Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DTinIND Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Live on a 200 acre lake in Indiana.
Our association is looking for a source for broadleaf pondweed to purchase.
Thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What is the genus and species of the plant in particular? I looked for broadleaf pondweed on the internet and found a couple of different species.

Public or private body of water? Why do you want to stock this particualr species?

By the way, welcome to the forum from a fellow Hoosier? What part of the state are you in?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
DTinIND Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hello. Montgomery Co. IN
I find info on broadleaf pondweed on the Internet but not a place to purchase it.
We purchased some other types of aquatic plants but that provider didn't have broadleaf avail.
This plant because our biologist said it is a good choice for our lake. Not sure the particular species of broadleaf, I'd have to ask.
Appreciate any info.
Thanks.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
When you know the genus and species then we can provide better information. As esshup suggests broadleaf could mean one of several types especially in different areaas of the USA. Get back with the biologist and ask for a specific name and a scientific name with genus and species is much more helpful. With a specific name, and if the plant is not available commercially, it is likely someone on the PBforum has it or knows of a source.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/26/10 09:02 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
DTinIND Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Email response from the biologist said: 'It's broadleaf pondweed, I'll have to check for genus and species,....I've never been able to find any for sale. Genus might be Potamogeton, but not sure off the top of my head.'

I guess the point here may be that it is difficult to find any broadleaf pondweed for sale. If we could find a source that sells any of the genus or species of the broadleaf, that may be of benefit to us.

Do you think we could start with trying to find a supplier of the broadleaf and if more detailed info is needed I'll certainly get it?

D
DTinIND Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I received more info from the biologist:

Large leaf pondweed is Potamogeton amplifolius, and clasping pondweed Potamogeton richarsonii would both work, but they only grow naturally in the northern third of the state and northward, in the natural lake regions.

(Indiana)

Those would be the species of broadleaf we are looking for.

Last edited by DTinIND; 10/26/10 08:26 PM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
DTinIND - Okay now we know the specific name. As I recall I have never seen this plant advertized for sale commercially. There are at least a couple forum members here that have access to that plant (P.amplifolius). I got a start of it this July of 2010 from a from a gracious PBoss member. I planted a couple seed heads and a section of rooted plant in two small tubs with heavy garden dirt. As of a couple weeks ago the rooted plant still had some viable growth of stem and several leaves. Normally several weeks after most Potamogeton species develop seeds the main plant begins to die back. Next spring will determine if the plants show regrowth. If so, this will be a way for you and others to get it started. Try to remind us again in late May, June of 2011 for an up date.

D
DTinIND Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks. I would like to try growing them if you or anyone else would be willing to mail me seeds/starts.

If anyone comes across a supplier please let me know.

T
Fingerling
Fingerling
T
I've been looking for what I call American pondweed, which I've read, on this site, can be a good addition to a pond. When I search the net all I come up with is how to get rid of it...Makes me wonder if I'm looking for an invasive species yhat I'll regret introducing in the future.

fishman
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nope, you are on the right track. Sumbersed or emergent pond weeds are hard to find because there are very few suppliers. Try searching for J.F. New in Indiana. They might have some this Spring.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
For American Pondweed aka long-leaf pondweed try Wildlife Nurseries, Inc, POB 2724, Oshkosh WI 54903-2724 920-231-3780. I bought my long leaf starts from them 10 yrs ago and it is still present although with competition it has not become overabundant, actually sort of sparse when competing with eel grass. They also have IMO other beneficial emergent shallow water marginal plants such as wild rice, wild calla (water arum), lizard tail, pickerel plant, deep water duck potato (Sagitaria rigida), arrow arum (Peltandra virginica), and sweet flag.

For those interested in the clasping leaf pond weed (Potamogeton richardsonii, also called bassweed, muskie weed) noted in my post above, this nursery calls them Bassweed or Redhead Grass roots. It will tolerate mild salinity - real hard water and soft water. It will grow to depths of 10 ft if the water is clear and light can reach those depths. If water is more turbid 20"-3 ft then growth is to depths of 2-6ft. Several parts of this plant are good food for ducks.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/22/11 08:26 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bill, I'll get you those samples of these plants that we talked about last Spring. When I went to the lake to get them this year they had spread the herbicide already. It gave them a haircut, but didn't kill them. When the water warms up a little I'll go swimming. They are growing in about 4' of water.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
DTinIND - .... I planted a couple seed heads and a section of rooted plant in two small tubs with heavy garden dirt. As of a couple weeks ago the rooted plant still had some viable growth of stem and several leaves.....

Bill C.

Any update on whether the seeds germinated and survived? I would like to collect some seed heads from my pondweed this year and get them planted in another area of the pond if you think it will stand a chance of working.

Thanks,

Bill D.

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/22/17 03:28 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I did not see any sprouts from the seed heads but the actual plants grew well in the tubs. IMO Best success of new plant growth will be by transplanting the growing plants to the new location.

I had a good growth started of this plant. Then I used a light dose of Sonar 10ppb for curly leaf pond weed and it wiped out the nice established bed of broadleaf pondweed.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/27/19 09:28 PM.

Thanks Bill. I wonder if the seed needs some special conditioning like passing thru the digestive tract of water fowl to be viable.

[Linked Image]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Thanks Bill. I wonder if the seed needs some special conditioning like passing thru the digestive tract of water fowl to be viable.

Maybe a certain number of chilling hours?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Is this helpful?

NAJADACEAE
“Potamogeton spp. …pondweed.. the results from the five species … indicate that seeds of Potamogeton germinate readily if first subjected to several months of cold storage in water without first allowing them to dry. Seeds stored in water without chilling germinated very slowly and irregularly. Seeds stored in water for 5 months at room temperature and then chilled of 39 days a 1-3C gave good germination within 10 days. Dry seeds showed almost no germination. The seeds with thin pericarps do not withstand drying but usually die. Those with a thick boy pericarp, upon drying, enter a long dormant period. Such seeds, when subsequently placed in water, germinate very irregular. Seeds of all five species were cut open after 5 months of dry storage. Only two gave any germination, P. pectinatus, 21 per cent and P. americanus {P. nodosus}, 19 per cent”

http://www.victoria-adventure.org/aquatic_plants/seed_storage_germination_muenscher.htm

A
A
I've never ordered plants from these folks, so I can't recommend them from personal experience. However, they seem to cater to the needs of pond owners. They offer packages of various plants, including American pondweed, depending on your goals. Fish habitat, erosion control, wildlife feeding, aesthetic value.

http://www.pondking.com/service/aquatic-plants/

Last edited by anthropic; 04/15/17 08:09 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Originally Posted By: RAH
Is this helpful?

NAJADACEAE
“Potamogeton spp. …pondweed.. the results from the five species … indicate that seeds of Potamogeton germinate readily if first subjected to several months of cold storage in water without first allowing them to dry. Seeds stored in water without chilling germinated very slowly and irregularly. Seeds stored in water for 5 months at room temperature and then chilled of 39 days a 1-3C gave good germination within 10 days. Dry seeds showed almost no germination. The seeds with thin pericarps do not withstand drying but usually die. Those with a thick boy pericarp, upon drying, enter a long dormant period. Such seeds, when subsequently placed in water, germinate very irregular. Seeds of all five species were cut open after 5 months of dry storage. Only two gave any germination, P. pectinatus, 21 per cent and P. americanus {P. nodosus}, 19 per cent”

http://www.victoria-adventure.org/aquatic_plants/seed_storage_germination_muenscher.htm

Thanks RAH! Very informative.

[Linked Image]
S
S
Were you able to find any plants???? I also live on a 60 acre lake in Indiana, would be interested if you found anywhere to purchase them. Also, why is your association planting plants??? Are there none in the lake, are there grass carp that have eaten everything, again just curious. Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images