Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,943
Posts557,771
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
8 members (ArkieJig, Shorthose, Bigtrh24, rjackson, Dave Davidson1, Freunb02, Bruno616, catscratch), 808 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#423823 09/13/15 10:14 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If I were holding some small sunfish over the winter, does anybody have any suggestions about a chemical that could be added to the water that would be completely safe for fish, but would decrease the possibility of fungal and bacterial infections?

Thanks!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
NaCl!

Keep it at about .2 percent ( aka 2ppt or 2000 mg/l.)

As you probably know it's not actually used to treat fungus and bacterial infections but it will keep the stress levels down to keep their immune systems up to par.

I've also become a big believer in potassium permanganate at 2 to 4 mg/ for about 4 hours to eliminate gram negative bacteria in the tank and external parasites if fish have problems. Just make sure the biofilter is offline and you start at the low end.

Had some serious bacterial and possible parasite issues with some tilapia I had fedexed overnight recently, and the PP in conjunction with a broad spectrum antibiotic finally did the job. Also briefly increased the salinity significantly. Thanks to Kellen Weissebach for his expert advice. (Fish are not destined for the table).

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/13/15 10:58 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
D
We would tread all my uncles tanks with Methylene Blue after we let the fresh water sit over night.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
So...,let's see...how much salt is that in a 500 gallon tank?

I calculate about 8 lbs of salt per 500 gallons would give you Cecil's recommended 2000 mg/liter.....if I did the math correctly smile

Last edited by Bill D.; 09/14/15 09:35 AM. Reason: Typo

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Lunker
Lunker
500 gallons is a big aquarium, very cool. If you are overwintering RES get a heater and keep the temps above at least 60 degrees. RES are very susceptible to fin rot when water temps drop below 55 degrees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Some good reading on salt and fish. Some of the species are different but the principle is the same. However different species react to salt differently.

http://www.ncrac.org/files/technical_bul...Aquaculture.pdf

http://www.discusnews.com/article/cat-02/salt.shtml

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/ponds/Kebus_Salt_Treatments.html

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/14/15 10:39 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I calculate about 8 lbs of salt per 500 gallons would give you Cecil's recommended 2000 mg/liter.....if I did the math correctly smile

Depends on how close you want to be Bill. grin OTOH it would probably be a good idea to check my math! blush

I got 8.326 lbs. or 8 lbs. 5.2 oz.

1 mg/l = 0.00378 gms./ gal.

2000 mgl ( 0.2 percent or 2 ppt) = 0.00378 X 2000 = 7.56 gms./ gal.

500 gal. x 7.56 gms. = 3,780 gms. divided by 454 = 8.326 lbs. or 8 lbs. 5.2 oz.

That is if Bruce does not already have some significant salinity in his water supply. I seem to remember at his original ranch the salinity was already 0.5 percent ( 5000 mg/l or 5 ppt). Was that the case Bruce?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/15/15 07:20 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Here's an awesome little salt meter that I use and have bought for the high school's that raise fish for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOI-MEDIC-DIGITA...=item2ea94e0464

It's $10.00 cheaper on Amazon.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/15/15 07:19 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
We would tread all my uncles tanks with Methylene Blue after we let the fresh water sit over night.

Cheers Don.

I wouldn't reccomend that stuff for other than ornamental fish. I think it's a proven carcinogen too. Really bad news for the biofilter.

I also read somewhere that centrarchids are sensitive to either methylene blue or malachite green. Can't remember which.

And keep in mind many of the chemicals and some antibiotics that are used on ornamental fish, are not approved for use on other species, especally those that will be consumed.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Shorty
500 gallons is a big aquarium, very cool. If you are overwintering RES get a heater and keep the temps above at least 60 degrees. RES are very susceptible to fin rot when water temps drop below 55 degrees.

I think that's true with the whole centrachid family although perhaps moreso with redears. Many fish producers will not seine them in cold water.

From my limited experience stress + coldwater = fungal issues. Stress + warmwater = bacterial issues.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/15/15 07:21 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

From my limited experiece stress + coldwater = fungal issues. Stress + warmwater = bacterial issues.

My exact experience.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

That is if Bruce does not already have some significant salinity in his water supply. I seem to remember at his original ranch the salinity was already 0.5 percent ( 5000 mg/l or 5 ppt). Was that the case Bruce?

I think I was even higher salinity than that!

Come see my setup sometime!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Where did you get a 500 gal aquarium? That is a zoo grade size of aquarium. Is it glass on one side or all 4 sides? Must be thick glass.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/14/15 07:44 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
L
L
Last winter I has an ich infestation in my 110 gallon home aquarium, so I thought I would try using pond salt to help the fish out. The odd problem was I wound up causing the Fluval filter's bacteria to die off. I wound up crashing the aquarium since I introduced the salt too quickly into the system. What should have taken days, I did in a few hours and the biological filter did not like it. I lost many fish from this over a short period, and made matters worse.

I never had heard of this problem before, but the evidence in my tests said my filter did die off. Lots of water changing and re-starting the filter finally settled things down, but it was a mess.

So be careful with your salts and keep the level relatively consistent.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Where did you get a 500 gal aquarium? That is a zoo grade size of aquarium. Is it glass on one side or all 4 sides? Must be thick glass.

It's called a 625 gallon poly tank. wink

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/15/15 09:37 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Last winter I has an ich infestation in my 110 gallon home aquarium, so I thought I would try using pond salt to help the fish out. The odd problem was I wound up causing the Fluval filter's bacteria to die off. I wound up crashing the aquarium since I introduced the salt too quickly into the system. What should have taken days, I did in a few hours and the biological filter did not like it. I lost many fish from this over a short period, and made matters worse.

I never had heard of this problem before, but the evidence in my tests said my filter did die off. Lots of water changing and re-starting the filter finally settled things down, but it was a mess.

Yeah those little critters are sensitive! They don't like drastic salinity, temperature or lighting changes! Interesting thing is if you can hang on to them year around for a few years they become more mature and durable. Used to start the school bacteria over again each year. Took too long. Now I bring the media home at the end of the school year and feed it ammonia or incorporate it in existing systems. Then I schlup it back when school starts again.

On the other hand I have placed up to 4 cubic feet of the plastic media in a large tub without water for a couple of days because I was moving some from the schools, and didn't have a moving bed tank ready, and they were fine when I cranked them back up with water, air, and a little ammonia for food.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/14/15 10:11 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

I think I was even higher salinity than that!

Come see my setup sometime!

Someday I hope. Too many things going on right now. Adding on to the house to put in a Master Spa pool and exercise room. My aquaculture pole building is taking a back seat for a while. frown Just the pool is 28 grand! eek

But the wife needs to exercise for health reasons and swimming is her best option due to joint issues. We swim in one of the ponds but that's only part of the year. She's lost a decent amount of weight but needs regular exercise to go further. Can't say I won't enjoy the pool either! The parents that work out three days a week that live above my garage are excited too. This will prelude driving to workout.

Apparently your system is an RAS? What is your bilogical and mechanical filtration? DIY or turnkey?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/14/15 10:02 PM.

P
P

If you get ich again turn the heat up to 86 degrees and it will get rid of it... I used to have a pet and fish store

L
L
I've tried the 86 to 87 degree thing, but it is a planted aquarium. Some plants don't like it that warm and die back or stall growth. Better option than copper based treatments though.

It doesn't matter much now, my pleco has gotten large and is eating my plants. Time to take him to the pet store for someone with plastic plants.

Last edited by liquidsquid; 09/15/15 05:56 AM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've tried the 86 to 87 degree thing, but it is a planted aquarium. Some plants don't like it that warm and die back or stall growth. Better option than copper based treatments though.

It doesn't matter much now, my pleco has gotten large and is eating my plants. Time to take him to the pet store for someone with plastic plants.

Have you ever considered native fish? Are you familiar with the NANFA website?

Haven't encountered ich yet with my native fish; knock on wood.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/15/15 07:23 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cody Note: Okay that now makes a lot more sense as to what you are doing. "Aquarium" had me thinking aquarium and not a tank. Consider a heater as Shorty suggested to keep temps adequate for growth.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Just a thought on heaters: my systems run from 250 gallons (fish tank, clarifier, and biofilter) to 350 gallons. I use a 1000 watt aquarium heater and thermostat I get off of Ebay or Amazon and they work just fine. So far I've had several for at least three years. Even if they burn out soon I still got a goid bang for my buck IMHO.

One of teachers at a school I supply a system to bought a much more expensive heater from aquatic ecosystems and it was a piece of junk. Was wired by a licensed electrician and stopped working in a short amount of time. No clue what happened but I dropped in an aquarium heater and it just sits there unplugged.

And 1000 watts is a lot of watts, but mine seem to be off much of the time once the temperature reaches a certain level. My thinking is the higher wattage uses less juice vs. a smaller unit that is continuously running. I could be wrong on that though.

Oops looks like they went up just a little since I last bought one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-Watt-Titani...=item35e56b97bf

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/15/15 06:29 PM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I had gotten 50 of the 1500 watt versions of those titanium heaters I'd bought from Aquatic Eco on a package deal...I paid $8ea. Some lasted well, some didn't. One was so well built my grandson almost burned down the house when he plugged it in while it was sitting on a pine end table. There was a haze of smoke and I couldn't find the source....FD used Thermal Imaging to find it...table looked like a cigar was on it and the FD said it was just starting to get flame.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Rex you never live a boring life do you? grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/15/15 07:57 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
Buying LMB
by ArkieJig - 04/18/24 07:48 AM
Braggin Time
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 07:12 AM
No feed HSB or CC small pond?
by Theo Gallus - 04/18/24 06:14 AM
How many LMB to remove?