Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, Sunil, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 778 guests, and 224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#508712 07/10/19 09:56 AM
J
JKS3613 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
With the approach of this latest storm, they are predicting anywhere from 8-18" of rain for my area this weekend. What is the current wisdom on how to run aeration during such an event? I would think that leaving it on would be best so as to mix the incoming cooler water as it arrives, but then again, as Mike mentioned earlier, doing so may cool it down too quickly. What do you guys think?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
What is the visibility ? Color ?

Do you have ideal watershed, less than ideal, or excessive?

Fish on!,
Noel
J
JKS3613 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Color is a pretty fertile green with visibility only about 12-14" right now. I have had a constant bloom ever since I started it up. I have been running aeration from 11:30 PM to 9 AM. When I checked yesterday afternoon, I still had about a 5-6 degree difference from top to bottom, however, with the shorter run time the DO was almost non existent near the bottom. When I ran 24/7 the DO was great top to bottom but the temps were too high so I had to pick my poison and decided to go with maintaining some type of temperature refuge.
As for my watershed, There is only about 2 acres that drain into the pond and any overflow goes right out the spillway. That is unless we have a major event (8-10"). If that's the case, I will be screwed because at that point I will get overflow from a local bayou along with all of the undesirables that will bring. They are in the process of building a diversion canal that will eventually route all of this excess water straight to the Mississippi, but that project is still 3 years from completion. If I can just hang on until then....In the meantime, how do I handle a deluge as far as aeration goes?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Temp refuges with no/low DO are not refuges for fish.

The situation IMO is whether to risk that large amounts of cool rain and overcast skies will kill the plankton bloom and significantly decrease DO. I would try to get the DO as high as possible pre storm.

I like the direction ewest is taking this.

I have often contemplated the same efforts...what to do with aeration wrt large rain events. I have a larger then neccessary watershed and have taken temp readings of inlet, pond, and outlet waters during storms, but have always found them to be very close if not the same. So, I have never adjusted my aeration schedule.

I have done some reading wrt DO and rainwater and found that rainwater carries fair amounts of DO, no real data, just fair amounts.

If it is during the season that my aeration is in use, I would probably do nothing. This allows the water to change temp on it's own, likely a slower overall change.

If it happens in the off season, once again, doing nothing seems appropriate so that dead water is not brought up, adding to the environmental change.

The more I think about it, the more scenarios I can come up with, but I have not run across one wrt to temperature that would change my course. Ewest has put a new spin on it for me, however. Time to add to the scenarios!

Last edited by Quarter Acre; 07/10/19 01:50 PM.

Fish on!,
Noel
J
JKS3613 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: ewest
I would try to get the DO as high as possible pre storm.

Thanks, that makes sense. Just turned everything back on. It should be becoming cloudy and cooler by tomorrow so that will relieve some pressure there. After tomorrow, who knows???

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre

I have done some reading wrt DO and rainwater and found that rainwater carries fair amounts of DO, no real data, just fair amounts.

Yes any activity the disturbs the air/water interface will add DO to some extent. Rain , wind ,aeration , boat motor all do that. While rain does add DO it is not enough to offset the sudden die-off of large plankton blooms and the decomposition of same that uses up oxygen. Large rain events like hurricanes or stalled weather fronts all to often cause fish kills. Oxygen saturated waters have a better chance to meditate the issue on the front end. In those type events as a last resort try to create a DO refuge by using a boat motor to stir the surface and or move the diffusers shallow (3 ft).

Last edited by ewest; 07/10/19 04:03 PM.

I'll be monitoring my pond and once the cloud cover hits, I'll likely increase the run time on the fountain to bump the DO level. As of right now, the plan is to disconnect the bottom aeration from the airline and move it indoors, just in case the pond level rises to a point where it may get to the pump. Luckily the fountain pump isnt affected, only the plug connection, which I will elevate and make more water tight. I dont think itll be as bad as Harvey, which dumped 45" of rain, but a 4" downpour will overburden my drainpipe temporarily.

Hope everyone in this thing's path are spared any major hardship.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
Lunker
Lunker
As a general rule of thumb I will up my aeartion times to run 24/7 when cold, cloudy, rainy weather rolls in for a few days in the summer heat. I go back to regular nightime aeration once the weather stabilizes and the sun comes back and it starts to warm up, I see it as insurance if the bloom dies off suddenly.

Hey Shorty, down here near the gulf, I dont think there's any such thing as a cold rain after the end of May. You may see an air temp drop of maybe 10 degrees for a short time as the rain moves thru, but then it just gets nasty as soon as the sun pops back out. If you're lucky, you get a couple days of cloudy weather, but its still so muggy you can barely breathe.

I've resolved myself to putting up the bottom aeration until we get daytime temps back in the 80s....maybe October if we're lucky. I may get to up the run time on the fountain back to 12 hours, but even then, I'll have to keep a close eye on the bottom temps.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
Lunker
Lunker
Those cold front that make it your way hang around for a little while here. Daytime highs here in August are usually in the upper 90s or better, on occasion we will get a cold front that put the highs in the upper 60s to lower 70s for several days in a row. It will drizzle on and off and be cloudy with light wind after the cold front passes through. This is the type of weather that will shut down a bloom abruptly and cause a summer fish kill. I will start aerating 24/7 right before the front gets here just to play it safe, it also cools the water down significantly.

In your case I would worry about the influx of muddy water and extended cloud cover for several days in a row.

Last edited by Shorty; 07/10/19 09:16 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Shorty is right. I would do just that ! Hold off on cutting off bottom diffusers as long as possible.

Hey Eric, I havent ran my bottom diffuser in a couple weeks now. The temp was getting way too high throughout. If I remember correctly, it was 90 on top and 86 on the bottom. Checking the temps just after the fountain shuts off still has a variance of only 7 degrees, but it opens up to 95 on top and 85 on the bottom by sunset.

I'm not able to get a DO reading, but with the temps being so close, I "think" I'm getting a pretty good mix.

Originally Posted By: ewest
Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre

Yes any activity the disturbs the air/water interface will add DO to some extent. Rain , wind ,aeration , boat motor all do that. While rain does add DO it is not enough to offset the sudden die-off of large plankton blooms and the decomposition of same that uses up oxygen.

I was referring to the DO content of the actual rain drops, meaning that the drops are not void of O2, hence, the runoff that enters the pond is not void of O2 either. For what it's worth.

Fish on!,
Noel
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes rain has DO for the same reason oxygen mixing at the air/water interface as it falls through the air. Then when it hits the pond it again causes air water mixing at the pond water interface.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Your temps are going to drop and I hope the DO levels don't follow. I would have the diffusers ready or on. You may need them.

Thanks for the advice Eric. I'll be keeping a close eye on the temps and the pump/diffuser is at the ready if needed.

Looks like this area of the state is going to get a bit of a reprieve from Barry as his projected track is putting the storm further east. May get some high winds but rain predictions have fallen to around 5 inches.

Its 80 degrees at 4:30 this morning with a north wind. I dont think it's going to cool off much.

J
JKS3613 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Since I went back to 24/7 two days ago, DO levels are back to almost saturation levels, top to bottom. Unfortunately, temps are also now consistent at about 90 degrees. Incoming rain will be cooling it off soon. As of now, they are predicting as much as possibly 25 inches of rain here over the next 3 days! Sure hope that prediction is wrong!!!

Since your DO saturation is back up throughout, I'd back off on your run times again to keep from over stressing the fish from a temp perspective. Give them a chance to cool off a bit. 90f is very alarming....to me anyway.

Hang on to your waders bro. Its bout to get real!!!

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 07/12/19 09:04 AM.

J
JKS3613 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley

Hang on to your waders bro. Its bout to get real!!!

Sure is. Looks like its going to go right between us, Morgan City being the last place I heard. I'm on the wet and windy side so I just hope it's more rain than wind. If it's windy, power will be out for days or worse. We were out for 14 days after Gustav. Miserable.....

If you dont have one, you really should get a generator. Started mine yesterday just to make sure. Hurricane lamps and flashlights at the ready! I cant run everything at once, but I can cycle thru everything and keep things frozen/cold. Even run A/C. Stove is propane so I can cook.

July/August...in southern Louisiana....with no electricity...that's about as close to hell as you can get with both feet above ground.

J
JKS3613 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
If you dont have one, you really should get a generator. Started mine yesterday just to make sure.
July/August...in southern Louisiana....with no electricity...that's about as close to hell as you can get with both feet above ground.

Having no AC is the thing that most worries me about these storms. As you know, unless you have experienced the heat and humidity after a storm, there's just no describing the misery. I'm like these fish, I need some sort of cool refuge to escape to at some point! As for the generator, I was pleasantly surprised that it cranked on the third pull after sitting outside in my shop for the last 5 years. After running it for 14 days straight after Gustav, I changed the oil, put stabil in the gas tank and ran the carb dry. That seemed to be the ticket!

Good luck to you guys, hope it doesn't get too bad. My oldest son and brother both live in the Lafayette/Youngsville area so they are pretty worried with this latest shift to the west.

Less than 100 miles from Barry's center and we barely recieved 1/4" of rain and an occasional gust of wind (the advantage of being on the clean side of a hurricane). The temps did drop into the mid 80s and almost constant cloud cover, so I took advantage of the conditions and switched the surface fountain to run continuously.

Sure hope everyone on the nasty side of this storm are faring well with no major hardships.

J
JKS3613 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Been a big nothingburger so far. I've gotten about 4 inches total but it has been a little here, a little there. They really underestimated the impact of that dry air coming in from the North.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images