Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Huntmastr1, Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c
18,538 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,022
Posts558,594
Members18,539
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,607
ewest 21,516
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
8 members (Theo Gallus, Bill Douglas, Fishingadventure, Tinylake, catscratch, Champ59, Sunil, Knobber), 977 guests, and 376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I thought I might tell you of my pond stocking of a possible trophy lmb pond. So, I built this 3.5 acre pond back in Nov of 14 and after some researching I decided to do a stocking of 30 to 1 of forage cnbg and res. I also did 10,000 tfs and about 1500 1/3rd " crawfish. And I added 5 lbs of Tilapia in the 4 to 6" size or about 25 fish, and now I see at least a thousand of 4 to 6"er's, along with 120 lbs of FHM's. And then the spawning took place, lots and lots of forage fish to feed the lmb. Did I mention the Bull frogs that have taken up residency here? Forage frogs, yep !! I was looking for fast growth lmb reaching for those double digit fish. Will this past week I started to fish for an lmb to sample and record. Will, I am a pretty good lmb fisherman, and have won some pretty big fishing tournaments and won a boat at one tournament. So, I can fish, but not at my place, can't buy an lmb at my place smile I see where Bill Cody talk's of using night crawlers for lmb fishing, but what true BASS Fisher uses night crawlers for bait? That is cheating smile I might have to give a try smile Thanks Bill for your post on the other thread here.

Tracy

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 09/09/15 07:27 AM. Reason: additions

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
P
P
TRACY
Sounds like they to well fed to bite something not real. I feel your pain. When there is no one looking slip some live bait on and see what happens.. Lol

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
4 inch BG free lined. That always works; well, not always.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Tracy, welcome to the wonderful world of a 30 to 1 stocking rate. The thing you have to separate is sport fishing from assessment. Like you, I always use artificials when I'm sport fishing my big pond, but readily admit that live bait can be much better(read quicker) for assessment, and looked at as a management tool, and not recreation.

The really, really good thing is that if they're hard to catch, that means those babies are eating, and probably eating really well.

I'm really anxious to see where your pond is in a year or two. Your upside should be tremendous.

AL

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It's impossible to catch yellow perch or bluegill in my pond unless it's close to feeding time. Ask Scott, Fatih, or Keith!

My really large trophy bluegill have to be seined to get a consistent number to sell.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/09/15 09:07 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yup I'm right there with you guys. My large BG get smart pretty quick! If I don't catch em in a frenzy I may not catch them at all.

I also have same problem with my LMB, but I can almost always get a bite or 2 with a 3 inch BG on the hook and a bobber about 2 feet up!

You may have to do this just to see what you got going!! I also have good success with a 4 inch plastic floating worm just kinda twitch it along!! I have caught some nice ones that way!!

RC

Show pics when you catch them I want to see these LMB!!!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Even the HBG, with their supposed "always on" feeding response clam up tight after a few C&R episodes. No one said having a fed pond meant easy catching, but it's funny how the general angling public still equates it to shooting fish in a barrel.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
P
P
Sparkie do like Shorty suggested, wedge a pellet of fish food in the bend of a hook and hold on- that's catching fish in a barrel

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Believe it or not I have done that also and it does catch more fish but if a bobber is present larger BG will not touch it! I have to chunk it without a bobber to catch any bigger ones! I even tried using the small ice fishing bobbers and still no go sometimes. They are not stupid that's for sure!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Even the HBG, with their supposed "always on" feeding response clam up tight after a few C&R episodes. No one said having a fed pond meant easy catching, but it's funny how the general angling public still equates it to shooting fish in a barrel.

