Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,070
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (DenaTroyer, Freg, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie), 761 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 26 27
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Guys!My soil doesn't look like pure clay to me.The soil maps for the area he plans to take it from says 68% clay.My pond will only be 150' wide at the most.Most of it will probably be 100' or less wide.It will probably be 250'-300' long.
It will be 12'+ deep and most of it will be at least 8' deep.My wife don't like the price.Surprise!lol!Some of that is I don't think he is the cheapest (he isn't as high as the people that didn't know what their doing) and some of it is ponds just aren't cheep!I will probably have to wait for the wife to get over the price for a while.lol!

Last edited by Bobbss; 06/03/17 09:42 AM.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
J
J
I had a new .28 acre pond 8.5 feet deep built last December for just over $2700.

R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
Originally Posted By: Bobbss
Thanks Guys!My soil doesn't look like pure clay to me.The soil maps for the area he plans to take it from says 68% clay.

By chance i have two NRCS soil scientists within 15 minutes of my proposed pond. They were happy to come out (perhaps bored) amd take a look at my soils. Point was they said the soils maps were pretty general and the soils in my pond area were nothing like what the soils map said it was as further up on the hill. The detail wasnt done to what some might interprete on the soil maps. Also likely the valley my pond is going to be was timbered back in the day and the old timers didnt bother going into the woods - at least in this narrow tract.

Last edited by Redonthehead; 06/03/17 11:18 AM.

[Linked Image]
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Does your guy want a job in the St. Louis area?lol!Mine is no where near that cheap.He said mine would be 1/2-3/4 acre and it's also in a deep wooded ravine with not much room to work in and still needs some clearing.He said he thinks he can do it for $15,000.00 but to plan on $20,000.00.
Originally Posted By: John F
I had a new .28 acre pond 8.5 feet deep built last December for just over $2700.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Mine couldn't come out because his truck has been down since the winter with no repair in sight.My soil seems to match pretty well with the soil map description,but I wouldn't bet on it.lol!
Originally Posted By: Redonthehead
Thanks Guys!My soil doesn't look like pure clay to me.The soil maps for the area he plans to take it from says 68% clay.

By chance i have two NRCS soil scientists within 15 minutes of my proposed pond. They were happy to come out (perhaps bored) amd take a look at my soils. Point was they said the soils maps were pretty general and the soils in my pond area were nothing like what the soils map said it was as further up on the hill. The detail wasnt done to what some might interprete on the soil maps. Also likely the valley my pond is going to be was timbered back in the day and the old timers didnt bother going into the woods - at least in this narrow tract.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
I had the test holes dug, then had the NRCS guy come out, and he brought his soils expert with him. He did ribbon tests etc.. and gave my 80-90% chance of success. He was hesitant about the drainage I had for the size of my pond. As it turned out, I have no trouble filling it, it's keeping it filled that's been the problem. Not necessarily a leak, although I have a small one, it's drought too. The more south you are in Missouri, the more expected rainfall you have.
My wife went along on cost because my other hobby is motorcycle riding.. She was 100% behind anything I did, that kept me off of a bike. (I did a 10,000 mile trip up to Prudhoe Bay AK, and back. After that I was ready to tackle the pond.) Maybe try the motorcycle strategy on your wife, she will pick the pond, if she's anything like my wife. wink

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
S
S
Wouldn't work here. She rides too. We only made it as far north as Coldfoot, Alaska though, hers a 650 Yamaha V Star then (now she rides a Can Am Spyder). Show your wife a Spyder. My wife loves it.

My wife was the one that wanted the pond bigger.

my main pond introduction

Last edited by snrub; 06/03/17 09:34 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well none of that works with my wife.lol!She doesn't want me to have any hobbies that cost money.lol!She asked me tonight if I can find someone cheaper or build it my self.lol!My father in law that passed away a 1 1/2 years ago had a 555 down at the farm that is still there that I could probably bring up but I've only played with it for 10-15 minutes before.I've been using a skid steer and front loader at work for over 28 years but just to move bulk sawdust and sand,which would help me pick it up faster than most people but it's not like building a pond.Then theres the time thing that I have none of,only a few hours here and there.lol!My pond is going to be one that needs finish fast after it's started or it will fill with water.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
L
L
IMHO, were I to build another pond, I would not go with the cheapest quote, but one with the most pond building experience and track record of success.
I do have a nice pond, but the higher quote would have been almost 2x price, but almost 2x size also. My smaller, cheaper pond dam was poorly compacted. The higher priced guy wanted to compact the snot out of things with a loader. If I knew then what I know now...

Of course I didn't join this site until after the pond was built, or my decision would have been different.

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
IMHO, were I to build another pond, I would not go with the cheapest quote, but one with the most pond building experience and track record of success.
I do have a nice pond, but the higher quote would have been almost 2x price, but almost 2x size also. My smaller, cheaper pond dam was poorly compacted. The higher priced guy wanted to compact the snot out of things with a loader. If I knew then what I know now...

Of course I didn't join this site until after the pond was built, or my decision would have been different.

At this time after talking to the new guy,I wouldn't go with a cheaper bid unless they sounded like they knew as much as he did and had the experience he does.It was pretty much night and day from the other people I was using.I think I'd rather make the pond smaller to save money if I have to,but I don't want to do that just yet.lol!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
The new guy I'm talking to said Oak Trees don't do well to near ponds.I have one that I wanted to keep that would hang over the pond but he said we would need to drop the water line down some or we may have to take the tree down,now or later after it dies and that it would be easier now before the pond is built.Does anyone have any Oak Trees very close to their pond that is doing good?

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
P
P
I did have...... they all died

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks.How close was they and how long did it take for them to die?
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
I did have...... they all died

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
I have a few maybe 40 or 50 feet from the pond and they are doing ok. I planted them as "sticks" in 2012. They are around 12 feet tall now. Do a little research. Not all oaks are created equal.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks.Mine was only going to be around 10 feet.I think he wants 20 feet or so.
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I have a few maybe 40 or 50 feet from the pond and they are doing ok. I planted them as "sticks" in 2012. They are around 12 feet tall now. Do a little research. Not all oaks are created equal.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
A
A
The new guy I'm talking to said Oak Trees don't do well to near ponds.I have one that I wanted to keep that would hang over the pond but he said we would need to drop the water line down some or we may have to take the tree down,now or later after it dies and that it would be easier now before the pond is built.Does anyone have any Oak Trees very close to their pond that is doing good?

You may want to be careful with oak trees overhanging ponds, or oak leaves in ponds. Some people have had bad experiences with the impact of oaks on ponds & fish.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

I've got oaks, hickories, ash, walnut, and maples all around my pond. So far I haven't lost any trees (going on three years) around the pond. We've got shade all day at some place on the pond. I really like it that way. I know they dump a lot of leaves in the pond, and suck up,a lot of water, but they are beautiful to look at, and drop the temp an easy 10 degrees when you are in the shade. That's a big oak right behind this feeder..

Last edited by SetterGuy; 06/07/17 10:16 PM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
J
J
My neighbor has a couple of large ponds in the woods, and the oaks that are about 2 to 3 feet or more above the high water mark are OK. Those at the high water mark or below died within a couple of years after filling. Others in between mostly have died too. Eastern red cedars are flourishing just above the high water mark now.

N
N
I have planted a white swamp oak next to my lake. They have bin under 5 foot of water a couple of times and are still growing, that is the ones the deer have not eaten. I was told, that since swamp was in there name laugh they would work next to water (maybe). They did grow with very little watering and the deer chewed some half way to the ground.

61 acre water shed lake. bass, channel cat, black crappie, wiper, walleye, redear sunfish, blue catfish and bluegill. To many bullhead and common carp
http://www.pondboss.com/news/videos/why-subscribe-to-pond-boss
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Guys!Sounds like it could be a roll of the dice.lol!I won't get in to big of a hurry to take it down until I see for sure where the water line is going to be.
I still haven't gotten the green light from the wife to start yet anyway,but she is starting to soften some about the price.lol!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
J
J
In my opinion you should get more bids. The costs between NW Arkansas metro area (pop over 300k) and your area shouldn't be that much different. Around here, in good clay, fairly flat with good accessibility, and not many trees, the cost is not more than $12k per acre.

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Unfortunately I only have one of those.lol!My clay is good,but it's in a deep wooded ravine with steep sides and he is going to have to clear an area just to stock pile all the top soil until he is ready for it.He said when things are right he can build around a 1 acre pond for $10,000.00,that doesn't mean I can't find someone that can do a good job cheaper but I'm having a hard time finding anyone to give me prices at all..lol!
In my opinion you should get more bids. The costs between NW Arkansals metro area (pop over 300k) and your area shouldn't be that much different. Around here, in good clay, fairly flat with good accessibility, and not many trees, the cost is not more than $12k per acre.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
S
S

I left about a 2' diameter pin oak that was right at the edge of full pool level in my sons pond that I refurbished. People told me it would likely die, and it did. Did not last too long

Last picture 014 shows the tree to the left of the picture

Post where I reported it had died. And a report of a bigger pin oak that lives at waters edge just fine. It grew up by the creek though, and the one that died did not have water previously up close to it.

Last edited by snrub; 06/08/17 07:43 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Not sounding to good for my Oak Tree.lol!
He said a big part of the cost for me is he has to strip 2-2 1/2 feet of top soil off the whole pond area.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
J
J
Unfortunately I only have one of those.lol!My clay is good,but it's in a deep wooded ravine with steep sides and he is going to have to clear an area just to stock pile all the top soil until he is ready for it.He said when things are right he can build around a 1 acre pond for $10,000.00,that doesn't mean I can't find someone that can do a good job cheaper but I'm having a hard time finding anyone to give me prices at all..lol!
In my opinion you should get more bids. The costs between NW Arkansals metro area (pop over 300k) and your area shouldn't be that much different. Around here, in good clay, fairly flat with good accessibility, and not many trees, the cost is not more than $12k per acre.

My area is not real steep, and the clay is down about 8-10inches. The last pond was in a grassy field, no trees. The first one was a renovation, brush and over 50 trees on the dam, and around the pond, average 6" diameter trees, some 12".

Page 4 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails