Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Augie, Fishingadventure, dg84s, Groundhog7, IND1371, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Sunil, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 788 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
In the following thread Dlowrance caught a big bass from his pond and released it. He has me doing a replica of it. (One of the thing's I do for a living.) He and I thought it would be cool to chronicle the process of doing the replica.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=420775&page=1

The way fish replica's typically work is if the original fish is not available, the angler gives me a length and girth and/or weight and I order a blank from a supplier that is as close to the original fish as possible. The suppliers usually have thousands of casts of fish of numerous species and sizes listed to choose from.

Here the box of the cast has arrived:

Here is it pulled out of the peanuts:

Here it is showing the approximate length:

Here it is showing the girth:

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/17/15 09:01 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm very excited about following this! Thank you.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Soon I will show how the pec fins are attached and the pec fin bases modeled in, the whiting out of darker areas, and the blank sealed in clear lacquer sealer. Then the fish will be "antiqued" to prep for applying the colors.

Stay tuned!

Feel free to comment or ask questions as the pictures are posted.

In the mean time here are a few "skin mount" bass I recently did for some customers:

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/18/15 05:52 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Those bass look terrific!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Just an additional commentary on replicas. I hear anglers on fishing websites comment they look fake, like plastic etc. If the blank is high quality and the painting is good they should be indistinguishable from the real thing.

Here is a musky replica I did a couple of years ago for a musky guide and his client:

Here is the blank before painting:

Here is the blank after painting:

We put the fish back in the box of peanuts the blank was sent in as the guide had to drive it several hours to an outdoor convention. The guy on the left got a free musky replica from the guide for catching and releasing a 50 inch or plus musky from a local lake. The guide paid for the blank, and I did the labor free of charge for advertisement. We don't do it anymore as he got tired of buying the blanks for $300.00, and I got tired of doing them for free with no one wanting to pay $750.00 around here for a musky replica!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/12/15 12:54 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Those bass look terrific!

Thanks. Perhaps a little greener than some regions of the country but pretty much what they look like here.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Very nice work and and the start of an informative trip through the process.

Very cool Cecil. I hope you decide to do a similar thread sometime on a skin mount. smile

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
This is a very good thread about preserving a life like replica of your trophy catch or one you would like to catch some day. Yes this is a great educational thread for anglers and pondmeisters.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
WAAYYY Excited!!!

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Update:

Flashing on the fins and body has been trimmed and ground off. Seams and imperfections have been filled in with a two part apoxy known as "Magic Sculpt." This is a product we use in the taxidermy industry to fill in shrinkage on actual skin mounts too. Sets up hard as a rock.

Eyes have been set and the nares have been installed.

Next step will be sanding down the epoxy and putting on a thiner layer in which scales will be pressed in using a silicone mold of actual fish scales.

Also the teeth will be made in the appropriate areas of the mouth using more of the Magic Sculpt and producing the correct texture with a toothbrush.

Then whiting out the epoxy areas, sealing with a lacquer sealer and "antiquing" the scales and other areas to give them a natural detail that shows through the transparent paint.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/26/15 11:15 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Very cool Cecil. I hope you decide to do a similar thread sometime on a skin mount. smile

Bill,

This may have been before your time here:

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=124398&page=1

O
O
Very interesting to watch this thread keep up the good work.

I Subscribe
1 acre pond with YP,HBG,RES,HSB,SMB,GSH,FHM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Very informative and excellent job so far. I am learning a lot. Did not know you had to add the scales and teeth. True artistic talent required.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Very informative and excellent job so far. I am learning a lot. Did not know you had to add the scales and teeth. True artistic talent required.

It depends on the mold. Some you don't have to.

This can be learned. Just average artistic ability needed, a desire to continually improve, and a love of nature. And of course lots of repetition.

C
CMM Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

It depends on the mold. Some you don't have to.

This can be learned. Just average artistic ability needed, a desire to continually improve, and a love of nature. And of course lots of repetition.

He is both modest and humble. I agree with the other opinions here, well above average. You deserve every award you have and more.

Cmm

CMM

Lookin good Cecil! I'm already in negotiations with my interior decorator as to where that beauty will be hung...I'm being told that dead center right over the headboard in the master bedroom may be a non starter....

Dale

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice work Cecil and thanks for the how to narrative.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: dlowrance
Lookin good Cecil! I'm already in negotiations with my interior decorator as to where that beauty will be hung...I'm being told that dead center right over the headboard in the master bedroom may be a non starter....

Did have a newlywed couple tell me they were going to hang the hubby's deer shoulder mount (back before I specialzed in fish) right above the bed. I made sure the hanger was a good one and told them to use a screw with a big head so it wouldn't fall off the wall!

Sadly I can't tell you how many wives turn to their husband's and say, "You're not going to hang that in my house," if they come in with their husband to pick it up. I've even had some purposely not tell the husband it's ready to pick up. Many mounts get banned to a damp basement, but if the guy is lucky enough to have a man cave his man cave.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Pretty Cool Cecil!!!

Didn't really know what a replica was until you explained it here. Thanks!!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Pretty Cool Cecil!!!

Didn't really know what a replica was until you explained it here. Thanks!!

Thanks for the kind words.

Interestingly more and more taxidermists are molding fish too. In fact a lot of my frozen fish sales go to taxidermists and suppliers that are molding fish.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/28/15 08:01 PM.

I couldn't agree more on CMM's calling of Cecil being modest and humble when he says "This can be learned. Just average artistic ability needed".

After having the pleasure of seeing his operation first hand while on our trip:

Cecil took the time to show us around, answer all of our questions and explain the whole process.

And now we all get to see it from start to finish! Thank you Cecil!

There's no question you possess a rare talent!

And just out of curiosity, are there any other fish taxidermists who also raise their own fish????

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Sadly I can't tell you how many wives turn to their husband's and say, "You're not going to hang that in my house," if they come in with their husband to pick it up. I've even had some purposely not tell the husband it's ready to pick up. Many mounts get banned to a damp basement, but if the guy is lucky enough to have a man cave his man cave.

This is a non-issue for me...the majority of my house is definitely decorated in Early American Redneck. The better half and I have an agreement...she doesn't mind the shoulder mounts, fish, outdoor pics, beer signs, etc in the basement (my man cave) and also scattered throughout the main floor, and I don't mind her painting numerous walls colors that are better served decorating an ice cream truck.

Dale

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
More progress. The painting should be completed today. Lots of distractions including adding on to the house and a customer flying in from Alaska to pick up his 44 inch 40 lb. lake trout (skin mount). Several thousand spots to repaint and make them not look painted. Probably the most difficult fish I paint. And of course delivering tilapia to four high schools and holding their hands on set up. LOL

Anyway here is the fish all whited out over the epoxied areas and then sealed in a lacquer sealer.

Next a dark brown is painted on the scaled areas and fins that have some color to them.

After that the brown is buffed with fine steel wool to take paint off the high areas of the scale to add detail and realism to the blank. In the industry we call this "antiquing." Otherwise even with the right colors the fish would look like some fake plastic fish.

Next I use five minute epoxy and put the pec fins on and fill in the pec fin base with a two part epoxy I use to model in things on fish.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/03/15 03:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday