Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,015
Posts558,535
Members18,532
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
3 members (Boondoggle, Bill Cody, JoshMI), 826 guests, and 175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Hey y'all,
I need some help. I notice a couple of weeks ago that a log had blown across my pond or atleast I thought a log anyway. I went and looked yesterday and it was a dang dead deer not a log. My question is should I remove it or not worry about it and let the turtles do there job? It's actually a 8 point buck that I thouht about pulling it to the bank and cutting the antlers off but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Has anyone had to deal with this kind of thing before? I figure he got gut shot and run to the pond for the water and fell in.

I am mainly scared that when the dang thing pops (he is still bloated) then the chemicals let into the water will kill my fish.

Thanks for the help inadvanced, Mike

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Depends on the size of your pond but I would be more concerned with depleting oxygen levels as it decomposes than anything else.
I would get it out asap!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Hi Mike, I'm not an expert on anything, but just wanted to give you a quick reply so you don't think we aren't interested. The experts will weigh in soon. I'd take it out cut off the 8 points, brag that I caught it on a purple roostertail, bury the deer and go watch the football games.
Randy

Just do it...
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Since turtles are dormant in KS this time of year don't expect much help from them. By the time turtles become active again in your pond the deer will probably be beyond a condition that they will eat it. The decomposed carcass will contribute lots of added nutrients to the pond and stimulate additional plant growth; most probably filametous algae. Amount of growth will be dependant on how big the pond is; smaller it is the more noticable the growth will be. Use caution and common sense in removing the carcass from an ice covered pond. It is a dangerous situation.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
OP Offline
M
My pond is just shy of 2 acres. It was covered with ice last week but it thawed this week. I am waiting on a salvage tag from the game warden. The forcast shows good till late in the week then it might ice over again.

Mr. Cody, you are suggesting that it is OK for me to leave it in the pond if or when I do cut the antlers off? I really have no where to take it if I had to remove it. The pond is only 125' from my back door so pulling it out and leaving it on the bank isn't really the choice that I want to do. I don't have enough land to take it to one side let alone trying to get it there with out it blowing up and causing a mess where I really don't want it.

My pond has some water that is 9'-10' but the majority is in the 5 foot range. Very clear water most of the year since there are about 4 springs that run directly into it. I have lived here about 6 years and I have seen the water not run through the over flow pipe 3 times in the heat of the summer but then come up and start running again with out no rain. That should tell you how good the springs are.

Any other questions I can answer let me know, Mike

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Mike - If it was my pond I would not want that rotting stinking mess in my pond water and causing lots of excessive algae come spring time. Be aware the nutrients from the decaying deer will be trapped in your pond to be used and recycled until the phosphorus is finally sedimented into the muck layer and is relatively bound-up there. When you get the permit, ask the game warden where to deposit the deer or better see if he will help you get it out because you don't want it in your pond. The DNR always seems to want to claim, guard & protect allthe wildlife until it is dead, then they could care less. However they all (gov. wildlife agencies) get quite excited about someone having certain dead bird feathers and mussel shells). Interesting philosophy.

Worst case I would drag it to the back of the lot and cover it with leaves until spring when you can bury it. Too bad the buzzards are in sunnier regions this time of year.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Lots of animals will eat it if you get it out of the water where they can get to it.

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
If you're going to take it out, take it out soon. The longer you wait the more difficult and unpleasant it will be. At some point it may actually come apart if you try and tow it out.

If it's not too late I would lash a rope around the antlers and pull it out with a vehicle or something. Maybe have a hole pre-dug that you can drag it over an have it fall in. Forget about the antlers! Peeeeeeeeeehew!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Pre-dig hole where you want two nice trees. When you are digging the hole and think you have dug it deep/big enough....stop, drink a beer, and dig one more foot. cover deer. plant one/two trees next to or on top. Those trees will grow green and strong for the next 10 years.
Toby

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I remember about 3 years ago finding a dead deer at the back of one of my ponds. Seems like bow season had just started so someone lost track of it. As much as I wanted it out, it died in a hard to get to spot, plus by the time I found it, you couldn't stand to be on any bank of the pond it smelled so bad. My advice is to use your own judgement and think about how bad you want it out vs. how bad you really want to go get it out.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I remember reading something about building a maggot box to feed the fish one time. I thought about building it but couldn't imagine the smell.
Maybe this is your chance to tell us if it is worth it. Does anyone else remember reading something about this?

R
Lunker
Lunker
R

Ric

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Blazzzy, jkrueger
Recent Posts
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/17/24 09:57 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by H20fwler - 05/17/24 10:51 AM
Bird Deter for patio furniture....