Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bham Offline OP
OP Offline
B
So I lucked into getting a 4 acre pond dug on my farm for free. Long story short, a company needed dirt, I wanted a pond, we made a trade.

Now on to the build.

The dig has started and should be 4 acres in surface area and 12-14 foot deep. I'm gonna have them put an island in the middle with some of the left over top soil they don't need.

My goal is to make this an incredible bass pond. I've got some ideas but would love your help to make it happen!

What would you do?

Last edited by Bham; 12/06/18 07:19 PM.
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
What part of the country are you located?

Scott Hanners
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Welcome to Pond Boss!

As you may or may not know, making a quality pond is more than just digging the hole, so hopefully you have all the exact details worked out as to soil type, damn, key, spillway, and water source, etc.

With a sweet size of 4 acres, I'm assuming you've got good clay to work with?

Like scott69 said, tell us more.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

P
P
Read the book “just add water” by Mike Otto. There is a lot to building a pond that will hold water. Make sure that it is suitable for a pond before they dig. Sometimes free ain’t so free

Welcome to pond boss

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 12/06/18 08:27 PM.
B
Bham Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Read the book “just add water” by Mike Otto. There is a lot to building a pond that will hold water. Make sure that it is suitable for a pond before they dig. Sometimes free ain’t so free

Welcome to pond boss

Thanks for the book referral. The soil type and site is gonna work out well. The company had to have the right soil type for their project so core samples were dug prior and we confirmed the clay content would be more than suitable to hold water. In fact, part of it's already dug and it's already retaining water with the recent rainfall.

I will try to post some pics later.

B
Bham Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: scott69
What part of the country are you located?

Kansas. About 45 mins Southwest of Kansas City.

A
Online Content
A
Originally Posted By: Bham
So I lucked into getting a 4 acre pond dug on my farm for free. Long story short, a company needed dirt, I wanted a pond, we made a trade.

Now on to the build.

The dig has started and should be 4 acres in surface area and 12-14 foot deep. I'm gonna have them put an island in the middle with some of the left over top soil they don't need.

My goal is to make this an incredible bass pond. I've got some ideas but would love your help to make it happen!

What would you do?

Bham, I also made an island & enjoy fishing around it. However, due to fear of poachers I did not make any peninsulas, and now regret. You might consider building a few of them for fishing, including underwater points with some type of sunken brush, trees, and/or rocks for hot spots.

Also, if you want good LMB fishing they will need to eat BG. Lots and lots of BG, as it takes ten pounds of BG to make one pound of bass. Be sure to get several good spawning areas built with pea gravel in depths ranging from 6 inches to several feet. I'd also advise you to do something I did not, which is put pretty dense cover around spawning areas so newly hatched BG don't get gobbled up before they have a chance to put on weight.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

B
Bham Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Trying to add pics.... Let's see if this works.

Attached Images
18125.png 18129.png
B
Bham Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well, not sure if anyone else can click on the image link or not and see it but I can... Not sure how to post the actual pic in the thread

Last edited by Bham; 12/06/18 09:51 PM.
P
P
Works here

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I can see the pics also.

Is the pond an excavated pond without a damn?

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Wow, way beyond fortunate IMO! Congrats!

Just my $.02 worth, but for the tens of thousands you're likely saving by having a 4 acre pond excavated for free, I would spend a few thousand (if even that, or maybe more) to hire a "pond consultant" who will ask you all the important questions (your complete pond goals?) and either oversee the project or at the very least BE SURE every step is done correctly. If there are any steps missed, this could potentially be the biggest headache and/or money-pit you've ever encountered.

I know that sounds drastic but if you spend enough time reading this forum, WHICH YOU SHOULD, you'll see for yourself.

Take nothing for granted, learn, learn, learn, ask, ask, ask and that 4 acre pond will bring you and your family more enjoyment than you could ever possibly imagine.

I would guess some experts here would confirm that each extreme is a possibility if not reality.

Best wishes to you and your project and we look forward to seeing the process and progress as time goes on!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Is the pond completed in the photos? If so, I would be very concerned about the safety of the large area of near vertical shoreline. It will surely slough off and I wouldn't want to be along that shore when it does.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Beware of free!

At least get a consultation from a pond builder if you can find one or a "dirt guy" if you can't. It costs WAY more to fix things later.

B
Bham Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Is the pond completed in the photos? If so, I would be very concerned about the safety of the large area of near vertical shoreline. It will surely slough off and I wouldn't want to be along that shore when it does.

No it's not. Once all the dirt is excavated, we will go back and grade out the shoreline with a 3/1 slope.

B
Bham Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Sunil
I can see the pics also.

Is the pond an excavated pond without a damn?

The shoreline with the trees in the background will be the damn eventually.

B
Bham Offline OP
OP Offline
B
So here is a video I took November 19th.
[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/PWOxA7Xod7M[/video]

This is not the completed shape or size.

The shoreline with the trees will eventually be the pond damn. This will be the east side of the pond. It's currently 130 yards wide, but will probably end up being about 140 yards wide once we dig out the drange ditch. You can see this along the south side of the dig as I can across just to the left of the small single tree next to the current shoreline.

The pond will extend about 190 yards from the dam to the tip and be pie shaped. In the video there are two mulch piles (tree chips from the clearing) just beyond that single tree in the background. This is close to where the "tip" of the pond will be located.

Here is another video I took Dec 6th with a little water starting to puddle in the base of the dig site.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/zDocOrI2xfE[/video]

B
Bham Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Wow, way beyond fortunate IMO! Congrats!

Just my $.02 worth, but for the tens of thousands you're likely saving by having a 4 acre pond excavated for free, I would spend a few thousand (if even that, or maybe more) to hire a "pond consultant" who will ask you all the important questions (your complete pond goals?) and either oversee the project or at the very least BE SURE every step is done correctly. If there are any steps missed, this could potentially be the biggest headache and/or money-pit you've ever encountered.

I know that sounds drastic but if you spend enough time reading this forum, WHICH YOU SHOULD, you'll see for yourself.

Take nothing for granted, learn, learn, learn, ask, ask, ask and that 4 acre pond will bring you and your family more enjoyment than you could ever possibly imagine.

I would guess some experts here would confirm that each extreme is a possibility if not reality.

Best wishes to you and your project and we look forward to seeing the process and progress as time goes on!

Definitely fortunate and despite getting the pond dug for free, I'm intending on spending good money to make sure it's done exactly the way I want to provide years of enjoyment. In fact, my intentions are to hire a professional to assist. I just figured I'd start posting and reading here to see what advice others may have.

Last edited by Bham; 12/07/18 06:24 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Congratulations!

So, start telling us your goals for the pond. Fishing, swimming, duck hunting, etc?

B
Bham Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Congratulations!

So, start telling us your goals for the pond. Fishing, swimming, duck hunting, etc?

Goal #1... Recreation!!!

That includes...

great fishing habitat (primary target bass). My thought is to put in a lot of structure at various depths around the pond. Probably mostly pallets in triagle shapes, but may build a few Georgia cubes and other structure with PVC.

Potential for waterfowl would be a huge plus. Im considering putting in a well first to get the thing filled up, but also so I can control the water level. I want to make sure severe droughts are not a factor, but also thought it would be awesome to be able to plant food plots for duck around the edge and be able to flood it using the well.

Last but not least, summer time swimming. I plan to put in a dock with a jumping platform and maybe even a zip line. My thought would be to put the dock on the damn side of the pond so there is plenty of depth. Obviously I wouldn't have any fishing structure below it.

B
Bham Offline OP
OP Offline
B
So here is the site location

Yellow = shoreline
Gray shaded area = current excavated area
Brown = dock
Green = island
Neon green = well
Gray = rock washout for well water flow

Tell me what you would change? Add? Remove?

Last edited by Bham; 12/08/18 09:19 AM.
J
J
I wouldn't do the island. It's a waste of potential water storage, and will contribute to sedimentation.

N
N
An island looks nice but wave action will level it out in a couple years if not rocked heavy or surrounded by a wall made of stone, steal or some other type of water barrier. It would be hard to keep mowed or cleaned up if you did not want it to grow up naturally. Rock would make more fish cover.

61 acre water shed lake. bass, channel cat, black crappie, wiper, walleye, redear sunfish, blue catfish and bluegill. To many bullhead and common carp
http://www.pondboss.com/news/videos/why-subscribe-to-pond-boss
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Unless the contractor had a source of dirt much closer to his job site, I certainly hope that you didn't make an EVEN trade of dirt for a pond. Four acres of ground dug to a depth of 12 feet yields 25,813 cubic yards of dirt. 30% decompaction from being loaded into a truck increases that to 33,567 cubic yards. At $1.00 per cubic yard, truck measure, that amounts to a considerable sum. Considering that the contractor couldn't get the dirt without leaving a pond, I hope you made a good trade.

B
Bham Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
Unless the contractor had a source of dirt much closer to his job site, I certainly hope that you didn't make an EVEN trade of dirt for a pond. Four acres of ground dug to a depth of 12 feet yields 25,813 cubic yards of dirt. 30% decompaction from being loaded into a truck increases that to 33,567 cubic yards. At $1.00 per cubic yard, truck measure, that amounts to a considerable sum. Considering that the contractor couldn't get the dirt without leaving a pond, I hope you made a good trade.

I'm sure my dirt wasn't the only option they had, and I'm sure I could have asked for money and hoped they said yes, but at the end of the day, all I wanted was a pond. Its something I was wanting anyway, it just so happened to line up where the company needed dirt at the same time so to me it seemed like a perfect swap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??