Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate, jpsdad, anthropic), 831 guests, and 192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bigg E Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Do any of you have any opinions on Optimal Bluegill Food? I just ordered a bag to try and was wondering if anyone that has tried it may want to share their experience.

S
S
I use it and I think it works great for my Redear and Bluegill, the golden shiners like it too. The Redear are so fat they look like they could burst.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I've used it on my redears since last fall. I can't say enough good things about it, or the customer service. Seems to be a great product.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
J
J
Both my BG and CC seem to like it. I was told that CC will also grow well on the sunfish food.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes CC will do fine with Supp feeding of sunfish food .

I still have 50#s of my current multi-size pellet feed. I only supplemental hand feed so 50#s will last me a good while. My understanding is Optimal is coming out with a feed that has multiple size pellets as well. FWIW, if they do market a multi-size product, I will be giving it a try. I'm a big fan of multi-size products as they feed all size classes of lots of different species and the Optima chow is being advertised as healthier for the fish in the long term. My reasoning is, if Optimal can provide the same or better growth rate than is provided by current feeds on the market and increase the fish life span, then, at the end of the day, you have the potential to raise even larger fish than folks are achieving now.

Last edited by Bill D.; 05/13/16 06:57 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
+1 order with confidence.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Today was the first day feeding with the Optimal and the gills were gulping it down. So far so good.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I still have 50#s of my current multi-size pellet feed. I only supplemental hand feed so 50#s will last me a good while. My understanding is Optimal is coming out with a feed that has multiple size pellets as well. FWIW, if they do market a multi-size product, I will be giving it a try. I'm a big fan of multi-size products as they feed all size classes of lots of different species and the Optima chow is being advertised as healthier for the fish in the long term. My reasoning is, if Optimal can provide the same or better growth rate than is provided by current feeds on the market and increase the fish life span, then, at the end of the day, you have the potential to raise even larger fish than folks are achieving now.

Bill, where have you been hiding? The Optimal multiple sized pellets in one bag Sunfish food have been out since last Fall. wink

Bill, page 3 has pictures of the different sized pellets in one bag. Check the date of the post.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=423360&page=1

Last edited by esshup; 05/13/16 08:31 PM. Reason: added link

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Online Content
A
Originally Posted By: Bigg E
Do any of you have any opinions on Optimal Bluegill Food? I just ordered a bag to try and was wondering if anyone that has tried it may want to share their experience.

The multi-size Optimal is very well received by my BG, CNBG, and RES. Only been feeding it to them a few months, so not sure about weight gain. But so far as I can tell, they will just keep eating it no matter how long I feed them.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

J
J
Originally Posted By: ewest
Yes CC will do fine with Supp feeding of sunfish food .

I have been mixing catfish pellets with the Bluegill food, and have only a few pounds of pellets left, and lots of the Optimal. What if I feed the BG and CC the Optimal Bluegill food exclusively? Any harm to the CC?

S
S
My fish ate it. They eat the AM400, 500 and 600. They eat the Cargill I get from tractor supply and they eat both the sinking and floating 32% catfish food I get from a couple different places.

They seem to gobble up about anything I throw to them, the Optimal included. No rejection problems at all.

Performance? I have no clue.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In my pond, I have LMB, SMB, HSB, BG, RES, HBG, YP, CC and now Blue Tilapia. I have been feeding Optimal exclusively since early summer last year. All that are eating it seem to be doing well.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
L
L
I started hand feeding Optimal to my BG about two months ago. While I see some eating it, I do see a lot of them spitting it back out. I'm only there on weekends so they only get it a few times a week. The majority of it gets eaten by CC and turtles. I've got native BG that are not pellet trained and some Ots CNBG which I assume are the ones that don't spit it out. Guess I'll just keep throwing it out there see if they take to it.

C
C
L,

I stocked 1"-2" OTS CNBG in my pond this past October. I have fed Optimal since November. My son caught one .275lb 7" long last week. I feed 3x per day totaling 1.5#/day. In less than 1 minute the feed is gone. I dont think you can go wrong with the feed. The feeder was my best investment.

L
L
Yeah I don't think there's anything wrong with the feed, I'm thinking my native BG are just not used to it. Or there are other food items in the pond theyd rather eat. I don't want to use a feeder just yet until I see that they'll eat the pellets. Otherwise I'm just feeding the CC and turtles.

Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: Bill D.

Bill, where have you been hiding? The Optimal multiple sized pellets in one bag Sunfish food have been out since last Fall. wink

Bill, page 3 has pictures of the different sized pellets in one bag. Check the date of the post.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=423360&page=1

Dang! I remember that thread now. I am old and easily confused. smile Was there another Optimal feed coming out this spring? Maybe YP?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
J
Originally Posted By: L's Pond
I started hand feeding Optimal to my BG about two months ago. While I see some eating it, I do see a lot of them spitting it back out. I'm only there on weekends so they only get it a few times a week. The majority of it gets eaten by CC and turtles. I've got native BG that are not pellet trained and some Ots CNBG which I assume are the ones that don't spit it out. Guess I'll just keep throwing it out there see if they take to it.

My larger native BG that I stocked in December have become pellet trained by the smaller CNBG from the fish truck last September. I have noticed BG eating a Optimal pellet, spitting it out, then swallowing the next pellet they find. My pond is clear, and one day I watched an 8"or so native BG spit out every other pellet it found, and swallow every other pellet. Several eaten and several spit out.

S
S
John, did your small CNBG like the AM400 you took home? I think you will find they will come up to the bank edge when they see you coming and beg for it once they get a taste.

Mine like your Chartreuse Waxie's!

John

S
S
Originally Posted By: L's Pond

What I have observed with any feed is if the pellet the fish takes is hard and it is a little on the big size for them they will spit it out (often with a larger fish right behind them that takes it in and keeps it). If it has been in the water long enough to be softened they will retain it.

If you are feeding pellets that are fairly big in relation to the fish size I think you will see more of this spitting the feed back out till it softens. I feed a little bit of AM400 (which is a BB size pellet) in the shallow water for my 2-3" BG. I often throw just a few of the larger AM500-600 mix just beyond to keep the larger fish interested away from the high protein AM400 (all the fish love the 46% protein AM400, even 3# CC). I see a 3" BG hit an AM500 pellet and spit is back out (because of its size and it is still hard) but they never spit out the AM400 which is smaller.

I believe size of pellet in relation to the fish size and if the pellet is dry or hydrated has a lot to do with the fish spitting a pellet back out.

Last edited by snrub; 05/14/16 10:51 AM.

John

1 member likes this: Billy Bates
J
J
Snrub,
Yes, but they won't come in less than about 18 inches of water to eat it. The pond was very clear. I put in some blue dye to darken the water a couple days ago. Since then it has been cold at night and windy. My pond temperature was down to 61 degrees this morning, so everything is off the feed a little. Forecast is to stay below 60 degrees with lows in the low to upper 40's until Tuesday. Cold rain possible too. I have already had one BG spawn and the big native males are guarding second batch of eggs now. I hope the cold doesn't ruin the spawn. Looks like you are a little warmer there than we are.

A
Online Content
A
Originally Posted By: snrub

What I have observed with any feed is if the pellet the fish takes is hard and it is a little on the big size for them they will spit it out (often with a larger fish right behind them that takes it in and keeps it). If it has been in the water long enough to be softened they will retain it.

Very similar reactions from my relatively young fish. Biggest pellets are sometimes spit out by smaller fish, though they eagerly take smaller pellets so it obviously isn't a matter of taste. Eventually the bigger pellets soften and are eaten, sometimes 20 or 30 minutes later.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

M
mpc Offline
M
My fish eat it just not as aggressive as Aqua or Skretting. I think it will be fine. I am going to try it with a different feeder soon to see how it throws before I throw down the cash for one.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
My fish eat the Optimal with no problems. It's been a game changer for me.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
My fish are all over it. Primarily YP. I am feeding the original formula, I think.. At least the bags look very old, and have an expiration date of 5/21/16, so I'm assuming it's original formula. The YP are hammering it. I am on my 5th bag though.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images