Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,783
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
4 members (Steve Clubb, FireIsHot, Augie, Bill Cody), 983 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42640 10/03/02 08:12 PM
K
Kay Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
Hello,
I would first like to thank all that have answered my questions and concerns in the past. We have another problem with our pond - again. There seems to be some sort of yellow film on the water, which looks like pollen. However, this film seems to be dissipating now that the weather has turned a bit cooler. Unfortunately, we have numerous pine trees around the perimeter of the pond. I think I read on the Internet at one time that pine trees in particular are not advisable to have around a pond? Is the reasoning behind the above statement have anything to do with the pollen issue? Also, do pine needles have some sort of chemical in them that could cause the water to discolor? Thanks again for all the valuable information that PondBoss members always share. Kay

Kay
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Kay, it really sounds like pollen to me, I have many pine trees around my pond and although the needles fall into the water in decent numbers they don't leave any yellow film behind. That said I may be mistaken but I think some coniferous trees do have a pollen like substance on the needles, but I may be thinking of something else. I have also seen a yellow film caused by air pollution, are you anywhere near a large city or factory? (I believe it is sulpher that I have seen cause it)

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!
B
B
Sounds like the same yellow film I get on my car from the pine trees. Pretty sure it is just pine pollen. Bob

K
Kay Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
Thanks. Pottsy and Bob for your reply. We live in a suburb about 18 miles from Cleveland, OH. The pine trees around our pond have soft needles, however the pines that are located by our house have sharp needles and I think, perhaps, they are the culprits, as we also get pollen on our cars from them. So, I guess the pollen film on the pond water is benign to the fish - and not to worry? Thanks again.

Kay
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Being from west Texas, I know nothing abouit pine trees. Here, we get greenish pollen from oaks. However, it is in the Spring, not the fall. Do pines pollinate in the fall?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Kay, you mentioned your cars getting pollen on them. Are they currently gathering pollen?

Dave, got any rain up your way that you can send south?

BMorris

Bill
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bill, It is supposed to rain this evening. Been about 3 weeks with none. I planted wheat and rye a couple of weeks ago for deer hunting. The stuff that came up is turning yellow. My pond has been dropping 6 to 8 inches a week. Its down about 4 feet. I was hoping that one of the hurricanes would send some up into North Texas but no such luck.

K
Kay Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
K
Bill,
In reply to your message of Oct. 5th, you asked if we still have pollen on our cars. The answer is no, not lately. Most of the pollen was visible during spring and into summer. I still note that the pond water has the film on it. However, it has changed over the months. Since we use a creek to feed our pond - the film may be coming from the creek. The pines probably contributed to the film during the spring and summer. The film does not seem to harm the fish or the small fry. It does, however, take away from the clarity of the water. If you throw a pebble into the pond, the film actually breaks apart at the point of impact, and then closes up again. We aerate our pond, thus the film is "pushed" to the edges. I spend so much time ( down by the pond ) I don't know what I am going to do - when winter comes, and I can no longer see the bluegills, bass, turtles etc. I guess it will be time to play catch up with all the chores in our home. \:\( Thanks again, Kay

Kay
N
N
You asked why pine trees are discouraged from around a pond...

Why are evergreen trees not recommended? They suck up a lot of water. Pines are not as bad as spruce, but they do use up some of the water. Also, the pine needles falling into the water (and the water seeping through them as it drains into your pond) do induce some chemicals into the pond water that is not conducive to fish growth and health. That is why pines are not recommended. The pollen is less of an issue than these other things.

Correct me if I am wrong, Bob Lusk.

Nick Smith
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
I like trees. I like water. I like trees with water. Given a choice, I'll always take trees near water.
Some trees are better than others. Pine trees give off pollen seasonally, but pollen isn't the problem. The water is. You see, where pine trees grow, soils tend to be acidic, and water is soft. Soft water has limited buffering capacity, so organic matter introduced into the pond has a greater impact. It can change water chemistry.
My advice to people is this...grow trees native to your area. Avoid willows and other softwood trees, because they tend to use lots of water. (That's a bad thing, unless you have too much water, then those trees are okay)
Know why you want trees, then select the best ones suited to your goals, local soils, and climate.
I really enjoy cypress trees. But, here, they won't grow fast, slough their needles each winter, and don't like our ponds that fluctuate levels. So, I have to be picky where I use cypress.
Regarding fish, rarely do trees directly lead to fish problems. Decaying leaves, pollen, tend to disrupt water quality, which leads to stressors which can have an impact on fish.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Steve Clubb - 04/18/24 05:48 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by CentexSaj - 04/18/24 03:32 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 12:48 PM