Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,059
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (bstone261, FishinRod, jpsdad, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus), 681 guests, and 162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Here are some pics of some crappies I caught out of a nearby public lake.

Lucky me, that lake I caught them out of is within 5 minutes of the house. It was a blast catching them on the inside and outside perimeter of a ridge that came up to about 2 feet and has presently dead bullrush.

The thing I really like about this lake is it's electric motors only and there is virtually no development on the shoreline. I was the only angler on the lake for part of the short time I was there.

Pics could be better, but holding the fish with one hand and operating the camera with another is rather awkward for me.

And unlike a week ago when I put three in the pond, you can now tell the two sexes apart easily. I now have a total of 10 fish in the pond. The 1/10th acre pond has thousands of fathead minnows for forage. Hopefully as soon as I see crappie fry I will seine the brood fish out.

Here is a male: Notice the dark pigmentation.

Here is another male:

Here is a female that did not only not have any of the dark pigmentation, she also had a noticeable bulge in the abdomen.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/27/16 11:30 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

P
P
Nice job Cecil. Beautiful fish
How can you find the fry? I never see any signs that mine pulled off a spawn or not

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 04/24/16 09:15 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Good question. I was hoping it was like bluegill where I start seeing the fry around the shallow edges of the pond. Perhaps not? Maybe I will have to imploy a light to see what I attract?

At some point I will seine the brood fish out with a large mesh seine, and then later come back with a 1/8th inch mesh seine to remove the fry.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/27/16 11:31 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Here's another pic:

They are beautiful species aren't they?

D
D
Cecil, What are you than going to do with the fry?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm bringing them inside to feed train and grow out through the winter. Then at some point I hope to sex them, and put one sex in the single sex bluegill and yellow perch pond to feed pellets to, and grow to trophy size to sell to taxidermists just like the other species I sell.

Anybody have any ideas on which sex grows the fastest and the largest? So far everybody I've talked to doesn't think there is a difference.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/27/16 11:32 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Nice fish with good coloration. Now with 10 BCP you should get some sort of spawn. It will be interesting to follow your progress to see what type of spawn and recruitment occurs.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
P
P
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I'm bringing them inside to feed train and grow out through the winter. Then at some point I hope to sex them, and put one sex in the single sex bluegill and yellow perch pond to feed pellets and grow to trophy size to sell to taxidermists just like the other species I sell.

Anybody have any ideas on which sex grows the fastest and the largest? So far everybody I've talked to doesn't think there is a difference.

I would think the female would outgrow the male ...... The males i catch are smaller than the female. but that's in my puddle..... Guess that's your homework assignment

Lunker
Lunker
I think it will be interesting to see how well they feed train, if anyone can do it Cecil can.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Shorty
I think it will be interesting to see how well they feed train, if anyone can do it Cecil can.

Oh crap pie now the pressure is on! grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/26/16 04:46 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I whacked a couple of partially dead lower limbs off the big weeping willow, and dropped them in the water on each side of the pier, where I've been seeing the crappie hang out at. Since crappie can be "vertical spawners' it's hope they will feel more like making whoopee under the branches.

I'm also seeing a brownish bloom come on that this pond typically takes on every year in late spring. Cody examined the phytoplankton and said it was primarily a benign golden yellow species.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/26/16 04:46 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
I'm bringing them inside to feed train and grow out through the winter. Then at some point I hope to sex them, and put one sex in the single sex bluegill and yellow perch pond to feed pellets and grow to trophy size to sell to taxidermists just like the other species I sell.

I would think the female would outgrow the male ...... The males i catch are smaller than the female. but that's in my puddle..... Guess that's your homework assignment

Yup and I plan to get an A! wink

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
It's nice that you can get away with that down there. Up here it's illegal as hell to do what you just did, and are planning to do, is even worse.

I did browse thru some Indiana State reg's, and did see where you can take a public (state) fish home and toss it in an aquarium, but did not see any reference to stocking a pond with public, or propagating public fish for commercial resale. That's one thing I would want permission in writing for, and signed with their blood!!!

Esshup posted here a few years ago that he heard that if you stocked public fish (Indiana) in your pond, that you have to open your pond up to the public for fishing. He said something like, I ain't putting no sign out front and have people wander on my property.

Public fish are supported by the public thru license purchases.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
JKB,

I have passed it by a couple of Indiana biologists I know, and they have no issues with it and even offered advice on what lakes were best when I was considering getting some red ears. The only concern they had was bringing in zebra mussel veligers into my pond if I took water from a lake with zebra mussels and the the pond overflowing into the watershed. However even if that were the case this particular pond has no overflow as I've got both overflows blocked. And once I seine out my fingerlings the pond will be drained and limed. It will also be treated heavily with PP once it fills before adding trout next spring.

The law here says as long as I have a fishing license and stay within the bag limit I'm O.K.

I would be perfectly happy taking them back to the lake after I'm done with them but that is illegal. I can't even relocate a snapping turtle from my pond if one shows up.

I know your state is very strict on a lot of things. Some of your laws seem way over the top but then that is not my call.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/27/16 05:38 PM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I think your laws could be fairly tough as well, just maybe not defined very clearly.

Do you think if I emailed them this thread, you would get a thumbs up?

Just want to make sure your Ass is covered, and cool to proceed.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
I think your laws could be fairly tough as well, just maybe not defined very clearly.

Do you think if I emailed them this thread, you would get a thumbs up?

Just want to make sure your Ass is covered, and cool to proceed.

Well kind of late now don't you think? grin They are already in the pond.

I'm not worried. I know the law down here, and like I said the biologists are fine with it.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/26/16 08:21 PM.

Cecil,

To be on the safe side, once you get all the spawn you need, you should fillet those stockers (no bones please), freeze them and send them to me UPS! grin

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Cecil,

To be on the safe side, once you get all the spawn you need, you should fillet those stockers (no bones please), freeze them and send them to me UPS! grin

Damn good idea! And let them rot for a few days first! Anybody know their CEO's address that makes 6 million a year?

Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Cecil,

Damn good idea! And let them rot for a few days first! Anybody know their CEO's address that makes 6 million a year?

Not sure why the CEO of UPS would care if I got rotten fish? Kinda hurt my fellins man... grin But to follow that thought, send the rotten ones UPS to the CEO of UPS!

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/26/16 08:39 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The BCP are liable to spawn on your dock posts. Consider tying a 3"-6" wide wooden board upright from bottom to surface onto one of the dock posts.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
The BCP are liable to spawn on your dock posts. Consider tying a 3"-6" wide wooden board upright from bottom to surface onto one of the dock posts.

Seriously?

They will adhere to the board? Will do!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/27/16 09:38 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
It's nice that you can get away with that down there. Up here it's illegal as hell to do what you just did, and are planning to do, is even worse.

I did browse thru some Indiana State reg's, and did see where you can take a public (state) fish home and toss it in an aquarium, but did not see any reference to stocking a pond with public, or propagating public fish for commercial resale. That's one thing I would want permission in writing for, and signed with their blood!!!

Esshup posted here a few years ago that he heard that if you stocked public fish (Indiana) in your pond, that you have to open your pond up to the public for fishing. He said something like, I ain't putting no sign out front and have people wander on my property.

Public fish are supported by the public thru license purchases.

Like I said I know the laws here. No worries. The public fish thing you are referring to is in reference to when the INDNR produced fish for stocking private waters decades ago.

D
D
Hey Cecil, You were right!! Dan

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dan123
Hey Cecil, You were right!! Dan

About what?

T
T
KS had the same deal when my folks lived there: if the State stocked the pond for you, you had to let the public fish.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 08:04 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails