Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,809
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
5 members (Theo Gallus, teehjaeh57, Boondoggle, TLL, FishinRod), 1,125 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
L
I am sure that a good deal of scientific work has been done on the effect of cormorant, herons, etc. on ponds. Does anyone here know how much real damage they are likely to do to the fishing in a sporting pond? What size fish are they generally eating? How many bluegill would they have to eat to make a real difference?

I have to confess to having a lot of sympathy with Norm's POV. We enjoy having a pair of greater blues and one or two green herons around, but I have been under the impression that they eat only small fish and that the mainstay of their diet is frogs, etc. We only have rare cormorant passing through here, but I enjoy watching them catch fish as much as I do catching them, myself. Kingfishers are a hoot to watch. We also have goldeneye ducks in the winter. I am sure they eat their share of fish, but they are a laugh on a grey winter day.

I am not speaking ill of those who are infested with dozens of cormorants and want to do something about it, but one or two??? I started hunting before I started to school, but I have never been proud to shoot anything I couldn't eat. Above all, we need some facts from our experts on the effects of these birds.
Lou

I
I
lou, i mean no disrespect. but whatever you shoot that you cannot eat, there are others who gladly will.

mark

I
I
svoberts, West Point grad huh!! we'll forgive ya!!! ( as we all know, if you went there, you ain't no stupid feller....just mis...directed!! hahaha!!...go Navy!!!)

Another funny story, one time, dad was a guest lecturer for my high school physics class. me and my brother (both "squids" kids) were sitting next to a Marine's son. well, dad finished his lecture on Aviation/mariner navigation. dad asked, "did everyone get that?? OOOHHH, we have a Marine's kid here, I better repeat all that again." later that year, I won the Anatomy and Physiology award....and the teacher was that Marine's kid dad...he said..."we all ought to be proud of this next young man's achievements....being a squid kid and all..."......now, the only people who may get this are military folks...but, hopefully pleasurable none the less.!!!

enjoy, mark

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Lou, I understand your view. Up to a point, but only up to a point. I don't even kill rattlesnakes or copperheads unless they are around the house or pond or other places that I/we spend a lot of time around. I consider all water snakes as harmless until I find out differently. I don't allow non discriminatory shooting or "target practice" with rabbits, turtles or sparrows as the objective. If you shoot a buck on my land, it better go to the taxidermist.

However, I mercilessly destroy pests or problems with me being the only judge on my own land. A lot of people like squirrels but, around the house(s), I try to eliminate them. They have chewed 2 holes in the side of my house for nesting and multiple holes in the sides of my trailer house in the country. Long billed birds around the pond also qualify since I insist on being the only external predator at the water hole. A couple of years ago stray dogs just about ran all of the deer off my land. Game cameras showed nothing but dogs, even at night. That's no longer a problem. Mad neighbors are. They were asked politely and then warned multiple times.

A lot of people say "It's just nature" and I agree and understand. It is the nature of rodents to gnaw and of coyotes to kill easy prey. However, I'm not into rehabilitation but believe strongly in retribution and handling problems on a personal basis. BTW, I really like coyotes and would much rather have them than I would chickens. Actually, I think I prefer all wildlife more than I like people, children excepted. Oh yeah, I like dogs but they need to be kept up.

Sorry, this got wordy and I need to get off my soap box and get ready for work.

J
JM Offline
J
Herons are tasty...

...or so I've been told. :rolleyes:

John
I
I
Dave for President, Daaavvveee for President!!!

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Mark, I'll call W - we need Dave on the Supreme Court now. He can resign in 2006 to go for the top slot. Well, maybe not. I hear that Hillary is going for it and four (probably eight) more years of the Clintons is pretty appealing.
JM, heron is great! Not quite as good as spotted owl, but close. Now, if you want incomparable table fare, try those woodpeckers with the whitish bills.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dudley, I've spent a lifetime trying to avoid courts. I've not always been successful. My concept of "self help" has occasionally landed my butt in hot water. I thought once that I was going to be on a diet of cold sandwiches with no second cup of coffee, not even decaf. You know, they have a narrow minded bunch of public servants in East Texas.

Now, if it could maybe be a Federal Judgeship, I'd be proud to serve. Just think about it; a no cut contract for life with no real accountability. Ain't it great to be an American?

I
I
oh, and Dudley for ...chairman of the EPA !!

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Ya know im in no hurry to get in trouble with the law - havent yet - other than a few speeding tickets - and i still think those cops picked the wrong car everytime . what agency do you contact for the water turkey permit ?

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
here's the url
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/news/news/040830b.phtml

and info

For information about the cormorant permit, including applications, contact TPWD Wildlife Permitting, 4200 Smith School Rd., Austin, TX 78744 or call (512) 389-4491.

B
B
I would love to get a photocopy of the Texas permit from someone who has one. It would be a great novelty to hang on the wall with my fish hatchery licenses.

Anyone have the permit?

Brian

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Dave Davidson,
I whole heartedly agree with your aproach to pest control on own property!
I would only add that a coyote has at least one other redeeming quality. He will kill & eat all the cats he can catch!
I like dogs too, but cats ... they're too self-centered, untrainable, too independent.
I guess they're too much like me! \:D
People should keep their pets up! Why is it that they think everybody else wants their pets around too? I live in the middle of a 60 ac tract & can't leave my muddy boots on the porch without a neighbors dog dragging them off!

Maybe BigPond has the answer with the Blue cats! Grow fish bigh enough to eat the water turkeys!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I hear gators will take down a heron, why not a water turkey!

Shawn

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I would need to have 1/2 dozen gators on my pond to keep up with the water turkeys...they are really bad news.

Spend all your money, work and slave to get a good forage base established and the #&** water turkeys wipe all that out in a matter of days.

B
B
I have more problems with herons than anything else. Anyone know of a supplier for gators in Wisconsin? Do they travel well by Fed Ex?

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I tried that. FedEx won't ship them - you have to use UPS and pay extra for 2nd Day Air shipping, plus there's a HAZMAT fee ($20, I think).

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
bc Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Free country free speach, Wax em!

L
Lunker
Lunker
L

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Al Kohutek,

Those are pretty cool.

For some unknown reason, I've only experienced one lone water turkey this season. Maybe the permits in Texas are working.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I need a permit for grass carp and water turkeys. where do I go to get one?

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
James,

I posted it in an earlier note on this thread:

"here's the url
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/news/news/040830b.phtml

and info

For information about the cormorant permit, including applications, contact TPWD Wildlife Permitting, 4200 Smith School Rd., Austin, TX 78744 or call (512) 389-4491.

The grass carp permit is linked to the TPW home page, as I remember.

The grass carp won't help your algae problem. The Tilapia will, but you have to give them time to work at it. Depending on how many you stock and how bad your problem is, it may take longer than you wish.

If you have a real bad case you may want to try some Cutrine Plus and then follow-up with the Tilapia for ongoing control. That is what I did.

See several other posts on the use of Cutrine Plus.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Thanks for the information. I thought that these cormerants migrated out of here during the summer?

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Yes, they do...usually. Maybe you need to make them feel unwelcome.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Hey Meadow,

This may have been asked before, but do the water turkeys roost in certian trees? I cant recall if WT's sit up in old dead trees or just float around..

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 04:36 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?