Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,097
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Bing, Fishingadventure, Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, esshup, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod), 693 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 183 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 182 183
S
S
Mowed and spruced up around the pond getting ready for my wifes family reunion at our place tomorrow. Got the cane poles ready and tomorrow after lunch I will be helping around a dozen kids with catching BG. I'll be busy.

Did the same thing two years ago and for most of the kids it was the first time they had ever went fishing. BG were biting and it was one right after another.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
I fished and thinned down some of my pellet thieving golden shiners, I have removed 51 GSH in the 6-9" size range this week. Still lots more to go.

D
D
We had a thought that our pond was leaking down but with so much water around and a pump it has never been a problem....until.

The wheat came off the farm and the chaff blew into the pond. I know from the past that if I do not dose dye heavy right away the alga will get out of hand.

Double the dye and it is super blue I mean the crayfish are blue for a few days after molting. I happen to stop on the road and look into the creek that passes our farm and what the he!! the creek its blue.....doe.

I grab a white bucket and fill it with the water that is coming out of a 10" drain that passes our frontage and drains into the creek. Yep the bucket water was blue.

Call up my golfing buddy that is a plumber and ask about a camera. Found these guys to come and scope the 10" drain. $400 later we found an old clay 4" that looks to have run right through our pond. Marked it with GPS. The only water coming down the 10" at the time of the scope was from this 4" tile.

Today we dug up this 4" and it was running over half full from our pond into the creek. We dug up 20 feet of tile with a mini EX, and hand dug up the end heading to the pond to get out a full tile then rubber test plugged off the tile. Plugged it off where it entered the 10" so we don't get any back ups.

Long story long I will have an extra burshless 5500 gallon per hour pump to put on the water fall next spring.

Cheers Don.

Last edited by DonoBBD; 09/02/18 07:50 AM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
S
S
That is great news you found a leak and plugged it DonnoBBD. With all the things we do purposely for management, sometimes it still boils down to being lucky to get something fixed. Lucky you put so much dye in caused you to find a leak.

John

C
C
I trapped approx 50 3" BG from the neighbors pond. I carried them back to my pond, clipped tails and fed them to my bass.
I absolutely love that cloverleaf trap.
It wasn't cheap but dang it works great!

Sipping a cold beer and tossing bluegill to hungry LMB may very well be my second favorite thing to do.

Originally Posted By: Clay N' Pray
I trapped approx 50 3" BG from the neighbors pond. I carried them back to my pond, clipped tails and fed them to my bass.

Sipping a cold beer and tossing bluegill to hungry LMB may very well be my second favorite thing to do.

I sure hope your neighbor "volunteered" his BG as fish food!!! LOL

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
J
J
I mowed most of the heavy grass around the old pond, down to about 30 inches below full pool. Right now, it's about 33.5 inches low, and not visibly leaking at that level. The new pond is about 10.5 inches low.

C
C
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
Originally Posted By: Clay N' Pray

I sure hope your neighbor "volunteered" his BG as fish food!!! LOL

His pond has been poorly managed for many years. Bluegill are thick as thieves.
Huge bass, but not many of them.
Typical non managed southern farm pond. He had catfish and 2 grass carp but they died of old age (15 years +/- for the record)
He is fine with me taking all the bluegill i can carry.

Truth be told, I was so jealous of his pond, I bought my own. I have a lot of nice toys but my pond is by far my favorite.

T
T
I did not do a darn thing yesterday, had a birthday party to attend. I did kill off a red wasp nest from under my floating pier the day before yesterday. They will build a nest under the boards just above the water and between the floats. But only after two of use were stung. Dam red wasp are mean! Plans are for today to remove (cut and spray) some more willows from the shoreline. Looks like Labor day (today) is a labor day

Last edited by TGW1; 09/03/18 06:32 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
It's been cloudy and raining here on and off all weekend. Started again sometime last night and hasn't stopped. Not hard, but constant. Haven't seen much rise in elevation, still about 6 inches low. The areator shut off just before 8 (runs 6 hours)this morning, so I gave it a little while and grabbed my pool thermometer and checked the surface temp. Still measuring 84 degrees on top. Didn't check it lower (still raining), but if I'm maintaining that 3 degree variance top to bottom, should be around 80 at depth. That's a drop of 8 degrees in four days. Nice and slow drop!!

Think I'm ok temp wise. Wasn't too sure how cool this rain was and with temps dropping, the DO level should be getting higher.

Calling for rain all week, and now we have TS Gordon to keep an eye on, almost one year to the day after Harvey.

Not gonna let it get me down tho, I got ribs to bbq in a bit!! Glad my deck is covered!!

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 09/03/18 09:53 AM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
S
S
Removed fish from kids hooks and removed deep hooks. I'll have to say that the kids did darn good though handling the fish compared to last year(edit: it was two years ago - senior moment). I had it easy this year compared to last.

They seemed to have a great time and stayed with it a lot longer than I would have imagined.

Recuperating today. Maybe catch a few small smallies to transfer to other ponds later today.

Last edited by snrub; 09/03/18 02:08 PM.

John

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Snrub, don't say this often but you're alright, Feel free to insult me anytime,

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Even the rain doesn't stop some anglers. Watched him for 30 minutes working around the pond. He caught several tiny minnows and I'm sure a few YOY.

Every day is a day on the pond around here.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/4ehAN7XWLzBYxEGq6[/img]

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 09/03/18 01:01 PM.

F
F
I thought it very strange that yesterday morning about 9am ahead of a little shower a flock of about 25 martins were flying everywhere around the pond. I don't have martin houses and no neighbors within a 1/2 mile of the pond that might. Around noon I was back down at the pond and not a bird in sight. I must say about a week ago I did see about 100 large dragon flies flying around the pond and don't see any now.I know martins eat dragonflies and I don't like that because dragonflies eat mosquitos but while all the martins were flying I saw no dragonflies anywhere. Just an observation.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
F
F
Yesterday at the pond around 6pm it has been overcast for 2 days and water temps are down. Had the wife go ahead and cast a little beetlespin type bait with a soft plastic "icycle" as a trailer and she caught her FIRST lmb from the pond. For fun she was fishing with a Pink Barbie Zebco 202 extremely light action set up. I had respooled it with 12 pound line thank goodness. She caught a 17 inch Florida lmb that weighed near 3 pounds on that tiny set up. She had fun and I had a blast watching her fight that thing in!!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
P
P
James tell her congrats! Good job on her part..... beware you don’t create a monster.... lol fun when the plan comes together ain’t it?

T
T
I built a 4' X 10' dock using a hardware kit as a starting point and the entire thing happened over the course of 2 days. The first day was getting the frame built and mounted on the poles. The 2nd day was the decking and bracing. All in 90 degree weather so it was slow going.

I do need a more permanent solution for the step but that will wait until the water level comes back up. The dock is high enough that it should be above the normal level except for when it floods during the Spring rains.

The container holds the aeration pump and connections to the fountain, etc. and will likely build a shelf on the pole for it to reside a bit higher and more out of the way.

A permanent power run needs to be installed but the extension cord has worked for a number of years and is GFCI protected so I'm in no rush at this time.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Looks good! Heat has been brutal, but it looks to be heading for cooler temp.

C
OP Offline
C
I'm told that if you put your compressor in a tote that you will kill it shortly (or shorten its life significantly) due to build up of heat and possibly moisture.

I have a commercial kit with a aluminum housing to keep water away but I was told if you even change the color of the housing it will void any warranty. I've had 2 high water events and nearly got water in the system as it sets on the ground on the bank.

I was tempted to put it in a tote or something that would protect it better, but worried about any type of enclosure that would add heat or limit air flow. Your experience having it in a tote?

T
T
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
I'm told that if you put your compressor in a tote that you will kill it shortly (or shorten its life significantly) due to build up of heat and possibly moisture.

I actually have a fan installed and ran thermal tests with the compressor running. The cooling fan, which runs all the time, blows directly on the compressor and exits out the other side via a pair of vents. Testing shows about a 15 degree increase over the ambient temperature so I believe I should be good. However I do need to run another test with it out in the sun to confirm.

I'm also only running it for 4 hours in the early morning hours (3am-7am) as the daytime pond temps at the surface get into the high 80's to low 90's. While I'm pretty sure things are OK I'll double check the static temps to make sure.

F
F
I built my own large plastic box even with screens for heat to exit and a fan blowing on it and it still ran 150 Degrees!!!! manufacturer said pump should not exceed around 120 max. I ended up building a 4 foot square cube wood frame box with window screen all the way around on removable panels for access to everything. I insulated the roof and put white metal on top. It runs 24 hours a day in this east Texas hot climate. On a 100 degree day the pump still only ran 102degree. Overcast today and pump is 87 degrees. From experience in your case I would at least..paint the box gloss white and make sure it has a white top!!! Will make a huge difference. I notice you are running a smaller pump than me and only 4 hrs a day so my setup may be a huge overkill for you but....think air flow,air flow, air flow is key....And keep it dry. Good luck

As is my norm, I fed the fish when I got home. Nothing unusual. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary at the time, and did a quick check of the surface temp (88*). After I ate dinner, maybe an hour later, I looked out at the pond and noticed a very dark, almost tannic colored area of water right in the middle of the pond, over the deepest area. Upon closer inspection, the darkness was an area of what looked like water turning over(that brown scum that comes up when a BOW flips. It also had a field of bubbles all through it. All in a matter of an hour. And it covered over half of the pond.

I started mildly freaking out!! "The water's too warm to turn over!" Im thinking. What the crap!!

After I think some more (a sometimes dangerous prospect) I deduce it may be a dieing algae plum (considering we've had several days of heavy cloud cover) and that means DO is most likely being rapidly consumed.....so on came the aerator!

Sure am glad I've got one now. I hate to think what the outcome may have been had the pond been off site and I weren't around to catch it. That's both a blessing and a plague sometimes, tho.

BTW....the fish were ravenous today!!!

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 09/04/18 05:16 PM.

D
D
No expert here but I read here that the carnivorous animal plankton are brown and that they succeed the green planktonic algae by eating them. I too have seen brown streaks late in the day.

Dan McWhirter
DannyMac
D
D
I haven't had red wasps move in under my pier yet. They have explored. I fear that as the deck boards shrink, the wasps could ambush. They do hurt, for days.

Dan McWhirter
DannyMac
F
F
I have heard if you have dirt daubers or mud daubers they will keep wasps away. I let all the mud daubers hang around on anything not too important to keep clean. In 4 years now I have never had a wasp nest on my dock. Did have one in a small fiberglass bass boat I keep near by.

Page 25 of 183 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images