Jan 15th, 2020
POND BOSS ARTICLES AND INDEX 2016
POND BOSS ARTICLES CONTENTS 2016
NOTE: Letters & e-mails and Pond to Plate of each issue were moved to the forefront of the articles. Complete Index for 2016 is at the end.
JANUARY - FEBRUARY 2016 – Key: Fish handling, native fish best, Pond builder life, Pond fertilizer, Bluegreen algae, Science pond management, Fish harvest benefits, Deer antler sheds, Winterkill, Bluegill growth, Fish under ice, Genetics for trophy fish, Constructing island, Threadfin shad.
Eds Desk – Editor Bring on 2016/ Bring it forward and make it a better place. Some new writers for Pond Boss.
POND TO PLATE - SQUIRREL STEW. Making squirrel stew with vegetables.
Letters and e-mails: A. Finding a contractor for a large waterfalls. B. Now 3 ways to subscribe. C. Dealing with muskrats. D. Too many small catfish (bullheads). E. More articles of fish for Washington. F. Best trees for around the pond. l. Large bass chokes blue heron. G. On-line magazine help.
1. PROPER HANDLING OF TROPHY FISH. Lusk provides 7 methods to handle large fish when caught.
2. THE SIGNIFICANCE OF NATIVE SPECIES. Lusk tells why it is important to selectively choose the correct fish for you pond goals. Production site of your stocker fish is vital to your success. Genetic selection is often important for best survival and growth.
3. LIFE IN THE CAB. Mike Gray tells how he rebuilt and converted a leaky poorly dug hole into an aesthetic well sealed pond. Some wives tales about pond building.
4. FATE OF FERTILIZER NUTRIENTS IN PONDS. Dr Boyd aptly describes the dynamics of fertilization. Explains why nitrogen and phosphorus are most important. Explains why most of the added fertilizer in not used by plants and what happens to it.
5. UNDERSTANDING CHRONIC BLUEGREEN ALGAE ISSUES. Beasley explains how nitrogen and phosphorus play important roles in producing nuisance blue-green algae problems. How to reduce the trend toward bluegreen scums. Ideras for nutrient management.
6. SCIENCE BASED MANAGEMENT. Dr Brian Graeb introduces the plan for his articles that will combine science with common sense to help us build better fisheries. Explains why bass were not growing to trophies despite lots of food and southern genetics.
7. HARVESTING THE BOUNTY BEYOND THE SHORELINE. Bruce Kania explains how harvest can produce more harvest. Innovative methods to recycle excess nutrients into harvestable fish.
8. SECOND CHANCE DEER SEASON. VanSchaik explains shed antler hunting, how it benefits deer management, methods of hunting and finding deer antler sheds when how where.
9. WINTERKILL LEMONADE. Tom Stroup describes a duck pond with fishery that winterkilled. Starting over with help from school kids to transfer fish to repopulate the pond.
10. NEW PERSPECTIVES ON SLOW GROWING BLUEGILL. Dr Wes Neal – why BG grow slow – causes, basic fixes, factors the control fish growth, and whey slow growth can be a social issue.
11. INTO THE COLD - WHAT FISH DO IN WINTER. Cornwell describes the normal distribution of fish in winter under ice cover.
12. USING YOUR MINI POND FOR SELECTIVE GENETICS. Lusk tells reasons, why and how to use a small pond to grow premium fish for later transfer for trophy potential.
13. LETS BUILD AN ISLAND. Otto discusses planning to build a better dream pond and what was involved in creating an new island.
14. THREADFIN SHAD IN BASS / BLUEGILL PONDS. IT ALL DEPENDS. West summarizes some recent studies that examine competition of bluegill and shad, plus provides some new ratios of bluegill – bass stocking.
MARCH - APRIL 2016. Key: Yucatan pond plan, Fish catch rules, Deep hooked fish, Watermeal, Alkalinity facts, Western US ponds, Habitat & fish production, Liner pond, Furbearer nuisances, Timing water sampling, Karst limestone pond, Bucket biology, Testing bass growth, Repair flood damage, Pond revitalization, Bass genetics, Bird migrants vs residents, Crappie & female bass.
Eds Desk – Bring on Spring Trip to Merida Mesico, email newsletter.
FROM POND TO PLATE. PURPLE HONEY WALLEYE Baked fish with cornbread, avocado pineapple salsa, stuffed serrano peppers, purple apple cabbage.
Letters and e-mails. A. Eight ways for student of private pond mgmt. B. Cormorant – pelican problem. C. Repeat of venison blackstrap recipe. D. Plan after editor retires? E. Vertical structure idea. F. Pond builders in FL. G. Bass genetics and hybrid crappie. H. Pond help for Tennessee. I. Feed catfish below 60F? K. Leaky spring water pond NY.
1. YUCATAN VISIONARY. Lusk describes a master plan for am 18 ac lake project in Mexico – stocking plans.
2. SETTING CATCH RULES AND DEEP HOOKED FISH. Lusk tells all about harvesting fish , describes discretion harvest and deep hook removal.
3. WATERMEAL WOES. Beasley discusses watermeal, what causes and how to manage it..
4. WHY ALKALINITY IS IMPORTANT. Dr Boyd in an excellent article, simplifies the concept of alkalinity, its causes, it as an index, influences of carbon dioxide, fluctuation of pH, diaffect of acidity, categories of alkalinity, benefits of limestone, fertilization affects, phosphorus features, liming guidelines.
5. POND FOR EVERY SEASON. DIVERSE POND ENVIRONMENTS OF THE WESTERN US. Tny Voght discusses wide variety of types of ponds and fisheries in California.
6. HABITAT SCIENCE AND THE ATTRACTION VS PRODUCTION DEBATE. Dr Graeb discusses does adding habitat increase fish production. Types of habitat studied and amount needed.
7. OUR NEW SERENITY. TJ Greaney tells how he built a liner pond and provides ideas with helpful hints.
8. NUISANCE FURBEARERS ARE BACK. Van Schaik revies the benefits and control needs for 3 main fur bearing mammals; features, natural foods, evidence of activity, carnivorous furbearers benefits and cons, control methods.
9. TIMING WATER QUALITY ANALYSIS. Lusk discusses reasons for water variability and when best to collect samples for analysis.
10. A HOLE IN ONE. Mike Gray tells of repairing challenges of a pond with sink hole in karst limestone. The pod building, history, and associated problems to attempts to fix it.
11. BUCKET AND BOAT BIOLOGY REVISITED. Cornwell discusses how unwanted and accidental introductions of water and fish can dramatically change a pond fishery.
12. CONVERTING A POND QUICKLY. Lusk tells ohe he used a small catfish pond to test growing rates for female Largemouth bass.
13. MIRACLE OR HARD WORK? Otto describes the repairs and methods needed to a pond heavily damaged by flooding.
14. BEGINNING AN INCREDIBLE JOURNEY. Scott Wren provides three tasks as a plan to revitalize 2 ponds and a 6ac small lake.
15. UNRAVELING THE BASS GENETIC CODE FOR PONDMEISTERS. Dr wes Neal simplifies importance of bass genetics and reviews 4 main factors that affect how large a fish will grow. Discusses hybrids and how best to manage them.
16. GET READY – THE FREQUENT FLIERS ARE ON THE WAY. Birdman Toellner explains resident birds and ones that migrate. How to attract each type. New products for humming birds and some tips for hummers.
17. CRAPPIE – THE ENIGMA. PART DEUX. West discusses using crappie with female only largemouth bass as apex predator. The problems and benefits.
MAY – JUNE 2016
Key: Pond plants, Fathead minnows, Channel catfish, Phytoplankton blooms, Build dream pond, Re-plumb food web, Sculpting rocky soil pond, Black Bears, Reader survey 2016, Pedersen pond I, Smallmouth spawn surprise, Mini-pond conversion II, Pond properties evaluation, Fish habitat, Spring birds, Fish food taurine, Turbid water productivity .
Eds Desk. Pond Boss Readers Make A Difference. History of the magazine and friend referrals. An appeal to provide photos.
POND TO PLATE – CRAWFISH CORNBREAD. Tasty crayfish meat, cornbread, corn and cheese casserole as a main course or side dish.
Letters & e-mails. A. Clear well water pond turned cloudy. B. Deterring snakes in swimming pond. C. Online back issues & articles. D. How much to feed? E. Determine and quantify a leak. F. Ridding a small backyard pond of frogs? G. Check as magazine payment? H. Best pellets for crappie? I. Green water, dye and stressed catfish.
1. AQUATIC PLANTS. GREEN THUMB OR BLACK PLAGUE? Lusk gives a primer about what to watch for in spring plant growth. Discusses management strategies.
2. FATHEAD MINNOWS. Lusk presents good information about fatheads. Benefits, reproduction, and short story why to not feed them to existing bass.
3. CHANNEL CATFISH. Lusk relates his early history with channel catfish, plus pros and cons of using catfish in pond management.
4. PHYTOPLANKTON BLOOMS. Dr. Boyd discusses fertilizing to produce plankton to increase production. Over and under fertilizing, pond colors, types of blooms, bluegreen algae info.
5. BUILDING THE FISHING POND OF YOUR DREAMS. Beasley outlines a good organized plan for buying property and building a dream fishing pond.
6. RE-PLUMBING THE FOOD WEB. Brian Graebt & Katie Bertrand present in-depth information about productivity and 3 ways you can increase it. Discuss the leaky pond food web and habitat curve.
7. PAINTING A WORD PICTURE WITH EQUIPMENT. Mike Gray describes building two ponds in rock exposed soil.
8. GOT BLACK BEARS. VanSchaik tells all about black bears, preferred habitat, seasonal feeding habits, mating, and 8 main signs bear are present.
9. 2016 POND BOSS READER SURVEY. Results from the magazine reader survey.
10. PART 1: MY MOM’S REFLECTION. Kurt Pedersen begins a 3 part series of buying property and building 3 ponds.
11. SMALLMOUTH REPRODUCTION, ACCIDENTAL LEARNING AND OTHER SURPRISES. Cornwell discovers latent smallmouth reproduction, cast net sampling, and homemade dock winter durability.
12. CONVERTING A POND QUICKLY, Part 2. Lusk describes how they drained, & seined the catfish pond. Results of the seining, restocking. Goal is to over stock F1 bass, feed aggressively and evaluate the overall growth rates in a small pond.
13. THREE DIFFERENT SCRIPTS. Otto describes some preliminary details of 3 pieces of property for building 3 different lakes.
14. HABITAT FOR FISH: IT’S COMPLEX. Dr Neal describes how to find a happy medium between an empty pond and one with too much habitat. Defines habitat, structural habitat, how they are different than structure-cover, do fish need cover, he enters the mind of a fish, how to design habitat, location of habitat, and amount of habitat. Structure - habitat placement map.
15. WHEN THEY SING IT IS SPRING! Birdman Mel reflects on spring singing birds, robins, features of tree swallows,
16. POND ENVIRONMENT: FOOD REQUIREMENTS AND DIRTY WATER. West reviews current research about protein (amino acid taurine) needs of pond fish and how suspended sediment significantly impacts pond fish.
JULY - AUGUST 2016. Key: Pond Boss beginnings, Snake types, Barley straw algae control, weather influences pond quality, Trophy bass program, Smallmouth pumpkinseed combination, Tansil Lake, Native browse benefits, Golden shiners, Pond dream perseverance, Invasive species minimization, Mini-pond Pt3, Trench roller benefits, Dry pond tour, 25 years of pond changes, Woodpeckers, fish telemetry, Bass stocking mortality.
Eds Desk: Celebrating 25 years. Intro to Pond Boss 7 conference, Lake LaTorreta TX, Angler survey.
Letters and e-mails. A. Foam from aeration? B. Extend life of drain pipe. C. Praise for Magazine. D. Smelly algae bloom. E. NRCS website for soil types. F. Hints for feeding program. G. Idea PBoss tea shirts & hats. H. Fish attractor structure. I. Benefit weeds for a lake? J. Florida F1 bass 16yr old.
POND TO PLATE – SMOKED CHICKEN WITH BEST PINTO BEANS. Smoked chicken with brisket rub cooked in savory pinto beans.
1. 25 YEARS AGO. Mark McDonald reflects on how Pond Boss magazine was created.
2. SNAKES. Lusk give basic info about snakes found around ponds with two ways of dealing with them..
3. ORGANIC ALGAE CONTROL. Tom Shroup reviews a study of using barley straw for algae control.
4. WEATHER AND POND WATER QUALITY. Dr Boyd explains how weather plays a big role of pond water quality. Topics are: rainfall, water level, heat and stratification, oxygen production, phytoplankton response.
5. A YOUNG FISHERY WITH A BRIGHT FUTURE. Beasly describes a plan for creating a trophy bass fishery in a 7 ac pond – objectives, management and tasks.
