Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
10 members (Augie, IND1371, dg84s, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Sunil, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 766 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
These plants have me a little stumped. I'm going to try to post them all in one entry....

I just noticed this one a couple of weeks ago. It has doubled in area in just a couple of weeks. Want to say it's APW, but the leaves are only about an inch long.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/tWCUmus8sU7q7ShZA[/img]

This one started growing on the bank, but has now extended out 2-3 over the water. Growing in 3 different spots.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/CxHropC3iyPMFuDB7[/img]

Number 3 has me thinking maybe something in the arrowhead family. When it's flowering, they're very small with white petals and yellow center. This one plant has been in the pond over a year and has just now started to spread a little. Growing in about 16 inches of water.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/g9wEJLJpBH4r3yEi8[/img]

Last but not least...
This one I think piggy backed in with some Iris we planted just adjacent to it. Looks like cattail. It has spread from a single sprout to this in just a few months. So far, no hotdogs tho.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/PK8Q2yhPfC4PaENf8[/img]

Any help would be very much appreciated. Especially if any of them need to be irrdicated (I'm pretty suspicious of a couple).

Just one more (couldn't help myself). This is my little piece of heaven, as seen from the front porch.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/jeiSAmsDVMFuhjoj7[/img]

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 08/30/18 03:52 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
Mike, #1 looks like Potamogeton Diversifolius, or also called variable pondweed. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's the best natural over I've ever had for fish fry, but it just keeps spreading, and spreading, and spreading.

https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/variable-leaf-pondweed/

AL

OP Offline
[quote=FireIsHot]Mike, #1 looks like Potamogeton Diversifolius, or also called variable pondweed. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's the best natural over I've ever had for fish fry, but it just keeps spreading, and spreading, and spreading.

https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/variable-leaf-pondweed/

How deep does it tend to grow and spread out? My little mutt hole has pretty steep sides and is near 4 foot deep 5 feet from the bank.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
Here at least, it stays in the 2-3' water. I have one spot that is a shallow flat that LMB use as their primary spawning area. It's about 4' deep. When we started getting our summer water level drop, it spread out over most of that 1 acre area.

AL

OP Offline
According to TAMU, it doesn't exist in Louisiana or Texas, or at least hasn't been reported to, anyway. It does look similar to this stuff tho.

As far as I know, Pat Williamson was the first person to ask about this plant, and he's in central TX. Most of those static charts are only accurate at the time of printing.

I believe this is Pat's second thread about it.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post478005

Here's a pic of mine with APW for size comparison.

Attached Images
IMG_3750 copy_800.jpg
Last edited by FireIsHot; 08/31/18 03:18 PM.

AL

P
P
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Mike, #1 looks like Potamogeton Diversifolius, or also called variable pondweed. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's the best natural over I've ever had for fish fry, but it just keeps spreading, and spreading, and spreading.

You are correct Al that’s what the picture is. Mine only grows out to about3’ deep and is good cover for the yoy.... bad thing is that it don’t like hot summers and dies to nothing about now every year. I wish it was American Pond Weed so it would hang around longer

OP Offline
It certainly looks like the same stuff. Guess I'll leave it be and see what it does. Mine didn't show up until some of our hottest days this year, first part of August. If it stays to 3 feet of depth I'll let it grow.

Don't guess y'all have any insight on the other 3 culprits in my original post?

I'm particularly interested in that 3rd plant (arrowhead maybe). Noticed today it had seed balls where flowers used to be and tiny bright green seeds floating around it. This is the first time it's flowered.

I've bout decided that the cattail looking stuff is gonna have to go. What started as a single sprout has grown to 7 now thru the summer. Seems a bit too aggressive to let it stay. I'll be pulling it up this weekend.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 08/31/18 03:48 PM.

P
P
Mike does the cattail looking stuff have a saw edge? If so we have it in a nearby pond and it’s very invasive.... no goot

P
P
The third plant is either mud plaintain or an arrowhead species..

OP Offline
I just pulled up all of that cattail plant. It didn't have any kind of saw edge to it. Actually quite smooth. No bigger than it was, it was a bugger to pull out. Doubt I got all the ryzone up. It was under the mud pretty deep, so it'll probably come back. I'll just have to keep pulling it up as it returns. Also pulled up some of the water willow. It came up rather easily and I'll probably keep thining it out some. Its getting pretty thick on the bank by the main spawning area.

I've been doing some digging on the internet on plant number three. The closest I can come to it is Lanceleaf Arrowhead, AKA Bulltongue Arrowhead. It's native to pretty much all of the coastal SE US from Delaware to Texas and isn't considered invasive. I'll do some more digging on Mud Plantains to see what I find.

Edit: looks like it could be a mud plantain as well. Either way, I guess I'll let it stay for now.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 08/31/18 07:46 PM.

P
P
I had some start up and I was happy but the pigs got all of it..... back to no plants at all.... had a few Lilly pads but the beavers got them

OP Offline
Im completely fenced in, so I dont think I'll have to worry much about pigs, and we dont have many beaver, so hopefully it'll spread around and be healthy.

Since starting aeration, the algae has all but disappeared, except for some FA, but its right on the edges, so hopefully I wont need to use anything that might kill it.

OP Offline
Looks like the variable pondered is trying to take hold. Found 4 more new growths on the opposite side of the pond yesterday.

The lanceleaf arrowhead is flowering again too, so I'm hoping to see some expansion on those too. Hopefully they'll both get a good start before it gets too cool.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday