Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,088
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Sunil, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 790 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#500823 01/18/19 12:44 AM
M
OP Offline
M
is it possible to raise good sized 3-10 pound flatheads(FHC) in a pond around 10 acres already stocked with lots of crappie small bass and few channels?

was curious if got a pregnant female flathead(FHC) if she had her babies in the pond they could grow and reproduce id love to be able to catch small flatheads for food not a fan of catching them over 10 pounds i know you dont put flatheads in small ponds but a lake around 10 acres or so should be fine right?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/21/19 10:23 AM. Reason: added FHC acronym
W
W
I heard they will eat all your fish. Even 1.

M
OP Offline
M
yeah if they get massive and are in a small pond im sure but the fact lakes udner 20 acres have flatheads in them tell me they cant just eat all the fish.

wanting to try to raise small flatheads for eating as they are so hard to catch anyways seems like everytime i see someone catch a flathead its at least 12 pounds.

i wana target 2-3 pounders for eating since they r known as the best eating catfish

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Not sure about flatheads but channel cat fry rarely survive. They swim slowly and go everywhere in a school. Easy picking for everything larger. According to Lusk only about 1% of any fish survives predation up till their first birthday.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Originally Posted By: mattmonster1991
is it possible to raise good sized 3-10 pound flatheads in a pond around 10 acres already stocked with lots of crappie small bass and few channels?

was curious if got a pregnant female flathead if she had her babies in the pond they could grow and reproduce id love to be able to catch small flatheads for food not a fan of catching them over 10 pounds i know you dont put flatheads in small ponds but a lake around 10 acres or so should be fine right?

You're gonna have to have two to start. A boy and a girl. The eggs don't fertilize themselves. And where a LMB will target forage up to 1/3 its length, flathead mouth gape is the largest of any freshwater fish, allowing it to take fish over half its size. If your big bass aren't of any concern then go for it. They will eventually become targeted food. I've caught flathead on trot line that ate mudcats up to three pounds. Granted, they were monsters... but still.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
A
A
Mike, how would you compare the taste of flatheads versus other catfish?

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Just my personal opinion, of course, but in order of preference ...
1st Flathead
2nd Channel
3rd Blue
4th Bullhead

Flathead is almost sweet to taste and very flakey

I know too, when my dad and brother were alive and selling fish, if they had flathead, it was gone in a heartbeat.

As Matt stated earlier, they're hard to come by as they don't travel on schools, very solitary fish. They're nomadic, always moving and searching for the next meal. When you catch one, it's usually a beast, but then you only need one to fill a freezer. We've caught some smaller 5-10# fish, but its those behemoths that everyone remembers. My personal best is 45#, I think my brother boated an 85# from a hoop net.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
N
N
A flathead cat's head makes up most of the weight of a fish 2 to 3 lbs. you do not get much meat at that size. In my opinion 7 to 15 lbs is a better size to keep for eating. But they are eating bigger fish by then.

Last edited by nehunter; 01/18/19 09:04 AM.

61 acre water shed lake. bass, channel cat, black crappie, wiper, walleye, redear sunfish, blue catfish and bluegill. To many bullhead and common carp
http://www.pondboss.com/news/videos/why-subscribe-to-pond-boss
M
OP Offline
M
im just dying to try some flathead and i dont like bigger catfish due to the more fat they have on them. i like thin filets from catfish around 2 pounds generally just sad that its so hard to find them that small wish there was a way to find the babies soon as they hatch and keep them in a tank till they grow a little bigger then release them into waters

J
J
IME about 8 pounds is the ideal eating size flathead. When they get to 20, there is too much fat. Small ones have too much head in proportion to edible meat.

As far as being in larger bodies of water, IMO flatheads don't make much of a difference in game fish populations.

B
B
I have had flathead before and I did like it better than CC. Everything I have read says that they will eat everything in the pond. I have read were some put them in a pond to do just that so they can start over. Check around the ole interweb and you can find some places that sells them.

Nothing like seeing your bobber bobbing.
1 acre pond with LMB BG GSF BH CC and whatever else I can find
Not after trophies I just like catching and eating fish
Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: bigpullerman
I have had flathead before and I did like it better than CC. Everything I have read says that they will eat everything in the pond. I have read were some put them in a pond to do just that so they can start over. Check around the ole interweb and you can find some places that sells them.

do they usually ship online? id love to buy some around 8 inches or so so other fish wont gobble em up

W
W
Good luck finding them online.

M
OP Offline
M
ud think if people actually sell them they would go online to advertise or go to sites like pondboss to post ohh well

M
OP Offline
M
ud think if people actually sell them they would go online to advertise or go to sites like pondboss to post ohh well

B
B
http://www.castawaylakes.com/Default.asp
I came across this place but it says 2017 so I don't know. If you really want some flatheads then you might have to call some suppliers in your area or surrounding states. But again everything I have read says that they will eventually clean out your pond.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
M
OP Offline
M
what if i put them in alake over 40 acres full of all types of species already if u put maybe 100 do u think it could make it a good flathead lake to catch them as sport fish?

M
OP Offline
M

Last edited by mattmonster1991; 01/21/19 05:11 AM.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
North American Journal of Fisheries Management
Article: pp. 198–202

Gape:Body Size Relationship of Flathead Catfish
Joe E. Slaughter IVa,,1 and Brad Jacobsonb
a) Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Division, 2065 U.S. Highway 278 SE, Social Circle, Georgia 30025, USA
b) Arizona Game and Fish Department, Region IV, 9140 East 28th Street, Yuma, Arizona 85365, USA

Abstract.

The flathead catfish Pylodictis olivaris is a highly piscivorous ictalurid native to central North America whose range has been extended throughout much of the United States. With this range expansion, many populations of native fishes have experienced declines in the number of individuals due to direct predation by flathead catfish. Previous evidence suggests that flathead catfish are opportunistic feeders and may be the least gape limited of North American freshwater piscivores. To better understand the size of prey vulnerable to flathead catfish, we measured gape dimensions for individuals of various sizes to determine the maximum size prey a flathead catfish can kill based on its gape limitations. Our results show the relationship of total length to horizontal and vertical gape and the relationship of flathead catfish total length to the total lengths of ingestible-sized prey of different body shapes. Furthermore, comparisons of the body depth of three common fish species to the gape dimensions showed that no size of largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides, bluegill Lepomis macrochirus, or gizzard shad Dorosoma cepedianum would preclude predation by flathead catfish. Our results support the assumption that the flathead catfish is one of the least gape-limited piscivores.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Bob Lusk
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker

Loc: Whitesboro, Texas
(71.29.194.5)
Flathead catfish not only eat other fish, as they grow large, they kill for the sake of killing, whether they eat the fish or not. Once they define a territory, they defend it. I'd steer clear of that situation and choose a better tool.

Last edited by ewest; 01/21/19 08:26 AM.

B
B
I don't know how that would work out. All that I have read and heard of people talking about says that those flatheads are eating machines. Some of the experts would be able to better answer your question.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
M
OP Offline
M
u mean to the second question about stocking them in a big lake over 40-80 acres or so or are you refering to my original post

what i dont get is if flatheads are sucha dominate predator how come there is such a small number of them in the wild?most people catch tonssss of blues channels but flatheads are rarely caught blues get bigger and can almost eat things as big as flatheads yet theres tons more blues it makes me thin that flatheads are dying off a rare species in most places was curious if someone stocked about 30-100 around 1 pound each or so in a big lake if they would survive and be able to reproduce and make it a decent flathead fishing lake in future

Last edited by mattmonster1991; 01/21/19 10:10 AM.
N
N
Here in NE we have a lake that the state has it as a catch and release only for the flatheads. Their goal is to keep the white perch pop down.

61 acre water shed lake. bass, channel cat, black crappie, wiper, walleye, redear sunfish, blue catfish and bluegill. To many bullhead and common carp
http://www.pondboss.com/news/videos/why-subscribe-to-pond-boss
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: nehunter
Here in NE we have a lake that the state has it as a catch and release only for the flatheads. Their goal is to keep the white perch pop down.

my goal in the future is to have a few of my own ponds have 1 pond about an acre that i stock with just flatheads and gizzard shad as is aid ic an get those by the buckets full just takes 1 trip with my cast net and 4 big coolers and could easily feed them like every 3 months go and do that for forage for them to eat in hopes of producing good 5-12 pound flattys for eating and fun

J
J
I think that the wild flathead catfish population in our local White River lakes system help control the common carp population.

B
B
Originally Posted By: mattmonster1991
Originally Posted By: nehunter

my goal in the future is to have a few of my own ponds have 1 pond about an acre that i stock with just flatheads and gizzard shad as is aid ic an get those by the buckets full just takes 1 trip with my cast net and 4 big coolers and could easily feed them like every 3 months go and do that for forage for them to eat in hopes of producing good 5-12 pound flattys for eating and fun

Don't know about the 40 acre lake, might work out ok but I am no expert. Your idea of a 1 acre pond with flatheads sounds like it would be doable but like I said, I'm no expert. If flatheads were the primary predator then BG, GSF and bullheads would feed them some also. If you feed with fish food of which I don't know if flatheads will pellet train, might be the best way. Would be interesting to see in a 1 acre pond cause you could always start over after a big fish fry.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday