Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#49154 08/08/04 11:18 AM
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I was just watching the OLN network , Fishing w/ Roland Martin. He was fishing w/ George W. on Bush's lake at his Crawford TX ranch.

Seems like GWB is up on his pond management stratagies.

This should come in handy when we all get together and form a political lobbying group for pond owners.

It's never too early to think about what the Pond Owners' Group political agendas will be, ie/:

1) Modification of trespassing & poaching laws so that poachers can be shot or maimed. (Just kidding, .........well not really)

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

G
G
Bob Waldrop, owner/operator of Tyler Fish Farms and one of the sponsors of this site, did the original stocking of President Bush’s ponds.
I have seen the photographs of Bob with President and Mrs. Bush when first stocking their pond.

R
R
I wonder if John Kerry likes to fish.

roadtrip
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'm sure John Kerry likes to fish- but only catch and release and only in stocked lakes never for native fish. And he would never fish in a pond where there are hybrid or male only fish. He has eaten fish but only farm raised, domestic fish if they were humanely treated or fish raised in France or Germany. He ate fish in Vietnam- he is a war hero, in case you hadn't heard- but he got a bone caught in his throat. He recieved a purple heart for that. They fished in 'Nam off their swift boats. He had to kill a fish once, it was flopping around the boat, he hit it twice with a rifle butt. He got a bronze star for that. He had a hook inbedded in................

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Brad B.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
....and after he left his buddies and the fishing trip because of those horrible injuries, he came home and bad-mouthed all of us that
were still there. This made the fishing a whole
lot harder and more dangerous.

Just do it...
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
As a Vietnam vet (Marine Corps infantry) with two purple hearts, I think that NO political comments are appropriate on this forum. This forum is about small lake management and all comments should be restricted to that. Please, give us a break!

Norm Kopecky
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Sorry Norm! You are right this site is an escape from all that other crap! I will stick to ponds. I do think Road trip knew what he was starting- probably still laughing about it!

Brad B.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I think Norm is absolutely right. Since there are probably opposing poltical views on here, posting poltics can only be devisive. I too say we stick to the pond raising and leave politics out.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
R
I'm undecided who to vote for and have no preference for repubs. or dems. I wasn't aware our President was a bass fisherman-I think it is neat. I just wonder if Sen. Kerry also likes to fish. I appreciate his service to our country, along with Norm's, and apologise profusely for any offense. No more politic talk for me. I should have known better, political talk always starts something. \:\(

roadtrip
L
L
Norm,
Semper Fi
(Artillery than MSG - Embassy duty)
Been out for 14 years

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I only started the thread because I found it very interesting that Bush was into Pond Management. Obviously, I don't know the extent of his knowledge on pond management; certainly, he has people contracted to handle pond management and other needs on his ranch.

As much as we are all into managing our ponds, I found it important that the current President is into ponds.

Did anyone else even see the show?

I did not catch the whole thing.

I think the importance of this is that we, as pond owners, have a "sympathetic" ear at the highest level.

So if you wanted to contact your local republican Senator or Congressperson about something like changing the laws about predatory birds like Herons & Cormorants, it would be beneficial to be able to say that Pres. Bush is also a pond person and would share similar interests and needs for such legislation changes. If there was a group of pond owners that wanted some given law changed or modified, you could form a group like "North American Pond Owners Association." Obviously, GWB does not open his own mail, but those reading his mail certainly know what subjects interest GWB. Having letterhead like that would help.

Now as far as culling, GWB seemed to take the litte LMBs (approx. 5" long) and let his Westie type terrier dog play with it on the deck of the boat.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

I
I
Norm, Little Dog, thanks to you both for serving our country in the military (and the other vets reading this).

B
B
Seeing how there is a possibility that Ketchum Idaho might become the "Western White House" I find it hard to believe that Kerry does not like to fish. Having spent many summers fly fishing the Middle Fork of the Salmon River just up and over Galena Summit where it snowed on us on the 4th of July back in 68! I can even remember when Salmon could actually make it all the way there.

Am glad that George Bush is a fisherman but being a Texan I think that goes with the territory! Course guess thats why my parents live on Lake Livingston and my brother has property there.

US Navy retired here for 9 years. Retired off the Gator Freighter USS Anchorage LSD-36. Hit the beach many times with the Marines in Mike boats back before the new LCAC air cushioned vessels came out now there is a boat. Have pictures of all the ships I have been stationed on on my homepage. Might bring back memories for Norm.

SMC(SW) Bob Koerber

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
As a miltary veteran myself I still believe politics should stay off of this site. I've seen what it can do to an otherwise civil site. Trust me it is very divisive.

Touting a presidential candidate and taking pot shots at his opponent is a far cry from local poltics and pond permits.

Besides, if a president or candidate has a pond and the financial where-with-all, how do we know how much is just said for political gain and how much is not?

I know of one president in our past that touted himself as a devout fisherman, but when I saw his picture in a fishing publication it was obvious he was not. He was using a spinning reel with it on top of the rod. Just another photo op.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by W. Robinson:
You mention pond raising. Well that's just great, if you have one. But if you can't get one, and have 5 layers of gov't to get through, what good is it to talk pond raising? Again, I don't care if he's a dem or repub, but he has a 10 acre lake he just built, so he atleast would understand something about those who have trouble with government layers. When will we ever have another president who will listen.

You think Bush would have the same problems you do with putting in a pond? ;\)

And photo op? I have seen him on multiple shows and magazines, holding the reel the right way and casting well with them. Some freshwater, some saltwater. Of course they were bait casters. Heck, I hardly know how to handle a spinning rod. Those are mostly for perch
jerkers.

Go back to my previous post. I wasn't referring to the present president.

I'm with the property rights crowd. One should be able to build what they want, so long as it does not have a negative effect on your neighbor.
I agree. \:\)

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I'm with Cecil & W Robinson.

I also believe politics can & should have a place here IF we don't put down one side or the other. Just use which ever side will help our cause!

Heck, I'd even support Slick Willy (cough cough choke choke) if it would help remove some of the needless restrictions! \:D :rolleyes:

Seriously, if there's anything we can come togeather on to influence lawmakers to produce a positive outcome for pond owners or pond builders, I'm FOR IT reguardless of party afiliation!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
What if PondBoss did an article on the problems pond builders encounter when dealing with the ACOE and then send a complimentary issue to George.

Russ

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Why not leave the President alone, (seems like his wagon is pretty well loaded) and let him ask when he needs help with his pond? Your congressman is the person to contact concerning problems involving the Corps of Engineers.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dudley, I agree. However, I bet if Lusk started sending a complimentary copy to his Crawford getaway, it would get read.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think the chances of a magazine getting thru to the President are right up there with winning a multi-state lottery. As Dudley pointed out he has a overflow agenda.
However I like Dave's idea. Someone on the staff at the Crawford location is in charge of the
pond(s) and their upkeep/stocking issues. A magazine sent there would have a much better chance of reaching the proper person who would have a much better chance of pointing out some of the frustrations pond owners face to his "Boss".
I'm sure there were no delays or obstacles for any construction at Crawford but pond owners and
operators all have common points of intrest.
For all we know Mr. Lusk might already be involved or consulted like he was with Tony Stewart but can't reveal it because of security issues.
Hmmm, any comments Bob??

Dan

Mistakes are proof that you are trying.

Dan
G
G
Bob Waldrop, fisheries biologist and owner/operator of Tyler Fish Farm, did the original planning and stocking of President Bush’s ranch pond.
He has a picture on his office wall, standing beside President and Mrs. Bush at the pond.

Bob is an advertising sponsor of this board and very likely a subscriber to Pond Boss.
I don’t know, but I would guess he’s still involved with the program

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Is there a chance that GWB himself is already a member on this forum?

What could his alias be?............

Could it be "animals"?

I hope not.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
President Bush is a long time subscriber to Pond Boss. He subscribed long before elected governor of Texas. At that time he was an active member of a fishing club in east Texas. Fishing is one of his favorite hobbies. More than once we saw him on the lake in east Texas, bass fishing, while we were working on the lake. He is conservation oriented, and understands pond and lake management.
He supports us.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
P
P
I agree. No politics, please. Mine oppose.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
All politics aside, it is REALLY COOL that the president of our country has been a long-time subscriber to Pond Boss magazine. I'm impressed!

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?