Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 183 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 182 183
Mark, I didn't get enough to really pack pounds on my LMB, but I did get enough to evaluate the possibilities. I know I say it a lot, but with 11 ares of water, it always boils down to location, location, location. Whatever I can try to keep CNBG and LMB is areas I want, I'll do.

Most of the RBT went into the brood pound in my attempt to put 3-4" on them before March when their survivability gets iffy. We did release one 10" golden RBT at the dam feeder, and he/she made it 10' before the explosion hit. Our winter time fun just got amped up.

AL

T
T
Al, I am glad you are posting about the trout and please continue to keep us in the loop. Todd and I discussed the trout, he asked if I was ready but I thought next year would be a better year for trout stocking. Right now my lmb mouth gape is small and I would need 4 to 6" trout. But next year. smile

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Tracy, will do. I need to do a year end update for the brood pond anyway, so I'll post RBT updates there.

I'm pretty sure this won't be something we do every year, but the all the stars aligned for us this year for a big push. Coontail under control so a big jump in our CNBG recruitment, high tilapia stockings over the last 2 years to take pressure off those newly minted CNBG, and the golden months of January and February for LMB. IMHO, there's no better time of the year to catch that largest LMB of the year.

Because of all that, I like to think of the RBT addition as target forage. I don't want to feed all my LMB, just the larger lazy egg laden one's.

AL

Today I made my annual Post Christmas cover run. My experience is that box stores are happy to get rid of them. Picked these up at Lowe's today, and they had to charge me for them. 50 cents a piece. I normally get 2-3 years out of them before they need to be replenished.

Heron love trout, I hate herons. I put up my barrier today after seeing a GBH fly away from the brood pond.

AL

Al,

Neat idea on source of trees! I've had some in for a couple years now and they don't seem to be deteriorating very fast. Maybe it's the super high alkalinity of our pond water?

I like your heron fence as well. What did you use for posts? Why did you tilt them towards the water? Is that bird netting?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
C
OP Offline
C
Al will know for sure but his posts look like the 1/4" diameter, 48" posts folks use to mark driveways for snowplowing. They have the reflective tape at the top which works great at night when trying to find your driveway in a snowstorm..

You can find 100 packs for about 75 cents a piece on ebay and if you get more than 100 they get cheaper yet. They come in blue, yellow, orange, green etc. I found my orange ones seemed to fade and deteriorate pretty quickly after a season in the sun. They also give nasty splinters when they split (fiberglass). I bought yellow ones for my driveway instead of orange this year just to see if they hold up better in the sun.

Usually they have a blunt bottom but the ones I got this year happened to have the bottoms tapered to a semi-point which helps me push them in by hand. I find they are very useful as a marker in the woods (the orange or yellow ones catch your eye from a distance) and are very helpful for putting up temporary fencing like above.

When they splinter (usually at the ground level from the snow pushing against them) I take a hacksaw to the splintered part and save the shorter ones for stakes in the garden when I plant my rows and before the seeds or tiny plants are easily visible.

very handy to have a few around. I store them in a section of 4" thin wall PVC cut at about 42" (with the bottom closed off with one of those caps that has the small holes in for drainage) that I had laying around as they don't tend to stay in one place when you try to stack 100 of them in the corner smile

I bet his idea will work fabulous for keeping the GBH out!

Bill, it may be. I don't like the Christmas trees as well as cedars, but it sure is nice to have twenty somethings helping you load the trailer. Much better than cutting cedars out of fence rows all day.

Thanks Bill. IIRC, Cecil Baird had posted something like this or very similar. I thought it had merit, so I've been doing it the last 3 years.

For the posts, I use the $2 orange roadway markers. They're fiberglass, and wont break unless you try to. I tilted them in so the heron won't stand on the bottom on the pond side. It also helps keep them working when the water fluctuates.

It's just the cheapest 4'X50' plastic fencing I could get. It's got a 1" mesh, so I keep the bottom out of the water. It's rare, but it can catch smaller fish by the gills. Oh, zero herons when these are out.

Also, if you stand the fencing straight up, it's great in the fall for catching leaves before they get in the pond.

EDIT: canyoncreek, I'd pay $75 for a hundred in a heart beat. We use a lot of them around here. Thanks for that info.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 12/27/16 06:07 PM.

AL

Thanks for the info guys. I use those stakes during the winter to mark the driveway for snow removal. I might just have to give it a try. I think that could be a good geese deterrent as well as GBH! smile

[Linked Image]
T
T
I should have gone and pick up some Christmas trees the past couple of days but a dr apt interrupted me from doing so. But I did sneak in a few hrs of cnbg fishing and let me tell you, the size of some of those bg were the largest I have ever caught.. Caught on a blue and white skirt crappie jig with a road runner head on ultra light tackle using braded line. Surface water temp was 62 degrees. Sorry no pics, I don't keep my phone in my pocket in the pond boat. the pond has one of my phones already

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
So I got all the trees drilled, and the rope added. These are ready to be put out.

6 new brush piles started, and 3 old ones reloaded. 4 hours, and less than $100 for pipe, t posts, and trees.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 12/28/16 12:51 PM.

AL

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Bill, it may be. I don't like the Christmas trees as well as cedars, but it sure is nice to have twenty somethings helping you load the trailer. Much better than cutting cedars out of fence rows all day.

Thanks Bill. IIRC, Cecil Baird had posted something like this or very similar. I thought it had merit, so I've been doing it the last 3 years.

For the posts, I use the $2 orange roadway markers. They're fiberglass, and wont break unless you try to. I tilted them in so the heron won't stand on the bottom on the pond side. It also helps keep them working when the water fluctuates.

It's just the cheapest 4'X50' plastic fencing I could get. It's got a 1" mesh, so I keep the bottom out of the water. It's rare, but it can catch smaller fish by the gills. Oh, zero herons when these are out.

Also, if you stand the fencing straight up, it's great in the fall for catching leaves before they get in the pond.

EDIT: canyoncreek, I'd pay $75 for a hundred in a heart beat. We use a lot of them around here. Thanks for that info.

I'll attach a link to probably the biggest online seller. You can buy 50, 100, 200 or even 4000 at a time in any color or a multi-color pack. If you buy WITHOUT the reflective tape they are about 50 cents a piece when bought in bulk.

I have no connection to the seller but just know price is right when you buy them at volume discount. Like you, I find all kinds of uses for them smile

Stakemaker1

F
F
Did you remove the old ones Al or just stack more on top?? How deep of water are they in??

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
I just keep stacking til they can't take anymore.

We're still low from the summer, so when the pond fills back up this spring these should be in 5-6' of water. They're very easy to reload from a boat. I try to set posts in fall or winter when the water's lower, so I can just walk out to drive them in. The posts are not particularly attractive to look at, but it's a very easy way to add and maintain natural cover.

AL

Al,

I'm trying to understand the process. I think you drive posts into the pond bottom and then loosely tie the trees to the posts? What makes them sink, the weight of another tree on top?

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/28/16 06:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

[Linked Image]
Bill, here is the original thread.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=28633&Number=367249

What I do is drive the t posts down about 3', then just slide a piece of pipe over that. I want to make sure the ropes don't get cut by rubbing on the t posts. I'll cut them off if we hit the emergency spillway this spring. 6" over that level is about right.

I keep the rope loose, and I've found that when they sink, they lay on their side and hold the others above it up. When I quit seeing the smaller limbs, I just add to them. I'm effectively getting a 10' to 12' diameter chia pet.

AL

Thanks Al. Now I understand. Pretty dang cool!

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/29/16 07:35 AM. Reason: Typo

[Linked Image]
Nice work Allen, very nice indeed.

Its almost like you have done that before.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
I love everything about this project - a true model of efficiency. Well done, Al.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Had a good time at the property Saturday...

Finally caught an albino cat on a trot-line from the cat only pond.

Found the perfect wall decor to over-come
where HVAC tech mounted thermostat:

New Years Eve bonfire and fireworks....

Fishing has never been about the fish....

S
S
Albino cats are cool and I like your fire pit.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
C
OP Offline
C
Zep, you did great on trying to disguise the thermostat. A few other ideas. Behind that thermostat they installed a very wide trim plate. That plate is included for when they have to hide defects in the wall or a different color paint that is showing when they take an old thermostat out and put in a new one. You can easily remove that large trim ring and just use the actual thermostat itself. The smaller size of the thermostat might fit nicely in the recess in the state of texas map there if you lower the mounted location an inch or so too smile

Those thermostats come in a variety of colors. The silver or gold colored ones might look sharp!

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Yeah snrub i think albino cats are unique...maybe something a kid has never seen before...and they would remember a long time.

Now that the project is mostly done I hope to see more of the firepit and albino cats.

canyoncreek...that trim-ring is actually my fault...I had them put it there to avoid fingerprints over time on the drywall, but you are correct it may fit better without it and I will take a look at the gold and silver versions...have never seen those. thanks

Mark, still loving the fire pit. I could spend hours there.

AL

C
OP Offline
C
I grew up with the gold version everywhere. I see now you can get them on ebay but they are considered 'vintage' and command very high prices ($100 plus). It probably is easier to keep things as is or for about $5 you can get a rattle can of any kind of gold or silver paint, flat finish, metallic, hammered finish, sparkly, etc and make it any color you want. Or, perhaps just as easy to get a little throw away foam brush and take the left over wall paint and paint the thermostat the wall color and it will pretty much fade out of sight.

You might also consider a simple programmable digital thermostat too to save on energy when you don't need tight control of temperatures.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Al....we gotta roast some marshmellows!

canyoncreek....I am old-school on thermostats...don't really like the fancy thermostats...give me a "Thermostat For Dummies" any day...lol. The cabins are so small they cool and heat quickly. I can't tell you how many guys have seen my new Honeywell simple digital thermostats and said "I wish mine was that simple". On Amazon I am not seeing the different colors for the digital model I have at home and the cabin.

Honeywell - Non-Programable - Thermostats

Page 10 of 183 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??