Spark you got that right! Here I thought when I bought my place I was gonna catch fish whenever I felt like it! Ha,ha!! NOT!! At first I did sure cause they were starving! But after I got feed going and BG spawning for the bass things got harder and harder! Heck I can catch fish on public waters easier then in my own pond!! smile

RC

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
To be honest I'm leery of using pellets, artificial or real, to catch my fish. I want them to readily consume the feed, not begin to associate it with getting yanked out of the water. I have no evidence that this happens, and I understand the need to evaluate the population, but I have seen with my own eyes how acclimated fish can become to a previously "hot" lure or bait, and start avoiding it like the plague. I'm sure there will always be eager biters, caught over and over again, but I'm not willing to chance it.

I'm in the "fish absolutely learn", camp.....

F
F
Well this is not sounding good at all.Maybe we shouldn't feed our fish. Or maybe fatten them up for about 2 years and then cut the food off making them easier to catch.What is the big deal of trophy fish if they won't bite?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

No, say it ain't so! You mean that they can tell the difference between an AM500 and an AM600 pellet? wink

I caught a bunch of BG in a local lake a number of years ago on a white twister tail. The BG in that lake just hammered it every time I used it. I put a number of those fish in my pond after I had a winterkill right after I purchased this place. Guess what? Yep. I couldn't catch them in this pond on that same lure.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Flame
Well this is not sounding good at all.Maybe we shouldn't feed our fish. Or maybe fatten them up for about 2 years and then cut the food off making them easier to catch.What is the big deal of trophy fish if they won't bite?

Tongue in cheek I know. wink

I can't catch LMB in my pond that have been eating AM600 after catching them a few times on imitation pellets. But, after seeing them chase after YP that were feeding on pellets, I caught many on a YP imitation jerk bait.

I've also noticed that the LMB in my pond are easier to catch after a 6 month period of no fishing for them under the ice, than they are to catch in the fall after seeing fishing pressure all spring/summer.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
P
P
They do learn..... I guess if you keep all the ones you catch it wouldn't be a problem unless one of the fishes buds see him get yanked out of the water...

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Flame

That is the philosophical question we have debated here before. Look at it this way; learning how to fool these pellet conditioned fish is part of the challenge. Sure, you may need to explore different techniques, but that's part of the fun. If it were easy to walk out to your pond and have a 15lb LMB or 2lb BG on the end of your line with every cast, then those folks would be right...it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

I believe feeding our fish has helped to make me a better angler. And not just from throwing everything in the tackle bag at them, but also from watching, studying, and learning about them on this forum as well as the magazine. Pond and fish management is a package deal for me, not just a case of following a pre-set formula and reeling in giant fish. It simply doesn't work that way.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: esshup

No, say it ain't so! You mean that they can tell the difference between an AM500 and an AM600 pellet? wink

I caught a bunch of BG in a local lake a number of years ago on a white twister tail. The BG in that lake just hammered it every time I used it. I put a number of those fish in my pond after I had a winterkill right after I purchased this place. Guess what? Yep. I couldn't catch them in this pond on that same lure.

You of all people know they can.. grin I have some very particular fish. Standard practice is to feed by hand, once during the evening. I'm normally alone, and since I've been working I'm still wearing my grungy clothes. A couple years after starting the program I began to notice a pattern regarding feeding behavior. Even after ruling out as many environmental factors as I could identify, there was still an issue in play somewhere.

I finally figured out that the fish showed a markedly reduced feeding response when I had someone with me while feeding. I normally feed alone, and I'm quiet. When I had company there was not only an added body, there was also conversation. They don't like that.

The second issue is even more bizarre. I swear they prefer me in darker clothes such as what I wear to work. If I'm wearing light colored shirts, they shy away from the floating feed somewhat. They still eat, but I can see a difference. I put that one down to having good water clarity for much of the season. It sounds crazy, but I don't think I'm imagining it. confused

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
It's impossible to catch yellow perch or bluegill in my pond unless it's close to feeding time. Ask Scott, Fatih, or Keith!

Funny, but true wink

However, after visiting and fishing Fireishot's pond, he turned me on to using a Fluke which has now been the go-to bait fishing the LMB in my pond. And it's currently out-catching every other bait I've used. And I say currently because I know they'll get smart to it, as they have others.

This is what makes it such a fun challenge!

So Tracy, don't give up!

On Saturday I pulled out a 16" 2.75lb (122%), 16.5" 3.25lb (128%) and a pond-record 20.5" 4.25lb (.84%) LMB, all using a Fluke like the one pictured, but since I lost that one on the first catch and it was my last of that color, I put on a salt & pepper colored Fluke and pulled in the last two.

Special thanks to Al (Fireishot) on recommending the Fluke!!!

And on Esshup's pond, I was able to catch 3 LMB, all over 4 lbs on a Chatterbait, but have yet to catch one in my pond with one. Oh, and Scott, that Chatterbait may still be hanging on a tree branch on the island smile .

I'm sure like most, I have an arsenal of baits and tackle that I go through, for the sake of learning to use them, gaining confidence in them, and that one of them may just be the one they're going to hit on,,,,,, that day smile .

But as with everyone's experiences, each pond can be so different with what works. And like I've read on this forum, if you want to know how big the fish are in your pond, invite someone out who's not fished it!

Hang in there, Tracy and dig out that arsenal of baits!

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 09/09/15 03:56 PM.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah the fluke worked good on my pond too at first! Now I hardly ever get a bite on it! Except smaller bass that don't know no better....

lol

RC

P
P
It's a shame that the fish are outsmarting us. Guess gonna have to resort to dynomite... Or something. Guess that's y there is so many new baits on the market

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Well it's like one said above you got to start keeping some of them so the new ones can grow up and they don't know any better.

C.

Originally Posted By: TGW1
I see where Bill Cody talk's of using night crawlers for lmb fishing, but what true BASS Fisher uses night crawlers for bait? That is cheating smile .....

Tracy

Guess I need to take that walk of shame. I have only fished with live bait (if chicken liver counts too) in my pond and it works great!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I don't use a sling and a stone while squirrel hunting, but I also don't consider my use of a firearm to be cheating. I suppose it's a matter of perspective.

I agree with Pat W. and Al (fireishot) with regards to fishing live bait. If I really really want to catch and eat fish, I fish with live bait. If I want to sport fish, I gravitate towards artificial...but I like hooking up either way. Ain't no shame in my game. I'll catch'em if I can find what they want...sometimes, that's the hard part. I've caught every thing in my pond except the CB LMB, but I don't worry about it. I still have too many FHM, Gambusia's, GSF YOY, and BG YOY. Time will tell. I'd just like to see the growth rate since I introduced them on May 31st.
Charlie

...when in doubt...set the hook...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
FWIW, I talked to my neighbor today. He said he lost a CC in my pond that was so big he could have fit his fist in it's mouth. The hook pulled out just as he got it to shore.

The bait?

A red and white #4 mepps spinner.............

Lovinlivin, I'll have to check the tree on the island. wink

Tony, yep, you are correct. I was really surprised that the fish wouldn't eat AM600 with AM500 floating in the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
For some reason, pumpkinseed colored worms work 5 times better than any other soft plastic and 20 times better than any hard plastic I use

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
This is what I'm gonna start throwing this fall when the water hits about 60-65 degrees. I think this little jewel will catch LMB right around tilapia die off time.

The Game Changer

AL

B
B
That fluke looks a lot like the go to lure I used for LMB when stationed in NC...Crawdad colored culprit worm. Always worked for me...

Sean

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
This is what I'm gonna start throwing this fall when the water hits about 60-65 degrees. I think this little jewel will catch LMB right around tilapia die off time.

The Game Changer

Al, that is amazingly realistic.

Tony, isn't it though? I'm ordering solid white ones, and use Marks-a-lot for the coloring. I can't wait.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Al, where are you ordering them from? I purchased a one or two when I was in Tailwaters, but I could use a few more white ones to color.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

All this fishing talk, and I went ahead and ordered mine at The Fly Fishers, Inc.

https://www.theflyfishers.com/P/2056/Gamechanger

There out there a little cheaper if you look, but I've shopped with this place. The EP flies they carry are great too.

AL

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Guys, I am happy u guys were here to reply with some suggestions, reducing my frustration (hoping)
Charlie, as Bro's here, who stocked Overton's CBLMB around the same time, I am like u said. I just want to look at a couple of them, I do not want to start teaching them how not to bite artificial smile

Lovnliven, watermelon flukes rule smile and I have a BPS close by for renewal of my arsenal. $$$ lol
Djustauder, pumpkin seed was the first color of grub I threw.
Al, thanks for posting the swim bait that will be fished on my 4 wt fly rod. That may also work on the soon to be stocked, George G's. HSB ( Sorry but I did not want to misspell George's last name). I am a terrible speller. His name will live on @ my pond, his fish will be there smile And tell me of the EP fly smile Oh carp !! never mind al, I found the site and now I am looking at a larger arsenal of baits, ha just what I needed smile

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 09/11/15 06:40 AM. Reason: additions

Tracy
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Time for a new fly rod. The 4 wt is too light for that fly. I'd be looking at a TFO Mini-Mag 8-10 kit.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks essup, I have 3 other fly rods a 5 wt., an 8 wt and a 9 wt, and I am not all that good with any of them lol, I am not familiar with the rod u suggest, I will give it a look see.

Thanks

Tracy

Tracy
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tracy, you might be a pond junkie if.......

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Dave, it's nice to have a place to come to when we are looking for a better drug, doesn't get any better than visiting with others pond junkies like you and essup and ewest and Bill C to mention just a few. And snrub and pat and TJ and Bill D and Al and and...

Tracy

Tracy
P
P
Whose a junkie? We just interested. Lol.... Well .... You right

P
P
At pond right now and saw the strangest thing, threw some pellets in the shallows trying to teach the cc to eat the food off the surface and noticed some LMB eating the pellets alongside the CNBG. Is that normal for LMB to train themselves?

The bass is 8" long

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 09/13/15 04:06 PM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah, it happens but they seldom stay with it.

Originally Posted By: TGW1
Guys, I am happy u guys were here to reply with some suggestions, reducing my frustration (hoping)
Charlie, as Bro's here, who stocked Overton's CBLMB around the same time, I am like u said. I just want to look at a couple of them, I do not want to start teaching them how not to bite artificial.

Tracy,
...had another scratch weekend at my place with the CB LMB. I threw a 5" finesse "bullfrog" (color) plastic worm and a 4" fluke (watermelon red flake). Had some equipment issues and cut my brief fishing trip short...oh well. Who's a pond junkie? ...hell, I'm just jonesin' for a hook-up...but, I think I still have way too much bait available for them to eat to hit what I'm throwin'...

At feeding time, my CC and BC swim on the surface sucking up floating pellets like a vacuum cleaner...it's interesting to watch...
Charlie

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Charlie I tried a 4" watermelon French fry= Nata a thing lol but the cnbg had a ball pecking at it.

Tracy

Tracy
Todd came up yesterday and dropped another 50# of 1"-2" tilapia in our brood pond. Tracy, I threw a small rapala out this morning, (the CBLMB's normal artificial of choice), and my CBLMB just laughed. My little cannibal's are getting fat.

AL

R
RER Offline
R
will your tilapia over winter in your brood pond? You have the LMB in your brood pond?

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Bobby, the mozambique tilapia will not survive the winter up here in North TX. We usually get about 8 months out of them, and they are the best bang for the buck forage wise, as I've ever seen. I ultimately stocked 30 pounds per acre, so 300 pounds, and I can't wait for the water to start hitting the mid 60's. The LMB feeding is just epic.

I put 25 of Overton's 5"-7" yoy LMB in my brood pond on July the 9th. This pond had been seined 4 times with a 1/2" net, and all that was basically left were fry. I also added 20 pounds of rosey reds at that time. These fish have been eating nonstop, and were impossible to catch. This week, I started catching them, so 50# of 1"-3" tilapia was stocked. To me, when a LMB starts hitting artificials in a hyper-foraged small pond, the fish are telling me something.

This morning, I couldn't catch anything, and that's what I wanted.

These fish were going to be transferred to the big pond when they changed from forage to predators and hit 12", but that plan has changed. I'll wait to say where they're at size wise right now, but I was very surprised.

Afterthought. Tony, if you read this, I did seine up what I believe to be first generation GSF X OTSCNBG. I saved them, and threw them back in the brood pond. Let's see how they turn out.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 09/23/15 06:18 PM.

AL

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Al, I did get a couple of my Overton's CBLMB to follow a small black beatle spin up to the shoreline, and so a got a little look @ a couple of them. It has been the only artificial that got any attention as far as I could tell. And the Tilapia OMG, forage is an understatement. I added 25 4 to 6" Tp back around April 1 and today there are a least 600 to 800 up to 12" and when I ran a minnow trap a couple weeks ago it was full of 1/2" tilapia in just 30 min. They were added when I had no predators in the pond. They hog the feeders. But now that my lmb are getting some 12" in size, I am looking forward to watch the lmb get fatter when the water cools, I am thinking late Nov. Al, does late Nov sound about the right time when the water cools down here in our area of Texas?

Tracy

Tracy
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Bobby, the mozambique tilapia will not survive the winter up here in North TX. We usually get about 8 months out of them, and they are the best bang for the buck forage wise, as I've ever seen. I ultimately stocked 30 pounds per acre, so 300 pounds, and I can't wait for the water to start hitting the mid 60's. The LMB feeding is just epic.

I put 25 of Overton's 5"-7" yoy LMB in my brood pond on July the 9th. This pond had been seined 4 times with a 1/2" net, and all that was basically left were fry. I also added 20 pounds of rosey reds at that time. These fish have been eating nonstop, and were impossible to catch. This week, I started catching them, so 50# of 1"-3" tilapia was stocked. To me, when a LMB starts hitting artificials in a hyper-foraged small pond, the fish are telling me something.

This morning, I couldn't catch anything, and that's what I wanted.

These fish were going to be transferred to the big pond when they changed from forage to predators and hit 12", but that plan has changed. I'll wait to say where they're at size wise right now, but I was very surprised.

Afterthought. Tony, if you read this, I did seine up what I believe to be first generation GSF X OTSCNBG. I saved them, and threw them back in the brood pond. Let's see how they turn out.

Did you get any photos of those hybrids, Al? Looking forward to hearing about the seining results also!

Tracy, I think of the safe tilapia date's as April 1st to Oct 31st, and then look at any November dates as a bonus. I do think ours were still around in mid to late November last year, but I just can't remember. I just can't imagine how many thousands of tilapia you have with the timing of your stocking.

Tony, as per usual no camera, or empty dry hand. I do need to update the brood pond thread, because that little pond turned out tons of fish this year. I pushed it as hard as I felt comfortable doing, including using weekly water changes to keep things fresher.

This pond again had a mix of GSF and the CNBG, but the spring seine was the first time I had seen any GSF markings and color in any of this generation of CNBG. Some were too small for me to sex accurately. I think the next seining, which should be right around the middle of November should really tell the tell.

Tony, since you're a hybrid guy, let me ask you this... Are those hybrids going to bully my other fish and leave them hiding in a dark weedy corner of the brood pond? Is this gonna be like Sharknado with rabid leaping hybrids biting us when we get close to the shore? Should I arm myself?

AL

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'll just say this: HBG are extremely aggressive, and very hardy. On cool mornings when the dew is heavy, HBG have been observed leaping from the water into those grassy areas bordering their ponds in order to move about and forage on grasshoppers that are still to cold and wet to move quickly. It's a frightening thing to witness.

Given the fact that these are OTSCNBG, and we're dealing with Texas grasshoppers which are undoubtedly of a larger size, I fear the worst.

Walk the shoreline with care, my friend.

Oh that's just great. First I hijack Tracy's thread, and now what I feared the worst may actually happen. I still have 5-6 Conibear 330's laying around. Maybe I'll bait each of them with a 4 pound chuck roast and see what happens.

AL

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
wink

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Al airborne hybrids aren't scared of steel traps. All the traps will do is slow you down as you try to escape the attack.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
You can't escape hybrageddon.

Great, just great. Now I have that to worry about.

AL

T
T
A friend of mine gave me one of these wobble heads to try.....my bass hit these things so hard I am going to buy somemore. Got it hung up yesterday.......no way I was loosing this thing. I went swimming.

Tbar, I have several of those swimming spoons. You're right, they're great!

AL

K
K
Al, where can you buy those swimming spoons? They would work great in tidal water. Looks like a eel coming through the water.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Let me look. I thought the one's I have are Lindy's, but I'll check.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Looks almost like a pipe clamp strap cut in half with a hook soldered to it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

K
K
I have several large ones that are used on striped bass but they are very large and a booger to throw. They work on large bass well but in my shape, I can not use them now. The smaller ones will work great where there are eels. Bass hate eels worse then anything in this area. Bait stores sell live eels here and they work great on bass and all cats.

T
T
Originally Posted By: kenc
Al, where can you buy those swimming spoons? They would work great in tidal water. Looks like a eel coming through the water.

I just ordered somemore.

http://wobbleheadlures.com

Tbar thanks for the link. The ones I found here were more like spoons. Either way, the wobble heads are really nice in clearer water when you want some movement, but not a lot of noise.

I bet that wobblehead/boot tail combo really has some great action.

AL

K
K
Thanks,Tbar and Al. The baby eels come into tidal water in the spring and that will be a crackerjack bait then.

This is the first CB LMB that I've caught since stocking back on May 29th at 2 1/4" long. It was caught on a 4 1/2" baby bass colored fluke with metal flake. This CB LMB was 10 3/4" long in just shy of 4 months. The LMB is pale, but had a distinct turquoise blue spot on top of it's head between her eyes. I thought this was an incredible growth rate in less than four months.

I've noticed an incredible decrease in the amount of FHM, Gambusia, and Golden Shiners in my BOW as of late. I feel at that rate, they may be gone by winter time.

P
P
Good job Charlie, nice when the plan works

T
T
I had a blast this morning......caught and brought in 7 bass and had 3 throw the hook. Unfortunately I lost the only wooble head I had. Can't wait for my internet order to come in.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
TBAR, good looking fish. I guess I'll have to buy some wobble heads. Of course, in my 9 tackle boxes, they might hard to find.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 09/29/15 05:14 AM.

Tracy, here's one of my 12" yoy that were stocked on July 9th. She was sample seined and put back because I still haven't been able to catch one out of the grow out pond. I'm thinking an early December date is when they'll ultimately make it to the public pool.

AL

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Al, that is a Good Looking 12" lmb. I remember when you and I first met @ the PBC and in our discussion of doing heavy (large stocking) rates of forage fish to lmb. We talked of how it might be harder to catch a lmb when all they had to do was turn their head to eat. I am guessing that is what you may be experiencing in your forage pond. I am sure that is my experience. Keep them growing Al smile

Tracy

Tracy
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
curly leaf infestation
by Knobber - 05/21/24 02:21 PM
I think I killed all my fish
by WiYeti - 05/21/24 01:57 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 05/21/24 01:08 PM
Help,BG Dying, 1 a day
by Champ59 - 05/21/24 11:30 AM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by etx-pond-c - 05/21/24 09:30 AM
Fish Finder?
by catscratch - 05/21/24 07:28 AM
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by Willy Wonka - 05/21/24 03:35 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification