Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,058
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (emactxag, Ron crismon, jpsdad, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake), 656 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#421094 08/16/15 09:43 AM
10x Offline OP
OP Offline
I got my system in yesterday in a semi-permanent fashion. By that I mean the bank still need to come down a bit but I am allowing it to settle one more winter before final grade so for now, I installed the system with the airlines running up and over the bank on top of the ground.

The pump is located at the house, I run 100 feet of 1 inch to the lower outside bank edge which is maybe 2 feet lower than the pump location and there I have my manifold branching off into three 1/2 inch lines. These lines go up and over the bank out to the diffusers. The system is running great at about 9PSI but I have a couple of concerns.

One is that after running just 24 hours, I can hear the air passing through water in the line at the low spot of the 1 inch line as well as just after the manifold valves. You can hear the air making a gurgling noise as it passes by water in the line. I haven't heard of anyone in their posts making a moisture trap like you would on airlines used to paint, etc.. but that seems to be what I need to do here. Anyone with similar experience? The days right now have been hot and humid. The pump (Gast) runs very hot as you know and I am sure the cooling effect of the line is pulling out the moisture and leaving it in the low spot.

My other concern is what effect if any UV will have on the pipes running up and over the bank until next year when I can bury most of it.

Appreciate any help!
Dan

10x Offline OP
OP Offline
This is the one inch line going to the pond bank - the manifold is about a foot up the bank.

Attached Images
IMG_20150816_111940_123.jpg
Last edited by 10x; 08/16/15 06:05 PM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
That seems like a lot of water after just 24 hours. The manifold is a foot up the side of the bank, and you hear water gurgling there also?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
S
S
I don't know if it is normal or not, but if I pull my lines off at the pump while under pressure, some water spray will shoot out the pipes from the back pressure.

A larger pipe will actually likely have more of a problem with water gathering in low places than a smaller one because the velocity of air travel within the line will be much slower at the same CFM for the larger pipe.

I don't know if it is really a problem as long as it is not freezing weather. In freezing weather the line could freeze shut. But otherwise I would think the gurgling would only create a minimal resistance to the air flow. But I don't really know that for sure.

Last edited by snrub; 08/16/15 09:37 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
D
D
Why not put a tee into the lowest point on your 1" line and add a ball valve which you can open to bleed off accumulated moisture whenever you want?

Last edited by dg84s; 08/16/15 09:45 PM.
10x Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
.... and you hear water gurgling there also?

Yes I can hear it.

Originally Posted By: snrub
I don't know if it is really a problem as long as it is not freezing weather. In freezing weather the line could freeze shut.

That is a major issue for my location. I want to run one of them through the winter and a frozen line will definitely be an issue.

Originally Posted By: dg84s
Why not put a tee into the lowest point on your 1" line and add a ball valve which you can open to bleed off accumulated moisture whenever you want?

I thought of this and it's easy enough to do now but it isn't going to help in the winter when the drain freezes.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
When cold weather arrives you could try unhooking the line at the compressor and adding some RV antifreeze. Unlike alcohol it's non-toxic, easy to obtain, and will not attack plastic and/or rubber lines.

10x Offline OP
OP Offline
Well it happened - lines freezing already.

I am running this on a timer only at night. About 11PM-8AM.

Now we are having some freezing nights (not even a hard freeze yet) and I have discovered my lines are freezing closed putting back pressure on the pump and no aeration.

I changed the main line to 1/2inch running now underground inside the one inch to the bank (100ft away), it then exits the one inch and runs up the bank (exposed) to the manifold which currently is setting on the ground. I am thinking of mounting the manifold vertically that may eliminate the manifold collecting moisture but I don't know how to stop it from settling into the main line coming up the bank.

I ran the airline from the house for the main reason of not running electric to the pond and also not wanting the pump out on the bank of the pond. I am now thinking I may have to build a house for it and mount the manifold directly off the pump into the water so as not to have any region that can collect moisture (no low spots).

I am currently running 3 diffusers but will go to one in the winter so I keep a small area open and the rest can freeze over for skating.

Looking for ideas and thoughts - anyone encounter this before and have a solution?

D
D
How about installing a 1/2 x 1/2 x 1" Tee in your airline at the lowest point. On the 1" side of the Tee, install a simple 1" 24v irrigation valve (~$15) and run the 24v wiring inside the 1" poly line to your Gast pump location where you can install a simple 4-zone Orbit indoor/outdoor irrigation controller (~$39). Have your irrigation valve closed when your Gast pump is running and open afterwards for draining condensation. You could even cycle it open/closed multiple times over a 24-hour period if necessary.

Last edited by dg84s; 10/27/15 03:27 PM.
10x Offline OP
OP Offline

The trouble I think with the vent valve is that the lowest point is underground inside the 1 inch pipe.

It was mentioned to put in antifreeze which wouldn't actually solve it but would a little bit mix with the water already in the line to keep it from freezing? I doubt the winter months will be adding more moisture to the line - I think it was the humid days of summer that caused it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
90+% isopropyl alcohol is used to unfreeze lines, and it also absorbs water. That's what is recommended by the aerator mfg's.

Unhook the line, pour a cup into the line, hook it back up.

Or get the freeze proof devices that Koenders sells. It automatically dumps iso into the line when pressure increases.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
When cold weather arrives you could try unhooking the line at the compressor and adding some RV antifreeze. Unlike alcohol it's non-toxic, easy to obtain, and will not attack plastic and/or rubber lines.

I guess I am a little bit old school on stuff like this. I hate to keep fixing things over and over. IMHO If I have spots in the air line that are freezing up it is because I have "traps" or low points for the moisture to collect. Eliminate the low spots and provide a continuous grade on the air lines. To quote 10X "These lines go up and over the bank out to the diffusers." Cut the lines thru the bank to keep the downward grade and eliminate the "traps" to fix the problem instead of continually fighting it year after year?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
10x Offline OP
OP Offline

I guess I didn't understand the technique - I took this to mean - "shut down for the winter and put in antifreeze". Not "put it in to absorb the water and keep running the system". I will pour some in and see if that cures it.

I will also look into the freeze control system.

Thanks!

10x Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I...... Eliminate the low spots and provide a continuous grade on the air lines. To quote 10X "These lines go up and over the bank out to the diffusers." Cut the lines thru the bank to keep the downward grade and eliminate the "traps" to fix the problem instead of continually fighting it year after year?

If I cut through the bank at the level that the line is, I will be in about 7-8 feet of water. I don't know of any way to cut through the bank with the lines and maintain the integrity of the bank while doing so. Maybe there is a technique for it but I can picture a damn breaking or a leak forming by running it through. Wouldn't that give the water a nice straight path to leak? They cut a "key" around the perimeter when they made the pond to eliminate any direct path for the water.

Hope you understand I am just throwing out possible options. I always look to find a permanent fix for things. Here is another option for you....run an electric wire thru the existing airline pipe to the top of the bank and put the pump there. You have a 1 inch pipe already which is plenty big enough. You would need a way to house the pump but that is cheap. Run a little bit bigger wire and you now have an outlet for electric at the pond should you ever want one. That is what I did at my place.

Last edited by Bill D.; 10/27/15 07:46 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
10x Offline OP
OP Offline

I did give that some thought Bill - one of the reasons for running the one inch "conduit". I ran a pull line along with the 1/2in airline just in case I ever want to run anything else out there but the way the bank is, a house for the pump would not be very aesthetically pleasing but may be something in the future when they come back and re-work a few areas for grade so I haven't entirely ruled it out - but not going to happen this year.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
freeze control unit

One more thing - with the line running on top of the ground like that, it is vulnerable to rodents chewing on it. Squirrels are bad for doing that around here.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
10x Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the info on rodents. The main line is buried now from the house to the pond but is exposed at the bank where it comes out of the ground to the manifold and into the water. Never thought about squirrels chewing it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've had them walk out on the ice during winter and chew on the duck decoys that are marking the summer diffusers in the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Fingerling
Fingerling
Originally Posted By: esshup
90+% isopropyl alcohol is used to unfreeze lines, and it also absorbs water. That's what is recommended by the aerator mfg's.

Unhook the line, pour a cup into the line, hook it back up.

Or get the freeze proof devices that Koenders sells. It automatically dumps iso into the line when pressure increases.

FYI if you can not find or have access to Isopropyl alcohol, wood alcohol will work as a substitute.

Last edited by Joshua Flowers; 10/30/15 10:41 AM.

laugh
Good land management is an extended learning experience-Aldo Leopold
10x Offline OP
OP Offline
Thought an update would be in order.

I bought the Koenders system as they said although it is designed for windmill systems it should also be OK for mine. This morning I proved that wrong.

Looked out at daybreak and I had aeration (temp dropped to 28 in the night). About an hour later - I looked and NO aeration. I ran to the pump to see what was happening (it is located inside an attached shed) and the gallon of alcohol was gone from the jug, the pump sounded sickly, and the pressure wasn't reading. I quickly shut off the pump and when it vented - it spit alcohol right out of the muffler! I removed the airline and ran the pump - it had no head pressure for a bit them started spitting alcohol and eventually cleared itself. I then hooked the line back up and went to the pond and opened a fitting - almost no pressure for a bit and then out came alcohol.

After some time, I got all of the diffusers to work again.

Your first thought will be that I had it hooked up wrong - this is not the case - it is plumbed in properly. I do not believe this is going to work for my setup.

I guess I should have just built a house at the pond and ran wire out there for the pump and I believe that is what I will do next. I want to run one of the diffusers all winter so I have to solve the freezing issue asap.

S
S
I can see where water in the lines would be a big issue.

The standard recommendation is to make sure all air lines run down hill into the pond so there are no low spots for water to accumulate.

Yeah right. Good luck with that one. Maybe if the pump house if right near waters edge. But at least with my level of skill running a trenching machine and not wanting to get a laser level out and hand level the bottom of the trench, good luck in getting a line that is installed perfectly enough so there are no low spots that will hold water. Putting it below the frost line would cure the freezing problem, but just looks like running an air compressor through the winter is problematic and would require some babysitting.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Isopropyl Alcohol is best, RV antifreeze is OK, but it takes more. Compressed air creates a LOT of water condensation. You may try adding an inexpensive, automatic water separator on the output near the Gast pump. If possible, run a loop line to let the air cool and condense the moisture before it enters the separator/ejector.

example... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8JwN0l-_pA

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Is a switch to a piston type compressor feasible for your application? They don't run nearly as hot as your rotary, and shouldn't create as much moisture. be advised that if alcohol enters the comp. or comes into contact with rubber or plastic parts, degradation may occur.

Also, alcohol is hygroscopic, meaning it has an affinity for moisture. Yes, it functions as an antifreeze, but it also attracts moisture.

Last edited by sprkplug; 11/24/15 03:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 07:52 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails