Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 27 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
B
Bobbss Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
I thought I'd do an update. Still no gully washers for me, but I've had a lot of smaller rains, and the pond has kept inching it's way up. I went by yesterday and it was the highest it's been so far. Not by much (about 6"), but it's nice to see it higher than it's ever been. I knew it was getting close to being back up to where it was last March when it first came up but soaking it all up, so I started comparing pictures from then and now, and it's been higher than last March for about two weeks now. I think it's at about 10' now and has about 9' to go. Still seems to be doing the same as far as when it comes up to a new level it drops a little faster at first, then slows down when it's been around the same level for a while.

For a little while there, I was hoping for no rain so things could dry out enough so I could have my pond builder come out and work on my watershed area to improve my run off. Then I twisted my bad knee a few weeks ago, so I went back to hopping for rain until my knee gets better. lol!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
C
C
You mentioned 'hopping' for rain. Doing the rain dance with a bad knee might set you back a little further... wink

J
J
We have had several soakers here since first of the year. My new pond is over the spillway for the ninth time since being built in December 2016, and the old leaker got to within three inches of the spillway yesterday, but is now down 3/4 of an inch.

B
Bobbss Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
Canyoncreek, I meant hoping. lol! I already know my rain dance is no good or my pond would be full already. lol!

John, there has been lots of big rains just south of me, they just don't make it all the way up to me. lol! It's been almost a year since I've had a big enough rain to give me run off from above the sediment pond.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Bob, looks like we’ve got a bit more moisture coming in the next week or so. I hope you get it full this winter. With the ground frozen hopefully you’ll get great runoff. St Louis is still getting twice the rainfall that I’m getting up north. Hope you’re getting a lot of it.
Post a pic or two when you get a chance.
Jeff

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
J
J
Our ground has only been frozen superficially this winter. The lowest we have had is 11 degrees, and not for long at that. Ponds never been completely iced in.

B
Bobbss Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
Thanks Jeff, here is a few pictures. The frozen one is from today and the others are from about a week ago. Not much to look at yet.

Attached Images
pond192.jpg pond193.jpg pond194.jpg

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
B
Bobbss Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
Originally Posted By: John Fitzgerald
Our ground has only been frozen superficially this winter. The lowest we have had is 11 degrees, and not for long at that. Ponds never been completely iced in.
John, I think mine has been iced over off and on, around a 3rd of the winter.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
S
S
Originally Posted By: Bobbss
Thanks Jeff, here is a few pictures. The frozen one is from today and the others are from about a week ago. Not much to look at yet.

Shaped like a slice of pie!

Is the overflow at the far end of the picture? Or is that where water will enter.

Last edited by snrub; 02/14/19 07:18 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

It looks like it would suffer from too much water coming in. Those are steep hills going up above the water line. My agent wanted me to have 10 ac of drainage for a 1 ac pond. You’ll hopefully get some good gully washers soon.

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
J
J
The pictures make it look like there is not enough watershed, unless there is much more past the bottoms of the pictures.

B
Bobbss Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
Originally Posted By: snrub

Shaped like a slice of pie!

Is the overflow at the far end of the picture? Or is that where water will enter.
That is where the water comes in,at least if I get a big enough rain. Lol! That's the little sediment pond. It will always be some what of a slice of pie shape, but should round out a little when it gets full.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
B
Bobbss Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
Originally Posted By: SetterGuy

It looks like it would suffer from too much water coming in. Those are steep hills going up above the water line. My agent wanted me to have 10 ac of drainage for a 1 ac pond. You’ll hopefully get some good gully washers soon.
Jeff, that steepness is the main reason I get as much run off as I do. The biggest part of my watershed is so heavily wooded that it takes a really big rain before it gives me any run off. I have about 7 acres of watershed for what I hope will be a .75 pond, so about the same as you.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Ok, got it.
Just back from the pond. I’ve actually got water coming out the overflow pipe. Still frozen over. This is the longest I’ve ever had it iced over. No snow on the ice, so I think the fish are ok. I hope so anyway. Going to be 18 here tonight and in the 20s at night for the next two weeks. I don’t think the ice is going anywhere.

Otter attack in 2023
B
Bobbss Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
Originally Posted By: John Fitzgerald
The pictures make it look like there is not enough watershed, unless there is much more past the bottoms of the pictures.
John, most of the watershed area is above the little sediment pond. Of the 7 acres of watershed I have, probably around 4 acres or more are above the sediment pond. I'm sure a little water seeps down to the pond from up there, but I haven't seen it run off from up there since last March. It's came close to filling up the sediment pond a few times since then, and was right there last week and I thought it was going to start flowing from the sediment pond, but no such luck. Lol! Another half inch of rain and it would of been flowing. Lol! Things are wet enough right now that a good size rain would give me a lot of run off. I really need to get him out here and work on my upper watershed so I can get better run off.

Last edited by Bobbss; 02/14/19 01:20 PM.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
B
Bobbss Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
Jeff, glad to hear your pond is full!I hope I can say the same one day. Lol! I'll be glad when all this ice stuff is over. Lol!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Bob, you getting some of this? 2”+ here in St Louis. Of course, .6 up north, but I. Hoping you’re getting a lot of runoff with this.
Jeff

Otter attack in 2023
B
Bobbss Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
Thanks Jeff, I got about 1.6". I finally got a little run off from the upper water shed, but it was near the end of the rain when it started flowing out of the sediment pond. At about 4:30 when I checked it last, the rain had been stopped for an hour or so but it was still trickling in, so I'm hoping it will come up a little more yet. So far it was up about 13" from this rain. The big question is how much it will soak up. lol! It was holding pretty good for a while there, very little drop, until a few weeks ago when I'm guessing the ground started thawing out and it started soaking up a lot again, which I figured it was going to. Right now it's the highest it's ever been, at a little over 11'.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Well, I would have thought you’d have been running out the spillway. Seemed like yesterday’s rain was never going to end. Looks like lore rain in the forecast.

Last edited by SetterGuy; 03/31/19 09:09 AM.

Otter attack in 2023
B
Bobbss Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
Jeff, I wish. lol! I was surprised to get as much as I did out of 1.60" of rain. It cam up another 4" over night for a total of about 17". Still not what I call a gully washer, which it's been a full year now since I've had one of those. If I would of got 3"-4" I'd call it a gully washer, but I still don't think that would of filled it, but might of got close. Hopefully I'll get some more good rains while things are still wet enough to give me some good run off.

The FHM seem to be liking the Optimal, and are feeding better all the time. They even feed pretty good today after the rain and a big temp drop.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Bob,
Are you full yet? Been thinking we’ve had enough rain to fill all the ponds in eastern MO. My pond up by Mark Twain Lake is running out the overflow pipe. We’ve had almost twice the rain down in StLouis. Hope your pond is full!
Jeff

Last edited by SetterGuy; 05/02/19 10:03 PM.

Otter attack in 2023
J
J
This is just about the wettest winter I can recall. I'm about 15 miles south of Bob and my pond hasn't stop running except for a hand full of days all winter - and that's with a 1/2" per day leak to boot. I wish it'd dry up enough to get the tractor in there. I've got a lot of work I need to do. As soon as it stops raining I'm sure I'll be cussing that too! LOL

East Central Missouri
1 1/4 acre pond, build fall 2011
1/8 acre baitfish pond build fall 2022
[Linked Image from lh6.ggpht.com]
B
Bobbss Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
I know it sounds crazy with all the rain we've had in the area, but I never seem to get as much as most in the area. Channel 2 said they got about 1 1/3" today, I only got 1/2". Yesterday I think they said they had got about 2 1/2" since Monday, I only got about 1.6". That's the way it always seems to be for me. This week is the most I've had in about a month. I've had lots of small rains, but not one big one all year. Most of the rains I've got has only raised the pond 1"-3" at a time.
Then on another sad note, every since it came up a few feet higher than it's ever been and ground thawed out, it's been dropping more per day than it was and hasn't showed much sign of slowing down. Hopefully it will start holding better again soon.
It's only a little higher than it's ever been right now, so this spring has been a big disappointment for me so far. I need to get 5"-6" of rain in one week, not over a whole month, at a 1/2" or so at a time. lol!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
I’m sorry to hear that. We’ve already had about 20” in St Louis this year. That’s way above normal. Half that at my place, but still enough to keep it running out the overflow pipe. I hope you get that big gully washer soon.
Jeff

Otter attack in 2023
B
Bobbss Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
Thanks Jeff, I thought you was getting more rain up north, with all the flooding going on up north. Every time I see the flood water around here, it drives me crazy trying to figure out how to get some of it in my pond. lol!
I'm still waiting for the guy to come out and work on my water shed, so I can get better run off.
My biggest concern right now is it isn't holding as well as it was, now that it has new ground going under water for the first time. If it doesn't start holding better after a while, I may try some SoilFloc.
I was really hoping to start stocking by now, and have been trying to decide if I want to take a chance and do some stocking.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Page 23 of 27 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??