Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (anthropic, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, jpsdad, Brett B, catscratch, jbird5986, Freg), 644 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
my first pond was stocked by a supplier that supposedly had a mix of bg, cnbg, and res. i fed the bluegill and they did super good. i had lots of trouble with otters and had to restock bg (different suppliers) a few times. to me the colors of these fish varied a good bit, but were very dark mainly.

my new pond was stocked with 100% cnbg. i know that the color changes from time to time depending on water, spawn, and stress, but to me these aren't as dark as the ones in the old pond. these in the new pond have a dirty look about them at times.

would introducing native bg into this existing cnbg pond have any negative effects? i know it has been debated several times here about which grow larger. seems like the concensus is that the cnbg grow faster, but the end result is about the same. i guess at this point i am going after color since it seems like achieving size is easy enough with either variety.

Scott Hanners
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
My best guess is in the farther areas of the south such as AL you will get larger individuals if you use the CNBG because this "species" is most well adapted for warm climates and longer growing seasons. Pure strain BG are IMO more inclined to begin to slow their growth when the water gets above 80F, likely less true with CNBG who evolved and survive well in really warm summer temps above 80F to 90'sF.

If the water in your newer pond with the CNBG is more turbid and less clear than the other pond then this is the reason those fish are not as dark as the other sunfishes you have in another pond. Water clarity has a big influence on color intensity of fishes.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/29/18 12:17 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
i looked back thru a few of the photos i had from bg earlier this year. it appears that their fins may be what has more of a yellow tint than what i was used to in the past. several of them did have dark body color especially the heads. stress will surely put the color to them and like you said turbid water will take it out.

Scott Hanners
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I also have a mix with gsf added. I find very little difference in growth with the exception of the gsf rarely getting as large

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
S
My main pond was stocked with northern BG but the last couple years I have introduced CNBG that I stocked, reproduced and raised in my sediment pond. I still have a very low percentage of CNBG compared to northern BG and by now they should be already interbreeding.

But to date, I have caught so few, really had no comment to add as of the outcome. I may be far enough north the CNBG genetics just fade away over time.

I will try to note as I catch fish this summer what if any the CNBG introduction has done to my BG fish population.

Last edited by snrub; 01/29/18 09:08 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Help!. Members with coppernose bluegill; we need your help. A lot of the previous photos of CNBG have been lost due to the Photobucket policy change. Would you PLEASE look for some of your pictures of CNBG and post them or provide a link to them on the forum for our photo records.

scott69 - You mention - "it appears that their fins may be what has more of a yellow tint...."". Are you positive that you stocked only the pure CNBG bluegill into the new pond??. Did you hand select them or buy them from a fish farm? I do not recall that CNBG have a noticeable amount of yellow on their fins. What I can now find on the PB BG pictures the only fins that may have some slight yellow tint are the pectoral (side) fins. IMO the pelvic (lower) and anal fins rarely show any yellow. Hybrid bluegill HBG commonly have yellow on the pelvic and anal fins.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/29/18 01:31 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
CNBG

Attached Images
800x600CNBG.JPG
Last edited by ewest; 01/29/18 06:12 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
CNBG

Attached Images
cnbg 1 th.jpg starmay2010006.JPG cnbg 2 th.jpg cnbg th.jpg CpnoseBrd2006.JPG
Last edited by ewest; 03/07/18 12:22 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
CNBG

Attached Images
George37d.JPG
Last edited by ewest; 01/29/18 06:53 PM.

S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
i know this has been asked a million times, but what is the easiest way to add photos now? i did a quick search and didn't find anything. i previously used photobucket. all of my stuff is backed up to google photos now. all i can do is paste a link and not the pic.

Scott Hanners
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
one of those fish above that is being held by the lips has lots of yellow tint in my opinion. to me that isn't a desirable as the deep purple colored ones.

Scott Hanners
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Pictures as a link are okay to provide in your post. I would not consider any of the CNBG in pictures above to have lots of yellow tint on the pectoral fin. All the lower fins are basically with dark hues. This will not be the case with HBG where their lower fins are noticably yellow. See lower yellowish fins of HBG in this link from the archives. You will need to open some of the links to see many of the HBG pictures.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=256325#Post256325

After the photobucket problem, I do not know the best way to add pictures similar to those above from ewest. I do not post pics because it is too problematic for me.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/29/18 09:13 PM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I put this thread in the Archives under "Growing Some Big Bluegill" primarily for pictures of CNBG.

S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S

Scott Hanners
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
this one is very light colored.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OC4g7ndMNgSGI9963

Scott Hanners
S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
This is a pic from the old pond. I sure wish all of them were this color.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8J2Wb5thn7q7gFil2

Scott Hanners
S
S
Try this experiment on your fish some time.

Have two 5 gallon buckets half or more filled with fresh pond water, one bucket black and one white. Put the fish in the black bucket for a few minutes and observe the color. Then put the fish in the white bucket the same length of time and do the same. The fish can change their chromatophores fairly rapidly and the same fish can look markedly different in coloration.

