Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
Along the lines that using a kiddy swimming pool for a fish tank/holder is a no-no due to the chemicals (gasses ?) it emits, does Polyethylene Film (standard visqueen) pose any problems as far as the fish's health is concerned? I searched and did not see where this product has been addressed as a solution to helping with water loss (ie: leaks). My wonder about visqueen comes after pricing regular "pond liner" material. Ouch!!! if you do want good pond liner though, try http://www.watergardencreations.com/main/index.asp

Tnx

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Double-Camp:
Along the lines that using a kiddy swimming pool for a fish tank/holder is a no-no due to the chemicals (gasses ?) it emits, does Polyethylene Film (standard visqueen) pose any problems as far as the fish's health is concerned? I searched and did not see where this product has been addressed as a solution to helping with water loss (ie: leaks). My wonder about visqueen comes after pricing regular "pond liner" material. Ouch!!! if you do want good pond liner though, try http://www.watergardencreations.com/main/index.asp

Tnx
According to "Small Scale Aquaculture" by Steven VanGorder they use swimming pools with liners all the time. However they "acclimate" the liner before using it with fish. One method is to scrub it with detergent and rinse well, another was to lay it in a pond for a while and allow to sit there. Allowing it to sit in water for a while was a big part of it.

As far as the plastic you are talking about, I did use a similar plastic that I purchased from a Greenhouse supply company for a small 25 by 30 holding pond that was seeping. I was assured by a fish farmer it was nontoxic. However it did get
punctured by my diffuser when I set it in place and the pond then continued to seep.

In retrospect one of the big negatives for me using liners is the lack of natural nitrification at least initially -- you get with an earthen bottom pond. I ended up using the "sprinkle" method with betonite for this small holding pond, and it worked out much better and was less expensive. The holding pond no longer exists as it is now part of a much larger pond.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images