6. USING HIGH DENSITY SMALLMOUTH BASS TO OUR ADVANTAGE IN NORTHERN PONDS. Schumann, Hill, and Kaiser tell how using pumpkinseed sunfish can benefit a crowded smallmouth fishery. Discuss other sunfish candidates.
7. TANSIL LAKE. Mike Gray describes the problems of building a pond in rocky soil.
8. NATIVE BROWSE IS STILL IMPORTANT/ VanSchaik How to balance food plots, feeders, and natural habitat most preferred by wildlife. Six reasons why browse forages are worthwhile.
9. GOLDEN SHINERS. Lusk pros, cons and the basics of using golden shiners.
10. STARTING THE DREAM, PART II. PERSEVERANCE. Kurt Pedersen continues his pond saga of renovating for a bass bluegill experiment.
11. KEEPING THEM OUT….. INVASIVE SPECIES AND YOUR POND. Cornwell defines invasive species, provides 15 ways to help keep invasives and their damage out your pond. Ways to help you not to move invasive species.
12. CONVERTING A POND QUICKLY – PART 3. Lusk reviews how he reworked his mini-pond into a bass bluegill experiment. Provides ideas of how to rework the basin as needed.
13. STOPPING WATER FROM ESCAPING. Otto describes equipment of a trench roller, and how it was used to fix a leaky dam for a 15 ac lake.
14. WALKING TOUR OF MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY’S DRY POND EDUCATIONAL TRAIL. Dr Neal highlights the teaching tool features of a dry pond.
15. 25 YEARS LATER. Lusk reviews the changes to pond management over the last 25 years.
16. ENJOY THE RHYTHM SECTION ON YOUR PROPERTY. Birdman Mel describes characteristics of downy and hairly woodpeckers.
17. TELEMETRY – A FASCINATING NEW WORLD. West tells about some of the new instrumentation & tools for monitoring fish location. Includes a study about monitoring early mortality of newly stocked bass obtained from wild and hatchery sources.
SEPTEMBER - OCTOBER 2016. Key: Holtzbauer pond, Sick fish, Trophy fishery in WVA review, Water conductivity, SD management plan, Habitat enhancement results, Earth surgeon, Grass shrimp, Wild hogs, Dream pond III, Jungle rotenone, Mini-pond bass update, Pond life span, Triploid crappie, Birds, Adding larger bass.
Eds Desk. Fall is in the air. Seasonal changes. Next Pond Boss Conference.
POND TO PLATE – Tilapia Jalapeno Poppers.
Letters and e-mails. A. Pre-spawn areas different for bass – bluegill? B. Clearing a small pond. C. Referral thanks and plea. D. Next conference date? E. When to use golden shiners. F. Volume needed to keep 2ac full? G. Where to locate alum? H. Bottom drain stand pipe repair. I. PBoss magazine in Bass Pro Shops.
1. HOLTZBAUER’S HEAVEN. Lusk reviews this family pond’s development for its first 17 years.
2. SICK FISH. Lusk discusses pond fertility, fish production, and the 3 main limiting factors for a healthy pond and fishery. Covers fod, water quality, and crowded fish. Fixing ideas for overcrowding.
3. CHECKING ON A TROPHY FISHERY IN WEST VIRGINIA. Beasey up dates the progress of a non-reproductingpredator trophy fishery. Reviews the renovation and restocking.
4. CONDUCTIVITY OF POND WATERS. Dr. Boyd aptly explains water conductivity. Examples of normal range, and how it affects fish growth.
5. STARTING A WILDLIFE AND FISHERIES MANAGEMENT PLAN IN SOUTH DAKOTA. Brett Kleinschmit reviews & evaluates a property in SD to blend ranching and wildlife.
6. EVALUATING RESPONSE OF LARGEMOUTH BASS TO HABITAT ENHANCEMENT: PRELIMINARY RESULTS AND OBSERVATIONS. Chance Kirkeeng presents first results from improving usable space with artificial habitat as fish cities having horizontal and vertical structures.
7. EARTH SURGEON. Mike Gray creates a talented flow of words to describe his profession of moving dirt to create ponds and lakes.
8. MOST INVASIVE INVADERS. VanSchaik describes the history of wild hogs, their unique characteristics, and the various ways to control them.
9. GRASS SHRIMP AND OTHER CRUSTY CREATURES. Lusk introduces grass shrimp and places where they thrive best.
10. GETTING THE DREAM FIXED, PART III. A Little Boy and His Water. Kurt Pedersen describes his newly filled pond, the stocking process, and a fishing update after 3 years.
11. AMAZON BUCKET LIST ADVENTURE – MAKING JUNGLE ROTENONE. Messila Miller & Cornwell describe a trip to South America where they made and tested some homemade rotenone.
12. MINI- POND IS STOCKED FISH ARE GROWING. Lusk reviews his rationale and experiment for a 0.3 acre pond to quickly grow some big bass.
13. HOW LONG WILL MY POND LIVE? Otto discusses the life span of ponds. Covers enemies of shallow water of growth, evaporation and size. Includes the main things to lengthen pond life span.
14. TRIPLOID CRAPPIE. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW. Dr Neal discusses management of crappie, how triploid fish are made, benefits & problems.
15. LATE SUMMER OBSERVATIONS. Birdman Mel provides hints for bluegirds, humming birds, purple martins, and monarch butterflies.
16. STOCKING ADULT LARGEMOUTH BASS INTO AN EXISTING FISHERY. West evaluates adding adult bass: reasoning, good idea, helpful, expectations, limits for survival.
NOVEMBER - DECEMBER 2016. Key: Pay lakes, Pond oddities, Dirt love, Pond morphometry, Pond sweat equity, Habitat improvement benefits, Cold hydrilla, Hybrid milfoil, Wildlife land squeeze, Paddlefish, Mosquito eating fish, Mini-pond bass growth, Pond aging, Fee fishing, Fall bird tips, Single sex bass.
Eds Desk – HAPPY FALL. Joy of Hunting For Women Anne Kania. PBoss conference VII.
POND TO PLATE – TILAPIA A LA DEAN. Kid tested and approved marinated and sautéed tilapia or any fish filet.
Letters & e-mails. A. Best coontail control? B. Pond renovation estimates, C. Bass – blueill Idaho. D. Request free issue. E. New subscriber. F. Grass shrimp question.
1. MONEY IN THE TANK. Steve Alexander provides examples of types of pay trophy fishing on private lakes.
2. LESSONS FROM THE HIP. Lusk shares several curiosities observed at ponds: yaks, rodent eating bass, fish eye nematode, tilapia benefits, importance of communication in pond building.
3. A PASSION PLAY. Mike Gray describes his love affair with moving dirt and some of the obstacles to build ponds and lakes.
4. MORPHOMETRY OF SPORTFISH PONDS. Dr Boyd explains types of pond bottom topography and how it affects water quality. Includes shoreline development, volume, depth, surface to volume ratio, stratification.
5. SWEAT EQUITY’S ROLE IN TROPHY FISHERIES MANAGEMENT. Beasley elaborates on the integrated approaches to achieve a trophy fishery. Reviews the main items necessary for producing trophy fish.
6. EVALUATING RESPONSE OF LARGEMOUTH BASS TO HABITAT ENHANCEMENT: PART 2. Chance Kirkeeng describes results of increasing habitat improved fish growth and condition. Discussed bass energy budget was affected by added habitat.
7. AQUATIC PLANT MANAGEMENT UPDATE. Dr Bruce Richards provides new information about cold water hydrilla, salt tolerant cyanobacteria, tough hybrids of Eurasian water milfoil, grass carp plant preferences, hydrogen peroxide control of algae.
8. THE SQUEEZE ON WILDLIFE. VanSchaik tells how increased populations and changes in farming land management have put more pressure on wildlife.
9. PADDLEFISH. ENDANGERED? WHY SHOULD WE CARE? Mia Brelsford tells of the features of paddlefish and ideas how they may help your lake.
10. WILL FISH EAT MOSQUITOS? Cornwell presents some good information about mosquitos and which fish will best eat them.
11. CONVERTING A SMALL POND. Lusk updates the progress of trying to grow big bass and bluegill in a renovated catfish mini-pond.
12. LIFE EXPECTANCY OF A POND: THE AGING AFTERMATH. Otto explains why special experience and equipment are needed for pond renovations to start, handle and manage the volumes of thick sloppy mud.
13. TURNING PONDS INTO A BUSINESS ENTERPRISE. Dr Neal describes how crowded public lakes push anglers to productive private waters. Describes several types of fee fishing options. Fish outs, day leases, and long term lease and related obligations of angler and landlord.
14. FALL AND EARLY WINTER BACKYARD TIPS. Birdman Mel provides ideas to encourage birds in fall and winter. Benefits of leaf litter, maintaining feeders, natural plantings, best high energy foods for birds.
16. SINGLE SEX FISHERIES. West provides ideas to easier produce high quality fish that can normally difficult to grow. Common catch and release reduces change of growing trophies. Single sex fish allows more room for errors to produce trophy fish.
INDEX POND BOSS 2016
Basically just articles were indexed. Topics of: Field notes, Pond to Plate Food Recipes, were not indexed. Occasionally a question with a detailed answer from Ask The Boss (Letters & emails) was indexed and then identified as Q-A postscript. The index will often have several listings for the same article such as: bass largemouth; Largemouth Bass; LMB; Fish LM bass harvest; bass thinning; management bass. This may eventually be helpful with some software that is able to search for key words.
Aeration adds foam Jul-Aug 16
Algae bluegreen management Jan-Feb 16
Algae control H202, copper sulfate Nov-Dec 2016
Algae control organic, straw Jul-Aug 16
Alkalinity basics Mar-Apr 16
Ammonia nitrogen Jan-Feb 16
Antlers deer shed Jan-Feb 16
Attractors vs production Mar-Apr 16
Bass female stocking Jul-Aug 16
Bass food tests May-Jun 16
Bass food web May-Jun 16
Bass growth plan Mar-Apr 16
Bass inbreeding depression Mar-Apr 16
Bass intergrades Mar-Apr 16
Bass LM female – crappie Mar-Apr 16
Bass LM growth Jul-Aug 16
Bass LM single sex Nov-Dec 2016
Bass outbreeding Mar-Apr 16
Bass selective harvest Mar-Apr 16
Bass stock larger LM Sept-Oct 16
Bass stock mortality study Jul-Aug 16
Bathymetry Nov-Dec 2016
Bear black basics May-Jun 16
Bird woodpeckers Jul-Aug 16
Birds bluebird, Hummer, Martins Sept-Oct 16
Birds fall tips Nov-Dec 2016
Birds resident vs migrants Mar-Apr 16
Birds robins, tree swallows May-Jun 16
Black bear basics May-Jun 16
Blackstrap Recipe Q&A Mar-Apr 16
Bluegill growth facts Jan-Feb 16
Bluegill stocking ratio Jan-Feb 16
Bluegreen algae mgmt. Jan-Feb 16
Browse native plants wildlife Jul-Aug 16
Bucket biology Mar-Apr 16
Catfish slow feeding Q&A Mar-Apr 16
Catfish stress behavior Q-A May-Jun 16
Conductivity Sept-Oct 16
Copper sulfate algae Nov-Dec 2016
Cormorants Q&A Mar-Apr 16
Cover thermal wildlife Jul-Aug 16
Crappie female bass Mar-Apr 16
Crappie triploid Sept-Oct 16
Cyanobacteria Nov-Dec 2016
Deer antler shed Jan-Feb 16
Digestible nutrients Jul-Aug 16
Dirt suspended impacts May-Jun 16
Drain pipe repair Q-A Jul-Aug 16
Dry pond walk tour Jul-Aug 16
Earth surgeon Sept-Oct 16
Epilimnion Jul-Aug 16, Nov-Dec 2016
Fathead minnow basics May-Jun 16
Fee fishing Nov-Dec 2016
Fertilizer best pond Jan-Feb 16
Fertilizer phosphate Mar-Apr 16
Fertilizer types Jan-Feb 16
Fertilizing for blooms May-Jun 16
Fish bass genetics Mar-Apr 16
Fish behavior under ice Jan-Feb 16
Fish benefit vs habitat Mar-Apr 16
Fish bluegill growth Jan-Feb 16
Fish bluegill stock ratio Jan-Feb 16
Fish bucket stock Mar-Apr 16
Fish buy local Jan-Feb 16
Fish catch rules Mar-Apr 16
Fish channel catfish May-Jun 16
Fish choked heron Q&A Jan-Feb 16
Fish cold behavior Jan-Feb 16
Fish crappie female bass Mar-Apr 16
Fish deep hooked Mar-Apr 16
Fish eat mosquitos Nov-Dec 2016
Fish energy budget Nov-Dec 2016
Fish eye worm Nov-Dec 2016
Fish fathead basics May-Jun 16
Fish feeding question Q-A May-Jun 16
Fish female bass stock Jul-Aug 16
Fish golden shiner Jul-Aug 16
Fish golden shiner Q-A Sept-Oct 16
Fish good handling Jan-Feb 16
Fish habitat May-Jun 16
Fish Habitat basics May-Jun 16
Fish habitat bass results Sept-Oct 16
Fish harvest need Jan-Feb 16
Fish harvest trophy Nov-Dec 2016
Fish inbreeding depression Mar-Apr 16
Fish increase Habitat Mar-Apr 16
Fish intergrades Mar-Apr 16
Fish kill benefit Jan-Feb 16
Fish mortality bass stock Jul-Aug 16
Fish mosquito eaters Nov-Dec 16
Fish native species Jan-Feb 16
Fish out lakes Nov-Dec 2016
Fish paddlefish Nov-Dec 2016
Fish pumpkin seed sunfish Jul-Aug 16
Fish radio tag Nov-Dec 2016
Fish sick topics Sept-Oct 16
Fish single sex stock Nov-Dec 2016
Fish smallmouth Jul-Aug 16
Fish smallmouth surprise May-Jun 16
Fish stock larger LMB Sept-Oct 16
Fish telemetry Jul-Aug 16
Fish threadfin shad Jan-Feb 16
Fish tilapia benefits Nov-Dec 2016
Fish triploid crappie Sept-Oct 16
Fish Trophy Update Sept-Oct 16
Floating islands Jan-Feb 16
Foam via aeration Jul-Aug 16
Food web re-plumb May-Jun 16
Founder population Mar-Apr 16
Frogs overabundant Q-A May-Jun 16
Furbears nuisance Mar-Apr 16
Genetics LMbass Mar-Apr 16
Genetics selective fish Jan-Feb 16
Golden shiner topics Jul-Aug 16
Golden shiner pro con Q-A Sept-Oct 16
Grass carp Nov-Dec 2016
Grass shrimp Sept-Oct 16
Habitat benefits Mar-Apr 16
Habitat curve May-Jun 16
Habitat enhancement Sept-Oct 16
Habitat fish growth Nov-Dec 2016
Habitat fish adds production Mar-Apr 16, Sep-Oct 16, Nov-Dec 16
Habitat inflection point May-Jun 16
Habitat placement map May-Jun 2916
Habitat science Nov-Dec 2016
Habitat types attract fish May-Jun 16
Habitat types Largemouth May-Jun 16
Harvest fish need Jan-Feb 16
Heron choked fish Q&A Jan-Feb 16
Holtzbauer Pond Sept-Oct 16
Hydrilla cold water form Nov-Dec 2016
Hydrogen peroxide algae Nov-Dec 2016
Hypolimnion Jul-Aug 16, Nov-Dec 2016
Ice cover fish behavior Jan-Feb 16
Inflection point habitat May-Jun 16
Invasive species tips Jul-Aug 16
Lake Tansil Jul-Aug 16
Largemouth habitat results Sept-Oct 16
Lease fishing Nov-Dec 2016
Liming frequency Mar-Apr 16
Liner pond small Mar-Apr 16
Magazine Pond Boss early life Jul-Aug 16
Management science based Jan-Feb 16
Microcystis algae salty Nov-Dec 2016
Milfoil new tough hybrids Nov-Dec 2016
Mini pond LL2 Nov-Dec 2016
Morphometry pond type Nov-Dec 2016
Mosquito fish Nov-Dec 2016
Mosquito predation Nov-Dec 2016
Muskrat management Q&A Jan-Feb 16
Native fish buy Jan-Feb 16
Nematode fish eye Nov-Dec 2016
Nuisance furbearers Mar-Apr 16
Nutrient fate Jan-Feb 16
Nutrient fish harvest Jan-Feb 16
Nutrients food digestible Jul-Aug 16
Outbreeding depression Mar-Apr 16
Oxygen fluctuations Jul-Aug 16
Paddlefish Nov-Dec 2016
Pedersen pond saga May-Jun 16, Jul-Aug 16, Sep-Oct 16
Pelicans Q&A Mar-Apr 16
Pellet feed times Q-A Jul-Aug 16
Phosphate fertilizer Mar-Apr 16
Phosphorus basics Jan-Feb 16
Phytoplankton blooms explained May-Jun 16
Phytoplankton nutrients Jan-Feb 16
Plant control methods May-Jun 16
Plants cold adapted hydrilla Nov-Dec 2016
Plants hybrid milfoils Nov-Dec 2016
Plants hyper-accumulation Jan-Feb 16
Plants watermeal Mar-Apr 16
Pond aging Sept-Oct 16
Pond aging Nov-Dec 2016
Pond bathymetry Nov-Dec 2016
Pond best trees Q&A Jan-Feb 16
Pond Boss early Jul-Aug 16
Pond build passion Nov-Dec 2016
Pond build potentials three May-Jun 16
Pond build steps May-Jun 16
Pond build story May-Jun 16
Pond Conductivity Sept-Oct 16
Pond dry walk tour Jul-Aug 16
Pond fertilizer types Jan-Feb 16
Pond flood rebuild Mar-Apr 16
Pond Holtzbauer Sept-Oct 16
Pond in karst limestone Mar-Apr 16
Pond island build Jan-Feb 16
Pond mini fish test Lusk Sept-Oct 16
Pond mini LL2 test Nov-Dec 2016
Pond mini renovate May-Jun 16
Pond morphometry Nov-Dec 2016
Pond mud management Nov-Dec 2016
Pond Pedersen WI May-Jun, Jul-Aug 16, Sep-Oct
Pond plants pros cons May-Jun 16
Pond productivity food web May-Jun 16
Pond rebuild Jan-Feb 16
Pond sediment, muck & production May-Jun 16
Pond size shape index Nov-Dec 2016
Pond Spring fed leak Q&A Mar-Apr 16
Pond start over Jul-Aug 16
Pond sweat equity Nov-Dec 2016
Pond swim advice Q-A May-Jun 16
Pond Tansil project Jul-Aug 16
Pond water & weather Jul-Aug 16
Ponds western US Mar-Apr 16
Population founder Mar-Apr 16
Private fishing fee types Nov-Dec 2016
Protein crude Jul-Aug 16
Pumpkinseed – smallmouth Jul-Aug 16
Radio tag fish Nov-Dec 2016
Rain water effects Jul-Aug 16
Recipe Blackstrap Q&A Mar-Apr 16
Record keeping trophy Nov-Dec 2016
Robins tree swallows May-Jun 16
Rotenone Amazon use Sept-Oct 16
Sediment suspended impacts May-Jun 16
Shiner golden Jul-Aug 16
Shoreline development Nov-Dec 2016
Sick Fish fixes Sept-Oct 16
Single sex stockers Nov-Dec 2016
Smallmouth, pumpkinseed Jul-Aug 16
Snake types info Jul-Aug 16
Spring fed pond leak Q&A Mar-Apr 16
Stratification Nov-Dec 2016
Structure vs fish production Mar-Apr 16
Structure, cover vs habitat May-Jun 16
Structure placement map May-Jun 2016
Student fishery advice Q&A Mar-Apr 16
Survey reader 2016 May-Jun 16
Swim pond advice Q-A May-Jun 16
Tag fish radio telemetry Nov-Dec 16
Tansil Lake project Jul-Aug 16
Taurine amino acid fish food May-Jun 16
Telemetry for fish Jul-Aug 16
Thermocline Jul-Aug 16
Thermocline Nov-Dec 2016
Tilapia Mozambique Nov-Dec 2016
Tree swallows, robins May-Jun 16
Turnover Jul-Aug 16
Water cloudy after pump Q-A May-Jun 16
Water quality due to weather Jul-Aug 16
Water sample timing Mar-Apr 16
Watermeal Mar-Apr 16
Weather effects pond water Jul-Aug 16
Web soil survey Q-A Jul-Aug 16
Weed harvesting Nov-Dec 2016
Weeds cold water hydrilla Nov-Dec 2016
Weeds milfoil hybrids Nov-Dec 2016
Wild hog details Sept-Oct 16
Wildlife browse Jul-Aug 16
Wildlife density pressure Nov-Dec 2016
Wildlife farm grazing combo Sept-Oct 16
Wildlife thermal cover Jul-Aug 16
Woodpeckers Jul-Aug 16
Wren ponds Illinois Mar-Apr 16
Yak Nov-Dec 2016
Yucatan Lake plan Mar-Apr 16
Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Moderated by Bill Cody
, Bruce Condello
, Chris Steelman
, Dave Davidson1