I have found that fish I want to transfer between my (close) ponds remain much more docile if I keep them in a black bucket as opposed to a light colored bucket that lets more light in. They are a lot more jumpy and agitated in a light colored bucket.

Last edited by snrub; 01/29/18 10:05 PM.

John

S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
ewest, how are you adding the pics direct? i just tried imgur and still no luck. it wants me to attach a link.

Scott Hanners
Originally Posted By: scott69
ewest, how are you adding the pics direct? i just tried imgur and still no luck. it wants me to attach a link.

I'll tell you how I've been doing it. You first upload the picture to this forum using the "file manager" in the post options. Once posted, click on the attached image link from your post and copy the URL to the photo. Edit your post to insert a URL, using the URL you just copies.

Basically, you are hosting the image on the forum itself and then just linking back to it. Some forum software will actually give you the option to add the photo link to your post while composing....but I guess this forum doesn't yet.

You can probably preemptively upload the picture somewhere else on the site before making a post, but that's how I do it.

Last edited by ColdSpringsFarm; 02/01/18 10:20 AM.

-Jason
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I am using the same method Jason just described. from the archive thread

Here from Canyoncreek is the instructions (01-12-17) of how to post your pictures on the PBoss Forum. Thanks for his help.
here is a more thorough write up on posting pictures but I'd love to help you learn the ropes.

1. Under the post box is a button that that says 'switch to full reply screen' You want to post in there when you know that you intend to embed pictures in the post or to attach them as files.

2. Under full reply screen start typing as you normally would and when you are ready to insert a picture there is a little icon above the composing box that if you click will allow to add a media item like a youtube or you can add a picture and embed it in the composing box.

3. if you choose to embed a picture it asks you for a link. The link has to come from a picture hosting site that keeps the link alive for that picture. Most people use a free account through photobucket to 'host' their pictures. But some post via a facebook account though those links tend to change or get blocked by internet filters and then you get a broken link on the forum. THere are probably a few other free imaging hosting services online too.

4. You upload pictures to your free hosting account. On PHotobucket there is a little shortcut link to the right of the pictures that allows you to click on 'direct link' which automatically copies that link to your clipboard. You browse your photo library and grab the 'link' THen you go to the Pondboss page, click the photo icon, paste the address into that box and it will embed the link into your post.

Each time you have to embed the pictures through that process. I always hit 'preview' button to see if the pictures are loading properly.

5. The other way would be to use the 'attach file' option but it takes storage space for the forum and also requires every user to reload the picture over and over when they go to read the post.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by ewest; 02/01/18 11:07 AM.

S
scott69 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
ok, i give up. i guess i don't have enough sense to post a pic. ha. i will just have to keep posting a link to my pics. it sure was easy back in the photobucket days.

i have even tried using snipping tool to copy and paste pic. won't work.

Scott Hanners
C
C
scott69, photobucket is alive and well, still a great free option. I dislike that they are trying to extort hundreds of dollars from us but the human ingenuity element has provided the workaround plugins for the chrome browser.

I would just keep using it smile

Originally Posted By: snrub
Try this experiment on your fish some time.

Have two 5 gallon buckets half or more filled with fresh pond water, one bucket black and one white. Put the fish in the black bucket for a few minutes and observe the color. Then put the fish in the white bucket the same length of time and do the same. The fish can change their chromatophores fairly rapidly and the same fish can look markedly different in coloration.

I have found that fish I want to transfer between my (close) ponds remain much more docile if I keep them in a black bucket as opposed to a light colored bucket that lets more light in. They are a lot more jumpy and agitated in a light colored bucket.

Slight modification to above. Place to pieces of plastic, each roughly two feet square, on bottom of pond or tank holding fish. Have one piece white and other black. Allow fish to swim back and forth over them at their own pace. Note coloration changes. Smaller Bluegill can make changes faster. Warmouth are better yet.

Aquaculture
Cooperative Research / Extension
Lincoln University of Missouri
S
S
Jim I learned this quite by accident. I always carry at least one 5 gallon bucket around the pond with me in the back of my UTV. Some times two. I had always just grabbed whatever bucket was handy, not paying any attention to the color. I use the bucket to transfer fish, temporarily hold them till I get them to the holding pen for filleting, etc.

I started noticing when I had a black bucket the fish color was much darker when I pulled them out of a black bucket. I also noticed the fish were less jumpy and less likely to jump out if I had the bucket a little too full with the black bucket. With a yellow bucket I had, every time I moved around the bucket, the fish were agitated. Not so with the black bucket.

I should have known this. I spend around 200 hours under water every year observing ocean fish (just completed 100th dive for this winter trip 2 days ago, do about 200 a year). I see certain varieties of salt water fish be able to change their colors instantly to match their mood or background. I knew fresh water fish had some capability to change colors. I just did not know it was as pronounced as it is until accidentally discovering it.

John

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Mood. That’s interesting

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails