Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
esshup #434320 01/12/16 08:07 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
I'd give some thought to stocking feed trained YP and getting a good feeding program going. My concern with BG is them getting ahead of the predators if you are wanting to keep it a more SMB/WE pond vs a LMB pond.

If that's not the case, then stock the female BG.

I think you are even lighter on forage fish than you think in your YOY poundage requirements. Remember, the fish have to be of the optimal size to minimize caloric exchange. (expend as much energy as that mouthful of food provides)

Thanks for the input. The only fish I really feed pellets to are the CC as they are put and take although I admit I am interested in supplemental feeding the other species if Optima comes out with a muti-size pellet.

What do you guys think of this idea...

Stock GSH and/or BNM along with the craws (PSC)? Take some of the pressure off the SF spawn so I can get a little recruitment from them and provide extra forage for the predators at the same time. I would still try to get scuds and/or grass shrimp going as well.

Stocking GSH is easy but BNM are not available for sale here, as far as I know, so it will require me buying breed stock and raising some stockers on my own.

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/12/16 08:08 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
TGW1 #434322 01/12/16 08:26 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bill D. From my casual reading of the latter part of this thread, it appears to me your pond fish growth problem is mainly due to an improper initial fish stocking primarily in terms of balanced numbers, thus a food shortage occurred in 2015. Maybe I am missing some information for your pond history? Too few fish stocked can at times result in poor or not enough recruitment to feed the predators. Thus you are now "scrambling" to boost the forage fish base?. If this is the case, for other new members reading this, this is why we first suggest to first build a very strong diverse forage fish community before stocking most of the predators.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/12/16 08:30 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Bill D. From my casual reading of the latter part of this thread, it appears to me your pond fish growth problem is mainly due to an improper initial fish stocking primarily in terms of balanced numbers, thus a food shortage occurred in 2015. Maybe I am missing some information for your pond history? Too few fish stocked can at times result in poor or not enough recruitment to feed the predators. Thus you are now "scrambling" to boost the forage fish base?. If this is the case, for other new members reading this, this is why we first suggest to first build a very strong diverse forage fish community before stocking most of the predators.

You might very well be correct. A quick history. Pond was originally built fall of 2013. Pond was roughly 1/4 acre at the time. Now about 1/2 acre do to renovation in 2015 which probably disrupted BG spawning. Roughly, here is how it was initially stocked. In April 2014 FHM were stocked. By midsummer there were lots of FHM swimming around and 50 adult 5 to 6 inch BG and 25 BG 2 to 3 inch were stocked. They spawned maybe late August. In September or so, 8 SMB and 1 LMB, all around 8 inches, were stocked. In November 50 YP at 5 to 7 inches were stocked along with 100 PS 2 to 3 inch.

All thoughts are appreciated so others can learn and don't repeat my mistakes.(kinda late for me! smile )

Edit: Was looking at my notes, I also stocked an additional 10 lbs of FHM fall of 2014.

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/12/16 09:18 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Bill D. #434342 01/12/16 11:53 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Thanks for the input. The only fish I really feed pellets to are the CC as they are put and take although I admit I am interested in supplemental feeding the other species if Optima comes out with a muti-size pellet.

You mean like this?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Bill D. #434361 01/13/16 09:29 AM
B
B
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
You might very well be correct. A quick history. Pond was originally built fall of 2013. Pond was roughly 1/4 acre at the time. Now about 1/2 acre do to renovation in 2015 which probably disrupted BG spawning. Roughly, here is how it was initially stocked. In April 2014 FHM were stocked. By midsummer there were lots of FHM swimming around and 50 adult 5 to 6 inch BG and 25 BG 2 to 3 inch were stocked. They spawned maybe late August. In September or so, 8 SMB and 1 LMB, all around 8 inches, were stocked. In November 50 YP at 5 to 7 inches were stocked along with 100 PS 2 to 3 inch.

Edit: Was looking at my notes, I also stocked an additional 10 lbs of FHM fall of 2014.

Bill D. -

I'm no expert in fish or pond management so remember that as you read on. smile

It definitely seems that your forage base was way under recommended numbers for predatory fish. The 9 bass around 8 inches would have devoured FHMs and BG fry quickly. So it then was a game of how fast could the BG reproduce? And is there structure/cover to let those fry grow to small and then medium edible size for the bass?

It seems like you are missing or may be missing forage fish of correct size for the bass to grow - because you had adults, 2-3 inchers, and then the fry. The 2-3 inchers were fair game for the 8" LMB. That bass would have dined on those 25 fish easily. Provided they were found by the LMB of course.

TGW1 #434381 01/13/16 12:43 PM
Interesting discussion and I appreciate everyone's input. I find it interesting that the predominately YP and SMB predator base with 1 LMB controlled the BG population. When this stocking plan and rate were discussed a year or so ago on the forum, most folks thought the YP and SMB could not control the 75 BG and cautioned me that I would need to help by seining/trapping to keep them under control. Perhaps that will happen next summer now that pond renovations will no longer be disrupting spawning activity and creating turbid conditions. One other wild card was thrown into the mix late last summer when a well intentioned neighbor added a couple more 8 to 10 inch LMB.

At any rate, the PSC will be stocked when they become available in June. The habitat of rip rap and broken concrete are in place. Any thoughts on how many I should stock? I am currently thinking of stocking 400.

[Linked Image]
TGW1 #434405 01/13/16 08:31 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
With 3 LMB you no doubt now have a male and female LMB. This fishery will be very interesting to watch its progress as it ages. I am very interested in population of YP & SMB in 3 - 4 years - 2020.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/13/16 08:31 PM.

With 3 LMB you no doubt now have a male and female LMB. This fishery will be very interesting to watch its progress as it ages. I am very interested in population of YP & SMB in 3 - 4 years - 2020.

Bill C.,

I was hoping to get the LMB out early spring. The original plan was to only have one and remove it when it reached 14 inches but the deed is done. If you, or others, think there is valuable knowledge to be gained, I will leave them in and see what happens.

The pond is small. If it turns into a real mess, starting over doesn't cost near as much as it would with a bigger pond and I am all for moving the pond science forward.

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/13/16 09:55 PM. Reason: After thought

[Linked Image]
TGW1 #434417 01/14/16 06:46 AM
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
With 3 fish, there is a 25% chance that they are all one gender if they are a random sample from a population that has a 1:1 gender ratio.

RAH #434418 01/14/16 07:40 AM
S
S
That is only if you want them to be all one gender. It is little known in statistical analysis, but Murphy's law changes the outcome potential to 90% for the undesired outcome. grin

Last edited by snrub; 01/14/16 07:41 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
TGW1 #434420 01/14/16 08:25 AM
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Bill, as far as the numbers of crawfish to stock, I am not sure but if I had a smb and yp pond, I would want to stock the craws prior to their spawning. my thinking is yoy crawfish or small craws would feed the smb and yp. so, would the psc you order be to large to feed the yp and smb?

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
snrub #434422 01/14/16 08:42 AM
Originally Posted By: snrub
That is only if you want them to be all one gender. It is little known in statistical analysis, but Murphy's law changes the outcome potential to 90% for the undesired outcome. grin

For me that is 99%! frown

[Linked Image]
TGW1 #434423 01/14/16 08:47 AM
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Bill, as far as the numbers of crawfish to stock, I am not sure but if I had a smb and yp pond, I would want to stock the craws prior to their spawning. my thinking is yoy crawfish or small craws would feed the smb and yp. so, would the psc you order be to large to feed the yp and smb?

Tracy

Tracy,

From the Missouri Dept of Conservation

Size: Adult length: about 1¾ to 3½ inches.

Papershell Crayfish Life Cycle

"This species excavates burrows as deep as the water table as the habitat dries or winter approaches. Mating can occur at almost any time of year but apparently peaks in late summer or early fall. Eggs hatch in spring. The young remain with the female for a week or more, until they complete two molts, usually dispersing by June. The young molt frequently, and some mate their first year. Most males die after the mating season, and most females die after producing their first brood. "

Based on this, if I stock in June, they will either be females, with berry or young attached, smile but more likely, last years spawn so they will not have young until 2017.

Assuming scenario two is most likely to occur, if I stock the craws in June, some will have to survive predation a full year before I will see little ones. Another option would be to wait and stock late August or early September. Thoughts?

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/14/16 09:21 AM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
TGW1 #434430 01/14/16 10:14 AM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Expect the panfish to prey heavily on the newly hatched crayfish. Abundant shallow cover is imperative for YOY crayfish survival. If you don't see evidence of crayfish spawn in mid summer you obviously did not stock enough or habitat for them was inadequate. If you want a crayfish spawn this year you will have to get them Mar-April. In my experience most papershells are done carrying eggs in NW Ohio by sometime in early to mid-May. Locations further south will have an earlier spawn cycle. I would buy more crayfish than you need. The current bass and larger YP will 'target' your stocker crayfish.

Expect the panfish to prey heavily on the newly hatched crayfish. Abundant shallow cover is imperative for YOY crayfish survival. If you don't see evidence of crayfish spawn in mid summer you obviously did not stock enough or habitat for them was inadequate. If you want a crayfish spawn this year you will have to get them Mar-April. In my experience most papershells are done carrying eggs in NW Ohio by sometime in early to mid-May. Locations further south will have an earlier spawn cycle. I would buy more crayfish than you need. The current bass and larger YP will 'target' your stocker crayfish.

Unfortunately, the only place I have found to buy PSC is Smith Creek and they don't start shipping until June. They stop shipping late September. Sounds like my best chance of establishing a population would be to stock heavy in September. I would think the Sept. stockers will be primarily 2016 YOY and mature females with berry. Agree?

[Linked Image]
TGW1 #434437 01/14/16 11:15 AM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

Last edited by ewest; 01/14/16 11:16 AM.

ewest #434440 01/14/16 11:52 AM
W
W
Originally Posted By: ewest

Interesting read. Any thoughts on how a crawfish compares to fat head minnows as far as surviving in low oxygen environments?

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
TGW1 #434451 01/14/16 01:57 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Keep in mind that the papershell crayfish is not a Procambarid crayfish, although the papershell crayfish (Orconectes or Orconectid crayfish) and Procambarid crayfishes do have numerous similar habits.

Smith Creek no doubt doesn't ship crayfish until June because they want breeders to produce a large crop of young for the new season before breeders are sold. Those purchased in June will be primarily adults and many of those in the fall will mostly be Young Of Year crayfish. I doubt that you will see any papershell females in 'berry' of those received in September -October.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/14/16 01:58 PM.

...Smith Creek no doubt doesn't ship crayfish until June because they want breeders to produce a large crop of young for the new season before breeders are sold. Those purchased in June will be primarily adults and many of those in the fall will mostly be Young Of Year crayfish. I doubt that you will see any papershell females in 'berry' of those received in September -October.

Thanks for your patience Bill! smile

Here is my confusion. The Missouri Dept of Conservation except from above stated, "Most males die after the mating season, and most females die after producing their first brood." Considering a June 2016 stocking...So if the male breeders died in the late summer of 2015 and the female breeders died in the spring after they raised the brood, how can the crawfish being provided for June stocking be mature breeders? Are you saying, they will be mature females getting ready to die?

When would you stock them if you were in my shoes given the time slot of June thru September? How many for about a .4 acre pond? I won't hold you to your answers but I sure could use your thoughts! smile

[Linked Image]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Originally Posted By: wbuffetjr

Interesting read. Any thoughts on how a crawfish compares to fat head minnows as far as surviving in low oxygen environments?

FH have good low O2 tolerance. Craws have better low O2 tolerance.

Procambarid crawfish
are generally tolerant of low oxygen
levels, but persistent exposure to
extremely low oxygen concentrations
can reduce production. Juveniles are
most susceptible to chronically low
levels. When dissolved oxygen
remains consistently below 1 ppm
throughout the day for several
weeks, crawfish become sufficiently
stressed that they may stop feeding.
Levels consistently below 0.5 ppm
may affect molting and reduce crawfish
survival. Other important water
quality variables are pH, total hardness,
total alkalinity, iron, hydrogen
sulfide content, ammonia, nitrite and
salinity (salt content). Desirable values
are between 6.5 and 8.5 for pH,
more than 50 ppm as CaCO3 for
total hardness, more than 50 ppm as
CaCO3 for total alkalinity, less than
0.1 ppm for ferrous iron, less than
0.002 ppm for hydrogen sulfide, less
than 0.06 ppm for un-ionized ammonia,
less than 0.6 ppm for nitrite, and
less than 6 ppt for salinity.

Fatheads In OH lab study, females exposed to dissolved oxygen of 2.0 mg/l for 11 months produced fewer eggs, those exposed to dissolved oxygen 1.0 mg/l for 11 months did not spawn . In MO study, mean critical dissolved oxygen .73 mg/l . Tolerates low dissolved oxygen. An OH lab study found fry survival reduced at dissolved oxygen less than 4.0 mg/l, and growth reduced significantly at dissolved oxygen less than 7.0 mg/l . In an OH lab study, incubation was significantly increased at successively lower dissolved oxygen concentration .

Last edited by ewest; 01/14/16 05:07 PM.

TGW1 #434474 01/14/16 09:38 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
BillD. I don't believe the statement of ""Most males die after the mating season, and most females die after producing their first brood."". Don't fully believe everything you read. In reality, it probably depends. I know some of my papershell crayfish are 3 yrs old. I more likely believe a longer life span than two years as info in this next link especially if predators are few to none and habitat including food source is good:
http://crayfishblue.weebly.com/life-cycle.html
says: A crayfish reaches adult size in 3-4 months & its life span is 3-8 years long.

Lifespan: about 2-3 years, but varies with species. Some live longer.
http://www.anapsid.org/crayfish.html

Orconectes sanborni Growth and life span - 37 months. from OSU study:
https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/1811/22357/V076N2_073.pdf;jsessionid=8381253119CC757A5005AAD57BBD4008?sequence=1

Papershell crayfish are similar to rusty crayfish which have a typical life span of 3-4 yrs.
http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/RUSTY_CRAYFISH.pdf

I would stock them whenever you can get them. If predators will be present then stock more the longer they have to be in the pond before they "spawn". Every day they live they have a chance of being eaten by a bass. How many for a 0.4 acre pond? Good question. For me it would depend on how many predators were present and how much habitat was present. For starters, if you want to be sure you have some survive to lay eggs, I would assume that each predator would eat 1 crayfish per day forever how many days before the crayfish laid eggs. I caught a 9" YP one time with 2 two adult crayfish in its stomach.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/14/16 09:58 PM.

ewest #434477 01/14/16 10:01 PM
W
W
Originally Posted By: ewest
Originally Posted By: wbuffetjr

FH have good low O2 tolerance. Craws have better low O2 tolerance.

Procambarid crawfish
are generally tolerant of low oxygen
levels, but persistent exposure to
extremely low oxygen concentrations
can reduce production. Juveniles are
most susceptible to chronically low
levels. When dissolved oxygen
remains consistently below 1 ppm
throughout the day for several
weeks, crawfish become sufficiently
stressed that they may stop feeding.
Levels consistently below 0.5 ppm
may affect molting and reduce crawfish
survival. Other important water
quality variables are pH, total hardness,
total alkalinity, iron, hydrogen
sulfide content, ammonia, nitrite and
salinity (salt content). Desirable values
are between 6.5 and 8.5 for pH,
more than 50 ppm as CaCO3 for
total hardness, more than 50 ppm as
CaCO3 for total alkalinity, less than
0.1 ppm for ferrous iron, less than
0.002 ppm for hydrogen sulfide, less
than 0.06 ppm for un-ionized ammonia,
less than 0.6 ppm for nitrite, and
less than 6 ppt for salinity.

Fatheads In OH lab study, females exposed to dissolved oxygen of 2.0 mg/l for 11 months produced fewer eggs, those exposed to dissolved oxygen 1.0 mg/l for 11 months did not spawn . In MO study, mean critical dissolved oxygen .73 mg/l . Tolerates low dissolved oxygen. An OH lab study found fry survival reduced at dissolved oxygen less than 4.0 mg/l, and growth reduced significantly at dissolved oxygen less than 7.0 mg/l . In an OH lab study, incubation was significantly increased at successively lower dissolved oxygen concentration .

Wow! Thanks so much!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
BillD. I don't believe the statement of ""Most males die after the mating season, and most females die after producing their first brood."". Don't fully believe everything you read. In reality, it probably depends. I know some of my papershell crayfish are 3 yrs old. I more likely believe a longer life span than two years as info in this next link especially if predators are few to none and habitat including food source is good:
http://crayfishblue.weebly.com/life-cycle.html
says: A crayfish reaches adult size in 3-4 months & its life span is 3-8 years long.

Lifespan: about 2-3 years, but varies with species. Some live longer.
http://www.anapsid.org/crayfish.html

Orconectes sanborni Growth and life span - 37 months. from OSU study:
https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/1811/22357/V076N2_073.pdf;jsessionid=8381253119CC757A5005AAD57BBD4008?sequence=1

Papershell crayfish are similar to rusty crayfish which have a typical life span of 3-4 yrs.
http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/RUSTY_CRAYFISH.pdf

I would stock them whenever you can get them. If predators will be present then stock more the longer they have to be in the pond before they "spawn". Every day they live they have a chance of being eaten by a bass. How many for a 0.4 acre pond? Good question. For me it would depend on how many predators were present and how much habitat was present. For starters, if you want to be sure you have some survive to lay eggs, I would assume that each predator would eat 1 crayfish per day forever how many days before the crayfish laid eggs. I caught a 9" YP one time with 2 two adult crayfish in its stomach.

Thanks Bill!

I have broken concrete piles, a boulder pile and lots of rip rap on the shoreline (if the water level is not too low) for habitat. I have some 2 inch PVC so I will cut some short sections of it and add a couple areas with that for refuge before I stock the PSC (Orconectes immunis). Only other thing I can think of doing is to stock 5 pounds of FHM right before I stock the PSC to distract the predators some and maybe reduce PSC stocking predation losses by giving them time to scurry to find refuge.

[Linked Image]
TGW1 #434502 01/15/16 10:52 AM
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
ewest, thank you for posting the information on the Red Swamp and white river craws. I believe both species are common to my area of E. Texas where I border Louisiana. I followed these crawfish from 1/4" size originally stocked in my pond to the larger Red, orange colored ones that have matured in the pond. I have seen schools of small 1" crawfish scoot as I walked into view. I watched them denude one shoreline of all plants, and have found some with only one claw, I think the other clay was lost in battle with fish or other crawfish. it's been interesting watching what all goes on with them in the pond. And I am happy they make shallow vertical burrows. The only downside I have seen is where the coons will dig them up, not sure how successful the coons are in getting a meal.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
TGW1 #434505 01/15/16 10:56 AM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The main problem for crayfish survival occurs when the crayfish leave their secure hiding places to forage in the 'open' for food. Then they become very vulnerable to predation. Crayfish do not swim nearly as fast nor are they as agile as fish which makes them a fairly easy catch. Some crayfish species are more aggressive and defensive against predators than other crayfish species.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/15/16 10:58 AM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction