Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#431790 12/16/15 10:58 AM
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Bald Eagles are in N. E. Texas and N. Louisiana and I have seen a few here in the last 15 yr's or so. Most of my sightings have been in Alaska. But yesterday, a large Male Bald Eagle was flying over and circling the pond. The best I could tell he had around 40" wingspan. The sighting was a bright spot in my day. As a side note, the pond is surrounded by approximately 5 acres of wildlife food of Elbon Rye, Winter Oats and Winter wheat along with different white and Crimson clovers. The sighting of the Eagle, reinforced my feeling of doing something for the wildlife. Make my Christmas Holiday a little better.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
S
S
They pass over us I would guess every year. Most sightings are of them very high in the air doing circles round and round as they migrate.

But occasionally one will land. Got a reasonably close picture (maybe couple hundred feet away in a wheat field) of one a couple years ago.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
He was low enough to get a good picture, tree top level. But I was to busy watching him and my mind to slow to think of getting a pic.

Tracy

Tracy
Tracy,

I have had a few at our pond as well. It was great to get a few pics of them last year!!

BTW, You do realize they are not interested in rye, wheat, or your clover, right? smile They have talons for a reason!!!! smile Those grains are just too hard to pick up with talons...

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Bryan, you r so right, they won't eat that stuff but the bunny's are abundant in the fields, along with the other wildlife along with all kinds of fish and a few water turkeys I wish they would take out. I have no attachment to all the Cormorants that seam to be feasting on the slow moving Tilapia, hope that is all they are eating. Trying to keep them off the pond is getting to be a daily affair.

Tracy

Tracy
We get a couple resident eagles every winter. They're awesome to watch, though to be honest I've only ever seen them eat carrion around our place.

Tracy,

Here is the permit process when necessary.

It works for us when harassment fails.

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
P
P
They're pretty common here in Illinois too. They seem to prefer nesting along the rivers, probably because of the food sources associated with water. My BIL in Tennessee called a couple days ago to tell me he and his wife were watching TV and heard a loud bang in the back of the house that startled them. They had the back door open but the storm door shut so their 2 Shitzus could look out. A big red tail hawk decided one of the dogs would be a good dinner but failed to see the glass door and was laying there dead.

T
T
Congrats on the sighting.....!!!

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: TGW1
He was low enough to get a good picture, tree top level. But I was to busy watching him and my mind to slow to think of getting a pic.

Tracy

Interesting pattern developing here: First it's a swamp ape you forgot to document, now it's the mysterious Bald Eagle - again, conveniently forgot to photograph. I predict a pond plesiosaur sighting next week! wink

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Tj, here in the south we experience a lot of good weather and we are able to get out and experience ,many of life greatest mysteries. smile We might have a snow day, and it will require you have to travel in 4Dr to get around all the idiots that have been not been removed through Natural Selection. Along with the nice weather, the Good Lord gave me "Ants in the Pants", so I am always on the move, but have slowed a little since reaching my 60's. But still do more than many others, I just never remember to bring a camera along or I forget my phone has that feature. So, I tell these stories wanting to share, because it won't be long before I can't remember chit. And I'll keep a look out for that Plesiosaur. smile Who knows what I might run across in the E. Texas prehistoric waters and forest.

Tracy

Tracy
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Brian, Highflyer, thanks so much for the information on the cormorant removal permits. I will get my request out soon. Dam birds frown

Tracy

Tracy
Glad to help,

I tried for two year to harass them, but after that failed, I got the permit. Now they know I am serious. When I see a heard of them, harassment is over, I start thinning. Still I would rather harass them and get rid of them, its easier on me.

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Tj, here in the south we experience a lot of good weather and we are able to get out and experience ,many of life greatest mysteries. smile We might have a snow day, and it will require you have to travel in 4Dr to get around all the idiots that have been not been removed through Natural Selection. Along with the nice weather, the Good Lord gave me "Ants in the Pants", so I am always on the move, but have slowed a little since reaching my 60's. But still do more than many others, I just never remember to bring a camera along or I forget my phone has that feature. So, I tell these stories wanting to share, because it won't be long before I can't remember chit. And I'll keep a look out for that Plesiosaur. smile Who knows what I might run across in the E. Texas prehistoric waters and forest.

Tracy

If I ever had a Squatch/UFO encounter I'd probably be too busy changing my shorts to remember I had a camera on my phone.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...