Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,105
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
9 members (Bill Cody, Boondoggle, FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Treeguy27, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS), 701 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Hook Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hello all, I been lurking around the forum the passed few nights reading the stories here . I figured I join in to share pics and progress of my pond. Hopefully I can pick up on a few tips to help me along way.
I'm an avid angler here in Louisiana, I fish speckled trout and reds in the marshes most of my free time and a member of a local bass club. I grew up bass fish with my dad. I would like nothing more than to get home from work and be able to walk in the back yard and cast a line my own pond. I built a house 4 years ago on 3 acres. Since then I been on the hunt to find some to dig a pond. I tried finding someone to trade my dirt for a pond, couldn't get anyone to go for it cause they didn't need any dirt at that time. I got a call from a friend about a month ago, a buddy of mine need a lot of the build a pad for an up coming convince store just a half mile from home. Now let the fun begin!!

My pond will be a lil over 1 acre. It will be between 10-12ft deep, my banks will be about a 3 to 1 slope all the way around. I have a plans on making structure with pvc, plastic barrels and a 47in plastic culvert. I'm also gonna try to put some standing timber in a few spots. I plan to bass, bream and flat head minnow, I'm on the fence about putting catfish. Once we get a lil closer to being complete I am putting a 3in submersible water well. A well will help out during the summer to maintain the water level.

Anyone with tips please share, I will only get 1 chance so I want to do it the best way possible. As soon as I figure how to upload pics I will ! Lol

C
C
Welcome to PB Hook. Lots of good knowledge to gain from the guy's here. Where are you in LA? I am in Pineville.

I had a 1 surface acre 18' deep pond built 2yrs ago. It is SO important that you find a Pond guy and not just an equipment operator. Any of us can rent a CAT and pull levers. I learned that the hard way after getting rid of my 1st lever puller. My 2nd dirt guy was passionate about what he did, covered all the steps from overflow, grade, & most important Compaction. Good idea with your Water Well, I had a 4" Well put on my place for added pond support and water supply for my home. I also was fortunate enough to install aeriation prior to my pond filling. 1 acre 10' deep is alot of dirt to move and eaisly under estimated at the start of the project.

Ask away with your questions, as I said earlier, so much knowledge shared here.
Good luck
Chad

H
Hook Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I'm in Lafayette. The guy constructing the pond has a very large business with many years of doing so. He also is a friend that I trust. I'm having problems loading pics (any help with Apple products) ?
Does anyone see any concerns with putting catfish in my pond ?

Last edited by Hook; 03/11/16 12:11 PM.
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Hook, I put blue cats in my pond about fifteen years ago and, even after a massive fish kill six years later, suspect that I still have at least one or two left. They must be huge now. Catfish get hook shy quickly and, soon enough, you'll probably have bullheads that find their way into your pond.

You might want to stay with the tried and true bluegill, redear and LMB combination.

Although my pond was around two feet low about seven years ago, you'll discover that down here your pond will stay within a few inches of full pool without supplemental water provided that you don't hit an unusual stratum that drains your pond. Likely, you'll have clay all the way down, but drilling test holes before digging would remove any doubts you might have.

Do your research on the ideal bottom contours, overflow, etc. (books are available on this site) and do it right at this perfect time.

M
mpc Offline
M
Hey Hook, It has been awhile since I have had the Smoked duck and andouille gumbo at Prejene's on 49,but will make it that way again this year sometime.

My novice 2 cents on the catfish is simply this: "DO NOT DO IT".

The reasons I can site are simple too:
!. they compete too much with the CNBG and eat the fish and fish feed ($40.00+ a sack) you are trying to grow. I have pulled 40 or so of the original stocking of 75. The rest in just a couple of years fishing have become hook shy and a few look to already be in the 7 to 10 lbs range and I cannot get them to bite. Just a headache. Can be fixed several way, but just a pain. I was told that right here on the PB site, but I was a bit stupid that I put them in anyway and paying the price.

My wife wanted CC and here I am. SO, since you are starting anew, a simple solution is just to dig a small secondary pond only, feed the cheap catfish feed (About $17.00 to $20.00) and catch CC when you want or just net a bunch for a big fish fry. When you get tired of messing with them you can then use the smaller pond to grow out minnows and or CNBG (smaller ones are much cheaper) to supplement your big pond. IMHO

CNBG, Shellcrackers(REDEAR) and bass can be grown and controlled better IMHO without CC. If your were wanting a Catfish pond that would be different, but you said Bass bream and fatheads minnows.

I would recommend aeration and feeding if you want a gang buster pond, although a natural pond is not bad either.

In your neck of the woods the growing season is almost all year due to the very mild winters.

So, I think it would be better if I were going to do it again, to have a 1/2 to 3/4 acre pond and another 1 or 2 smaller 1/4 acre, or so, for brood pond(s), grow out pond, and or catfish pond. You could even build them with a gate valve 3",4" or even better 6" to have blocked/open water flow between the different ponds, and just use nets to push the different smaller fish into the bigger pond as needed or wanted, through the pipes. MUCH MUCH cheaper than going and buying supplements when needed. Minnows are around $9 to $12/lbs as an example and the time to go get them bla,bla,bla.

I want big CNBG and REDEARS, but the catfish give me some challenge in that arena.

Good luck and the pro's will chime in here along with what Landry said, I think a picture will emerge. Let us know what you do.

For getting the pic's on the site is not that simple and sometimes some offer to post pic's for you. I do not post much because it is to much trouble IMO.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum. Make sure the whole pond bottom is compacted properly with a sheepsfoot roller to ensure that it won't leak, and make sure that the clay has enough water to compact it, but not too much to make it soupy.

Another thing to consider, is that if the pond is 3:1 all around, what area of the pond will the BG spawn?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
Hook Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: mpc
Hey Hook, It has been awhile since I have had the Smoked duck and andouille gumbo at Prejene's on 49,but will make it that way again this year sometime.

My novice 2 cents on the catfish is simply this: "DO NOT DO IT".

The reasons I can site are simple too:
!. they compete too much with the CNBG and eat the fish and fish feed ($40.00+ a sack) you are trying to grow. I have pulled 40 or so of the original stocking of 75. The rest in just a couple of years fishing have become hook shy and a few look to already be in the 7 to 10 lbs range and I cannot get them to bite. Just a headache. Can be fixed several way, but just a pain. I was told that right here on the PB site, but I was a bit stupid that I put them in anyway and paying the price.

My wife wanted CC and here I am. SO, since you are starting anew, a simple solution is just to dig a small secondary pond only, feed the cheap catfish feed (About $17.00 to $20.00) and catch CC when you want or just net a bunch for a big fish fry. When you get tired of messing with them you can then use the smaller pond to grow out minnows and or CNBG (smaller ones are much cheaper) to supplement your big pond. IMHO

CNBG, Shellcrackers(REDEAR) and bass can be grown and controlled better IMHO without CC. If your were wanting a Catfish pond that would be different, but you said Bass bream and fatheads minnows.

I would recommend aeration and feeding if you want a gang buster pond, although a natural pond is not bad either.

In your neck of the woods the growing season is almost all year due to the very mild winters.

So, I think it would be better if I were going to do it again, to have a 1/2 to 3/4 acre pond and another 1 or 2 smaller 1/4 acre, or so, for brood pond(s), grow out pond, and or catfish pond. You could even build them with a gate valve 3",4" or even better 6" to have blocked/open water flow between the different ponds, and just use nets to push the different smaller fish into the bigger pond as needed or wanted, through the pipes. MUCH MUCH cheaper than going and buying supplements when needed. Minnows are around $9 to $12/lbs as an example and the time to go get them bla,bla,bla.

I want big CNBG and REDEARS, but the catfish give me some challenge in that arena.

Good luck and the pro's will chime in here along with what Landry said, I think a picture will emerge. Let us know what you do.

For getting the pic's on the site is not that simple and sometimes some offer to post pic's for you. I do not post much because it is to much trouble IMO.

Thanks for the info !

H
Hook Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I had the state come test the clay to make sure it would hold.
There will be an area where I'm having them slope the bank where I'm putting a boat launch. I'm also gonna put rocks down the bank in a couple areas. they'll spawn in those areas.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
MPC, I applaud your very solid plan. I always tell folks building to make 2-3 small ones vs 1 pretty big one.
Make sure the quality pond is uphill of CC/forage pond(s). Aerate and have the well in the upper pond. Don't know what your family situation is but a small(15-20') 4-1 slope beach will be a nice asset to the pond and fish.
Get a small dingy or jon boat and ya can become Capt Hook. That way you can treat any faries who happen by very rudely.
Best of luck and do keep us updated. Keep logs/pics/videos for yourself in the future.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
H
Hook Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
MPC, I applaud your very solid plan. I always tell folks building to make 2-3 small ones vs 1 pretty big one.
Make sure the quality pond is uphill of CC/forage pond(s). Aerate and have the well in the upper pond. Don't know what your family situation is but a small(15-20') 4-1 slope beach will be a nice asset to the pond and fish.
Get a small dingy or jon boat and ya can become Capt Hook. That way you can treat any faries who happen by very rudely.
Best of luck and do keep us updated. Keep logs/pics/videos for yourself in the future.

Hook has 2 kayaks ready !

H
Hook Offline OP
OP Offline
H
As soon I figure how to put pics I will with updates.
I must say this, the best part is that it will cost me $0 for all pond construction!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails