Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,074
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (JasonInOhio, Theo Gallus, H20fwler, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 812 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#431831 12/16/15 03:00 PM
Z
zuren Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I share a pond with 2 other neighbors with me being the newcomer to the neighborhood. The 1.75 acre pond is old (30-40 yrs.) with a lot of sediment, no aeration, and lots of trees around it (willow, cottonwood, maple, walnut, etc.). Last year the joint pond owners got together to discuss our thoughts and future hopes/dreams for the pond. They mentioned that they made an attempt years earlier to "open up the springs a bit more" but had limited success.

Do springs become clogged over time and is there a recommended approach to "opening them up"? I've never heard of such a thing.

I'm currently researching DIY dredging via a trash pump. I don't know if excessive silt/muck can choke off a spring and removal of the material would allow these springs to "breath" again or not. I'm new to pond management and I'm learning as I go. I attached a pic of the pond from Google Earth. The springs are supposedly located in the lower left arm of the pond.

Thanks!

Attached Images
Pond.JPG

Share a 1.7 acre, kidney shaped pond with 2 neighbors; Stocked with bass and bluegill
D
D
I have heard this before in agricultural irrigation ponds. Basically they just dredge them out.

It reminds me of this story one summer where there was no dredge that had any time that could do the job.

This one cat went to the military base got his TNT license and my dad and him loaded the pond with dynamite. 4" plastic pipes with a power washer pump, pumping water down the pipe would allow the pipe to self dig its way into the muck. Loaded the pipes with a charge and grid the pond.

The day they were going to touch it off the Military guy who trained him dropped by just before. Dad and him were going to touch it off in one shot. The guy who wrote them the license said they need to set it off in two different shots or they will crack house foundations 3 miles away.

Sooooo. It was set off in two charges after we pumped the pond as dry as we could. There were fish laying in the field 400 feet from the pond.

I can say that TNT worked really well to clear the pond from muck and silt. The pond would keep up with the irrigation pump no problem after that.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
What if you succeed in opening up the spring and it then becomes a drain during dry spells?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
I have heard this before in agricultural irrigation ponds. Basically they just dredge them out.

It reminds me of this story one summer where there was no dredge that had any time that could do the job.

This one cat went to the military base got his TNT license and my dad and him loaded the pond with dynamite. 4" plastic pipes with a power washer pump, pumping water down the pipe would allow the pipe to self dig its way into the muck. Loaded the pipes with a charge and grid the pond.

The day they were going to touch it off the Military guy who trained him dropped by just before. Dad and him were going to touch it off in one shot. The guy who wrote them the license said they need to set it off in two different shots or they will crack house foundations 3 miles away.

Sooooo. It was set off in two charges after we pumped the pond as dry as we could. There were fish laying in the field 400 feet from the pond.

I can say that TNT worked really well to clear the pond from muck and silt. The pond would keep up with the irrigation pump no problem after that.

Cheers Don.

I've wondered whether you could dig a pond the same way. The dirt would be removed and automatically spread to the surrounding area.....Good project for TJ! grin

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
...Good project for TJ! grin

I have that big White Oak stump, and will have at least 7 more. If I could sneak TJ into MI... whistle

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
A spring is mainly dependent upon the source hydraulic pressure. If someone tapped into the spring at a lower point, the water table has dropped, or even if a new, lower opening formed on it's own, flow will be reduced or stopped at all points higher in elevation.

There are other factors, like source flow/volume/capacity. The source path to your spring may have been very small, so it is theoretically possible that it "clogged", though if and where the clog happened, and clearing it, would be a complete crap shoot.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 10:22 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy