Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#420474 08/08/15 07:14 AM
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
My water well is not producing the water amount it used to produce. The well is 200'+- deep with the down hole pump set @ 160'+-. I called out the water well drillers and they can not find the paper work on my well and the guy who set the pump has died a few months back of throat cancer. Bad deal for sure. So when it comes to the pump and motor we are not sure what we ran in the hole. We think it is a 5 hp pump. The well is about 18 months old and was pumping 62gpm when we brought it on line. Now 18 months later it is doing about half that @ about 32gpm. The driller showed up and we discussed well and he said if we ran another joint of 21' pipe in the well it would probably not increase the water amount , so we pulled a 21' joint of pipe and the well maintained the 32gpm of water. The conclusion, was it's not the aquifer but the pump. So I am asking if the pump can be reworked, or should I just buy another pump. A 5 hp pump is not cheap and would you expect to replace a pump every 18 months or so. Any ideas here ? Thanks, and the pump is used for irrigation and for the pond, since I have not seen any rain in the last 8 weeks or so.

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 08/08/15 07:17 AM. Reason: sp

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
TGW1,
I would like to start with I am no pump expert but I do have 2 water wells on my place.....I will do my best to assist you if I can until some experts do answer your post.

You will probably need some additional information so the correct answer can be obtained. Process of elimination will help you in identifying what the cause my be.

1. Is your pump a 220VAS or 110VAC? If it is 220 VAC, do a voltage check and see if you are actually getting that power.

2. If you are getting your actual power to the control box where the electrical pump ties into, then cut the pump on and do another voltage check at the electrical box but at the electrical wire going into the well and see what the draw down of the power is? This may be an indication there if the pump is having issues.

3. Is there any way to determine the exact water level? Dropping an additional 21' on your pump depth and assuming its the pump my not be completely accurate in my opinion. Not having rain in 8 weeks or so my have dropped the water level more than you realize. Is it possible to remove all of the tubing from the well, take a fishing reel with a weight on the end and drop into the well? You will be able to tell when the weight hits the water, the decent will slow down considerately. Once you find the water level, you can put you a piece of duct tape on your fishing line at the edge of the tubing, reel it up, then stretch the line out on the properly and get an accurate depth.

4. Would you know if anyone in your area has a water well that ties into the same reservoir as you are tapping into? We had a crawfish farmer drill a well, add in a 6" casing into that reservoir and start filling his crawfish ponds. Within a few days are water well dried up until he quit pumping and the reservoir recharged itself back to the normal level. That may be a possibility also.

5. Your pump installer should have given you a book for your pump so you can look it up online and gather information about the pump, maybe get an manufacture of the pump, from there you could give them a call and see what information they can give you on it.

I know this is not the silver bullet to your problem but it may get you started in working out what the problem actually is.

Coupe

I subscribe!
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks coupe, I will ck the voltage at the box that is dedicated to the water well. elec co op set the pole and box for the water well. And I am going to try and get with the water well drilling co. owner today and see what he thinks? since we actually raised the pump some 21 feet in the hole, I don't think it is a reservoir problem but I can't see down there, so it could be. I am thinking it is the pump but we'll see. this may be like a shade tree mechanic kinda thing.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TGW1, in addition to what was said, can you get in touch with any of the workers that were on the crew of the well drilling team? Or was it only one guy who did all the work?

I'd like to know how big the well casing is (6", 8", etc) and how big the well screen is - i.e. did they put one or two lengths of screen on it. Also, what was the screen made from, plastic or stainless steel?

Also, see if you can find out any more information on the well pump, such as who made it and what the capacity is. Did the well driller give you any information on the receipt? Did he give you the owners/operators manual for the pump? Not all 5 hp pumps will pump the same amount of water - not only will the head pressure dictate the amount of flow, the pump will too. I am looking at a Grundfos pump, and a 5 hp pump motor can move different volumes of water, depending on what efficiency of water pump is attached to that motor.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails