Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#502826 03/08/19 12:13 PM
OP Offline
I built my 12 x 16 floating dock about 4 or 5 years ago with plastic barrels for floats. They are leaking and the dock is listing now. Since I have to pull the dock to replace them I'm going to replace the barrels with "store bought" floats and hopefully do it only once. The best price I've found are for Eagle Floats from Walmart, 36" x 48" by 16" are $135 each DELIVERED. The free shipping is what makes this attractive, you can find better pricing but the shipping cost is a killer. Any thoughts on this product or know a better source? As usual, thanx in advance!

D
D
I used 55 gal food grade drums 3 years ago and they do not leak. You just have to use a silicone sealer when screwing on the caps. I paid $15 each for 18 white barrels from someone I found on craigslist. I used your plans when building my dock and they were great. But a storm this winter separated my gangway from the shore and I need to do a repair but I don't remember how to set it up. Unfortunately, the images you originally posted do not reload and it would be most appreciated it you could repost you photo of how you attached the gangway at the shore end. Thanks, Larry

OP Offline
I got my barrels from a local carwash for free, as far as I know they are all the same, just depends on what they put in them. I carefully inspected my barrels and used silicone on the bungs and I positioned the bungs horizontally (at 9 and 3) with hopes of keeping them out of the water. After I attached the gangway I got a little list to that side due to the added weight but the bungs on that side remained above the water line when the dock was unloaded. I added some weights to the opposing side to level the dock, but I needed a little more weight but never got around to adding it. The stability was “OK” to me but several visitors thought it was very unstable. I discounted their opinion since they were not water/nautical types and had limited exposure to these things. As I stated in my original pose, if I gotta pull the dock, I want to do it only once. I’ll improve the stability, durability of the floats and increase bouncy. Later I want to add a metal roof and a winch stand to pull my 10’ Bass Hunter onto the dock and get it out of the sun. I’ve ordered the floats but I’m afraid their installation will be delayed since I have a knee replacement scheduled for mid April.
I didn’t know the URL to my photo server was broken, they are still in the same place. Here are two links, one to the original dock build and the second to Phase 2 where I added a 16’ section, hand rail and benches.
https://public.fotki.com/jsing/hambrick-rd-1/dock-build/
https://public.fotki.com/jsing/hambrick-rd-1/dock-build-phase-2/
These links will take you to the “thumbnails” page where you can select each pic for larger viewing. If you are on an unlimited internet connection (not a metered connection) and bandwidth is not an issue, you can select the “Roll” option near the top and it will load all the pix sequentially and use your wheel mouse to roll thru the pix.

T
T
I also have the same sized 12x16 floating pier supported with the same numbers of barrels. And after four years I need to replace a couple that have started leaking a little. Plans are to lift up one side at a time using the front end loader on the tractor. I will be keeping the barrels instead of the floats mentioned because of the 13 to 1500 dollar cost. Hay! I am tight with money on some things and not so much on other things lol. I also experienced some list to one side when I added the gangway. To counter the list I added a 5 gal bucket with 50 lbs of quikcrete as a anchor. I attached to a boat cleat that I added to the pier on the opposite side of the pier, where I was able to adjust the counter weight anchor. Not perfect but it did help.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
OP Offline
Tracy,

If I was replacing barrels with barrels that was my plan also but with the eagle floats I need to add additional 2x6's for the floats to bolt to. I have access to a crane so I'll detach the gangway and move it over to the bank as close as I can. I'll rig a chain on the outside corners and lift the far side of the dock and roll it over on the bank. This will give me full access to the bottom to modify the structure and bolt on the floats. Then I'll reverse the process and flip it right side up back in the water. The cheapest supplier I found ships from Arkansas, if you pass thru there sometimes you can pick them up to save shipping for less than $1K, and you don't pay sales tax. A frugal shoppers dream.

T
T
My plans are to build a floating duck blind this summer. We have one but plans are for a second one. This is to be transported from the farm to the area where we hunt so I have been considering similar floats for the blind. Mostly because it will need to be built into sections for transportation. Another reason for the floats like yours is because I might not be able to change out barrels every couple of years.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
D
D
Thanks, great photos. Very helpful and much appreciated. Larry

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images