Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#427709 10/27/15 02:37 PM
X
xroads Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Hi all

I am interesting in building a pond on my land. The problem I may have is that the small steam I live buy floods it every couple of years.

What affect will this have on the fish I may stock. Will they swim right down the steam and leave me with nothing?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Xroads, a friend of mine has a property with a very small stream (18"s wide) and many times when it rains hard he gets a dip net and goes and harvests nice BG and LMB hat come from someone else's pond. Not only you have that to worry about but every flood will bring in unwanted species. Pretty hard ta manage that kind of situation. Can ya build your pond with high enough sides to keep the small stream out? Hope ya can figure a solution.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
X
xroads Offline OP
OP Offline
X
no such luck.

The stream is about 100 ft wide, but usually only 1-2 ft deep. But when it floods, it becomes about 15 ft deep and would be impossible to keep out.

My other option is to turn it into a wetland and enjoy it that way.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
100 ft wide is a large stream even at 2'. I wouldn't want ta be around it at 15'. Good luck, hope ya can make something work.
Back when I was young and even dumber me and the posse would always run down the road and toss a 10' Jon boat or canoe into this little stream that would get raging after heavy rains. Lost one Jon and one canoe. Almost lost a good friend.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Originally Posted By: xroads

Just a thought...when I was a kid growing up near the start of the Flat Rock River, I fished a lot near the covered bridge within biking distance of our place. A guy that lived there had dug a small but deep pond on the side of the river. The Flat Rock is mostly shallow along there. He caught what the Mother Nature's floods brought to his pond and loved it. I will always remember, one wet spring, the pic of him in the local paper with a 20 pound FHC he caught in his little pond.

...so I guess the effect of flooding on his little pond was free stocking!

Last edited by Bill D.; 10/27/15 09:45 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Whatever is in the stream could end up in your pond. And whatever is in your pond could end up in the stream. Also, your pond might catch a lot of silt that is in the stream during high water events.

A client had ponds dug in woods that could flood. He didn't want surface water going into his ponds. The contractor used the dirt that was dug out of the pond to build up the banks, effectively making a barrier higher than the water in the woods.

The ponds are groundwater ponds, and will vary 5' or possibly more from wet times of the year to dry times of the year.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
X
xroads Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Thanks for the replies

The pond is about 100 yards from the stream itself, so the flooding is mainly water backing up.

It would be impossible to dam it high enough.

I still may go for it, and just realize I may not be able to keep it full of bass and bluegill.

P
P
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: xroads

Just a thought...when I was a kid growing up near the start of the Flat Rock River, I fished a lot near the covered bridge within biking distance of our place. A guy that lived there had dug a small but deep pond on the side of the river. The Flat Rock is mostly shallow along there. He caught what the Mother Nature's floods brought to his pond and loved it. I will always remember, one wet spring, the pic of him in the local paper with a 20 pound FHC he caught in his little pond.

...so I guess the effect of flooding on his little pond was free stocking!

It works out great for those who are not trying a raise certain species and just want to catch fish. There is a certain degree of fun in not knowing what is biting on your bait. The many gravel pits here get flooded 2 or 3 times a year by the river and are fun to fish. They never run out of fish and you occasionally catch a whopper. I have a picture someplace of me and my oldest son when he was about 7 years old and I'm holding a spoonbill catfish about 6 feet long that I dragged out of a pit.

X
xroads Offline OP
OP Offline
X
I dont care if some swim down river, and I get some new. I just dont want every bass or bluegill to swim away every time it floods. If some stay and some go, I would be ok with it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images