Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,808
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
13 members (catscratch, TLL, BCR Pond, Theeck, Sunil, Justin W, Amhano8r, Steve Clubb, Terry Battisti, Donatello, GunBoss, Fishingadventure, FishinRod), 1,090 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#421163 08/17/15 08:58 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My feed dealer that runs 4 feed mills has been told they have either have had their feed dealership agreement revoked or threatened to because they don't buy enough of their product. You have to wonder who's running the ship at Purina Mills and if they just want to run the ship aground.

What a way to run a business!

The person that places my orders said she won't shed a tear as they haven't seen a feed rep from them in years. She's never been impressed with their dealer and customer relations. But then neither have I and a lot of others I talk to.

I needed about 50 lbs. of fry size feed as I'm feeding quite a few more tilapia and bluegill fry this year than I anticipated. Been getting 10 lbs. at a time from Allied Aqua in Missouri but shipping gets to be a deal killer when you get up to 40 or 50 lbs.

I have a source of a different brand but it will take some driving.

Just thought I'd pass this along as there could be another hiccup in the supply chain! Sounds like the management is counting beans and shooting themselves in the foot!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/17/15 09:47 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Seems like nowdays the personal dealings have evaporated form MANY businesses. I love when ya try to get ahold of a company and after 5 minutes of their opportunities to be transferred to another computer that will ultimately let you speak to a person you are told your call is "important" to them and please hold for the next available representative. After anywhere form a minute to 24 or so someone does answer and usually doesn't know their arse form a hole in the ground or if they have to transfer you to someone who does it takes another 1/4 hr to get them and they usually can't speak English.
Ok, that was my rant for the day, I feel better. Now I'm gonna go kill some tree rats.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I love the press one for English, press two for Spansh, then 3, or 4, or on up to 8 or so for the other options! Not!

And with some companies it takes days to get an email response!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/17/15 12:05 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Since the cell phone was updated with the lollipop software (Samsung) I have not had signal at the house. I got Verizon to get me a signal extender that made using the cell phone in the house possible. Well, the extender lasted for 2 weeks then quit working. I spent about a whole day with them on the land line talking to someone at tech, and they decided that a new extender was the answer.

Got it, installed it and it doesn't work either. ANOTHER 1/2 day on the phone and they pushed it over to the Engineering dept. I told them to call the land line.

This weekend I've had 5 calls to the cell phone from Verizon, and when I tried calling the number back from the land line it says that the number is no longer in use.

My only other option is AT&T, and with 5 weeks to go on the orig. Verizon contract, that'd be a $350 hit to get out of the contract.....

Even so I got a trial AT&T phone to check signal. 3 bars until I turned on the road that leads to the house. 2 bars. Pull in the driveway, 2 bars. Still marginal. Get right outside the house, 1 bar. Go inside, 1 bar.

I'm about to give up.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Trouble is they know we really need these services and there are so few options they really don't give a damn. Dang it Scott, thought I was done ventin.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I won't even start on the lack of competition of the two major shippers in the country!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Since the cell phone was updated with the lollipop software (Samsung) I have not had signal at the house. I got Verizon to get me a signal extender that made using the cell phone in the house possible. Well, the extender lasted for 2 weeks then quit working. I spent about a whole day with them on the land line talking to someone at tech, and they decided that a new extender was the answer.

Got it, installed it and it doesn't work either. ANOTHER 1/2 day on the phone and they pushed it over to the Engineering dept. I told them to call the land line.

This weekend I've had 5 calls to the cell phone from Verizon, and when I tried calling the number back from the land line it says that the number is no longer in use.

My only other option is AT&T, and with 5 weeks to go on the orig. Verizon contract, that'd be a $350 hit to get out of the contract.....

Even so I got a trial AT&T phone to check signal. 3 bars until I turned on the road that leads to the house. 2 bars. Pull in the driveway, 2 bars. Still marginal. Get right outside the house, 1 bar. Go inside, 1 bar.

I'm about to give up.

The problem is ya live in Redneck country like me!

Seriously I feel for ya. I hope you get it resolved without additional expense and more wasted time.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Well I guess I am getting a 50 lb. bag of Aquamax after all. blush Will pick it up from a very generous fish farm over in Ohio and get it at an excellent price. wink

Steve Heitman of Shelby Fish Farm you da man! smile

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/17/15 02:26 PM.

B
B
Cecil, thought Shelby Fish Farm had free shipping on their products which included food. They ship quick too, was quite pleased with them. When I start feeding more heavily I will probably use them as the source.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Ben Adducchio
Cecil, thought Shelby Fish Farm had free shipping on their products which included food. They ship quick too, was quite pleased with them. When I start feeding more heavily I will probably use them as the source.

Yeah but the price is a lot higher for a fifty pound bag and "free shipping." Try over $100.00. Not Shelby Farms' fault though. Shipping something of that size and weight is not cheap.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

I'm about to give up.

Lollipop, really, really, really sucks!!! That got installed on my Nexus 7 and I've wanted to bounce that sucker off a few concrete walls, but have an Otter Box on it, and the dang thing wasn't cheap cry Hopefully, they may come out with something new and improved, but don't bet on it wink

Windows 10 was to be the fix-all for all of our Rockwell Software laugh wink

I'm sorry if you guy's are not familiar with Rockwell or Siemens software/products, but this basically runs the infrastructure of our country and others as well, as well as aircraft.

Big problem is they went with Microsoft as an OS quite a while ago, but Microsoft don't give a crap anymore and windows 10 was supposed to be the fig leaf collaboration between the stuff that actually runs the world and the crap that's corrupting your grade school child by teaching them that everything they ever need is available with a monthly subscription on a device.

All of our customers run MS OS, so if we change on this, they have to, and it would be a huge expense.

All I can say is it sucks at times.

B
B
Originally Posted By: JKB
I'm sorry if you guy's are not familiar with Rockwell or Siemens software/products, but this basically runs the infrastructure of our country and others as well, as well as aircraft.

It is the software that currently runs it, that is until a conficker variant crashes it b/c as a country we don't take critical infrastructure seriously

B
B
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Yeah but the price is a lot higher for a fifty pound bag and "free shipping." Try over $100.00. Not Shelby Farms' fault though. Shipping something of that size and weight is not cheap.

Good to know and makes sense. I have not bought any 50lb bags of AquaMax (or even close to that amount), roughly how much would one expect to pay for a 50lb bag?

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: JKB

I'm about to give up.

Lollipop, really, really, really sucks!!! That got installed on my Nexus 7 and I've wanted to bounce that sucker off a few concrete walls, but have an Otter Box on it, and the dang thing wasn't cheap cry Hopefully, they may come out with something new and improved, but don't bet on it wink

Windows 10 was to be the fix-all for all of our Rockwell Software laugh wink

Big problem is they went with Microsoft as an OS quite a while ago, but Microsoft don't give a crap anymore and windows 10 was supposed to be the fig leaf collaboration between the stuff that actually runs the world and the crap that's corrupting your grade school child by teaching them that everything they ever need is available with a monthly subscription on a device.

All of our customers run MS OS, so if we change on this, they have to, and it would be a huge expense.

All I can say is it sucks at times.

I have not downloaded Windows 10, and have no intention to for a while either.

As for Google's Lollipop, to say it sux $#!&, would be a compliment. I use an LG G3 and it auto loaded...HATED it! 2 days later, I broke the LCD and had to get another phone right away since I was on a delivery run, and locations were in my now unreadable phone. Loaded the info on the new phone and blocked the Lollipop update. Now, all I need to do is wait till it tries to install and force the app to stop....a small PITA, but worth it to avoid Lollipoop! I put on a new LCD and glass myself on the original phone...only $65 for new parts.

Scott, the early termination with 5 weeks left would be about $110-$120..it's prorated at $10/month after 3 months, and back-dated. I hate I know that, but after going 15 years without damaging a phone, I went through 7 in a few months. Verizon worker told me to get new contracts, switch my phone number, and then terminate the old contract. At first, I thought paying $350 was insane, till he said, Okay, full price on my phone is $899....

Last edited by Rainman; 08/17/15 10:24 PM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R

I take Steve at Shelby Fish Farm a lot of fish...he's a good guy!

D
D
Good to know and makes sense. I have not bought any 50lb bags of AquaMax (or even close to that amount), roughly how much would one expect to pay for a 50lb bag?

Seem to run $40-48 around here. ..and GFC 25-28.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

The last time I bought the smaller starter feeds, that have protein content in the 50 percent range, the retail price was in the 50 some dollar range for a 50 pound bag. That vs. say the grower sizes like 500 and 600 that ran in the low to mid 30 dollar range.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/18/15 04:33 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman

I take Steve at Shelby Fish Farm a lot of fish...he's a good guy!

Yes have had nothing but good experiences talking to Steve on the phone and ordering smaller quantities of feed that was shipped. Was going to buy some bluegills from him one year to bolster my numbers after a poor hatch, but that was the year of the winter from hell when a lot of northern fish farms lost bluegills over the winter regardess of winter aeration. He got hit hard that winter.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/18/15 04:34 AM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I bought 2 50 pound bags of AMAX 500 recently. Price with tax was $85.00

I also went by TSC the other day and bought a 25 pound bag of Sportsmans Choice for about $15.00. It is 36% protein but all grain based.

Actually, I'm not sure what makes up the protein on any of them.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
Microsoft OS doesn't run the telephony infrastructure, no wonder it works so well. We invented our own OS long ago and still run on variants of it.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: lassig
Microsoft OS doesn't run the telephony infrastructure, no wonder it works so well. We invented our own OS long ago and still run on variants of it.

PLC based systems have their own OS as well and are rock solid. It's only the programming software that runs on windows which is the source of everyone's misery.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cecil - Your fish food from Shelby Fish Farm is probably going to be Zeigler brand - 40# bags. Several growers in the area bought Zeigler food when Purina was difficult to locate. They like the Zeigler feed and are talking about switching from Purina to Zeigler.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
S
On my AM 500 grain was on the ingredient list way before fish meal. Just sayin.....

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: snrub
On my AM 500 grain was on the ingredient list way before fish meal. Just sayin.....

No surprise there.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Cecil - Your fish food from Shelby Fish Farm is probably going to be Zeigler brand - 40# bags. Several growers in the area bought Zeigler food when Purina was difficult to locate. They like the Zeigler feed and are talking about switching from Purina to Zeigler.

That's even better!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by BCR Pond - 04/19/24 03:42 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?