Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
Attached is a picture of my property along with my neighbor's pond which ends just feet from my property line. The yellow line indicates the path that water takes from the neighbor's spillway, across my property, and into a small creek before exiting my property.

I would like to add a pond on my property, but I'm not sure how to do it considering the spillway from my neighbor's pond cuts directly across my property. What would need to be done in order to prevent the water from the neighbor's spillway from washing out the back side of my levee?

Attached Images
Pond Spillway 2.png Spillway 3.png
R
R
Where were you thinking of locating your pond?

D
OP Offline
D
Anywhere that's feasible, but I assume this is the best location considering the lay of the land.

Attached Images
Pond Location.png
A
A
I have a similar situation with my pond.

If you're willing to live with whatever kinds of fish are in the upstream pond you could build your pond to catch the spillway discharge from the neighbor. I didn't want the neighbor fish getting into my pond so I terraced and graded to take the upstream pond overflow around my pond.

There was a bit of erosion that happened before I got grass established on the back of my pond dam, but not to the extent that would be considered major damage. Without knowing the size of watershed you have it's impossible to say how much flow to expect.

If your dead set on it being in that location, you have two options. You either dig a diversion ditch from his pond around yours, or you let his overflow discharge into yours. One is going to be more expensive, the other could mean you getting unwanted fish in your pond as well as less than desirable water chemistry if he isn't managing his.

My neighbor's watershed flows into my pond, as a favor to not flooding his yard, and it's a constant battle to keep my little pond straight with all the nutrients flowing in.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
B
B
I don't see how you could build and have enough watershed without his pond overflow being used. I think that is just going to be part of it if you want a pond on your place unless there is watershed coming from a different direction. Still, keeping his water out won't be easy from the pic.

Last edited by BrianL; 04/15/19 11:44 AM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
R
R
Another piece of the puzzle is what is your intended use and goals for the pond? How much do you want to manage the pond? Leading a decision if drainage from neighbors pond is a problem or not. Some people just want a wet hole with fish in it and others chose to have very specific goals. No right or wrong answer just what you want.

Watershed would be my biggest concern...Your neighbor's pond looks to be in the 1/4 acre size AND I do not see much erosion from it's discharge, meaning that is does not outflow too much water. With that said, I would think that your neighbors pond has a proper (or, possibly, a less than proper) watershed (does their pond stay at full pool or does it drop low in the dry times?).

Where is your pond going to get its water if you do not use the discharge from the other?

AND, Will there be enough watershed if you do use the discharge to fill your pond that appears to be closer to the 1/2 acre size?

You will have created enough pond to require watershed for approximately a 3/4 acre pond in total and if his is just right, your will struggle to keep water as a decent level.

Welcome from West-Central MO!

Fish on!,
Noel
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
One thing to keep in mind is that you will likely need to be sure your dam does not back up water on your neighbor's land. As a plus, your neighbor's pond will act as a settling pond. If watershed is limiting, sealing up the pond well will be critical. My new 1/2 acre pond has very little watershed, but is sealed up tight as a drum and dropped very little last summer. We also built a wetland/sump that has less watershed than water surface area but still held good water the last couple years (since we built it). We have another wetland with great inflow, but it was not sealed up well by the government mitigation folks that built it, and it goes dry most Summers.

N
N
It may be cheaper and easier to just buy your neighbor's pond. You could always expand it onto your property. Just a thought.

Last edited by N.TexasHalfAcre; 04/15/19 06:05 PM.

NTHA - North Texas Half Acre
Cattle Ranch Ponds
J
J
How is your relationship with your neighbor? Can you work with your neighbor to build a pond dam on the fence line?

C
C
Did you end up building that pond? An interesting decision you made, though. I don't think I've ever dreamed of a pool. Actually, the most exciting thing is, I couldn't afford to think like that. The family I come from is not a rich one. This is why my wishes are more modest than those of other people. But anyway I dream of my own house and a big garden. I kept searching on several forums and rental sites until I found the perfect option. I was delighted with my new home because I can afford to organize parties for my dear friends.

Last edited by Carolayec; 05/20/21 06:49 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??