Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, esshup, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 807 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#481031 10/14/17 08:33 AM
R
Reno403 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Tried my hand at cage rearing redear again. I started with approximately 200 three inch redear on April 1 and turned them loose in the pond on October 8. There were 52 that were completely emaciated but still alive and 155 that had shown some growth with the biggest being around seven inches long.

Steve

Attached Images
redear 2.jpg redear 4-1-2017 2.jpg

1/2 acre pond and 75'×40' pond
Lunker
Lunker
Steve, did your water temps have an impact on growth and did you feed mostly at dawn or dusk? Hydrated pellets? Optimal?

I started a similar project on May 8th feed training 104 fingerling RES in a tank out in my shop, I am getting ready to release mine here shortly. I have approximately 25 RES that haven't grown all summer that are still 1-1/2" to 2" in size, the rest have grown quite a bit with one 8" shooter in the group. I have lost 3 very emaciated RES in the last couple of weeks.

Tell us what you learned.

R
Reno403 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I fed mostly in the evening. Started off with hydrated Am 300,Am 400 and Optimal Jr mixed with thawed frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and chopped red worms. I fed this mixture for about two months when I switched over to unhydrated OPtimal Jr. There were six Bluegill added to the cage when they were put in the pond to help with feed training that did very well. Did not notice any shooters like last year but I think there might have been a larger average size than before.

Attached Images
redear .jpg

1/2 acre pond and 75'×40' pond
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think you had very good success growing those RES in a cage. Congrats. Nice project with good results considering RES are difficult to pellet train. The pellet eaters should grow very well for you in the pond.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/14/17 08:16 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
Here are a few pictures of the RES I feed trained in my shop this summer. I'm very surprised at how blanched they are in color, they have been eating optimal all summer and there is very little red or yellow coloration on these RES. Something missing in their diet? Coloration is very different than your cage raised RES.

Click on thumbnails for larger view.

One that didn't pellet train, the average size when I started this project was 2".

J
J
Originally Posted By: Shorty
Here are a few pictures of the RES I feed trained in my shop this summer. I'm very surprised at how blanched they are in color, they have been eating optimal all summer and there is very little red or yellow coloration on these RES. Something missing in their diet? Coloration is very different than your cage raised RES.

Poor color: Lack of sunlight? Incomplete spectrum if artificial lighting? I've seen them like that coming out of continuously muddy water.

Lunker
Lunker
I had a 75 watt 5K grow light for plants hanging 12" above the tank all summer and my shop has lot of windows on the south side to let the daylight in but the tank never sat in direct sunlight.

Lunker
Lunker
One other thing, my pond is frequently muddy but the RES still have quite a bit of red and yellow coloration. Even the two inch RES that I seined yesterday had yellow bellies and tinted fins. We had 6"+ of rain the first week of October, visibility is currently 7", I am thinking this is diet related due to the lack of crustaceans.

P
P
Shorty is the tank light colored or an aquarium? Put them in a black bucket for a while and they might color up

Lunker
Lunker
It's a gray fiberglass insulated aquaculture tank. I did have the overhead light on while netting them.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=359690&page=14

Originally Posted By: Jim Wetzel
The yellow of females blanches as season progresses unless on diet loaded with carotenoids.

Originally Posted By: Jim Wetzel
When we breed sunfish such as RES indoors, the feed is often supplemented with paprika. Purpose is to increase coloration of eggs. Clear-ish eggs do not appear to hatch as well. The females store the carotenoids as pigment in the skin. The pigment is mobilized each time the female matures a batch of eggs. Females pushed hard to produce multiple clutches in rapid succession get a silvery look.

Snails and the like may not be good sources of carotenoids. Crustaceans like in the plankton, which BG more inclined to eat, are better.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That is why a varied (complete) diet is important IMO.

From the PB Conv on Fish Nutrition

Although vitamins and minerals are required in minute amounts compared with protein, lipid, and so forth, they are critically important, … Every micronutrient has a deficiency disease associated with it, the effects of which are sometimes irreversible or fatal. For a few vitamins and most minerals, excess can be equally detrimental, resulting in toxicity.

Last edited by ewest; 10/22/17 04:18 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
I may need to rethink my pellet training program to include some cage rearing once water temps warm up in June. I do think these RES will be fine now that they are in the pond and have access to a more varied diet. I did give them small amounts of bloodworms and nightcrawler pieces to vary their diet but apparently this didn't help with what they need for coloration in their diet. Based on Jim's comments in the other thread I believe carotenoids are most needed for sexual maturity and successful reproduction.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Raise a bunch of craws and put the babies in with the RES. Could use brine shrimp as well.

Lunker
Lunker
The pet store carries frozen brine shrimp and plankton right next to the frozen bloodworms, that would be an easy solution. Cultivating daphnia might be another option, I did add daphnia to the tank a few times in late June and the RES really liked them, they did not last long.

S
S
The pigment in brine shrimp is what makes the difference between white and pink flamingos. Same bird and diet change will transfer into the feathers.

So maybe it would help your RES???

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I don't have anything to add, but just wanted to say this is a great thread. Threads like this are why I continue to come back to PB.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
Lunker
Lunker
I got two of my tank raised RES with the seine net tonight, they are still very blanched in color. grin

S
S
Shorty mine that come out of my forage pond often look that pale. That tiny pond nearly always has a very heavy algae bloom. 18" visibility is a clear time for it. Often it is around a foot.

I think that is the reason for their lack of color.

John

Originally Posted By: Shorty
I got two of my tank raised RES with the seine net tonight, they are still very blanched in color. grin

If they are on pellets still, then there is a way to promote coloration by modifying the diet a little. I do same to promote hatch of eggs coming from fish fed only a lower end trout feed.

Aquaculture
Cooperative Research / Extension
Lincoln University of Missouri
Lunker
Lunker
They won't be eating pellets much longer as water temps will be too cold. They do have plenty of natural food in the pond though.

Sinking semi-moist feed they will consume if water warm enough to consume live prey. They will not venture far for it and will have a longer handling / processing time.

Have you ever played with having a light source near where you feed?

Aquaculture
Lunker
Lunker
No electric at the pond, I do hand feed during the last hour of daylight in a shallow shaded area. RES seem to prefer feeding at the surface during low light levels, they are not fond of bright, intense light. Part of my tank pellet training this summer was to get this group of RES used to feeding at the surface under bright lights, it kind of worked.

For me, in an indoor / low light setting the RES compare favorably to BG with respect to feed intake and growth. Advantage is lost in pond setting when using floating feeds. That is even with fish that did well indoors for several months before moving outside.

Aquaculture
Lunker
Lunker
I have had pretty good results with RES feeding on the surface at my pond but I have always thrown floating feed in an area shaded by trees in the evening that is not in direct sunlight.

I had a very significant RES winterkill event at my pond at ice out this year and my growout project was to both feed train some small RES and get them large enough so that my SMB couldn't eat them. This was a part of my restocking effort this year.

In my first attempt at feed training RES a few years ago I may have inadvertently dark adapted them by not exposing them to relatively bright light on a regular basis as they matured out in my shop. This time I decided to hang a 75 watt grow light 12" above the water and had it on a timer to run 9 hours a day. When it was on they would spend most of their time in the bottom third of the tank as soon as the went off they would move up to all parts of the tank.

I did get them to feed off the surface while the light was on but their feeding behavior was very different than when the light was off. When the light was on they would dart to surface from the bottom of the tank one at time, hit a pellet very hard, then turn around and head straight back to the bottom of the tank. They would frequntly splash water 5 or 6 feet and I occasionally got spashed in the face standing away from the tank. In contrast, when the bright light was off most of them would be near the surface taking turns sipping pellets off the surface.

S
S
Solar lights with built in panels are pretty cheap. That would be an easy way to get light at a pond.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy