Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,097
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, esshup, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS), 713 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Online Content
J
bigpullerman,

You mentioned that you want a pond where the kids can catch a mess of eating sized panfish without much waiting for a bite. Hybrid sunfish are a pretty good bet for this because they are slow to become hook shy and grow to eating size (6 - 8 in) very quickly. They can be expensive to source in the quantities you may want them however. On the other hand, if you construct a forage pond, you could grow them and transfer them at 3 or 4 inches to the main pond.

While I wouldn't suggest trying to produce hybrids in your main pond from parental pairs, this link demonstrates how hybrids can be used in combination with LMB to have a remarkably productive fishery.

Last edited by jpsdad; 12/15/18 12:54 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

S
S
If he had an empty forage pond, throwing in a half dozen male/female BG along with a single female GSF would get him all the hybrids he would need.

Pick some really good looking brood stock.

I know this is not a modern day stocking preferred method. But if you look up some of the old 60's and 70's research papers back when farm ponds were more looked at as a food source rather than a recreation source and commercial stocking fish were not nearly as readily available it was common. The way they did it in the old days may not be the way to do it for sportfishing trophys, but I bet it still works to produce fish.

Here is an example of an old study using parentals for stocking. PDF download.
RESxGSF hybrid potential

Last edited by snrub; 12/16/18 02:01 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Originally Posted By: snrub
If he had an empty forage pond, throwing in a half dozen male/female BG along with a single female GSF would get him all the hybrids he would need.

Pick some really good looking brood stock.

I know this is not a modern day stocking preferred method. But if you look up some of the old 60's and 70's research papers back when farm ponds were more looked at as a food source rather than a recreation source and commercial stocking fish were not nearly as readily available it was common. The way they did it in the old days may not be the way to do it for sportfishing trophys, but I bet it still works to produce fish.

Here is an example of an old study using parentals for stocking. PDF download.
RESxGSF hybrid potential

FWIW I have one GSF in my pond with our BG and PS and it is not unusual to catch a HBG. I think the HBG fry might actually have an advantage over the pure bloods due to their aggressive nature and rapid growth.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
S
Here is another research paper using parentals.

using BG and RES males with female GSF parentals

There is good information in that paper for anyone interested in hybrid sunfish even if you do not intend to do the stocking by parentals.

The fish were raised in what they call infertile ponds. With a feeding program I think it would work even better.

Last edited by snrub; 12/16/18 04:58 PM.

John

B
OP Offline
B
Some good Ideas on forage ponds. I don't think with the way my ground is that I would be able to make one but I am doing some thinking about it. I would have a lot of trees to deal with and have to have a good source of water. I might could do something upstream of the my pond but might have to pump into it from the main pond to keep enough water in it. I had though about a sediment pond about my pond, but the tree issue is still there. I would have to cut out a lot of trees and dig out the roots. But you fellers have given me plenty to think about. Keep those ideas coming. Just out of curiosity, could a person raise BG/HBG/GSF in 100 gal water tanks?

Nothing like seeing your bobber bobbing.
1 acre pond with LMB BG GSF BH CC and whatever else I can find
Not after trophies I just like catching and eating fish
Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah, you can raise them in tanks. But, the problem could turn into nutrient over load from their waste. You would have to change the water or partially change pretty often.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
D
As my fish supplier does: various tanks for holding the fish, each tank plumbed to a central manifold (connecting all the tanks) which feeds a pump and sand filter which then feeds another manifold which feeds the individual returns to each tank. Quite a few valves for controlling flows through each tank and for isolating and draining tanks. He has an electric aerator for each tank, so there's also a lot of wiring in conduits.

Dan McWhirter
DannyMac
S
S
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Yeah, you can raise them in tanks. But, the problem could turn into nutrient over load from their waste. You would have to change the water or partially change pretty often.

I have pondered the idea of setting a 100 gallon tote next to the pond, then run a small koi pond pump to pump water to the tank. Have an overflow gravity flow back to the pond. Could even do a bottom draw but make sure it didn't siphon.

If the fish ultimately will live in that pond they would already be conditioned to the pond water. With a reasonable flow through amount, shouldn't even need aeration. The pond water should already be aerated.

Clean bottom waste with water capable shop vac.

I have not done this. Just speculation.

Last edited by snrub; 12/19/18 07:10 PM.

John

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Member Bruce Condello built a flow through raceway for growing fish that was fed by pondwater. Lusk briefly showed the system on one of his podcasts where they talked about growing big bluegill. On it they said they were going to describe it but did not do much about details for it. An article about this topic should be placed in a future Pond Boss Magazine. One important concern to be dealt with is installing a simple flushing or removal method for the fish waste. Member Cecil Baird has described his indoor fish growing tanks that would could easily be adapted for a flow through system adjacent to a pond. I will look for the thread where this system was described.

Cecil Baird1 Small Scale DIY RAS 2.0 Intro Part 1
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437132

Possible repeat of above link:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437166#Post437166

Part 2 The Tank
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437125

Part 3 Center Drain
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437208

Part 4 Siphon, Pump, & Clarifier
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=439135

Cecil's Outdoor fish Tank Note the bottom drain system NOTE HIS GOOD INFO ABOUT AMMONIA AND REMOVING IT AND SUSPENDED SOLIDS.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=25891&Number=331510#Post331510

Cecil has redesigned his filtration system. I will see if I can find info about it? Although filtration should not be needed for a flow through bottom drain tank.

Out dated filter links:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=27920&Number=356673#Post356673

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=284490

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/04/23 08:12 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: anthropic
Originally Posted By: bigpullerman
Lots of reading and reflecting on my pond. One thing that I have noticed is I don't have any plants growing in my pond. I never have as far as I can remember. I would have grass growing around the edges but that's pretty much it. I have lots of trees growing all around it and I have started removing them. Lots of willows on the levee that will be a booger to cut and remove. My water level will fluctuate a good 5 ft every summer when we get dry. Would that be the reason for no plants? Most of my runoff comes from farm land so I am pretty sure I get some fertilizer along with some chemicals but that don't seem to bother the area that it runs down to get to the pond. I was just curious so I thought I would ask here.

You might consider cutting some of the willows and sinking them in the pond to make cover for your YOY fish, especially near spawning areas. Without plants, the little guys don't have enough cover.

You might also think about buying some cheap WalMart type kiddie pools, filling them with appropriate size pea gravel, and attaching them to the bottom to help . Do it at various depths so the BG can spawn regardless of water level.

I'm just now getting water plants & adding habitat, it is a constant battle!

No offense meant to any posts above.

I may be wrong, but I have experienced cut willows taking over wet or very damp areas. I would not suggest putting fresh-cut willow into a shallow area of pond, or any regularly wet areas.

Most willows will grow roots and establish themselves if cuttings or attached branches are in contact with wet areas.

You can help your hatchery success and enjoy a colorful and good tasting garden in your pond. Many of us have had very good success with floating islands growing a variety of non-invasive plants. The plants take up nutrients. Their roots grow deeply into the water and provide good habitat for fry. Many flowers and vegetables, including edibles like lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, radishes etc., will grow very well on a floating island.

I would definitely get the willows off the levee. Any trees on the levee will weaken it. The can cause a lever failure. Willows are especially harmful because their root systems strongly seek water and can grow very large and disruptive.

Last edited by catmandoo; 12/19/18 09:15 PM.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
A
A
No offense taken, catmandoo. I was trying to help, but didn't realize willow trees would respond differently than other trees. Thanks for educating me!

Last edited by anthropic; 12/20/18 03:04 AM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

S
S
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Member Bruce Condello built a flow through raceway for growing fish that was fed by pondwater. Lusk briefly showed the system on one of his podcasts where they talked about growing big bluegill. On it they said they were going to describe it but did not do much about details for it. An article about this topic should be placed in a future Pond Boss Magazine. One important concern to be dealt with is installing a simple flushing or removal method for the fish waste. Member Cecil Baird has described his indoor fish growing tanks that would could easily be adapted for a flow through system adjacent to a pond. I will look for the thread where this system was described.

Cecil Baird1 Small Scale DIY RAS 2.0 Intro Part 1
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437132

Possible repeat of above link:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437166#Post437166

Part 2 The Tank
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437125

Part 3 Center Drain
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=437208

Part 4 Siphon, Pump, & Clarifier
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=439135

Cecil's Outdoor fish Tank Note the bottom drain system
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=25891&Number=331510#Post331510

Cecil has redesigned his filtration system. I will see if I can find info about it? Although filtration should not be needed for a flow through bottom drain tank.

Out dated filter links:
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=27920&Number=356673#Post356673

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=284490

Very interesting stuff Bill. Got my mind to working now. If only my body and energy level can follow through with what my mind comes up with! grin

Last edited by snrub; 12/20/18 08:44 AM.

John

B
OP Offline
B
Lots of good info there. I have a 100 gal water tank I got back in the summer. We have lots of small trees,flower beds and a garden to keep watered. The faucet always leaks where the hose hooks to it. I had been using a barrel but stepped up to a cow tank to catch that water. We use all of it for watering but I started keeping my leftover minners in the bucket in there for a few days over the weekends. We have mosquitoes so it has plenty of food for small fish. The water gets changed out quite often too.
I plan on totally removing all the willows. It will take some time to get it all done but that is the plan. I won't be using any for brushpiles. I have figured out a place for the dense brush area. Probably a 20' X 30' area. I plan on throwing all my cedar limbs along with some oak, hickory, gum and whatever else I trim or cut down except willows. This area is closest to my house so I chose this spot cause of the idea I have about making a bug killer to hang over this spot to feed the fish some nice tasty bugs. I could run some extension cords to see if it will work and if it does than I would run a line down there. If I do that then that leads to the aeration idea I have been kicking around.
Another idea I have been thinking about lately is spillway pipe with the boards that I can pull out to drop the level a few feet. I have got a place in mind next to my current spillway. This will cost some $$$$ to do and I will have to rent or borrow a small trackhoe to do it. So I have got to start picking up cans so I can fund this project.
Still thinking about the sediment/forage pond. This would be in the entrance to the main pond. But this project would be farther down the road.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
A
Online Content
A
BPM, I admire your patience and perseverance.

I've recently finished up de-mucking and deepening a .35ac pond.

The comment you made a couple posts after the picture of your little Ford about how you just gotta keep making laps is dead nuts.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Augie
BPM, I admire your patience and perseverance.

I've recently finished up de-mucking and deepening a .35ac pond.

The comment you made a couple posts after the picture of your little Ford about how you just gotta keep making laps is dead nuts.

Thanks Augie There is no tellen how many hours I have spent digging out in my pond. My son, son in law and grandsons took a walkabout on Christmas afternoon. I was telling them my plans and ideas I had and they commented on how much larger the pond was now. When you don't have big equipment then you have to have patience, perseverance and dedication.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
Been a while since I have updated here. Did lots of reading on the forum and on the few days it was not raining I walked around the pond thinking about what I would need & like to do.

1. Cut down all the trees, gum, oak, cottonwood and willows on the levee and all around the pond. I will leave a few oaks and all my cypress.

2. I think I can build a small forage pond next to the main pond. I would build a levee with a gated drain pipe so I could empty it into the main pond. I would use a gas powered waterpump to fill & maintain water.

3. Build a siphon pipe to draw down the pond so I can get back to digging and not rely on just a long hot summer to get the water down.

4. Get serious about doing some fishing to catch out those LMB and CC. Also target some BG and GSF to see what all I have out there.

Looks like I got my spring, summer and fall all planned out.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
S
S
Sounds like you have a "plan". Keep up the good work.

I think you will find a forage pond another very interesting addition. I spend a fair amount of (enjoyable) time managing my forage pond. Thinking about pumping mine down later in the year and taking it in a new direction.

John

B
OP Offline
B
Working on the pond this weekend. With all the big rains we have been getting this winter I had water washing over the levee where I didn't have the chance to build it up before winter. I knew it was probably going to be a problem just didn't know how bad. Didn't see any really bad erosion but I have got to get it fixed. Built a siphon drain Sat. and started it so the pond level will be going down so I can get to digging and removing trees. 1st I have got to get the water level down and dry out the levee and behind the levee. Here are a couple pictures of the 2 inch siphon I made.

Attached Images
siphon.jpg siphon drain.jpg
Last edited by bigpullerman; 03/18/19 06:58 AM.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
After a week of my 2" siphon running the pond level is down about 2.5 feet. The siphon is still running and I hope to get the level down another couple feet. One other thing I have decided to do is put in a bottom draw siphon overflow system. That doesn't look like it would be too hard to put in. I have got the get all my trees cut off my levee first but as soon as I get that done the siphon overflow will be the next project.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
Didn't make it back down to the pond till yesterday evening and found the siphon had stopped because the water level had got down to the intake. Don't know how long since it stopped. It had dropped the level 3.5 ft. This reduced the surface area by about a 1/3 of full. I have learned to use 22 degree elbows instead of 45. I am adding some more pipe to the intake side to get a little lower and will start it back up again. If weather permitting it will be chainsaw time at the pond.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
Well after several hours and a 1/2 a dozen tries I finally got my siphon going again. A few tips. I switched to 22 degree elbows. I carried all my pipe and fittings to my shop to glue them together properly. I was getting dirt in the joints and the glue was not holding cause I didn't let it sit like you are suppose to. I switched to those rubber couplings to put the 3 sections together. I have the intake section with a waterpump pickup plastic screen on it. Then the middle section going over the top of the levee with the tee in it to fill up. And the discharge section down the outside of the levee. I will get some pictures up in the next few days. I first done all this by just sticking some pipe and fittings together and it worked but I wanted to make it a little better and move it to where the levee was taller on the back side. You know what they say about beginners luck. Now I got something that I can take apart when done and put it back up again when I need to draw the pond down. This will be another tool in my pond management arsenal. Hoping for some good weather pretty soon on a weekend to use some of those other pond management tools, namely that fishing pole.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
Pictures of the new & improved siphon drain. I made it so I can easily take it down or put back up. Been up for a couple days and is working fine. This is also the place I plan on putting in a permanent bottom draw siphon style overflow that I could use to draw down also. I am thinking a 6 inch size for my pond would work. I have only had a spillway to control the water before so I think this would be a lot better.

Attached Images
pond siphon updated 1.jpg pond siphon updated 2.jpg pond siphon upgraded.jpg
Last edited by bigpullerman; 04/12/19 08:56 AM.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
Been a while since I have updated on my pond. The siphon worked great & drawed the pond down 3 1/2 ft. I added 2 ft. to the intake side which will maybe add about a ft. to drawing it down cause of the angle. Mother nature gave us a 3.6 inch rain Wed. so the pond was back full again. So now for the 3rd time I have started the siphon to draw it down. Since last Oct. it has rained just about every week so I have not been able to get started on moving dirt.
On another note, we tried fishing on 4-27 but the water was like chocolate milk. Not a bite using GSH and worms. With all the rain runoff from the freshly worked bean field the pond got muddy.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
Siphon is still going. The good Lord blessed us with another 3.1" of rain yesterday morning so it will be going for a while more. We will be doing some fishing this weekend to see what we catch. The water cleared up and had that olive green tint so I hope the fishing is better.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
BPM,

Looking forward to your fishing report next week from the weekend outing. Pictures please!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass