Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
10 members (Augie, IND1371, dg84s, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Sunil, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 766 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Theeck Offline OP
OP Offline
T
That's a big shiner. I hope I can grow some like that.

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll scrap the fathead idea ands just raise shiners.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Theeck
Originally Posted By: Shorty
If it were me I would clean the muck out of the pool and add a liner, then extend the water inflow down close to where the pool overflows and exits.

You mean the whole pool, not the tank, right?

Yes, the old pool/trout pond, not the galvanized steel tank.

Now if memory serves me right fish can have issues with galvanized steel but I don't remember the particulars.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Maybe the flow-through will keep the zinc levels low enough in the water?

T
Theeck Offline OP
OP Offline
T
If it were me I would clean the muck out of the pool and add a liner, then extend the water inflow down close to where the pool overflows and exits.

You mean the whole pool, not the tank, right?

Yes, the old pool/trout pond, not the galvanized steel tank.

Now if memory serves me right fish can have issues with galvanized steel but I don't remember the particulars.

I have thought about framing the inside and having concret delivered to repair the pool but it's a pretty big job for a weekend place. It would probably be costly too. We did use some kind of plastic sheet years ago and fill it up. The plastic eventually started leaking so I removed it. One day, when I have some money I'd like to have it repaired properly. I can afford it right now.

T
Theeck Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I didn't know zinc was harmful. If it causes a problem, I could drain it easily and paint the interior. I'd imagine that that would seal it.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R

Lunker
Lunker
I have thought about framing the inside and having concret delivered to repair the pool but it's a pretty big job for a weekend place. It would probably be costly too. We did use some kind of plastic sheet years ago and fill it up. The plastic eventually started leaking so I removed it. One day, when I have some money I'd like to have it repaired properly. I can afford it right now.

Google EPDM pond liner, or EPDM roof liner, either will likely be cheaper than pouring new concrete to make repairs. Have you measured the old pool?

https://www.justliners.com/epdm.htm

T
Theeck Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I haven't measured it but it's about 14' x 30' x 30 inches deep. It would need the back wall replaced to dam it up.

Last edited by Theeck; 05/08/17 01:22 PM.
Lunker
Lunker
That would make a great forage pond. A 20 ft seine net would clean it out so you could transfer forage to the bigger pond and it could also double as a grow out pond. Can the back wall be rebuilt with concrete block with some dirt/rock behind it to hold it in place? Then add the liner and some sort of drain system and you are off.

T
Theeck Offline OP
OP Offline
T

Great info, thanks. I may do the epoxy thing. I'm on the fence whether to let the sides get a algae coating or to go right to the epoxy.

T
Theeck Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks, Shorty. Maybe I'll do that eventually but I'm not looking to do that right now. The walls are stone with mortal and are probably 100 years old. The biggest problem is that there is a steady flow of water into the pool that makes it really difficult to do cement work. I don't know, I'll think it over.

Lunker
Lunker
Can you add to the pipe inflow and bypass the pool while the work is being done? There should be a way to divert the water around the pool so it can be worked on.

T
Theeck Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Yes, I could but it would take some digging. There is old, broken terra-catta (sp?) pipe that runs from a basin up father (the thing with the roof over it). It's the excess from a spring house that supplies water to the cabin. I would have to dig up the old pipe and remove it. Right now, the black plastic pipe carries about 1/2 of the flow. It is inside the old terra-cotta pipe and about 1/2 of the flow gets into the old pipe passage.

It something that I'll probably do in a few years. I have a lot of small projects filling my schedule right now. Between food plots, equipment repair and fishing/hunting time, young kids, building a camping cabin, etc., I don't have the time or motivation right now. If I was wealthy, I'd hire someone to do it. Unfortunately, I'm not.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Golden shiners will need phytoplankton to grow on, proper spawning material (commercially available), and a low density stocking to live. Golden shiners are notoriously difficult to keep alive outside an earthen bottom, fertile pond.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Here is one I caught by hook and line a week and half ago, I am going to start culling all GSH over 7".

Steve you should cut and feed to your SMB...they'll grow fast.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

T
Theeck Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Golden shiners will need phytoplankton to grow on, proper spawning material (commercially available), and a low density stocking to live. Golden shiners are notoriously difficult to keep alive outside an earthen bottom, fertile pond.

I guess I jumped in too fast. Now I am thinking about lining the pool and probably just wasted $370 on the stock tank.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
With all the flow-through, you might throw a couple small fish in from you pond and see what happens. I think a scum layer on the metal can also decrease zinc leaching, so you might want to wait a couple weeks and try again. If the water is coming from the ground, you might want to have it tumble over something to aerate it.

FWIW

I've seen a product called Pond Shield that, IIRC, is a two part epoxy that is supposed to stick to pretty much anything.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

I am pretty sure my larger SMB are catching and eating some of the 7-8" GSH in my pond.

T
Theeck Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
FWIW

I've seen a product called Pond Shield that, IIRC, is a two part epoxy that is supposed to stick to pretty much anything.

Thanks, Bill. The property is about a hour and a half from where I live. I am normally only there on the weekends. I'm going to try to go up there on Saturday. I think I will drain it and take a look. If there is too much pond scum already, I'll probably leave it be. If not, I think I'll take the tank out and paint it. I'all see if I can find Pond Sheild around locally. Thanks again.

(I need to learn to be less impulsive. I tend to make quick decisions and jump into things - sometimes without adequate research)

Lunker
Lunker

I am pretty sure my larger SMB are catching and eating some of the 7-8" GSH in my pond.

There's one way to find out...nose hook live line and hold on!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
TJ, I found an 8" GSH floating along the bank a few days ago that looked liked it had been coughed up. I may have to try nose hooking one. grin

T
T

Shorty, Your Smb that can eat 7 to 8" gsh, WOW ! I got to get me some of those SMB smile Great job with your SMB and RES. And I might be wrong here, but I seam to remember your interest in HSB in the same pond. If so, I think you will grow some nice ones, based on your others in the pond.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy

(I need to learn to be less impulsive. I tend to make quick decisions and jump into things - sometimes without adequate research)

Welcome to the club.. I'm guilty of the exact same thing. wink

Your place looks neat. Your Dad picked a cool spot years ago, and it looks like you're really improving it. Im enjoying reading along.

Plus, I just found out SMB could eat a bigger GSH than I thought they could. Good to know.

Last edited by SetterGuy; 05/10/17 07:24 AM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
T
T
If you can get some cider concert block to rebuild the wall start saving the fish that are big enough to eat and have the whole family up grandparents aunts uncles and have a a crew to help you then at then end as a thank you have a fish fry you can have people help dig place concert blocks patch holes and get things moving a lot quicker and get to enjoy your property instead of doing just work good luck I will be following along

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday