Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 183 1 2 3 4 5 6 182 183
H
H
Drought here has gotten pretty bad. My smallest pond tends to lose water in August, then refill in October. It hasn't cost any lost fish yet. But it was before July and already down a foot. Ran 1,500 feet of water line uphill to a better flow. Seven hours in it is gaining... Slowly. Brookies are loving the oxygen though.
Redneck engineering at its finest... Inlet box...

Last edited by Hollywood; 07/02/16 05:59 PM.

Pond Boss subscriber

Would those that say "it can't be done" please refrain from interrupting those that are doing it...
S
S
Ingenious!

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
J
J
Rednecks in NY? Really?

H
H
Originally Posted By: John F
Rednecks in NY? Really?

Oh, you'd be amazed. We got us some of the golldurnest fine rednecks in all of the good ol' U S of A. My neighbor has "Hillary for prison" in the back window of his pickup. Did it hisself with masking tape.
This one here has spent over half a century in NY, without ever once having had to go to NYC. Upstate NY where I am has more cows than people. And we're all just fine with that.

Last edited by Hollywood; 07/02/16 09:25 PM.

Pond Boss subscriber

Would those that say "it can't be done" please refrain from interrupting those that are doing it...
T
T
Hollywood, I like it, the water line and your neighbor. I hoped there might be some good Yankee's up there. smile I still plan on a trip to Upstate NY for some fishing @ a place called thousand islands, of course, I plan on bypassing NYC smile I am pretty sure I know that lifestyle there and I'll pass.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'm of the opinion there are country folks, there are hillbillies, and there are rednecks. I've always considered redneck to be a sometimes unfortunate state of mind more than anything else. I was born into a hillbilly family, but they most certainly weren't rednecks.

Love the pipe, Hollywood. Good idea!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
H
H
Just stopped down to check progress. Pond is back up a couple inches. 58 degrees here and I doubt the water coming out the pipe is that warm. Perfect brook trout water. The line runs mostly through the woods. It'll warm some ( maybe to 70) mid day but that will be more than off set by the amount of time it runs cold. Once it gets back to the overflow the warmest water will be taken off the top.
Sprkplug... By your definition, I suppose we're country/hillbillie hybrids...
Tracy, that's a great spot, an hour and a half or two North of here. Good seven hour trip to NYC... You'll be in good hands! Great Muskellunge fishing, but usually best in November. Decent northern pike, some walleye, excellent YP and SMB water. Take time to see Boldt castle and Singer island. If you get near the finger lakes area (I'd recommend it!) let me know.

Pond Boss subscriber

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Yep, the media has embraced "redneck", and I believe mistakenly categorized it in the same manner in which they have forever corrupted our vision of "reality".

I'm curious to see how the trout, (and your pond as a whole), fare with this setup. Please post a few updates!

J
J
The dewpoint here is the same as the morning low, 71 degrees. Felt hot and muggy even very early. The only places we have trout here is in the tail waters of four large COE reservoirs. The rules for fishing for them are so complicated that I don't even bother.

Lunker
Lunker
Summer cold front here Nebraska, 59 degrees this morning, we had 1.3" of rain yesterday with a high of 64 degrees. My water went from very green to very brown in a very short amount of time, secchi disk readings have jumped 4". Even with aeration running I have fish piping at the surface in places away from the aerator this morning. Yikes! eek

L
L
Sat at the dock and had my coffee this morning. There was some sort of film on the water. Didnt cover the whole pond, was pushed to one end of the pond by the dock. There were bubbles in it, with a brownish color to it. Was wondering what causes that. I took a pool test strip and tested the water. PH 6.4, Alkalinity 0, hardness 100. Not sure what that all means, but it didn't look good. Any thoughts?

H
H
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

I'm curious to see how the trout, (and your pond as a whole), fare with this setup. Please post a few updates!

Well, three days in and the pond is up five inches. Water looks better, fish are active again. So far, so good. My goal is to reach overflow again, skim the debris and warmest water off the top. 90's here this week with no rain again... Glad I got this in place.

Pond Boss subscriber

H
H
Spring water to the pond is working great after a week of flow. Pond level has risen 9-10 inches, about four inches left to reach over flow. Water looks better and the brookies are MUCH more active than they've been at this point of summer in years past. Water from the 1,500 feet of line warms some throughout the day. Most of it is shaded but enough sees sun that it does get warmer than I'd prefer at mid day, 70-72 degrees. I've decided to just let it ride and run 24/7 though. It's adding oxygen at its warmest about five hours a day, a couple hours either side of that is acceptable temperature, leaving about 14-15 hours a day at 60 or less. I'll keep an eye on it and adjust as the fish activity suggests. The stagnant, low water I've had mid summer in the past has concerned me... Enough to have a plan ready if we got drought conditions. So glad to have this in place... Had rain in the area the past 24 hours but it danced all around here without a drop.

Pond Boss subscriber

L
L
I'm watching my pond lower slow inch by slow inch as we have only had 0.82 inches of rain in the last 60 days. Church is taking a fair amount of water out to irrigate the church gardens to grow taters, pumpkins and corn. The corn looks pretty pathetic, and what comes up the deer stomp back down.

Not a good year for gardening for us, and I am starting to worry about our well as I overhear there is a problem with our area's water table which may be a result of recent gas wells drilled smack in the middle of our aquifer.

This is our first time on moderate drought since we moved here. First two years we had the pond was dry, but nothing like this.

Normally 16 inches of rain by now, we are sitting at 7.7.

Oh yes, still searching for my wedding ring. Ugh.

I haven't been out to our place since Father's day weekend. The feed in the TH was very low at that time, so I thought I'd get it filled during the next week. I ended up getting ill and today was the first possible day to make it back. Didn't want to, but stopped in at the local TSC and picked up enough multi fish feed to carry us over until I can get up to Overtons and pick up some Cargill (Trident) 4512. No rain up that way for 3 weeks, so the water level dropped almost a foot.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Mowed, trimmed, graded drive, sprayed glyphosate and 2,4-D. Eight hours worth total. No drought thus far, thankful for that. Ponds are a nice green color, fish active and growing. Tired, but happy.

Late breaking: Discovered a tree had come down on the property fence between us and a neighbor. Cut it off the fence and hauled it away. Just got in.

Last edited by sprkplug; 07/10/16 07:17 PM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well we got busy with a nice little Kubota excavator and did some tree , some stump, and landscape work. Sure is nice when you can get equipment like this to help you do the job!!! Leveled off the front yard put in some grass seed. Gonna start looking good now!!!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
nice toy RC51

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah my dad was loving it!! He tore stuff up all weekend!! LOL... Them Kubota's are nice machines!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
OP Offline
C
Nice toy RC!!

MI was getting very dry and the forecast as of last night, no rain today. Low and behold we woke up to rumbling thunder and have had such a nice light rain all morning and now at noon another round of light thunder and nice rain. I hope it isn't just spotty here in W MI as the whole state really needs it. But to see how rain is provided when and where it is meant to be and the forecasters can do nothing about it and certainly had zero chance of rain today still comforts me that Power in nature still has the reins firmly in hand...

Took the seine nets out. Unless the bottom in the shallows is graded smooth as a road the goldfish either make a run under the net and pile through or make a hop over the floats and get out that.

They are really taking to the Optimal feed. They throw caution to the wind now. Whether I'm standing right there or not, they are gobbling food as fast as they can. The water is clear now and it is cool to see 2 goldfish have an unusual black and white pattern. I figure all is not lost if the goldfish stay in the pond, they are setting a strong example to my perch and RES to come and get it every time they create a ruckus on the feeding end of the pond.

Interesting that there is a second 'school' of goldfish that stay on the other end of the pond and will have nothing to do with the feeding end. If I walk all the way around they will ignore the food until I walk away and they they will carefully eat it. It as if they are in a different societal class than the main group and have to stay to the back of the line and on the other end of the pond smile

Working on trying to get my dad-in law's, dad's old Evinrude Fisherman model 5hp to run right, mostly to idle right. Thinking the carb needs cleaning as I can't get the fuel mixture right. Been doing very small circles in the pond trying to test it out.

I need to stop in the middle this week and pull up the aerators and clean off the heads again. Forgot to do that this spring and usually they have a sticky clay on them.

Also hope after this all day rain to have 'high water' and then can wait for a windless day to retreat my soilfloc.

I can't believe how there is this tight skin on the bottom due to the soilfloc. I do wonder if that is why I still have zero vegetation. I have clear water, plenty of sun but no weeds. Maybe seeds have a hard time seeding in the hard pan top layer? Or maybe the goldfish and crays are nipping everything off early?

I didn't put tilapia in this year and seeing just a hint of FA on the south side of the pond.

Seeing lots of schools of tiny minnows, despite my efforts to remove MOST of the perch egg ribbons...

Loretta, did you get any ribbons or perch this spring? I know you have tried hard for years....

My family is coming over for what we call Family Night on Thursday. I'll likely have 30 kids ringing my tiny pond with zebcos. I think I'm going to offer $2 per goldfish caught....

C
OP Offline
C
Caught about 20 more goldfish last night and 11 tonight. Finally got that elusive black goldfish. Picture isn't that clear but I think there is one more with black coloration on it left in the pond so may get another picture later.

I also was VERY excited to see one of the kids pull in my very first longear sunfish. 2 years ago I stocked 25 each RES and LES. Not seeing any the next year, I added 25 more RES. It looks like both made it through 2 winters!

I have never seen a long ear in person. The colors seem right (lots of turquoise dots) but the ear isn't that long (maybe immature LES yet?) and do all LES have the orange on the ear tab? I thought the ear tab on LES were all black?

S
S
Since you stocked LES and RES maybe you have a hybrid offspring of the two?????

Beautiful fish!

Longear sunfish

Last edited by snrub; 07/16/16 09:56 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
C
OP Offline
C
Does anyone have experience identifying RES vs LES vs the hybrid of the two? Do LES have orange on their ear tab?

J
J
Worked on our pond edge bulkhed project
Made great progress trenching and running tie back cables to the dead mans
Also capped off the ends of main bulkhed to hold back fill dirt

Just need one more good day to finish remaining tie back cables installation

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Hotter than Hades today at the property. Murdered some FA in the pond. Gave the mules some oat cookies and had some delicious fresh watermelon from Ham Orchards.

http://hamorchard.com/

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Page 4 of 183 1 2 3 4 5 6 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??