Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
F
I ordered grass shrimp from Carol last week, and I'm pretty happy about my order. I emailed her and shared some information about how shrimp are shipped in the aquarium hobby, via two day USPS, and she did an experiment to see how well the shrimp would fare. She told me that the experiment was a success so I went ahead and ordered 100 grass shrimp.

The shrimp arrived in two separate kordon breather bags and were insulated with newspaper.

In the box:

Out of the box. She shipped some duck weed with the shrimp so the shrimp have something to hold onto and won't just toss around.

The shrimp did very well. I kept 80 in a tub with an air stone, feeding them sparingly and they survived for 4 days until I could put them in my forage pond. Only 1 shrimp died in that 4 day period.

I put the other 20 shrimp (18 pregnant females and 2 males) in my aquarium for observation and just as a hedge just in case the first batch of shrimp didn't make it, but they all did.

Shrimp eating protein pellets:

You can really see this guy's organs. I thought it was a brain but upon closer inspection, it was beating rhythmically so I think it might be a heart.

Two days after putting the shrimp in, I had one female hatch her eggs. I currently have about 10 shrimp in larvae form floating around the top of my tank. Here's a blurry phone picture of one of them floating around with my Co2 bubbles:

All in all, I'm pretty happy about the order and Carol was a great help. Using two day shipping brought the price down per order a significant amount, but I'd check the temperatures in your locale because that might change how well the shrimp do in shipping. It was about 75/80 degrees when my shrimp were shipped to me. In the future, I might even order another 100 shrimp to really jump start my forage/YP pond. Hope this write up helps!

Last edited by FlatulentFox; 07/30/15 08:11 PM.

F
F
That is great news because I put a order in last week.

F
F
Received my 100 grass shrimp order from Carol at Fattig -
The water temp in the box was still in mid 70s with a cool pack.
I was real concerned because air temps here have been in higher 90S
for a week.
Only one DOA i could spot and we had a bonus hitch hiker . A 1/4 " Cray fish.
All released and hopefully doing their job in the chain.
Can't say enough how much a pleasure it was dealing with Carol.
Real old fashioned Old school service.

D
D
What price was it to ship 100 shrimp and how much per shrimp?? They look great in the pics!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I'll say it again, regardless of goals, grass shrimp are a winner and should be stocked in just about every pond. They are fantastic forage with no bad side affects...

My order should arrive next Wednesday. 400 (4 x 100 in 2 day shippers) for a one acre pond. I'll let you know how it goes.
I'll echo everyone else's comments, Carol has been great to work with.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Just a quick update on the grass shrimp.
Carol was going to ship Monday, but had to attend a funeral, so she shipped Tuesday. That's the good news. The bad news is, the shrimp are lost somewhere between Gothenburg, NE and St Louis Mo. Calls to the post office reveal that the two day delivery really means five days? I was told they can't trace it until five days, when it's considered late?? Well, I had been trying to work around St Louis since Tuesday, in case they came in. Tomorrow I have to be in Peoria at 7:00am. So if they show up, my wife is going to see if any are alive. If they are live, she's taking them the 90 miles to the pond and releasing them. I've given her the how to on acclimating them.
I'll update this after the shrimp arrive.
The pond has come up another foot, just a few more inches to full, so the shrimp will have grass to hide in, if any arrive alive. Edit. Carol has been very good to work with. It's not her fault the post office is screwing this up.

Last edited by SetterGuy; 07/09/15 07:33 PM.

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
F
F
Setter guy - thats a bummer.
Carol sent me the tracking number and I tracked it.
So if she sent the tracking number you should be able to also.
Sometimes the PO will just sluff ya off if they can. depends on the office . Ours is extremely helpful.
Our original tracking said it would take 3 days but it made it in two.
The new bags she is using absorb air so they might be OK if the heat doesn't get them.
Hope it goes well.

Carol sent me the tracking numbers right away. Following those, it looks like it sat there in Gothenburg for a full 24 hrs before they moved it. I kept checking the tracking, but they just sat.. Then I started calling. All they do is look at the same tracking screen I was looking at, and repeat it.
If these make it, that'll be great, and demonstrate how well the packaging supports the shrimp. We've had very cool (60s & 70s) weather here for the last few days, maybe they'll make it.

Otter attack in 2023
The Grass Shrimp came in. I'm in Peoria. My wife is stepping up. On the way to the post office to pick them up. Drive up to the farm, get them loaded into the Big Red, and transplant them in the pond. I told her to take a picture or two. I owe her now. Ha

Otter attack in 2023
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
If you have morts, Carol will make it right. They are good NE folk - stand behind their word without fail. Worst case, you can come get some in Lincoln this Fall.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
RER Offline
R
are they alive?

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
My wife put them in the pond yesterday. She said overall there were very few that didn't make it. That's a four day shipment. Taken to the post office in Nebraska on Tuesday afternoon, and put in the pond on Friday around noon. Carol was great to work with, she's offered to ship any replacements at no charge, but I think she put in some extras, so we are all good. I missed it all. My wife had to do everything, and she said once she added some pond water to the bags, and put her hand down into the bag, they got pretty lively. At one point she thought one entire bag had died out, but they came around. I haven't seen one yet. I was down on the bank just now. Even ran a net into the grass. There aren't any floating around, but I can't find any alive either. Probably down into the grass.
Turns out Carol's new "less expensive" way to ship the shrimp works pretty well!

Otter attack in 2023
Lunker
Lunker
You're on your way, now. This Fall, be thinking feed trained SMB - depending on goals, between 25-75/acre. Have you stocked RES yet? Are you considering HBG? If so, this Fall is a good time for the RES, maybe wait until next fall for the HBG so the SMB have a good head start on them. HSB and WE could be ladder stocked either this fall or next - you want a population of 35-50/acre again depending on goals. For HSB I'd do that 10-12 fish annually across 5-6 years depending on harvest and same for WE.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
You're on your way, now. This Fall, be thinking feed trained SMB - depending on goals, between 25-75/acre. Have you stocked RES yet? Are you considering HBG? If so, this Fall is a good time for the RES, maybe wait until next fall for the HBG so the SMB have a good head start on them. HSB and WE could be ladder stocked either this fall or next - you want a population of 35-50/acre again depending on goals. For HSB I'd do that 10-12 fish annually across 5-6 years depending on harvest and same for WE.

Thanks! I should have read this earlier! I just posted on these questions. SMB going in this fall. Others, next yr.

Otter attack in 2023
C
C
Setterguy, any sign of your grass shrimp. The interest in PK shrimp is still high on the forum. If enough of us who had the fortune of getting Carol F's shrimp could find a way to trap them we could send small batches to other PB members.

It only required a small bag of about 100 for my pond to establish. I imagine even though your pond is about 6X the size of mine that your 2 bags will be adquate as long as there was some natural cover for them to hide in.

TJ, you worked with Carol I think, how did she harvest them? I've read that they are gathered through the ice in winter? But how?

I'm happy to try to help other fellow PB members out.

Perhaps someone with a aquaponics indoor system could throw a handful in and find it easier to net them out when someone wants a few shipped to them?

Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
TJ, you worked with Carol I think, how did she harvest them? I've read that they are gathered through the ice in winter? But how?

From previous posts in this thread, it sounds like she seined them in the early summer.

I would love to get some this summer. If I ever get a population started you can count me in on a "share a shrimp" program. smile

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
C
C
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek

From previous posts in this thread, it sounds like she seined them in the early summer.

I would love to get some this summer. If I ever get a population started you can count me in on a "share a shrimp" program. smile

SetterGuy, any sign of your shrimp? Maybe those who have populations of PK shrimp can do as Bill D suggests and try to determine the best way to seine or gather small populations and 'share a shrimp'

It seemed that Carol got them through the ice somehow.

TJ would know...

C
C
BUMP

Bill, are grass shrimp easier to harvest by breaking ice and netting out of shallows in the winter?

Many still are trying to find a way to get a 'share a shrimp' program going for these desirable PK shrimp

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump