Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,782
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
10 members (Augie, Bill Cody, Groundhog7, Sunil, gehajake, CentexSaj, catscratch, wps456, teehjaeh57, Shorthose), 886 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Don't forget your feed storage containers.

I was buzzing by a country store on my way to work yesterday and saw these little barrels out front. Thought they were too darn cute so turned around about a half mile down the road and stopped in. They had 2 and I grabbed them. On my way back they had 2 more, so I grabbed them as well. Asked if they have more, she made a call and I picked up 5 more this morning. They had Naproxin Sodium (powder form of Alieve)in them and are super clean. Really nice gasket seal on the top with the taper band to clamp tight. I don't think they can get any more, but if someone close buy want's one, I have a few extra.

They measure about 19" in diameter x 27" tall, about 30 gallon size. Nice handles to boot!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Score!!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Shorty, I'm very interested in quite a bit of feed. I just need to figure out my plan next year. I don't know yet if I'm gonna be growing out BG or Blue cats, both, or possibly neither. And I also need to educate myself on the type of feed we are dealing with here. Is this a feed designed for panfish in particular, or is this something my BC would benefit from, etc. I plan to have a big feed bill one way or the other next year so I may as well be working with a high quality food like this. A pallet full minus a few bags out of it for you, TJ and Bruce isn't out of the question for me. Also my cousins have a trout farm up the road and they're always growing out trout for restaurant consumption and they usually have a truck of feed shipped in from Utah. Possibly they'd be interested. A lot of things to figure out on my end. So I need you guys to educate me on this product. Very similar to aquamax in composition? Varying sizes? Pct protein? Good for trout grow out? Fill me in.

PS I've already seen it working on Bruce's RES so I'm sold on its effectiveness.

Last edited by NEDOC; 09/03/15 06:40 PM.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Score!!

Well Spark - That just may be my new Super Power: "Spotting cute barrels out of peripheral vision while wearing my old 7 level progressive bifocals after ingesting an Ultram 50 for breakfast and driving at speeds that could possibly cause some unplanned for financial deviations". laugh

Seriously tho, I've been looking for little barrels like this for a while now.

My bucket barrel list has a lot of stuff in it wink laugh

Last edited by JKB; 09/03/15 08:29 PM.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Originally Posted By: NEDOC
Shorty, I'm very interested in quite a bit of feed. I just need to figure out my plan next year. I don't know yet if I'm gonna be growing out BG or Blue cats, both, or possibly neither. And I also need to educate myself on the type of feed we are dealing with here. Is this a feed designed for panfish in particular, or is this something my BC would benefit from, etc. I plan to have a big feed bill one way or the other next year so I may as well be working with a high quality food like this. A pallet full minus a few bags out of it for you, TJ and Bruce isn't out of the question for me. Also my cousins have a trout farm up the road and they're always growing out trout for restaurant consumption and they usually have a truck of feed shipped in from Utah. Possibly they'd be interested. A lot of things to figure out on my end. So I need you guys to educate me on this product. Very similar to aquamax in composition? Varying sizes? Pct protein? Good for trout grow out? Fill me in.

PS I've already seen it working on Bruce's RES so I'm sold on its effectiveness.

Next time up I'll give you some and show you how it works.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
I was at Rangen in Angleton TX today picking up some feed and noticed multiple pallets of Aquamax. I asked the guy there and he said they now make Aquamax for Purina. Its the same feed that Rangen sells under their own name but with Purina packaging.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: rrussler
I was at Rangen in Angleton TX today picking up some feed and noticed multiple pallets of Aquamax. I asked the guy there and he said they now make Aquamax for Purina. Its the same feed that Rangen sells under their own name but with Purina packaging.

I've used Rangen once before when it replaced Aquamax. It was a starter feed and I liked it better than the Aquamax in my tanks as it didn't dirty the water up as much.

Amazing isn't it? A company brags about how great their feed is and someone else makes it.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
B
Is it still only the game fish chow or is Rangen now manufacturing the gamefish line i.e. aquamax 400, 500, 600, 2000 and 4000?

when purina was having supply problems, i contacted rangen but they apparently have no retail distribution network (at least in dallas/ft worth area) and shipping a few bags at a time is WAY cost prohibitive.

R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
I only looked at one of the pallets. It was aquamax 400 with first ingredient fish meal, then chicken. I did not ask them what other sizes they were making. Once he said the aquamax was Rangen feed in a different bag it didnt matter. Rangen produces multiple sizes under their own name. They also had pallets of Purina game fish chow.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: rrussler
.....Its the same feed that Rangen sells under their own name but with Purina packaging.

uh, oh.......

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
rrussler, were you specifically told that they are just putting a different bag around their own product?

C
C
Thanks for the tip JKB, others who are interested, check your local craigslist using the search 'food barrel' Our area has several sources selling these for somewhere between $12-20 per piece, clean, with sealing lids.

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Update - my fish are feeding with significant infrequency on the new Purina feed. I have cut down on feeding times by 50% and still have pellets floating 20 minutes later. As anyone whose been to my ponds can attest, typically a 2 second throw would be consumed in less than 3-4 minutes anytime water temps exceed 55 degrees. The food looks different, is sized differently, smells different, and is being utilized at a much lower rate than original Aqua Max. I am done with Purina Aqua Max as soon as I use it all. At the rate fish are eating it, however, I'm not sure I'll go through it before it goes bad. Really disappointing, hardly surprising.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My fish in the main pond are off feed somewhat period. Maybe the extended warm temps?

In my small holding pond where I have 100 seven to eight inch gills along with yellow perch, I threw threw them some hydrated Aquamax since feeding was so slow in the main pond. They were't crazy about vs. the hydrated optima feed.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm feeding AMAX 500 3 times a day and there is none that isn't eaten. Test feeding and tossing by hand also gets eaten.

No problem on either pond.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
According to the tag, the ingredients are a little different. Someone more intelligent than I would need to wade through all those important sounding big words, in order to see if such changes account for the differences some, including myself, are reporting.

I'm still curious if the tweaks in the formula occurred on Purina's end, or are a result of contracting out production. Exactly who's using who's formula here....is it Rangen feed in an AQ bag, AQ feed being sold as Rangen, or a completely different formulation?

Anyone have a Rangen tag handy?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I'm feeding AMAX 500 3 times a day and there is none that isn't eaten. Test feeding and tossing by hand also gets eaten.

No problem on either pond.

My catfish absolutely adore the new Aquamax feed. Whoever makes it..... My lepomids? Not so much....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I too would love to see a Rangen tag.

Tony, I've been emailing with Cargill over the last week, and apparently they've had a nice spike in sales since this Purina deal hit. Maybe I'm naive about business stuff, but they were all over this latest market opening as soon as it happened.

I have no clue whether Purina's new fish food is their formula or Rangen's, but labeling it as a Purina product makes sense. Purina products are in every feed store down here for 300 miles, so a distribution network is already in place. If Rangen self-labeled their food and came out with a Purina Aquamax equivalent product, they'd probably fight the same brick and mortar shelf space issues that Cargill does.

I wonder how many bags/tons of fish food are sold a year to noncommercial customers?

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot

I wonder how many bags/tons of fish food are sold a year to noncommercial customers?

Now THAT is a great question. And is ultimately the probable reason we are even having this discussion.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I also am not liking the new version of Aquamax feed. Very little fishy odor, thus likely the flavor is compromised and fewer fish will be harder to pellet train, pellet texture appears different, and it does not hydrate as well as the old AM600 version. I won't know really until next spring if the fish are eating it as well. I usually have casual pellet feeding by the yellow perch in mid summer and fall.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
My HSB are not eating it. I am all ears regarding a replacement feed for YP, HSB, and SMB.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
The Ziegler feed I have stinks horribly like fish. sick

Temps dropped pretty low for a while so think they got their winter jammies on.

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Looks like I'm going to have to research Ziegler until Bob or Matt come up with alternatives.

R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
Condello - it was a casual conversation with the guy who works at the loading dock. I didn't interview anyone on the topic, and I certainly didn't talk to the production manager or their food biologist. Since I am very happy with Rangen products and have never used Aquamax, I really don't care if its the same stuff or not, so there was no reason for me to follow up.

As I'm sure you know, there are a lot of name brand products we all buy that have generic equivalents. We never know whether the chicken or the egg came first - ie, even if it is the same product, is this the Rangen formula in an Aquamax bag, or the Aquamax forumula in a Rangen bag? Do you perceive a problem with it being one way or the other?

I can probably get you a copy of the ingredients tag for Rangen if you are still interested, but you might also be able to find the ingredients on their website.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by CentexSaj - 04/18/24 03:32 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 12:48 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM
Chestnut other trees for wildlife