Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,084
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Requa, Jason D, Jared015), 756 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 183 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 182 183
This morning I went out and checked surface temps while the aerator was still running. With night-time temps starting to cool (72*F this morning) I want to keep an eye on temps so I can make an uneducated guess at when to switch to a daytime schedule. Surface temps inside the diffuser current was still 80*F at 7am, so I'm thinking I can wait a bit longer.

Afterwards I decided to give my refurbished 8' flyrod a go (equipped with a small closed faced spinning reel). Rigged with the body of a baby beetlespin (no blade attached) in black/chartreuse under a small float. Second cast resulted in what I think was a 6" Warmouth. I say "think" because it didn't have the typical GSF markings, but was much lighter in color than the usual dark brown mottled colors. Unfortunately, my phone was inside so no pic.

Now the interesting part.

Second fish is what I believe to be a HBG.
Next was a 6" GSF, followed shortly after by a 6" BG.

Links to pics below for comparison and evaluation. Your input on the first pic is greatly appreciated. If this is indeed HBG, it's a naturally occurring specimen. The bobber used as reference is 1" on the spring button top to bottom.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/W6HAAupXuU4GfcZr5[/img]

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc7XivyGrWMvmDYM9[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/9TEa4uq24tNmdqiQ6[/img]

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 09/29/18 10:48 AM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
T
T
A morning dedicated to RES fishing. I have only caught one prior to this trip on the pond and it was a 5"er. Four years ago next month I added a thousand 3" res to the pond and followed up with another 850 the following February. I have seen only a few when we shocked the pond and I have caught a couple when throwing a cast net, so for the most part I seem to have low numbers of res. Or maybe they just like to hang out in deeper water where a shock boat and cast nets don't work all that well, really not sure. Anyway, I rigged up my 3 wt fly rod with an olive colored feathered fly with a beaded head. A minnow looking or a worm looking fly about an inch and a half in size. Fishing in about 4' of water I caught an res that was 10" and really fat, and looked like she was full of eggs. And the weighing scales were not with me at the time so I did not get a weight on her. When I first saw her on the line I saw a lot of yellow color and first thought it was a large Tilapia. But as I inspected her in the boat I discovered she had the red outline on her ear tabs It was not a bright or strong red color but more of a faded red coloring around the ear tab. I then new she was an res. She did have a lot of yellow coloring on her belly and below her gills. She is the second largest RES I have ever caught. Well as it turned out she was the only one I caught, maybe because it was a late morning fishing trip when I started up around 9:30. I also wound up catching a few 10" cnbg measured but not weighed. They were some really nice cnbg. Some of the nicest ones I have ever caught in the pond. And I also hooked into a really nice lmb that came off when I bent over to pick her up.. I am guessing 17" and about 3.5 lbs. I was a great morning of fly fishing, but it would be nice to have caught some more of the elusive RES like the one I caught. I wished I would have had the camera with me.

Last edited by TGW1; 09/30/18 06:20 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
If I ever catch a 10" RES (or any other species for that matter) from my puddle you'll be able to hear me holla!!

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
S
S
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
This morning I went out and checked surface temps while the aerator was still running. With night-time temps starting to cool (72*F this morning) I want to keep an eye on temps so I can make an uneducated guess at when to switch to a daytime schedule. Surface temps inside the diffuser current was still 80*F at 7am, so I'm thinking I can wait a bit longer.

Afterwards I decided to give my refurbished 8' flyrod a go (equipped with a small closed faced spinning reel). Rigged with the body of a baby beetlespin (no blade attached) in black/chartreuse under a small float. Second cast resulted in what I think was a 6" Warmouth. I say "think" because it didn't have the typical GSF markings, but was much lighter in color than the usual dark brown mottled colors. Unfortunately, my phone was inside so no pic.

Now the interesting part.

Second fish is what I believe to be a HBG.
Next was a 6" GSF, followed shortly after by a 6" BG.

Links to pics below for comparison and evaluation. Your input on the first pic is greatly appreciated. If this is indeed HBG, it's a naturally occurring specimen. The bobber used as reference is 1" on the spring button top to bottom.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/W6HAAupXuU4GfcZr5[/img]

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc7XivyGrWMvmDYM9[/img]
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/9TEa4uq24tNmdqiQ6[/img]

First fish is interesting. I will not attempt at an ID but will say the mouth looks too big to be a pure BG.

Next two pictures I agree with your ID.

Last edited by snrub; 09/30/18 11:09 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
I posted that 1st pic in a separate thread. The possibility of a BGxWM has been suggested. Quite possible with my small population of WM and their need to reproduce....with something!!

L
L
Getting frustrated at how there is just enough rain to keep things wet, but not enough for runoff to bring up the pond. Getting the float raft out of a half-flushed toilet bowl with a 4-wheeler is a ton of work. Anything stronger would pull the float raft apart.

Since getting my new rain gage this past Saturday, we've received a total of 1/2" of rain. Not that we need any more for a while.

Today was an absolutely beautiful day after the first serious cold front of the season. Overnight temps are going to drop into the mid 60s (f) tonight.

Surface temps today were 90* at 3p, after a full day of cloudless sunshine (so nice to see the sun again). With air temps dropping overnight and a trend of even cooler nights out thru next week, I decided it's time to switch my aeration schedule to a daytime shift. Starting tomorrow it'll be running from 8am-2pm.

Lunker
Lunker
Turned the aerator off today as we have our first freeze warning tonight. Surface temps are sitting at 55 degrees which was warmer than today's high. A week ago surface temps were 72.

After last night's cool snap and today's aeration run, surface temps dropped from 90(f) to 84(f) at the same time of day. Made another adjustment to the run time. Tomorrow will start a 10a-4p cycle. Daily highs are predicted to be in the low 80s for the next few days, so this change should help maintain a more subtle drop in water temps for now.

Fish fed pretty good today for a change.

J
J
Snrub came to visit and we fished in my two ponds. Found I have more RES than I thought. He caught three that appeared to be this year's spawn. Also, two pound plus CC really put up a fight on limber 12 foot crappie rods.

S
S
Had a good time John. Thanks for the hospitality!

John

F
F
Yesterday I moved the aeration from the deeper ends of the pond to the shallows nearest the deck, this will keep the ice from forming around the deck this winter. Water temperature is now at 55 degrees and our air temps are getting into the low 40's maybe in the 30's tonight, highs only in the low 50's, so we are on our way to late fall type weather soon to be in winter. It has been a good summer and I look forward to a little ice fishing once we get enough ice.

A big thank you to all of you on this forum, for all the great info you have shared this season ! I really love this group, the site and the magazine, and yes the videos are great too!!

half-acre pond, LMB, HBG, BG, GSH and CC ....goal is to
have fun fishing. And I subscribe!
Originally Posted By: John Fitzgerald
Snrub came to visit and we fished in my two ponds. Found I have more RES than I thought. He caught three that appeared to be this year's spawn. Also, two pound plus CC really put up a fight on limber 12 foot crappie rods.

What!? No pictures? No pictures, or it just didn’t happen. Ha! Just kidding. I’m still ticked off I didn’t get down to the get together at Snrub’s. Sounds like you had a good day.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
J
J
Originally Posted By: SetterGuy

What!? No pictures? No pictures, or it just didn’t happen. Ha! Just kidding. I’m still ticked off I didn’t get down to the get together at Snrub’s. Sounds like you had a good day.

Sorry, no pictures. The action was fast and fish slime isn't very compatible with taking pictures. LOL

S
S
I thought about taking a picture of the RES right after I threw the third one back. smirk Then I didn't catch any more. frown

Weather was perfect. Wives talked knitting, spinning and quilting. Great day.

Last edited by snrub; 10/12/18 01:19 PM.

John

Sounds like a great day around a pond!

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
An interesting observation....today was the first time I've fed while the aeration was running. Activity was nonexistent until I turned it off. After a few minutes, activity increased, but nowhere near what it should have been. High for today was 78ish and surface temp was 82(f) after 5 hours of daytime running. Visibility has reduced to around 16" due to an algae bloom. I didn't see a single BH either.

J
J
I started draining my forage pond into the old pond by siphon. I think I will start the forage pond anew next spring. It has BG and LMB in it from past flooding.

Lunker
Lunker
I fed a small amount of pellets this evening and checked the surface temp after the 4" of snow we had yesterday. Surprisingly the surface temp was 52 degrees and the fish fed well. I did catch two nice RES on soft plastic baits while the fish fed, one 9-1/2" female and one 9-3/4" male.

C
OP Offline
C
temps dropping fast, near freezing tonight. Sunday was warm in the afternoon. It was strange, I tossed pellets into the sunny areas and not even a nibble. The sun is low in the west sky and you would think the fish would stay in the warm sunny spots. But as soon as the pellets drifted in the shaded areas it was game on. However, my water has cleared for some reason so maybe they are just aware that they are targets in the sunny clear water.

Raked another thousand or so YOY snails again.

J
J
I finished draining the forage pond down to a small puddle, netted out and transferred the 5 Koi I put in back in May, all the BG and LMB I wanted to keep, and then scattered 10 pounds of hydrated lime into the puddle. Those Koi were only about 4-5" when stocked on May 10. I was amazed at the growth. 11-13" and some over a pound.

I originally stocked FHM in the forage pond, but LMB and BG got in during a flood. I didn't find a single FHM. I decided this past spring to grow out those 5 Koi to big enough size the LMB couldn't eat them, then restart the forage pond. FHM to be stocked next spring.

Here's a picture after I finished.

Edit: It was hydrated lime, not quicklime.

Attached Images
20181016_141939.jpg
Last edited by John Fitzgerald; 10/16/18 07:47 PM.
T
T
Same here with the temp drop, it dropped around 20-25 degrees along with about a 4" rain so I shut the diffusers off around lunch today. Water temp was at or around 72 degrees @ 4' day before yesterday and so I saw no reason to mix up the cold rain water even though it rained all night and morning with the diffusers running at 4am till lunch before I shut things down. So really not sure if I reduced my chances of any quick temp drop in the pond.

Last edited by TGW1; 10/16/18 04:49 PM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Air temp lows around 30 and highs in the 50s so I shut down the aeration and rigged for winter running with only the shallow water diffuser. I will only run the aeration this winter if we have thick opaque ice or heavy snow cover. I have it setup so I can just flip a switch in the house to engage the compressor.

Last edited by Bill D.; 10/16/18 05:07 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
We've had about the same change in temps down here in SW LA. Down 20 degrees from yesterday with a high of 63 today. Surface temps yesterday were 80*. I called the wife from work and had her unplug the pump so it wouldn't run its cycle today. Even with the cold rain and temps, without the aeration, surface temps today only dropped to 74.

My visibility has been slowly getting less and less over the past week or so, which I believe has been due to a late season bloom. Without the aeration today, I'm seeing a green scum starting to surface and I noticed that "smell" that usually accompanies algae on my hands when I retrieved the thermometer. Hoping its not BGA, but my luck aint that good.

One more thing...I discovered painted turtles will eat lanceleaf arrowhead. I've got one plant which is now in about 2 foot of water with full pool. I kept seeing the stalks moving around oddly so I just stood by it, watching to see if I could see what was causing it. Sure enough, up comes a painted turtle. About half the plant is now gone. Broken stalks floating where they'd been chewed off.

S
S
I finished draining the forage pond down to a small puddle, netted out and transferred the 5 Koi I put in back in May, all the BG and LMB I wanted to keep, and then scattered 10 pounds of quicklime into the puddle. Those Koi were only about 4-5" when stocked on May 10. I was amazed at the growth. 11-13" and some over a pound.

I originally stocked FHM in the forage pond, but LMB and BG got in during a flood. I didn't find a single FHM. I decided this past spring to grow out those 5 Koi to big enough size the LMB couldn't eat them, then restart the forage pond. FHM to be stocked next spring.

Here's a picture after I finished.

Guess you willl get to see if the water clears up without the fish in there. When I was at John's place his two other ponds were reasonably clear. But this very small forage pond he drained was the nastiest water in a pond I think I ever saw. It was worse than chocolate milk.

Amazing the Koi did that well in that water. John had ask me if I thought the Koi were causing the turbidity but I had no experience with Koi so could not offer any help.

Last edited by snrub; 10/16/18 07:01 PM.

John

Page 30 of 183 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday