Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,075
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 820 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
A part of my systems at the present time (I'm always changing) is a u-tube siphon made out of 2 inch PVC. The nice part about it is it runs on gravity displacement so it never needs to be plugged in or consumes power. (Thank you Steven VanGorder in his book Small Scale Aquaculture!)

Very simple with two elbows and a piece that is not glued that goes on and comes off to facilitate extending the length to push in suspended solids as far down in the barrel as possible from the fish tank. This allows for more net contact time for better filtration. When draining the clarifier tank and spraying solids off the netting, the extension is removed and the siphon is capped.

It looks like this:

And illustration from VanGorder's book.

The purpose of the siphon it to keep water flowing from the fish tank into the bottom of a barrel packed with garden fence nettting. (The clarifier tank) A small submersible pump sits on top of the netting in the barrel. This pump pulls water up through the netting trapping the suspended solids that come with the water. The pump then moves the cleaned water from the top of the clarifier to the moving bed filter. (Will be covered in part 5.)

Here you can see the siphon in position.

One side of the u is in the fish tank and the other side in the clarifier tank. To get the siphon going initially, you submerge the siphon in the fish tank making sure no air is left. Cap the end that is coming out of the water to place into the clarifier tank. Once in position remove the cap. The siphon will run flawlessly indefinitely as long as there is no air in the siphon and either end is not pulled out of the water without the end cap.

Note: Due to the minor varied tolerances of PVC, the end caps can be a pain to remove. An alternative is to install a cap that can be screwed on and off.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/28/16 04:18 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The pumps I like to use are small submersible pumps known as mag drive pumps (Magnet Drive) that are very simple and use a magnet to turn an impeller in a magnetized well. I like them because they are fairly cheap, last a long time, and are very efficient. If you don't add an optional item to created a centripetal flow (to be covered later) you can move all the water in a 250 gallon system on 60 watts.

You can get them Ebay, Amazon, or just about an pet supply website. There are several brands and they all seem to be just as good.

Here is what they look like:

They come sizes that range from about 200 gph to 2400 gph in this particular style of pump.

The size I prefer to use for my 250 gallon systems (tank 150 gallons, Clarifier barrel 50 gallons, and moving bed biofilter 50 gallons) is know as a model 7 which means it pumps 700 gph at zero head.

The cord is sealed into the unit. It's important not to move the pump via the cord as this will damage the seal!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/28/16 04:48 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The clarifier is simply a 55 gallon drum that houses the garden fence material which comes in a roll, is cut up into sections and stuffed into the barrel. As mentioned previously the pump sits on top of the barrel and via a vinyl hose pumps water to the moving bed biofilter. Water enters the barrel via siphon due to gravity displacement. That is, as water is removed from the clarifier barrel the siphon compensates by bringing in water from the fish tank to keep the levels the same.

Here is the fence material pulled up. It's cut in 6 to 8 foot sections from the roll and bunched up in the tank. For cleaning it's just a matter of pulling up a section at a time and spraying it off in the clarifier. Then placing it temporarily in a clean garbage can or barrel.

Here is a clarifier barrel with a drain on the bottom to drain off solids after the siphon is capped. The drain is installed the same way as the fish tank or one can use a bulkhead fitting. I cut out the mesh of the shower drain to allow quicker clean out.

Once the clarifier is drained and scoured out of all remaining solids, a valve that is located on the drain hose, is closed back up and the tank is refilled with clean water.

The drain hose showing the inline ball valve:

Then the cap on the siphon is removed and the extension added. Next step is to pack the tank back up with the cleaned off garden netting, and place the pump back on top after it was temporarily in handing in the fish tank.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/28/16 05:22 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Pssstttt..... You are missing a pic of the fence material in the previous post.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup

You counted them when you were last here? grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

laugh Nevermind, they showed up now. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

laugh Nevermind, they showed up now. wink

What happens when I put together a long thread with pics is I submit the thread before I have all the pics links inserted. That's because it takes me so long to hunt down the photos on my photobucket account (70 plus pages).

I've lost a thread before by waiting too long to submit.

I know there are ways to speed up the process but I'm not there yet. And I should invest in a new computer but have other prioriies.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/29/16 10:19 AM.

I'm a newbie to photobucket so struggling but getting there. FWIW I build my post in Word and then just copy and paste it to the forum when I FINALLY get it done.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I'm a newbie to photobucket so struggling but getting there. FWIW I build my post in Word and then just copy and paste it to the forum when I FINALLY get it done.

I no longer have WORD and I'm too cheap to pay for it! LOL

Originally Posted By: Bill D.

I no longer have WORD and I'm too cheap to pay for it! LOL

Cecil, have you tried Google's version? If you have a Gmail it's free.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
No but it's an option if I go to gmail.

Thanks for the info.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The clarifier above is a mechanical filter that acts as strainer that removes two types of solids: settleable and suspended. These are composed of fish waste, uneaten feed, and dead bacteria floc. The center drain covered earlier removes primarily settleable solids. The siphon that feeds into the clarifier barrel carries in the above waste to be trapped in the garden netting. With my DIY system you are removing both settleable and suspended solids just like the larger more expensive systems.

The clarifier above is one type of mechanical filter, but there are many ways to remove solids. It's important to remove solids because they uses oxygen as it decomposes and it can be a reservoir for pathogens. As it decomposes it produces hydrogen sulfide which is harmful to fish. The best filters and systems remove solids almost as soon as they are produced. A big no no in a tank or koi pond situation is to add stone to the bottom of the vessel. Uneaten feed and waste gets trapped in the crevices and is difficult to remove.

A way to remove settleable solids that will sink, if the water is still enough, is a settling tank and it's known as sedimentation. It's just a tank that the water flows into that has a lot of surface area vs. depth to slow the flow. Many settling tanks have baffles or tubes (tube settler) to slow the water down in various configurations. The disadvantage is the floor space they need to occupy vs. other types of filters.

Here's a sedimentation tank used in aquaculture:

[Linked Image from i11.photobucket.com]

There's also something calls a swirl filter. This is a DIY version:

An even better settling device than the swirl settler is a radial flow settler. Here's a DIY version of that:

Another way to remove solids is via a sieve filter. It's very common on koi ponds. A sieve filter has a special type of screening pattern that allows the water go through, but the solids over a certain micron size are stopped by the sieve screen and slide down to a drain. Normal screen can be used, but it will usually plug up on a regular basis. The sieve screen is usually, but not always bent in a parabolic bend to facilitate self cleaning and efficiency.

Here is a cut away of a commercially available sieve filter for koi ponds.

Here's a replacement screen for one I recently bought used at much reduced price, and will use to make my own DIY sieve filter. I can easily build something that retails for over a grand in price.

In high end koi ponds where the user can afford it, the sieve filter is followed by a rotating drum filter. These clean the water even further. Prices start at about $3000.00 dollars for a good one for a koi pond, and much bigger ones used in aquaculture can easily run ten times that.

There are lots of types of mechanical filters out there. Sand Filters, Bead filters, vortex filters, to mention a few more. But a good one removes the solids out of the water stream ASAP, and is separate from the biological filter. A biofilter that clogs with solids is not as effective as one where the solids are removed first, and in fact may cause problems for higher fish loads. The idea is to remove as many solids as you can before going to the biofilter which removes nitrogen wastes.

The following DIY sand and gravel filter is known as polishing filter. That is, once the water is filtered through it, it's pretty much gin clear. However if it's not preceded by a filter that removes coarser solids, it quickly plugs up and has to be constantly flushed. Same goes for trying to use a swimming pool filter for aquaculture. A sand filters preceded by a sieve filter works well.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?68132-Birdman-s-Sand-Gravel-Filter

Here is a chart showing micron size and types of filters that can handle those sizes.

Believe the clarifier tank covered earlier in the thread with the netting, approaches the efficiency of an expensive rotating drum filter according to Steven VanGorder, the author of Small Scale Aquacultrue, however, it's more labor intensive to clean it. The rotating drum filter takes care of itself even with automatic or timed cleaning of the screen via high pressure jets.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/04/23 08:02 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy