investigate what it will take to upgrade the software. I'll report that back to the forum. This is your forum, too, and if you guys want to upgrade and will come up with enough money to do it, we'll do it.

That doesn't change the fact that I see huge value of this forum because of the people who participate. We've watched a number of people start their businesses here and have been proud to help them do it. We've watched people grow. Heck, I remember when Greg Grimes and his bride weren't able to have children, and Greg felt a sense of family here who helped him through it. Then, when their two babies were born, we were there for them...all of us. How important is that? It's reasons like that that I won't let this forum die.

Regarding people who have disappeared...I have banned a handful of people and all of those have been for good reason. My life has been threatened, people have threatened to harm my family and friends...over a dadgum forum! The people who have been banned were given chances over and over. They didn't play by the rules and they're gone, and I'm glad they are. I still look over my shoulder from time to time with one particular nut case. But, like Sunil said, that's 7 or fewer people. All others who left did so on their own accord.

Here's the bottom line on that topic. If people can play by our simple family rules, they are welcome. When opinions or topics become toxic, I'll step in and do something about it. If people are antagonistic, I'll call them out. Then, stop the behaviors and we continue. Or, choose to go away.

I do think part of the reason this forum has slowed is because of other social media. Yes, I do a Facebook Live broadcast most Wednesdays. I do it to share knowledge, entertain people, and answer questions. I also do it to drive business for Pond Boss subscriptions and to solicit business for our advertisers and yours truly. Since I make a living as a lake consultant, that venue is a good place to get in front of another crowd.

Didn't mean to write a book, but this thread really hit me in the "feels". Glad to read the passion. Heck, I want to drive to Kansas and see John Burns. I bet if he turns sideways, you can't see him.

Back in a few days, after we check out what it takes to upgrade.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Make Pond Boss Great Again! Just kidding. I have learned so much here. I actually have a Purdue fishery expert wanting to bring students to visit my YP/SMB pond this spring to see if I have "special conditions". I told him he is very welcome, but I am just following advice from this site. Keep up the great work and keep Pond Boss great! It's people, not technology, that makes this forum great!!!

J
J
There are some nutcases on forums. I have been on another forum for almost 16 years. Here's a link to a case that happened because of that forum.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdok/pr/california-telescope-enthusiast-sentenced-prison-cyber-attack

A
Online Content
A
Congratulations, RAH!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

S
S
Originally Posted By: John Fitzgerald
There are some nutcases on forums. I have been on another forum for almost 16 years. Here's a link to a case that happened because of that forum.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdok/pr/california-telescope-enthusiast-sentenced-prison-cyber-attack

Did not know you were interested in telescopes John.

Here is an interview of my son Jason. He is big into telescope digital photography.

Astro photography

Part 2

shows some of his pictures

Last edited by snrub; 11/02/19 10:27 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Thank you. Was really excited when retired neighbor reported back on his success catching SMB of various sizes. He remembers catching SMB in local streams many years ago, but they are all gone.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Well said and done Bob. Dang, have I known you and Otto that long?

Prior to PB Mag and this site, there was no pond info out there. Then, after PB started, Mississippi State put a Q&A area under their site. There have been a few more and some may still be there.

Had this site existed prior to me stocking my first pond, I wouldn't have killed everything. TWICE

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
I'm pretty new on here and am really struggling with renovating my pond. I am getting a quote on dredge with a small DINO6 dredge for a 2 acre pond. I've asked lots of questions on here but no one ever replies. This really reduces a forums traffic IMO. My initial post had a lot of replies but the last 3 had near none. I've asked for help on sealing a galvanized drain on an old pond as well. crickets. I've moved on to other resources. This forum has left me a bit disappointed. I'll soon not check the forum at all.

Jin,

Sometimes a question comes along that requires some special advice where there are very few people qualified to answer. If it has been a while, type "bump" in the reply area of your post so it comes back up again with high visibility. You can often find the answer to a question by Googling your question and add the keywords Pond Boss. Here is a link I got that way this morning for your topic. There are many more.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=338970

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/04/19 08:05 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??