Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,120
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (jbird5986, Sunil, Justin W, Bing, Boondoggle, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure), 878 guests, and 193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
KCKyle Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I searched around quite a bit but could not finding any info on how to test water for safe swimming. I may just not understand the search function. I have zero experience with pond management but have a property under contract. My kids are going to want to swim and I just want to be sure the water is safe. We had a story in the news a while back about a child that died from brain eating amoeba.

I would love some advice on water testing options.

Thanks

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm not qualified to give advice on something like that. However, there are places to have water tested for safety and/or purity.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
The Naegleria fowleri amoeba can be as far north as you are - there is a lake in Minnesota that had it back in 2010 - so yes it's possible.

Nose clips are the best preventative other than staying out of the water, on the very off chance your BOW has the amoeba.

See this article for more info:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...rasite/3633531/

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
B
B
I have swam in lakes and ponds my whole life, and never worried about or had an issue. The risk of drowning are 1000s x higher than death by amoeba, but everyone must determine their own risk. JMO

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah man growing up we didn't have no swimming pool. It was any and all lakes that had a dock!!! LOL.... I wouldn't want to get into a hot stale no water moving pond in the summer but some folks do.

This has "It All Depends" written all over it!! smile

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Brian....I guess the risk of this is super low too...but after it appeared in the Wills Point newspaper a couple of weeks ago..it made me think...lol

http://www.vanzandtnews.com/articles/2016/07/09/alligators-live-here-too

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well like the article says it's rare but when it happens to your child it becomes your world... Ugghh poor parents... so KC get your water tested if it's clean cool!! Go buy a few nose plugs for the kids and tell them if they swim they HAVE to have this on no exceptions tell them it's just a precaution to keep you all safe.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
K
KCKyle Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for all of the responses. That brain eater is scary but agree its one of those you just have to not worry about due to the risk being so low. Like Brian said there is a much higher risk of drowning.

is the consensus then that I don't need to worry about the water quality in general? I was thinking I would want to check for bacteria as well or any other contaminants. There is the potential for Blue/green algae around here which I think can be very harmful.

Is it one of those things were it will be obvious if it were unhealthy to swim in? A bad smell or visual sign of concern.

Thanks again. I can tell I'm going to be spending a lot of time reading this forum to learn about how to manage my new pond. What a great resource!

I
I
Your local county medical agency has the means to test the water for aquatic pathogens. Have it tested!!!

KCKyle, I too would be concerned about the BG Algae, especially as kids tend to ingest more lake/pond water than adults.

When there's warnings to stay out of the water and to keep your pets out due to BG Algae warnings at Milford Lake, KS which is over 15,000 acres of water, that's enough for me to not even consider getting in my 2 acre pond showing signs of the same.

http://www.kdheks.gov/algae-illness/index.htm

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
B
B
Originally Posted By: Zep
Brian....I guess the risk of this is super low too...but after it appeared in the Wills Point newspaper a couple of weeks ago..it made me think...lol

http://www.vanzandtnews.com/articles/2016/07/09/alligators-live-here-too

Yep, there are people that swim in lakes full of gators, but that exceeds my risk level. Everyone has their own level of risk and fears. I'm not swimming with sharks or gators. If a gator found its way to my pond,...........taste like chicken grin!

Trophy Hunter feeder.
KC,
One other thought, just because you test today does not mean you are clear tomorrow, or the next day, ect. The simple thing is to use the right precautions and enjoy life. It is worth living. Besides, in the end, no one gets out alive.

I do test and actively maintain our ponds, and I would not hesitate to swim in any of them.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
B
B
I agree Highflyer. The water will tell you a lot. If it has blue green algae on the surface, I won't swim. Test, treat, and take care of your water and enjoy.

Trophy Hunter feeder.
K
KCKyle Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks everyone. I will try to learn as much as possible about pond management in general and use good judgement day to day.
Thanks for the link Lovnlivin

F
F
Is blue green algea the same as FA?? What are the differences? My pond is a pretty emerald color with 30 inch visibility and my grandson swims in it. Should he stop?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
P
P
James
I have a case of blue green algae going on right now , and not sure what to do about it. That stuff stinks, DD1 said it will smell musty- and it do..... Not the same as FA

Anyone know what to do with or about it?

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 07/20/16 07:20 PM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Agree, not the same as FA.

Ask Cody for the recipe. I've never had it. I have heard that stratification can cause it and aeration is a key in controlling it.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 07/20/16 07:57 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Well, I love swimming in my pond. It's a great way to cool off on a hot day.
I've always got a bit of algae growing. We didn't get much rain from Jan to May, so no new water coming in. Had a foot or so of runoff lately.
I hope I don't get sick, but I do have four grandkids that like swimming also.
I'm not going to test it every time we swim, and nose plugs are a pain in the backside.
Guess I'm rolling the dice, but I better make my kids aware of the risks, and maybe the grandkids need to stay out of the water.
This isn't making me too happy..

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Got up to the pond today. I have another 12" of water up from last week. We had a 2.5" rain that came down very fast. Most of my drainage comes from 10 acres of alfalfa. Not sure what the renter has sprayed on it. He used dry fertilizer earlier this spring. Anyway, had a lot of runoff.
95 degrees all week, and no water actually leaving the pond, as I'm still 2' from the drain pipe.
Have some pretty colorful algae growing. I decided not to swim after reading this thread.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/29/24 07:35 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 07:18 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday