Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,941
Posts557,762
Members18,480
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
7 members (Fishingadventure, esshup, Snipe, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, bcraley, J. R.), 809 guests, and 209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#424977 09/27/15 04:49 PM
J
JMH Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Fished out of our pond today for the first time. Had no problem catching the bluegill of all sizes from 4 inches to 8 but about half of the fish we caught they had swallowed the hook. I've had the feeder running frequently all summer and it makes me think the fish have gotten used to eating just pellets. Any ideas on what the problem might be and how to fix it?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
How were you fishing?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
T
T
Originally Posted By: JMH
Fished out of our pond today for the first time. Had no problem catching the bluegill of all sizes from 4 inches to 8 but about half of the fish we caught they had swallowed the hook. I've had the feeder running frequently all summer and it makes me think the fish have gotten used to eating just pellets. Any ideas on what the problem might be and how to fix it?

I have had this problem when the grandchildren are fishing. I put on bigger hooks and the problem improved by 90%.

J
JMH Offline OP
OP Offline
J
With a bobber and small hook. Went up in hook size and thought there was no way they could even get it in there mouth and it happened again.

Lunker
Lunker
Try a very small circle hook. They're designed to be swallowed and slowly extracted as the line tightens. The hook-point turns just prior to exit and engages the interior corner of the fish's mouth. Never "set the hook" with circle hooks, or you'll simply yank them out of the fish's mouth. Simply let the line tighten and then apply a bit of "exaggerated resistance" to engage the hook-point.

Lunker
Lunker
Use a ball head jig head instead of plain hook under a small bobber, no split shot, this will significantly reduce the number of gut-hooked fish.

http://journalstar.com/sports/local/outd...d3485ec6bb.html

Quote:
One reason I prefer a small jig head to a plain small hook is that a jig head is weighted; there is no need for split-shot weights. The biggest reason I like the jig heads is that the weight of the lead on the jig head prevents these fish from swallowing the bait. You will not have to extract hooks from gut-hooked fish, and you will have fish that can be quickly unhooked and released. At the most, you may need a pair of forceps for extracting jig heads.

Last edited by Shorty; 09/27/15 06:09 PM. Reason: added link

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
What size bobber? You want as small as you can effectively use. Too large and the fish has your bait half digested before the float signals an interest.

J
JMH Offline OP
OP Offline
J
That's a very good point. I used a pretty small bobber but I'll try an even smaller one and hope that works thanks!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Don't forget to balance your bobber/float. Size is half the solution, the other half is balance! If you wait until the fish takes the float (even a small float) under before setting the hook, you may end up with deep sets. A properly balanced float will definitively register a light take, including an uptake, and will help prevent gut hooks.

Originally Posted By: Kelly Duffie
Try a very small circle hook. They're designed to be swallowed and slowly extracted as the line tightens. The hook-point turns just prior to exit and engages the interior corner of the fish's mouth. Never "set the hook" with circle hooks, or you'll simply yank them out of the fish's mouth. Simply let the line tighten and then apply a bit of "exaggerated resistance" to engage the hook-point.

George G (may he RIP) gave me this same advice for when kids are fishing my pond and it worked great....but not perfect. I have not seen circle hooks smaller than 6 though.

Last edited by Bill D.; 09/27/15 09:05 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Lunker
Lunker
Might be worth a try to attempt fashioning your own mini circle-hook with a light-wire bluegill hook. ??

Originally Posted By: Bill D.
George G (may he RIP) gave me this same advice for when kids are fishing my pond and it worked great....but not perfect. I have not seen circle hooks smaller than 6 though.

Originally Posted By: Kelly Duffie

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I've given up using circle hooks for bluegill. I get far more reliable hooksets with standard hooks, size 6 thru 10.

That being said, I prefer Shorty's approach with jigheads. Very seldom will I tie on a plain hook for fishing live bait. I will typically use 1/80 or 1/100 oz jigheads. 1/64 if the fish are aggressive.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Don't forget to balance your bobber/float. Size is half the solution, the other half is balance! If you wait until the fish takes the float (even a small float) under before setting the hook, you may end up with deep sets. A properly balanced float will definitively register a light take, including an uptake, and will help prevent gut hooks.

What Tony is talking about is using one of those long slender bobbers. Use enough weight so that the fat body of the bobber is below the water and just the colored tip is out.

You can use a medium split shot near the hook, and a larger one right under the bobber to balance the bobber. That way the fish doesn't feel all of the weight.

If the bobber rises in the water column, a fish has taken the bait. If you are using a round beach ball bobber, there's no way to tell that.

I'll also use an ice fishing bobber. Very small and if it twitches, I set the hook.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
My BG wont even take my bait with a bobber on it. They flat know better anymore. Unless they are smaller ones, but my large 10 inchers just laugh at it.....

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Fishing without a float or weight is one of my favorite, and most productive ways to catch bluegills. But you need to be on your game and focused on your line. Set the hook at the slightest line twitch or even when it just doesn't act "normal", or you will have a lot of deep hooks.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yup!! You got that right sprk! Watching that line take off is sweet but like you said you better be ready specially if it's a bigger fish! Trying to teach my 12 year old to fish this way now as I have even tried the small ice fishing bobbers and they won't mess with them either unless they are real hungry.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
J
JMH Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Was using a size 4 hook with a weighted 2.5 inch bobber. Going to give the circle hook a try and going to go down in bobber size also. Hoping it works, was gut hooking about 7 out of the 10 fish we caught. We'll see how that goes with the new adjustments.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Your float size is a big part of the problem. If you're using a round float, drop down to something no larger than a nickel, a dime is even better. I prefer slip floats with either a 1/2" or 5/8" diameter.

I also feel there is no single component that will guarantee success, although downsizing will help tremendously. It's a system....light lines, small floats, smaller weights. Baits matched to the system as well as the mood of the fish. The tackle needs to work together seamlessly to telegraph light bites, provide the most excitement to the angler, and showcase the bluegill in its best light.

B
B
For those who just don't know how to fish ,how do set up a slip float?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Fishing without a float or weight is one of my favorite, and most productive ways to catch bluegills. But you need to be on your game and focused on your line. Set the hook at the slightest line twitch or even when it just doesn't act "normal", or you will have a lot of deep hooks.

YEP!

1/100th oz. ball jighead, Berkley Creature or 2" Powerbait twister tail, 2# test Flurocarbon line. Reel straight back, reel-pause-reel, or twitch/swim it back. Many of my pickups are on the slight "fall" of the bait, and rarely are then hooked with the whole jig in their mouth.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
EURYHALINE POND UPDATE
by Fishingadventure - 04/17/24 10:48 PM
How many LMB to remove?
by esshup - 04/17/24 10:35 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:28 PM
No feed HSB or CC small pond?
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:21 PM