Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,989
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (Sunil, phinfan, teehjaeh57), 1,142 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
For some reason, pumpkinseed colored worms work 5 times better than any other soft plastic and 20 times better than any hard plastic I use

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
This is what I'm gonna start throwing this fall when the water hits about 60-65 degrees. I think this little jewel will catch LMB right around tilapia die off time.

The Game Changer

AL

B
B
That fluke looks a lot like the go to lure I used for LMB when stationed in NC...Crawdad colored culprit worm. Always worked for me...

Sean

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
This is what I'm gonna start throwing this fall when the water hits about 60-65 degrees. I think this little jewel will catch LMB right around tilapia die off time.

The Game Changer

Al, that is amazingly realistic.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Tony, isn't it though? I'm ordering solid white ones, and use Marks-a-lot for the coloring. I can't wait.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Al, where are you ordering them from? I purchased a one or two when I was in Tailwaters, but I could use a few more white ones to color.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
All this fishing talk, and I went ahead and ordered mine at The Fly Fishers, Inc.

https://www.theflyfishers.com/P/2056/Gamechanger

There out there a little cheaper if you look, but I've shopped with this place. The EP flies they carry are great too.

AL

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Guys, I am happy u guys were here to reply with some suggestions, reducing my frustration (hoping)
Charlie, as Bro's here, who stocked Overton's CBLMB around the same time, I am like u said. I just want to look at a couple of them, I do not want to start teaching them how not to bite artificial smile

Lovnliven, watermelon flukes rule smile and I have a BPS close by for renewal of my arsenal. $$$ lol
Djustauder, pumpkin seed was the first color of grub I threw.
Al, thanks for posting the swim bait that will be fished on my 4 wt fly rod. That may also work on the soon to be stocked, George G's. HSB ( Sorry but I did not want to misspell George's last name). I am a terrible speller. His name will live on @ my pond, his fish will be there smile And tell me of the EP fly smile Oh carp !! never mind al, I found the site and now I am looking at a larger arsenal of baits, ha just what I needed smile

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 09/11/15 06:40 AM. Reason: additions

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Time for a new fly rod. The 4 wt is too light for that fly. I'd be looking at a TFO Mini-Mag 8-10 kit.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks essup, I have 3 other fly rods a 5 wt., an 8 wt and a 9 wt, and I am not all that good with any of them lol, I am not familiar with the rod u suggest, I will give it a look see.

Thanks

Tracy

Tracy
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tracy, you might be a pond junkie if.......

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Dave, it's nice to have a place to come to when we are looking for a better drug, doesn't get any better than visiting with others pond junkies like you and essup and ewest and Bill C to mention just a few. And snrub and pat and TJ and Bill D and Al and and...

Tracy

Tracy
P
P
Whose a junkie? We just interested. Lol.... Well .... You right

P
P
At pond right now and saw the strangest thing, threw some pellets in the shallows trying to teach the cc to eat the food off the surface and noticed some LMB eating the pellets alongside the CNBG. Is that normal for LMB to train themselves?

The bass is 8" long

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 09/13/15 04:06 PM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah, it happens but they seldom stay with it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Guys, I am happy u guys were here to reply with some suggestions, reducing my frustration (hoping)
Charlie, as Bro's here, who stocked Overton's CBLMB around the same time, I am like u said. I just want to look at a couple of them, I do not want to start teaching them how not to bite artificial.

Tracy,
...had another scratch weekend at my place with the CB LMB. I threw a 5" finesse "bullfrog" (color) plastic worm and a 4" fluke (watermelon red flake). Had some equipment issues and cut my brief fishing trip short...oh well. Who's a pond junkie? ...hell, I'm just jonesin' for a hook-up...but, I think I still have way too much bait available for them to eat to hit what I'm throwin'...

At feeding time, my CC and BC swim on the surface sucking up floating pellets like a vacuum cleaner...it's interesting to watch...
Charlie

...when in doubt...set the hook...
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Charlie I tried a 4" watermelon French fry= Nata a thing lol but the cnbg had a ball pecking at it.

Tracy

Tracy
Todd came up yesterday and dropped another 50# of 1"-2" tilapia in our brood pond. Tracy, I threw a small rapala out this morning, (the CBLMB's normal artificial of choice), and my CBLMB just laughed. My little cannibal's are getting fat.

AL

R
RER Offline
R
will your tilapia over winter in your brood pond? You have the LMB in your brood pond?

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Bobby, the mozambique tilapia will not survive the winter up here in North TX. We usually get about 8 months out of them, and they are the best bang for the buck forage wise, as I've ever seen. I ultimately stocked 30 pounds per acre, so 300 pounds, and I can't wait for the water to start hitting the mid 60's. The LMB feeding is just epic.

I put 25 of Overton's 5"-7" yoy LMB in my brood pond on July the 9th. This pond had been seined 4 times with a 1/2" net, and all that was basically left were fry. I also added 20 pounds of rosey reds at that time. These fish have been eating nonstop, and were impossible to catch. This week, I started catching them, so 50# of 1"-3" tilapia was stocked. To me, when a LMB starts hitting artificials in a hyper-foraged small pond, the fish are telling me something.

This morning, I couldn't catch anything, and that's what I wanted.

These fish were going to be transferred to the big pond when they changed from forage to predators and hit 12", but that plan has changed. I'll wait to say where they're at size wise right now, but I was very surprised.

Afterthought. Tony, if you read this, I did seine up what I believe to be first generation GSF X OTSCNBG. I saved them, and threw them back in the brood pond. Let's see how they turn out.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 09/23/15 06:18 PM.

AL

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Al, I did get a couple of my Overton's CBLMB to follow a small black beatle spin up to the shoreline, and so a got a little look @ a couple of them. It has been the only artificial that got any attention as far as I could tell. And the Tilapia OMG, forage is an understatement. I added 25 4 to 6" Tp back around April 1 and today there are a least 600 to 800 up to 12" and when I ran a minnow trap a couple weeks ago it was full of 1/2" tilapia in just 30 min. They were added when I had no predators in the pond. They hog the feeders. But now that my lmb are getting some 12" in size, I am looking forward to watch the lmb get fatter when the water cools, I am thinking late Nov. Al, does late Nov sound about the right time when the water cools down here in our area of Texas?

Tracy

Tracy
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Bobby, the mozambique tilapia will not survive the winter up here in North TX. We usually get about 8 months out of them, and they are the best bang for the buck forage wise, as I've ever seen. I ultimately stocked 30 pounds per acre, so 300 pounds, and I can't wait for the water to start hitting the mid 60's. The LMB feeding is just epic.

I put 25 of Overton's 5"-7" yoy LMB in my brood pond on July the 9th. This pond had been seined 4 times with a 1/2" net, and all that was basically left were fry. I also added 20 pounds of rosey reds at that time. These fish have been eating nonstop, and were impossible to catch. This week, I started catching them, so 50# of 1"-3" tilapia was stocked. To me, when a LMB starts hitting artificials in a hyper-foraged small pond, the fish are telling me something.

This morning, I couldn't catch anything, and that's what I wanted.

These fish were going to be transferred to the big pond when they changed from forage to predators and hit 12", but that plan has changed. I'll wait to say where they're at size wise right now, but I was very surprised.

Afterthought. Tony, if you read this, I did seine up what I believe to be first generation GSF X OTSCNBG. I saved them, and threw them back in the brood pond. Let's see how they turn out.

Did you get any photos of those hybrids, Al? Looking forward to hearing about the seining results also!

Tracy, I think of the safe tilapia date's as April 1st to Oct 31st, and then look at any November dates as a bonus. I do think ours were still around in mid to late November last year, but I just can't remember. I just can't imagine how many thousands of tilapia you have with the timing of your stocking.

Tony, as per usual no camera, or empty dry hand. I do need to update the brood pond thread, because that little pond turned out tons of fish this year. I pushed it as hard as I felt comfortable doing, including using weekly water changes to keep things fresher.

This pond again had a mix of GSF and the CNBG, but the spring seine was the first time I had seen any GSF markings and color in any of this generation of CNBG. Some were too small for me to sex accurately. I think the next seining, which should be right around the middle of November should really tell the tell.

Tony, since you're a hybrid guy, let me ask you this... Are those hybrids going to bully my other fish and leave them hiding in a dark weedy corner of the brood pond? Is this gonna be like Sharknado with rabid leaping hybrids biting us when we get close to the shore? Should I arm myself?

AL

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'll just say this: HBG are extremely aggressive, and very hardy. On cool mornings when the dew is heavy, HBG have been observed leaping from the water into those grassy areas bordering their ponds in order to move about and forage on grasshoppers that are still to cold and wet to move quickly. It's a frightening thing to witness.

Given the fact that these are OTSCNBG, and we're dealing with Texas grasshoppers which are undoubtedly of a larger size, I fear the worst.

Walk the shoreline with care, my friend.

Oh that's just great. First I hijack Tracy's thread, and now what I feared the worst may actually happen. I still have 5-6 Conibear 330's laying around. Maybe I'll bait each of them with a 4 pound chuck roast and see what happens.

AL

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves