Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,942
Posts557,764
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, Snipe, simon, Steve Clubb, Boondoggle, esshup), 756 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted By: Shawk
Planning to do the t-pipe now and plug the horizontal end. This will allow us to have a choice of a couple levels. After a year or two of ownership I can decided on more of a permanent setup. ...

You probably already thought of this but just in case...I would spend a little time thinking about how I want to plug the end of the horizontal part of the T. An 18 inch pipe has a cross section of around 250 sq in. If you decide to lower the pond level from the vertical of the T to the horizontal, I would remove the horizontal plug while the drain pipe is still full. If you let the pond drain to where the vertical is not overflowing, level is still above the horizontal and the drain pipe goes empty, there could be a few hundred pounds of water pressure trying to keep you from removing the plug from the horizontal....In other words, I would think of a way to plug the horizontal that can be removed even if there are a few hundred pounds against the plug.

Just my 1 cent...

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/12/17 06:30 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
The good info just keeps coming in! Thanks all!!

Planning to do the t-pipe now and plug the horizontal end. This will allow us to have a choice of a couple levels. After a year or two of ownership I can decided on more of a permanent setup. smile

Side not... I have a fish list now... smile I decided to hit it hard up front which will hopefully pay off down the road. I plan to do a little more homework on the pond before we dump them in but the plan is to get some fish back in this pond in the next week or two!

Pond is right at 2 acres
200 LMB
1000 BG
1000 HBG
400 Shellcrackers
200 Catfish
20 Grass carp

Shawk,
I did this exact thing when my pond was expanded back in 2014, but I used a 90 degree elbow instead of a T. I cut it and installed it extra long, then slowly started cutting it back and monitored water level in the pond. I actually cut it shorter than I wanted to, but went to a supply store and picked up a rubber pipe clamp. After I calculated the desired height for the correct water level, I slipped the rubber clamp over both ends of the drain (siphon) pipe and tightened them up. The water level is spot on even to this day, except for after big rains when the siphon runs over until the water level drops. Good luck.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
S
Shawk Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm all ears with this thing Bill... so I appreciate all info. smile

Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Planning to do the t-pipe now and plug the horizontal end. This will allow us to have a choice of a couple levels. After a year or two of ownership I can decided on more of a permanent setup. ...

You probably already thought of this but just in case...I would spend a little time thinking about how I want to plug the end of the horizontal part of the T. An 18 inch pipe has a cross section of around 250 sq in. If you decide to lower the pond level from the vertical of the T to the horizontal, I would remove the horizontal plug while the drain pipe is still full. If you let the pond drain to where the vertical is not overflowing, level is still above the horizontal and the drain pipe goes empty, there could be a few hundred pounds of water pressure trying to keep you from removing the plug from the horizontal....In other words, I would think of a way to plug the horizontal that can be removed even if there are a few hundred pounds against the plug.

Just my 1 cent...

S
Shawk Offline OP
OP Offline
S

Originally Posted By: stickem'
The good info just keeps coming in! Thanks all!!

Planning to do the t-pipe now and plug the horizontal end. This will allow us to have a choice of a couple levels. After a year or two of ownership I can decided on more of a permanent setup. smile

Side not... I have a fish list now... smile I decided to hit it hard up front which will hopefully pay off down the road. I plan to do a little more homework on the pond before we dump them in but the plan is to get some fish back in this pond in the next week or two!

Pond is right at 2 acres
200 LMB
1000 BG
1000 HBG
400 Shellcrackers
200 Catfish
20 Grass carp

Shawk,
I did this exact thing when my pond was expanded back in 2014, but I used a 90 degree elbow instead of a T. I cut it and installed it extra long, then slowly started cutting it back and monitored water level in the pond. I actually cut it shorter than I wanted to, but went to a supply store and picked up a rubber pipe clamp. After I calculated the desired height for the correct water level, I slipped the rubber clamp over both ends of the drain (siphon) pipe and tightened them up. The water level is spot on even to this day, except for after big rains when the siphon runs over until the water level drops. Good luck.

Thanks Stick... Good to know others have done this! I have not plans to add huge amounts of water, but with the layout around the pond I think an extra foot or two would put it right were it should be... we'll see.

L
L
I would leave out the grass carp unless you have a serious vegitation problem, or only start with 2 and increase very slowly (2per year). From what I have seen here they can strip a pond bare of natural cover, stir up sediment when they run low on food, and getting them out is near impossible.

S
Shawk Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
I would leave out the grass carp unless you have a serious vegitation problem, or only start with 2 and increase very slowly (2per year). From what I have seen here they can strip a pond bare of natural cover, stir up sediment when they run low on food, and getting them out is near impossible.

I think we may need a few in the pond... but I may hang tight and see how bad the pond gets this year too. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
Opportunistic Munchers
by Snipe - 04/17/24 11:25 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Steve Clubb - 04/17/24 11:18 PM
EURYHALINE POND UPDATE
by Fishingadventure - 04/17/24 10:48 PM
How many LMB to remove?