Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,502
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
2 members (liquidsquid, Mcarver), 970 guests, and 237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Put 250 in the pond yesterday. I hand check almost all of them.. See pics below.
The second pic is blurry, but I'm including it because of the yellow on the belly.. Ok?

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
The pic is blurry, but they're not pure GSF if that's what you're worried about.

Feed those fish. By any chance did they tell you how old they were?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Those HBG appear slightly stunted probably from crowding. They will grow fast if you feed them regularly.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
OP Offline
I was just trying to find our if they really were HBG, and if so, if they looked like they were in decent shape. I'm pretty sure they're coming from a fairly crowded situation.
I'm not sure of the age. (I should have asked..)
I've got millions and millions of FHM. I mean, if it's possible to be overpopulated with FHM, my pond is close.
I've also got a feeder going, just 4 seconds a day, but the YP are not hurting the minnows, or hitting the feed that hard. Not sure what they are eating. (I never see them.)
My greatest fear with these is reproduction, although the guys at the hatchery said they are very "unlikely" to reproduce.
The second fear I have is with, biting swimmers.. I hope once they get a little larger they'll leave the swimmers alone.
The plan is to have something a bit easier for the grand kids to catch than the YP..
Thanks

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: SetterGuy
My greatest fear with these is reproduction, although the guys at the hatchery said they are very "unlikely" to reproduce.

HBG reproducing or the YP? If HBG, they will reproduce, however their offspring will be 90+% male and inferior to their parents. If he's talking YP, they'll very likely reproduce, especially if you have anything in the pond for them to hang their ribbons on.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Omaha

HBG reproducing or the YP? If HBG, they will reproduce, however their offspring will be 90+% male and inferior to their parents. If he's talking YP, they'll very likely reproduce, especially if you have anything in the pond for them to hang their ribbons on.

I've tried to create an environment for the YP to reproduce. Sorry I wasn't clear. I am not really interested in the HBG reproducing. I haven't done a ton of research on HBG reproduction, but from what I've read, I'd prefer that they did not.
Thx

Otter attack in 2023
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
HBG certainly will reproduce, but that's out of our control for the most part. Our job is to eliminate or severely curtail recruitment. Stay on top of your vegetation issues, and do not let it get out of hand. What else besides YP are in the pond?

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Tony, would you suggest he treat his YP population like you do your HBG? Similar goals for both species. Limited vegetation/limited reproduction and few top predators?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
If limited recruitment for both species is the goal then I like the idea. I'm not very familiar with yoy YP...would they inhabit the same areas as yoy HBG? If so, then I can see where issues with unwanted HBG recruitment might occur also, if conditions are manipulated to favor YP recruitment. I'm very curious about this combination and would like to know more about the strategy employed.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Yeah, me too, very interested. YP can be very prolific without a top predator around. I don't have a top predator in my puddle yet and only started with 30 YP. They're offspring are caught every cast.

OP Offline
Going to add 50 or so SMB, and maybe a handful of HSB.
The SMB this fall. Not sure when on the HSB.
I have very little vegetation now. (The pond just finally filled this summer, construction completed last fall.) I'm over run with FHM, and BF tadpoles. I mean they are everywhere.

I've got three big cedar trees sunk in the shallow end. Four artificial trees near those. I've got several (6 or 7) gravel beds and rocky strips around the edges.

This spring, we stocked 150 RES and some GS, at the same time, we also stocked 1,200 YP. The FHM went in the year before. I have not actually seen any of the 1200 YP. But when the feeder goes off in the morning, there are some bigger splashes. 90% of the feeding though is still FHM. If I do still have 1200 YP, and they spawn next year, I'm going to need something to help thin the fry, right?

I also put in 50 crayfish this spring, and a few hundred grass shrimp earlier this summer.
I was telling the guy at the hatchery (that sold me the HBG) the same stocking sequence I just explained. He just kept warning me. He said I need to harvest some.. Well, nothing is big enough to harvest yet, but when they are, I won't have any trouble harvesting any.. (If I can catch anything.. Ha)
Thanks again for all the info.
Jeff

Last edited by SetterGuy; 09/16/15 06:35 PM.

Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
Caught first fish ever in this new pond..

Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
Talking to Rex. He said it was ok to take about 200 of the YP (1,200 initial stocking) out this fall. So I guess I'll get to taste a YP!
Anyone have any good recipes??

Otter attack in 2023
C
C
I'm all in on needing some good perch filet batter recipes!

Setterguy, 1200 perch, wow!! 12x what I put in. Yes, that perch looks good and you will have millions of fry soon smile

is that a boring worm or something on the side of the perch or just debris from the water?

I'd be curious to see when you see the shrimp in the shallows. When I put mine in I figured they were eaten quickly by fish but this summer in the shallows I see hundreds of them. I see them best at night on the sandy bottom in the shallows moving around.

Does anyone recall seeing shrimp in the stomach of perch? I hear that BG, sunfish eat them but not sure if they are recognizable as a forage source for perch (or larger predators like small SMB, LMB, HSB, WE etc)

Congratulations on a great stocking plan!

OP Offline
I have yet to see the shrimp. I need to try the flashlight after dark.
We may have overstocked a bit, but I am running a feeder, and have four grand kids.
Unfortunately the grand kids are not pulling their share. The oldest went right from baseball to soccer. Looks like it's going to be up to me to catch them. Ha!
I'll start next week, and will take out a flashlight. I'm hoping some of the grass shrimp survived. Not a lot of weeds or any vegetation in this young pond. But lots of rock.

Edit. It's just some dirt from the bottom of the canoe. Hoping the RES are keeping the snails at bay, and no boring worms.. (Slippery little guy.)

Last edited by SetterGuy; 09/23/15 09:30 AM.

Otter attack in 2023
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Congrats! No turning back now.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Check Pond Boss Mag for fish recipes. Many will work with YP. I think you will need to harvest more than 200. Nice work !

Were those leeches or grubs on the pictured YP ?

Last edited by ewest; 09/23/15 10:56 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Yellow perch in Missouri - that is great news. Keep us up-to-date on YP progress in your pond. Do you see them eating pellets? They come to the surface and retreat very quickly. Easiest and best time to actually see them eating pellets is when the water is 50-65F when they swim a little slower.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/23/15 01:15 PM.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: ewest
Check Pond Boss Mag for fish recipes. Many will work with YP. I think you will need to harvest more than 200. Nice work !

Were those leeches or grubs on the pictured YP ?

I'll start pulling out the back issues, and looking for recipes. Thanks.

How many should I harvest? Rex put in two different sizes. There were over a thousand of the little ones. I'm pretty sure the one pictured above is one of the larger ones. The smaller ones will be tough to fillet.

No leech or grub. Just dirt from the bottom of the canoe, when I dropped it.

Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Yellow perch in Missouri - that is great news. Keep us up-to-date on YP progress in your pond. Do you see them eating pellets? They come to the surface and retreat very quickly. Easiest and best time to actually see them eating pellets is when the water is 50-65F when they swim a little slower.

I'm pretty sure they (the YP) are eating the AM 500. Pretty big splashes occasionally. They are just amazingly fast. I watch closely, just to get a glimpse of what's hitting. It happens too fast. They may actually be hitting the minnows that are hitting the feed.
I caught two yesterday, one was a bit smaller. These were the first time I'd actually seen the YP since they were stocked.
I guess I'll be catching a bunch here pretty soon. Any YouTube links on filleting these young ones?
Will that filleting board work with smaller YP?
Water temps are dropping. I jumped in yesterday, and got right back out. Pretty cold water. When do you stop feeding? When the pond freezes over?
Hopefully I'll be able to see them when it gets colder.
What I see rising right now seems more like 50 fish, not 1,200. Maybe I lost some, that never floated up..

Last edited by SetterGuy; 09/23/15 06:14 PM.

Otter attack in 2023
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Y.perch will slow down surface feeding when the water gets 55F dropping to 50F. Below 50F you do not need to feed them. Larger perch like you have often slow down feeding in mid summer especially in your latitude. Many of the YP could be feeding on small FHM if they are abundant. Your main feeding activity of the year will be next spring post spawn when the water is 58-72F. I basically only harvest the 9"-12" YP so each makes a nice sized fillet.

OP Offline
Thanks Bill. I'll be harvesting some that are a little smaller than your 9"-12".
I'll watch the water temps, on when to stop feeding.
Thanks again for the information.
I've been watching you tube videos on filleting YP. Only a few guys take out those "Y" bones that run horizontal out from above the rib cage. Do you remove them?

Otter attack in 2023
P
P
Going to add 50 or so SMB, and maybe a handful of HSB.
The SMB this fall. Not sure when on the HSB.
I have very little vegetation now. (The pond just finally filled this summer, construction completed last fall.) I'm over run with FHM, and BF tadpoles. I mean they are everywhere.

I've got three big cedar trees sunk in the shallow end. Four artificial trees near those. I've got several (6 or 7) gravel beds and rocky strips around the edges.

This spring, we stocked 150 RES and some GS, at the same time, we also stocked 1,200 YP. The FHM went in the year before. I have not actually seen any of the 1200 YP. But when the feeder goes off in the morning, there are some bigger splashes. 90% of the feeding though is still FHM. If I do still have 1200 YP, and they spawn next year, I'm going to need something to help thin the fry, right?

I also put in 50 crayfish this spring, and a few hundred grass shrimp earlier this summer.
I was telling the guy at the hatchery (that sold me the HBG) the same stocking sequence I just explained. He just kept warning me. He said I need to harvest some.. Well, nothing is big enough to harvest yet, but when they are, I won't have any trouble harvesting any.. (If I can catch anything.. Ha)
Thanks again for all the info.
Jeff

Don't worry, you will have NO problem catching the HBG. They're the most aggressive biters in my pond. They bite so fast it makes it hard to catch a BG or YP. I have been removing their offspring with minnow traps for several weeks and plan to remove and fillet all I can catch this weekend. Hopefully I will have the population way down by winter.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Equal parts flower and Italian bread crumbs, and garlic powder/pepper to taste. Fry in peanut or canola oil 'till golden on the outside. If the fillets are dry, dip in egg wash before dipping in the dry mix.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
Thanks for the info esshup and poppy65.
I'll be trying that coating on the YP soon..
Poppy65, you are making me nervous about stocking the HBG. I was hoping they wouldn't reproduce, and if the experiment of having them in with my YP, SMB, and RES would be controlled. If it didn't work out, I thought once I had caught them, it would be over. Trapping offspring wasn't what I was hoping for. Oh well, we shall see.
I had a possum get in the live trap the other day. I've been catching all coons until now. Well he managed to Rick the trap down I to the water. When I pulled it out it had two HBG in it! I guess they were going after the possum. That is aggressive!

Otter attack in 2023
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM