Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (catscratch, Pat Williamson, gehajake), 1,370 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#432549 12/24/15 10:10 AM
OP Offline
I have been in the throes of damage control here lately. I discovered I have a river otter that moved in and has taken up residence in my pond. I am not sure of how much damage it's done so far, but I know because of their fish eating nature, it can't be good. I picked up a couple leghold traps, placed them strategically, and baited the area with a medium sized BG. All I managed to catch so far is a couple of toes (see below). I have re-set and re-baited the area with pellets. Perhaps, I need to procure some bodygrip (Conibear) traps. If anyone here has experience with this varmint, please feel free to give your experience in this matter. If it wasn't so elusive, I'd pop him with my .22 rifle.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
D
D
If it is an otter he should not be to hard to snipe. Early morning or evening you should be able to see him. They do need to breath but can really hold their breath if they need to. I remember up north catching a marten and it took three hours to drown.

Place some carrots in your leg holes if you see some fresh grass clippings floating in the pond. Maybe they are muskrats.

We just doinked three. They were making short work of the lily's. If you want to skin the otter or rats out shoot under their head in the water. It my take two or three shots but they will get knocked out and drown. No holes in the pelt at all.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
T
T
I have recently noticed a large amount of clippings from spike rush floating along the shoreline of my pond but I assumed that the gaggles of Canadian geese were to blame.Are muskrats the only pond dwellers that leave behind clippings?When are muskrats most active?

Lunker
Lunker
Don - Southeast Texas is currently experiencing temps of 70-80°F. Unfortunately, animal pelts from our area just don't measure up to their northern cousins. Also, retaining the pelt of a fur-bearing animal for any reason requires a trapping license; whereas the removal of nuisance animals doesn't.

Stickem - Conibear traps are the way to go for both otter and beaver. Leg-hold traps will work when using drowning cables, but otherwise have several drawbacks when targeting aquatic mammals.
I caught 8 otters in one pond over the course of one month last December (5 in one evening) while also targeting beavers that were burrowing into the levee. The otters' presence was noted by numerous partially eaten bass and catfish carcasses. Seems their preferred diet changes from crawfish during the more temperate time of the season to fish in the winter. The bucks appear to roam solo, while the females and juveniles move from pond to pond in groups.
The most successful sets were Conibears placed (submerged) at beaver-den entrances; which otters regularly investigate. Placing a submerged Conibear at entry/exit points works well too, especially when the pathway is "channeled" and the trap is placed directly beneath a partially submerged log - which confines the animal's route through the trap.
Be sure to condition (boil) the traps and allow them to take on a light coat of rust before use, since this seems to help eliminate some aversion to the trap's presence.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good work Kelly!

Fur prices are way down this year, and it's not even worth (to me anyways) targeting the animals just for their fur.

Kelly, get some speed black for the traps. Once they have a light coating of rust, dip 'em. You can also wax them, but you will have to remove ALL wax residue from the dog and the trigger or else it will go off when you least expect it to.

Same with the foot hold traps. Dip and wax, remove wax from trigger and dog.

To help eliminate toe catches, tune the traps. Have the pans sitting horizontal, and make sure that there isn't a lot of creep in the pan before it triggers the trap. Also for water sets, you have to set it up so that once the animal is trapped, it drowns quickly. Place the trap so the animal comes into the trap from between the jaws, not over one jaw.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
trapping otters in open water is tough. i fought then yearly at my old pond. I had good luck catching them on beaver dam crossings in the stream below the pond. I caught near the pond where he was pooping and another where he was sliding beside the pipe leaving the pond. i never had any luck with leg hold traps setting them along the shore. I feel your pain with these things. I would have grown a world record bluegill at the old pond if the otters hadn't wipe them out every year. seriously they made it hard for me to stay with my bg management plan.

Scott Hanners
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
I hate to see otters killed as they are incredibly cool animals, but there's probably no greater threat to a fishery, either. A guy just doesn't have a choice, really - doubt a live trap would work for something as smart as a river otter - and even if you did get one alive, where would one take it?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
D
Yes the three rats we took out of the pond were just prime. Still some black but in good shape. Our Canadian rule of thumb is any month with an R is good for rats.

Last we checked they were only bringing $8 bucks. A warm year like this and numbers will go back up. Rabies is making a big come back in the racoon here. Over populating. I know of three good trees I could get 20 right now but not worth the time unless the boys want to learn.

Cheers Don.

OP Offline
To all who posted....a big thank you, for your input. I'll ease up to the farm tomorrow and survey the situation. It looks like I'll try the Conibear traps if I have no result with the leg hold traps. I really don't have a desire to kill the otter, but I have no problem doing it...I don't see much of a choice as I don't think he'll ever walk into a HavaHart type (live) trap. I've been nurturing these fish along for the last 1 1/2 years. It's hard for me to sit back and watch them destroyed. Thanks again, for everyone's experience...I'll keep you'll posted...

Last edited by stickem'; 12/24/15 09:10 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've never heard of live traps being used for otter. There are specialized live traps made for live trapping beaver, but unless you are trapping beaver for relocation I just don't see those live traps as being economically feasible.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
D
Watching nat geo the other day and watched three otters running through the snow. Turned to my boy and said that's what $2000 running through the snow looks like.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Watching nat geo the other day and watched three otters running through the snow. Turned to my boy and said that's what $2000 running through the snow looks like.

In fur prices or in fish prices??

What's Otter bringing up there? They had the first otter trapping season here in Indiana this year since re-introducing them a while ago.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
D
Originally Posted By: esshup

In fur prices or in fish prices??

What's Otter bringing up there? They had the first otter trapping season here in Indiana this year since re-introducing them a while ago.

Here is the sad list in US dollars from Jan 2015.

Attached Images
2015 jan fur pricing..JPG

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yikes!! It's worse than I thought. The only semi-bright spot is Coyote. Not even having a price at all on Raccoon is a good indicator of how bad the market is overseas.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have heard but can't verify that the Russians are the biggest fur buyers. They haven't been buying the last couple of years. It might have something to do with international politics.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
OP Offline
I don't know what trappers are getting for the pelts, but I was surfing the web and saw that Otter meat sells for $40-$50/lb. The article indicated that it is a dark meat that cooks up like pork. I make a variety of blends of sausage as a hobby. I've never eaten Otter, but might try it with 50/50 pork butt in sausage if I could secure a fresh kill. I saw an otter / pork sausage blend online selling for $25/lb. Truly incredible. I'm originally from Louisiana and grew up eating what we hunted. I won't go as far to say that we ate exotic gourmet dishes....we just ate some animals (or parts thereof) that some would not even consider.

Since my last posting, I have ordered the Conibear (body grip) traps. They should be in in the next couple of days. I need to get this nuisance eradicated.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: stickem'
Since my last posting, I have ordered the Conibear (body grip) traps. They should be in in the next couple of days. I need to get this nuisance eradicated.

Did you also order the setting tool? It can be done with rope, but I've always used the setting tool.

Dave:

I heard that there was an embargo placed on selling furs to Russia by our illustrious president, that's the other reason for the drop in raccoon sales, in addition to their economy taking a hit.

China is now a big fur buyer, but they haven't embraced Raccoon like Russia does. But, their economy has taken a hit too, so it's a double whammy for the fur industry.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Don,

Does Canada have a restriction on sale of furs to Russia?

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/28/15 02:32 PM. Reason: Typo

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: stickem'

Did you also order the setting tool? It can be done with rope, but I've always used the setting tool.

Dave:

I heard that there was an embargo placed on selling furs to Russia by our illustrious president, that's the other reason for the drop in raccoon sales, in addition to their economy taking a hit.

China is now a big fur buyer, but they haven't embraced Raccoon like Russia does. But, their economy has taken a hit too, so it's a double whammy for the fur industry.

esshup,
Yes, I did order the setting tool along with the traps. I viewed the setting procedure several times on YouTube and figured it was a necessity. It looked like it could be done without one, but I decided to just go that route.

Lunker
Lunker
"esshup, Yes, I did order the setting tool along with the traps.
I viewed the setting procedure several times on YouTube and figured it was a necessity.
It looked like it could be done without one, but I decided to just go that route.
"

Great suggestion - and decision (to order the setting-tool).
When it arrives, locate some thin-wall pipe that is suitably sized to slip over the tool's handles - for use as a cheater.
I found this to be a critical modification for setting the 330's strong springs.
The 18" handle-extensions shown in this photo worked well for me.

I happened to have some spare curtain rod that was perfect for the task. After partially flattening the ends of the rods, I was able to slip them over the tool's handles and finish flattening them to where the were very snug - and virtually flush with the flat surface of the original handles.
Using galvanized pipe probably isn't ideal since its thickness might interfere with the tool's scissor-action. Be sure to use some sort of thin-wall pipe that is stout enough to handle heavy torque without bending. Galvanized conduit might work okay.
Lastly, mark the handles with blaze-orange paint (not shown in the photo) to make them easier to locate when you lay them on the ground. I recently "misplaced" my setting-tool and spent an hour of backtracking my route before I was able to located the tool's whereabouts on the pond-levee.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Kelly Duffie
"esshup, Yes, I did order the setting tool along with the traps.
I viewed the setting procedure several times on YouTube and figured it was a necessity.
It looked like it could be done without one, but I decided to just go that route.
"

Great suggestion - and decision (to order the setting-tool).
When it arrives, locate some thin-wall pipe that is suitably sized to slip over the tool's handles - for use as a cheater.
I found this to be a critical modification for setting the 330's strong springs.
The 18" handle-extensions shown in this photo worked well for me.

I happened to have some spare curtain rod that was perfect for the task. After partially flattening the ends of the rods, I was able to slip them over the tool's handles and finish flattening them to where the were very snug - and virtually flush with the flat surface of the original handles.
Using galvanized pipe probably isn't ideal since its thickness might interfere with the tool's scissor-action. Be sure to use some sort of thin-wall pipe that is stout enough to handle heavy torque without bending. Galvanized conduit might work okay.
Lastly, mark the handles with blaze-orange paint (not shown in the photo) to make them easier to locate when you lay them on the ground. I recently "misplaced" my setting-tool and spent an hour of backtracking my route before I was able to located the tool's whereabouts on the pond-levee.

Thanks, Kelly...the 330's are the size I ordered. They appear to be pretty stout. I can see where the setting tool extensions will help with leverage. I do have some small galvanized conduit that I think may work.  I know what you mean about painting the handles. That's why I won't own a camouflage painted shotgun. About 10 years ago I set my Rem 1100 down on a levee to set out goose decoys. Took me until well after daybreak to find the darn thing.

OP Offline

Dave:

China is now a big fur buyer, but they haven't embraced Raccoon like Russia does.

Dave,
I worked in the western Siberian oilfields near the Arctic circle back in 93 - 94'. It was nothing to see Russian locals walking around in full length German Shepherd coats....and a lot of the locals gloves were lined with cat fur....true story. You didn't see any animals running around loose either.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Mystery solved. The anti fur crowd got an embargo put on fur sales to Russia and China.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
D
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Don,

If you check North Bay pricing for Canadian fur there is a racoon sale and sales. A high of $30 and low of $7. Canada still sells to Russia.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Don,

If you check North Bay pricing for Canadian fur there is a racoon sale and sales. A high of $30 and low of $7. Canada still sells to Russia.

It's odd that otter pelts are being sold anywhere from $89 - $189 on several sites on the web. Must be a hell of a mark up after tanning is completed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gehajake - 04/28/24 01:38 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM